• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Cover: Battlefield 3 [FLEABttn to the rescue, new thread soon!]

Jtrizzy

Nirolak said:
They say "campaign" specifically instead of multiplayer mode.

One of the major features of Frostbite 2 is that it lets them create content vastly faster than Frostbite 1.X.
I think it'll be similar in the sense that it will probably just split screen on mp maps with bots. Probably a throwaway bullet point type thing that hopefully took little time/effort on DICE's part.

Oh my god. The king has returned hopefully. I am going to break my strict DO NOT BUY POST STEAM XMAS SALE 2010 game fast to pre-order this. Did not enjoy Black Ops multi much at all. Still love me BC2.

Jtrizzy

The Faceless Master said:
you mean the APC?

why would they do that when they can just sell you more multiplayer content later?
Hmm, I thought it was a new tank at first, but you are right.

I little something for all you sad little people who had no faith, doubting DICE could deliver 64-Player BF3 on PC...

fuckyocouch2o1p.gif

Spookie

Sn4ke_911 said:
* Explosions can knock you down.

But I thought DUDEBROS could walk through explosions in slow mo? :(

Talking of DUDEBROS I would have thought they might have included a entire squad on the cover since the lone wolfs tend to get the shit kicked out of them in BF2.

Normally by an army of terminator-esq, dolphin diving medic squads though. :F

Jtrizzy said:
Looks like we are getting reflex scopes from the cover...anyone else noticed any other small details.
The BFBC2 cover featured a soldier carrying an M4 as well, and there was no M4 in BFBC2.

Nirolak said:
One of the major features of Frostbite 2 is that it lets them create content vastly faster than Frostbite 1.X.
One other interesting thing that hasn't really been talked about is that Johan Andersson (in one of the technical presentations he gave on FB2, might have been SIGGRAPH or GDC) mentioned that the destruction 2.0 stuff actually looked slightly better in Frostbite 1.5 (as compared to FB2), but at the cost of being very tedious on the content creation side. Indicates pretty clearly that speed of content creation is definitely the focus of FB2.

Jtrizzy

Really hoping that I don't have to go out and buy MOH just to be in the beta. I put in close to 150 in the BC2 beta. Also hopefully they divulge some info as to when it will actually be taking place. As much as I love DICE, I'm pretty weary of any promises to ps3 owners after the whole Dr. Pepper DLC debacle I wasted time and money on. Are they really going to do real, closed betas on all 3 platforms? Seems unlikely.

Jtrizzy

Is there a big difference between an M4 and the M416 in BC2 though? That would be strange to show a reflex scope like that and not have it in the game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is there anything new in here? Google translate suggests there is, but I'm always leery of them.

PCgames.de said:
Electronic Arts hat nicht nur die Packshots - ohne USK-Logo - zu Battlefield 3 veröffentlicht, sondern liefert auch gleich interessante neue Informationen zum Spiel. So schlüpfen Sie im Mehrspieler-Shooter in die Rolle eines Elitesoldaten der US-Marines und erleben - neben Multiplayer-Action - auch Einzelspieler-Missionen an verschiedenen Punkten auf der Erde. Darunter Paris, Teheran und New York. Darüber hinaus bestätigte Electronic Arts erneut, dass Battlefield 3 auf die Frostbite Engine 2 setzt - auch das Zerstörungs-Feature, bekannt aus Battlefield: Bad Company 2 ist mit an Bord. Ferner dürfen Sie verletzte Spieler aus der Schusslinie ziehen und sogar Elemente des Terrains als Stativ für Ihre Waffe nutzen.

Im Multiplayer-Modus dürfen Sie sich auf Fahrzeugkämpfe freuen. Jets ziehen ihre Kreise am Himmel, Boote sorgen für Kämpfe auf hoher See und Panzer rollen über das Gelände. Außerdem gibt's Häuserkämpfe in den engen Straßen, Schlachten in großstädtischen Zntren und weite und gut befahrbare Landstriche. Im Multiplayer-Modus der PC-Version kämpfen bis zu 64 Spieler gleichzeitig gegeneinander. Auf Konsolen dürfen hingegen maximal 24 Spieler an den Gefechten teilnehmen. Den ersten Teaser-Trailer zu Battlefield 3 sehen Sie unter diesem Link und wenn Sie noch mehr erfahren wollen, dann besuchen Sie unsere Themenseite zu Battlefield 3.
Source: http://www.pcgames.de/Battlefield-3...Missionen-Packshots-Brandneue-Details-810447/

Can I just say that I really loved the omission of prone in BFBC2, and I agree with Alan Kertz that it really doesn't belong in BF3 from a balance perspective.

I also like the killcam in BFBC2 along with the spotting mechanic, don't find the fact that there are only 4 classes to be a problem (although not averse to seeing 5 either), didn't miss planes terribly although they would be a nice counter to choppers, and would prefer to see slightly higher weapon damage.

TBH, the main improvements I'm looking for from BF3 are more maps (and hopefully with a more open design), a more stable client-server architecture (BFBC2 clients and servers are both very flaky), and maybe a server browser on consoles as opposed to the brainless matchmaking. That way I wouldn't have to do what I've done with BFBC2 which is put IP blocks on all of the overseas BFBC2 servers to stop being sent to 400ms servers on the other side of the world. From a gameplay perspective I find it very hard to find fault with BFBC2, it really caters to my preferences very nicely.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Nirolak said:
Is there anything new in here? Google translate suggests there is, but I'm always leery of them.

Source: http://www.pcgames.de/Battlefield-3...Missionen-Packshots-Brandneue-Details-810447/

Further, you may move injured players out of the way and even use elements of the terrain as a stand for your weapon.

In multiplayer mode, you can look forward to fighting vehicle. Jets are circling in the sky, boats shall roll on the high seas for battles and tanks on the site. In addition, there's urban warfare in the narrow streets, battles in urban Zntren and wide and well-navigable regions.

I used Google translate, i hope you can understand it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sn4ke_911 said:
Further, you may move injured players out of the way and even use elements of the terrain as a stand for your weapon.

In multiplayer mode, you can look forward to fighting vehicle. Jets are circling in the sky, boats shall roll on the high seas for battles and tanks on the site. In addition, there's urban warfare in the narrow streets, battles in urban Zntren and wide and well-navigable regions.

I used Google translate, i hope you can understand it.
Yeah, that top line is what I was most curious about.

I'm tempted to add it to the OP, but it is a google translate.

Edit:

Babelfish gave this translation: "Furthermore you may pull injured players from the line of fire and use even elements of the terrain as stand for your weapon."

That makes a bit more sense than out of the way.

Tokubetsu

Fuck planes. Seriously. I don't miss them at all, not one bit. I can't wait for base raping to start anew. Hopefully the use infantry dynamics from BC/2 so I can actually hit shit at medium range this time. Fuck BF2.

Teaser is just a tease, pc stuff sounds promising but im not preordering just because theres prone and jets.
"Information regarding the BETA will follow. MOH Tier1 and Limited Edition owners, stay tuned for your early access!" ElectronicArtsDE @YT

I bought MOH for this "first"look, Beta prolly later this year thought.

derFeef

Nirolak said:
Yeah, that top line is what I was most curious about.
I'm tempted to add it to the OP, but it is a google translate.
Edit:
Babelfish gave this translation: "Furthermore you may pull injured players from the line of fire and use even elements of the terrain as stand for your weapon."

That makes a bit more sense than out of the way.
Yep, that´s exactly what it says in German.

Sn4ke_911 said:
Woot! Medal of Honor Limited Edition including BF3 beta key, is only 20 € on amazon.de

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B003VM8NTO/

bought.
Thanks, ordered as well ;)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Game said:
Battlefield 3 leaps ahead of the competition with the power of Frostbite™ 2, the next instalment of DICE’s cutting-edge game engine. This state-of-the-art technology is the foundation on which Battlefield 3 is built, delivering superior visual quality, a grand sense of scale, massive destruction, dynamic audio and incredibly lifelike character animations. As bullets whiz by, walls crumble, and explosions throw you to the ground, the battlefield feels more alive and interactive than ever before. In Battlefield 3, players step into the role of the elite U.S. Marines where they will experience heart-pounding single player missions and competitive multiplayer actions ranging across diverse locations from around the globe including Paris, Tehran and New York

Battlefield 3 features:

* Frostbite 2 – Battlefield 3 introduces Frostbite 2, the incredible technology that takes animation, destruction, lighting, scale and audio to new heights. Built upon this powerful game engine, Battlefield 3 immerses players physically and emotionally to the world around them like never before.
* Feel the Battle — Feel the impact of bullets and explosions, drag your fallen comrades into safety, and mount your weapon on almost any part of the terrain. Battlefield 3’s cutting edge animation, spectacular visuals and real as hell battle gameplay attack your senses and make you feel the visceral warriors experience like no other FPS.
* Unparalleled Vehicle Warfare — The best online vehicle warfare experience gets even better with a fitting sonic boom as fighter jets headline impressive lineup of land, air and sea vehicles.
* Urban Combat — Take the fight to iconic and unexpected places in the USA, Middle East, and Europe including claustrophobic streets, metropolitan downtowns, and open, vehicle-friendly landscapes as you fight your way through the war of tomorrow.
Source: http://www.game.co.uk/Games/Xbox-360/Shooter-First-Person/Battlefield-3/~r353698/?s=Battlefield+3

derFeef said:
Yep, that´s exactly what it says in German.
Thank you.

Spookie

Nirolak said:

sweetjesus.gif

Enkidu

Using the environment as a stand for your weapon? I guess it's sort of like they are doing in Red Orchestra 2 then? Because that seemed really cool from what I've seen.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
X-Frame said:
Will there be flyable jets in our gimped console version, or just PC?

My guess is that they will be in all versions, but the full map will be available only for jets on consoles.

Of course they could make maps the same across all platforms but I guess they are not that stupid.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
X-Frame said:
Will there be flyable jets in our gimped console version, or just PC?
The only feature that was flagged as PC exclusive on the blog so far was 64 players.

Given that everything they've hinted at so far has come true, and they've heavily hinted as mod tools, I'm guessing that will be another exclusive feature.

But yes, they've also implied that the console versions won't be missing a bunch of features, so I wouldn't be too worried.

derFeef

Now I hope the maps are designed with 64 palyers in mind and not 24. But that sounds too stupid to be true... right? RIGHT?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
derFeef said:
Now I hope the maps are designed with 64 palyers in mind and not 24. But that sounds too stupid to be true... right? RIGHT?
I imagine they might have cut some of the PC 64 player maps in half to make two 24 player maps.

I'm just guessing though.

X-Frame

Also, what is the reason behind only 24 players for consoles? Is it because the PC is getting dedicated servers so they can handle the 64, whereas console is P2P?

I figured this year would be the end of such small team games, especially a game named BATTLEFIELD.

When there's MAG supporting 256 players, I just find it getting old that these publishers don't want to invest in dedicated servers for the console versions. Oh well. I'm sure they'll make it work.

derFeef said:
I suspect they'll just do what they did with BF2 where there were different map layouts depending on the player count. Even though everyone touts 64 players as the holy land, in BF2 it was much more common to play with lower player counts anyway so the maps need to take that into consideration.

derFeef

Nirolak said:
I imagine they might have cut some of the PC 64 player maps in half to make two 24 player maps.

I'm just guessing though.
That sounds funny somehow. BF2 basically just expanded the map area the higher the playercount (available playerslots) were.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
X-Frame said:
Also, what is the reason behind only 24 players for consoles? Is it because the PC is getting dedicated servers so they can handle the 64, whereas console is P2P?

I figured this year would be the end of such small team games, especially a game named BATTLEFIELD.

When there's MAG supporting 256 players, I just find it getting old that these publishers don't want to invest in dedicated servers for the console versions. Oh well. I'm sure they'll make it work.
Sony and Microsoft enforce a maximum amount of bandwidth you can require in order to play your game.

Since Battlefield has vehicles and destruction, that has to be transferred over the network and takes up a lot of bandwidth, so they can't have as many players without breaking the bandwidth cap.

The game does have dedicated servers though, otherwise they likely couldn't even hit 24.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
It sounds good so far, but DICE will probably fuck up the balance (again).

Nirolak said:
The game does have dedicated servers though, otherwise they likely couldn't even hit 24.
Yeah when you think about all of the data that has to be send as a result of the bullet modelling and destructible environments (e.g. every single new chipped wall or crater on the map has to be there for every single player) you realise that there is no way that P2P could handle it.

Woo-Fu

Banned
derFeef said:

I expect it will work exactly like BF2 did. 64-players will be the entire map, smaller player counts will be a smaller portion of the same map.

I see the infantry crybabies are already starting their anti-vehicle campaign. Guys, I'm sure there will be a karkand style map with almost no vehicles where you can spend your entire day seeing which team can kill the other team first with endless waves of grenade spam... or you could just stick to CoD4.

endlessflood said:
Yeah when you think about all of the data that has to be send as a result of the bullet modelling and destructible environments (e.g. every single new chipped wall or crater on the map has to be there for every single player) you realise that there is no way that P2P could handle it.

But MAG does 265 players!? ...Lol.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The Battlefield theme 'NiN' version sounds sick!
I want it in me. NAO.

X-Frame said:

all the console Battlefield games have dedicated servers. 24 players is because of MS/Sony bandwidth restrictions on games, though i doubt they could push more than 32 with their graphics tech anyway. what am i saying? 32 would be nice, wtf MS/Sony!!!

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
well, they're a first party game... who says they even have to follow the bandwidth rules imposed on 3rd parties? maybe they do... someone should measure bandwidth usage in a 256 player game...

honestly, the cap should be raised. they can even have some kind of 'High Bandwidth' box descriptor or something...

derFeef

The Faceless Master said:
well, they're a first party game... who says they even have to follow the bandwidth rules? maybe they do... someone should measure bandwidth usage in a 256 player game...
Isn´t MAG infantry only? Physics stuff and vehicles will require lot´s of checking back and fourth I guess.

Woo-Fu

Banned
BrLvgThrChmstry said:

MAG isn't p2p, it has dedicated servers.
MAG doesn't have destructible terrain.

The reason the console version of BF3 will have smaller maps and smaller player count than the PC version can be chalked up to the smaller memory footprint of a console.

Top Bottom