• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Cover: Battlefield 3 [FLEABttn to the rescue, new thread soon!]

Metalmurphy said:
Is there a bigger version of this
71067_400x230_3_ALL_SE.jpg

?

Besides the one in the OP from Gameinformer, a clean one.

i think that might just be a thumbnail... for a larger art screenshot thing.

I'd wait it out a bit, DICE always has high res versions of wallpaper-bound screens available, you might just have to wait a while.

The Faceless Master said:
20 is abysmal, i have 100 friends on PS3 and 100 on 360 and it's still not enough!
Now is the time for you to set an example for all your PS3-BC2-GAF brothers...

Buy both the PS3 and PC version of BF3. We would absolutely love to welcome you and your friends to join us in fighting the good fight...heck you might even luck out if DICE throws in Dualshock and XBOX360 controller button mappings!

Imagine a full 32-player GAF-Team....

m6a9lu73n.gif

Nabs

The Faceless Master said:
20 is abysmal, i have 100 friends on PS3 and 100 on 360 and it's still not enough!
don't remind me. i don't even bother adding people to my list anymore, i just follow cuban into servers.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I can see prone wookiees just fine in 1080p, I don't see why PC users shouldn't want prone back in. I could see it becoming an issue at 720p where things aren't as clear and things in the distance aren't as easy to make out.

Also, I am staying the fuck away from and Mumble room that Cuban is in because there are a million things they can still do to make me not care about the game on PC like Punkbuster and friends lists and oh yeah they can pull that VIP nonsense where they withhold half the maps and pretend we are getting free map packs.

Metalmurphy said:
Is there a bigger version of this
71067_400x230_3_ALL_SE.jpg

?

Besides the one in the OP from Gameinformer, a clean one.
None with the man in the middle as far as I know, here's an extra wide version with the man on the left side:

Clean version (PNG):

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Stallion Free said:
I can see prone wookiees just fine in 1080p, I don't see why PC users shouldn't want prone back in. I could see it becoming an issue at 720p where things aren't as clear and things in the distance aren't as easy to make out.

Do you really want Dolphin Diving, man? CoD players do it on consoles just as bad as BF2 players did it on PC, crazy.

I honestly don't mind the loss of prone and lean. Leans tactical, sure, but I never used it and prone isn't really a game changer except for snipers sitting a five miles away or attempting to play dead.

All I have a wishlist for is text chat on consoles so my cripppled ass can at least cuss out half of GAF on the PS3 instead of doing it on GAF where it's "serious business" talk.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheSeks said:
Do you really want Dolphin Diving, man? CoD players do it on consoles just as bad as BF2 players did it on PC, crazy.
Treyarch managed to put prone and lean in Black Ops without either being irritating, at least on PC.

Think I might try to get my hands on MoH LE for 360 or PS3 just in case my PC won't be ready for the beta.

Are there still any out there?
Bear said:
Yeah, outside of the occasional base rape (which most servers ban), you weren't often killed by jets on foot so they never got too annoying.
They did if you ever stepped inside any type of vehicle. And pretty much the only thing that could kill a jet was another jet. Clean Sweep was practically ruined if there was a good pilot on more than zero teams. 50-0 happened all the time. As soon as you got in a tank you got a bomb dropped on your head.

I really hope they've found a way to make them properly balanced.
Jtrizzy said:
So if you are piloting a jet its all about making bombing runs over flags/bases where you think the other team may be?
Manned vehicles and AA stations are highlighted with target boxes. They've got machineguns, missiles and the co-pilot can drop laser-guided missile bombs. They repair and restock ammo by flying over landing strips.

The AA stations do little to nothing as they're stationary, have got limited range and jets have flares. They tried to beef them up but couldn't really as it would also affect their efficiency against choppers.
Sn4ke_911 said:
I love the cover!

http://i.imgur.com/CXRfU.png

Also that official BF3 site in german reveals a few more details.

* Explosions can knock you down.
* You play as a U.S. Marine Elite Soldier.
* Single and Multiplayer will feature locations like Paris, Teheran and New York.[/QUOTE]
Sure it doesn't also take place in Las Vegas? Cover looks much better than the BF2 and BC2 ones. And quite nice in wide format with all the vehicles and shit barreling down the road.

New locations, soldier-dragging, weapon-stabling, cool.
Falling over when near explosions sounds potentially annoying. Or it could be happy fun times. Who knows. [QUOTE=I NEED SCISSORS]I don't know whether to say awesome or FML because of the amount of other games coming out :([/QUOTE]
Awesome. F all other games coming out.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Stallion Free said:
Treyarch managed to put prone and lean in Black Ops without either being irritating, at least on PC.

I'm not saying this is a DERP DERP STOOPID CONSOLES thing, just that it's fucking annoying to play against, PC or console. :|

They tried to beef them up but couldn't really as it would also affect their efficiency against choppers.

Sounds like console BC2 attack choppers. *popcorn.gif for unbalanced air vehicles, AGAIN*

Kibbles said:
Well that was the shittiest trailer I've seen in a long time. Can't say I'm not surprised though.

Yeah, not really a trailer, but instead the definition of "teaser trailer". But it's understandable. Game Informer probably has the world exclusive rights and then we'll see a real trailer after that hits.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheSeks said:
I'm not saying this is a DERP DERP STOOPID CONSOLES thing, just that it's fucking annoying to play against, PC or console. :|
Dolphin dive almost guarantees that you will get killed in Blops and look like a complete idiot. It's not a difficult thing to balance. And communities catch on to it quick because I can't remember the last time I saw someone use dolphin diving in a combat situation.

You probably don't enjoy bunnyhoppers either though do you? If you are going to remove prone you might as well remove the ability to jump as well.

ShOcKwAvE

I always thought jets were completely unbalanced in BF2.

- draw distance made it easy for them to disappear
- good pilots could slow to a crawl and dive from 80 degrees
- sound distance meant you could have no idea what direction they would come from
- only practical defense from the ground was AA missiles, but their ridiculous range meant you could see the jet and point at it, but couldn't lock on (imagine they're coming straight at you, machine gun firing, and you just hope you can get a shot off before you're dead)

Then again, it wouldn't be real Battlefield without planes. They need to be in BF3, albeit with a more practical role.

epmode

Gaogaogao said:
at least punkbuster bans people while you are actually playing the game, and not who knows how much longer after.
It also bans me. From 90% of the games I try to join. I hope Punkbuster dies horribly and I'll probably avoid BF3 if it still uses it.

For up-to-the-minute bans, server admins need to step up.

edit: YES I'VE USED THE STUPID AUTOUPDATERS.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
They just have to beef up counter-plane measures. Make AA more effective and possibly add in AI AA around incappable spawns to prevent base-rape.

Proper good AA and a limit of 2-3 chaff with no ability to get it back (LOL SWOOP BY RUNWAY) could keep them in check. Also, make air-to-air combat between jets better.

Stallion Free said:
Proper good AA and a limit of 2-3 chaff with no ability to get it back (LOL SWOOP BY RUNWAY)
Hah this is also a problem in BC2. Its pretty hard to tag a chopper with a tracer in the first place but when he can just LOLflairsLOL every damn time and keep circling your spawn it gets pretty annoying.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Gaogaogao said:
at least punkbuster bans people while you are actually playing the game, and not who knows how much longer after.

this. I don't understand this PB whining.

I hope they work in Mirror's Edge stuff like, I believe, was talked about in the past.

Momentum based movement rather than a sprint button would be excellent

Hakkuei

epmode said:
It also bans me. From 90% f the games I try to join. I hope Punkbuster dies horribly and I'll probably avoid BF3 if it still uses it.

For up-to-the-minute bans, server admins need to step up.
Did you try to update PB ?

ShOcKwAvE said:
Then again, it wouldn't be real Battlefield without planes. They need to be in BF3, albeit with a more practical role.

Planes were a problem in BF1942 as well. A diligent pilot would destroy AA guns as they respawned and never be threaten by anything other than another plane. The worst issue, though were the plane campers. If you played with random players you could always count on a quarter of your team hopping around the airfield waiting for a plane to respawn. When it did spawn it seemed like a 50/50 chance that it would be destroyed by a teammate that wasn't going to reach it in time.

I wouldn't be devastated if they weren't included but I'm sure there are plenty that would be.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
subversus said:
When the program is based around regular updates and the auto-update feature is horrendously broken and not being up to date leads to you getting kicked, I'd say there is a great reason to be whining.

Also, the program considers many overlays to be hacks. This would include the Steam overlay in COD4 (which Steam had to create a work-around for because PB didn't do shit) and I believe Mumble caused issues for a bit in BC2.

It is an incredibly shit form of anti-hack software. I would rather have no anti-hack at all (bareback) and just rely on server admins because they are far more reliable and less prone to bullshit.

If you can't see anything wrong with PB in what I just described god help you.

1-D_FTW

subversus said:

I felt this way too. Until I started having technical issues. It's easy to not complain about something when you have nothing to complain about. Just hope you never have reason. And no, you're not special or superior for building a PC that never had conflicts. You're simply lucky.

epmode

Hakkuei said:
Did you try to update PB ?
Many, many times. I've done a lot of troubleshooting for that stupid game (BC2) and it just never worked properly. $50 wasted.

0 problems with any of the Valve multiplayer games. Or any others, really.

I remember reading a long time ago that they were building Mirrors edge style climbing up ledges and stuff into BF3. I certainly hope that is in.

olimpia84

Not happy with the player count for consoles. I'm sure they will size the maps accordingly but this will end up being another BC game. Might as well call it BC3. Not a big fan of prone either...

And I really don't want to get a new PC for this so I guess I'm stuck with the inferior console version =/

subversus

epmode said:
Many, many times. I've done a lot of troubleshooting for that stupid game (BC2) and it just never worked properly. $50 wasted.

0 problems with any of the Valve multiplayer games. Or any others, really.

that sounds bad. But there's a chance that you were doing something wrong. Anyway it should autoupdate, like it's advertised, so no excuses for them.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
olimpia84 said:
Not happy with the player count for consoles. I'm sure they will size the maps accordingly but this will end up being another BC game. Might as well call it BC3. Not a big fan of prone either...

And I really don't want to get a new PC for this so I guess I'm stuck with the inferior console version =/
Well its not that DICE can put more RAM and bandwith in the bluray. ;-)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
olimpia84 said:

Honestly, from a marketing standpoint it might actually be better to call it BC3 on consoles. I always here BFBC2 referred to as Bad Company 2 in conversation rather than Battlefield: Blah so there is definitely familiarity with the Bad Company name.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
subversus said:
that sounds bad. But there's a chance that you were doing something wrong. Anyway it should autoupdate, like it's advertised, so no excuses for them.
I'd almost put money on 95% of the kicks you see being from PB failing to update. To someone not familiar with PB it can be a bit confusing as their website is horribly set up. I'm sadly very familiar with it because I have been experiencing it's fail since Call of Duty 1 (the first game I can remember random kicks happening in).

Safe Bet

Banned
Sn4ke_911 said:
His right knee protector is shifted.
strap-on knee pads dig into the back of your legs so it's much more comfortable to slide them down when not in use

it's nice attention to detail imo

subversus

Stallion Free said:
I'd almost put money on 95% of the kicks you see being from PB failing to update.

and I was thinking "wow, it really works, so many damn cheaters in our games!"

JonnyKtyler said:
I remember reading a long time ago that they were building Mirrors edge style climbing up ledges and stuff into BF3. I certainly hope that is in.
Oh my god yes please. Maybe the lighter weight classes can perform more advanced/quicker maneuvers (though nothing too crazy of course).

So psyched for this. When can we expect to see the issue hit stores/mailboxes?

Oh and I love the (implied) direction they're going for. I was hoping for WWII again (lol, I know, long shot) but this is even better. Allied cities destroyed from WWIII, gloomy and dreary shit. Just what I get from the art. I just hope there's little middle eastern maps. So sick of that shit already.

Cuban Legend said:
i think that might just be a thumbnail... for a larger art screenshot thing.

I'd wait it out a bit, DICE always has high res versions of wallpaper-bound screens available, you might just have to wait a while.

Now is the time for you to set an example for all your PS3-BC2-GAF brothers...

Buy both the PS3 and PC version of BF3. We would absolutely love to welcome you and your friends to join us in fighting the good fight...heck you might even luck out if DICE throws in Dualshock and XBOX360 controller button mappings!

Imagine a full 32-player GAF-Team....

http://h-6.abload.de/img/m6a9lu73n.gif
yea yea, i've played a little bit of Quake and UT on PC back in the 20th century, and played OutTrigger on DC with a KB/M and even played a littie bit of UT3 with a super awesome (at the time) Microsoft Habu gaming mouse on PS3.

triple dipping... i dunno... i mean i do have a 24" dell monitor...

derFeef

Stallion Free said:
I'd almost put money on 95% of the kicks you see being from PB failing to update. To someone not familiar with PB it can be a bit confusing as their website is horribly set up. I'm sadly very familiar with it because I have been experiencing it's fail since Call of Duty 1 (the first game I can remember random kicks happening in).
I basically update(reinstall) PB every time before I even try to play a game that uses it becasue I know it´s going to kick me from the server within seconds. It's painful.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Just echoing how stupid Punkbuster is. When people would come over to my house to play BC2, they'd constantly get kicked by PB on my secondary PC even though it's set up (software wise) exactly the same as my primary. It's like there's no rhyme or reason to it.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The first time a buddy roars overhead in a jet in 7.1 surround sound to carve a path towards an objective, I just might cry.

Top Bottom