• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Cover: Battlefield 3 [FLEABttn to the rescue, new thread soon!]

Woo-Fu said:
MAG isn't p2p, it has dedicated servers.
MAG doesn't have destructible terrain.

The reason the console version of BF3 will have smaller maps and smaller player count than the PC version can be chalked up to the smaller memory footprint of a console.

Thanks for confirming information I already knew... I was being sarcastic?

jonremedy

Woo-Fu said:

The reason the console version of BF3 will have smaller maps and smaller player count than the PC version can be chalked up to the smaller memory footprint of a console.

Battlefield on consoles isn't player-hosted either. Always has been dedicated servers-based.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
What a wonderful way to wake up! Take my money now, DICE!

I will be upgrading my video card for this. Hopefully it comes out this year.

Rorschach

The Faceless Master said:
it looks like people will get everything they want... except for no punkbuster!
Good news about prone, but I doubt it. I'll remain pessimistic without reason and prematurely angry. >:|

If I'm right, I get all anger out of the way now and enjoy me some Red Orchestra. If I'm wrong, I'm pleasantly surprised and enjoy the game even more!

zlatko

Banned
It'll be interesting to see how good BF3 multiplayer can be after the Bad Company games influence. I loved BF2, but both Bad Companies did nothing for me.

2011 year of the too many amazing games. :/

Rorschach

Ysiadmihi said:
64 players is definitely a step in the right direction. I just hope PC has bigger maps to support it properly.
They could just take the 32p version of the maps and put them on consoles. The BF2 maps scaled really well.

zlatko said:
It'll be interesting to see how good BF3 multiplayer can be after the Bad Company games influence. I loved BF2, but both Bad Companies did nothing for me.
Same here. I hope it's not BC3, but I'm not optimistic about the chances.

24 Players? 64 Players for PC Users? Wow... biggest joke ever. Next stop : PS2 graphics for Console gamers.

Edit : Jets for Console gamers? Probably no.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
dark_inferno said:
24 Players? 64 Players for PC Users? Wow... biggest joke ever. Next stop : PS2 graphics for Console gamers.

And they're not even making a Wii version! Wtf is this crap DICE?

mr_nothin

Banned
endlessflood said:
Yeah when you think about all of the data that has to be send as a result of the bullet modelling and destructible environments (e.g. every single new chipped wall or crater on the map has to be there for every single player) you realise that there is no way that P2P could handle it.
Um, not really. I'm not sure why a lot more devs havent taken the Valve approach to this. Have a lot of the physics client based instead of having the server handle all of that data. Just have the rubble (the smaller bits of rubble) affect the player. Not every bit of information, that gets relayed back and forth between the server and the clients, needs to be consistent.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
dark_inferno said:

Time for the Bad Company 2 argument, you should just be happy that you're getting it at all.

feel

Bring it!! I love Bad Company 2!

I'm fine with 24 players, I mostly like to play the controlled Rush gametype where the combat its focused small sections of the map at the time. Jets would be cool to have on consoles, but unlikely. And DICE please keep prone away from the console version while you're in the mood of putting less content on it, sure it's very satisfying to have the option to just lay on the floor, but it's freaking annoying once all over the place there's douchebag snipers camping behind bushes or carton of milk 2 miles away or something.

Zzoram

Why couldn't they just use Steamworks instead of Punkbuster. Steamworks is free vs paying for Punkbuster. Punkbuster is the ultimate shit, ruining computers and freaking out antivirus.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
People are creaming because of 64p and Jets, in a Battlefield PC game? Goddamnit.

And that teaser :mad:

Only interesting things we know is engine related

Nabs

Zzoram said:
Why couldn't they just use Steamworks instead of Punkbuster. Steamworks is free vs paying for Punkbuster. Punkbuster is the ultimate shit, ruining computers and freaking out antivirus.

I agr...

<PunkBuster: Kicked player 'Nabs' (for 0 minutes)... PB INIT FAILURE (If this persists, please visit everbalance.com and update Punkbuster manually).>

1-D_FTW

I'm going to cautiously give Dice the benefit of the doubt and assume they're including scalable maps like in BF2. And not just letting PC players turn 24 player maps into clusterfucks with 64. I'm not sure this is an assumption that I should be making, but I will.

Woo-Fu said:

No it isn't. Dice has commented on the record and it's common knowledge that's repeatedly stated on gaf: Sony and MS have bandwith caps that were fashioned a decade ago. They're obsolete and were designed for an ISDN world. This is the problem.

Zzoram said:

Hey now. And have friends lists that are bigger than 20 players? Crazy talk. As much as I HATE punkbuster, I consider this as equally outdated. What I wouldn't give to just use the Steam's friend list to join games.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
dark_inferno said:

What do you expect? Consoles are old and limited hardware.
You cant expect the same performace as a PC.
In fact im glad that DICE is not supporting DX9 anymore.
tl;dr: If you want the best BF3 version buy it on PC.

Also : PunkBuster sucks! I cant play BFP4Free Beta anymore since they turn on PunkBuster.... or maybe im a punk and im being busted? :0

dark_inferno said:

The consoles already look like ps2 games compared to the PC.

Whats your point.

dark_inferno said:

Biggest joke ever? Why should PC versions of games be held back because console versions can't support everything they want to do?

dark_inferno said:

emperorpalpatine_butthurt.jpg

This is Battlefield 3, the successor to Battlefield 2, from a long running series of PC Exclusive 65-player multiplayer titles. You should expect no less from DICE's flagship PC multiplayer series.

It its not Bad Company 3, it's just using Frostbite 2.0 which was the successor to Frostbit 1 used to develop Bad Company and Bad Company 2.

Please stop the complaining and be glad that the consoles are even getting BF3...
dice-has-altered-consoplfy.jpg

I'll probably double dip and buy it on console on PC.

I wonder if they're going to break players into smaller groups MAG style so you won't be seeing everyone at once and it'll be more of a guided experience. That way could shoot for some kind of parity on both platforms. On consoles the external(to your location) combat is implied but not player controlled, while the PC version will be played by the additional players.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
ScOULaris said:
Game Informer cover stories are the epitome of "meh."
Really why the hell they had to name COD in the BF3 reveal cover?

Arnie

Anyone who didn't think the sequel to Battlefield 2 would be significantly better on the PC was kidding themselves. As for player counts it's quite simple, Consoles have 512mb of Ram or less, the average PC has significantly more. Add in superior graphics cards and processors and it's obvious why such distinctions need to be implemented.

This is the game which makes me build a gaming rig again. Although I'll probably buy a console copy as well as a pc copy.

Just show me the gameplay DICE, and those big urban environments. Anyone who has seen my post history knows the single thing I want from this game coming from the Bad Company offshoot was urban, dense, claustrophobic environments.

1-D_FTW

Pai Pai Master said:
This isn't Killzone. Battlefield 2 maps were great.

BF2 maps scaled. Get it? If Dice is creating 16/24/64 maps like in BF2, then it's awesome news. If Dice is creating 24 map player maps optimized for consoles and letting PC players toss in 64 players on the exact same map, it's a clusterfuck.

Ysiadmihi said:
Why would he be telling Boba Fett this?
He tells Boba Fett something that's not in the Lando's deal with Vader. right after that, lando complains and vader tells him the quote.

Oh and Google Image search didn't help too much in finding a better image. If you find one better, please let me know.

Druz

1-D_FTW said:
BF2 maps scaled. Get it? If Dice is creating 16/24/64 maps like in BF2, then it's awesome news. If Dice is creating 24 map player maps optimized for consoles and letting PC players toss in 64 players on the exact same map, it's a clusterfuck.

I don't know why even the biggest skeptics are assuming they would.

markot

Banned
Punkbuster is so dam awfulllllllllll..... I dont get why Activision is willing to use steam for Cod but EA keep half assing it with terrible broken server browsers and pbuster...

f0rk

Druz said:
I don't know why even the biggest skeptics are assuming they would.

Because they used the same maps with 8 (?) extra players in BC2. It's clearly not the same as 24 -> 64 though so should be fine, with 2 versions of each map.
Hope they keep conquest as the game type focus.

Gaogaogao

markot said:
Punkbuster is so dam awfulllllllllll..... I dont get why Activision is willing to use steam for Cod but EA keep half assing it with terrible broken server browsers and pbuster...
at least punkbuster bans people while you are actually playing the game, and not who knows how much longer after.

Top Bottom