• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Evolve (TurtleRock(L4D)/2K, PC/PS4/XB1, CryEn, 4v1 PvP) [Screenshot]

GD1551

Banned
Titanfall is another title that fails to impress me enough to even begin to care about. It looks tremendously underwhelming and the online multi-player-only focus completely turns me off.

What is so wrong with Single-player these days? Why limit the design document to multiplayer only and in doing so - limit the scope and potential feature set of the game?!?

I like how gamers cry when a SP game has tacked on MP but then clamour for MP games to have tacked on SPs. It's amazing really.

Yay. Another multiplayer focused next gen title

I like how gamers cry when a SP game has tacked on MP but then clamour for MP games to have tacked on SPs. It's amazing really.

It would be amazing if those "gamers" were the same people. But that would require you not to be lazy and single out specific posters

White Man

You do realize that there's still far more single player only games than online games? It's crazy how people react to this. There's a lot of people who want games built for online and have a ton of content for it, so why can't games like that exist? Alien: Isolation is single player only and I don't see people freaking out.

I think in this case it's okay for people to bitch in disappointment since there was an entire bigass hype thread about the mystery game's reveal. It's not like they're entering the thread for some arbitrary MP game thread and complaining.

Somewhat disappointing. I was expecting a game similar to ZombiU's Zombie Master multiplayer mode where you have one person on the gamepad controlling enemy spawns (different types/levels/amts of zombies) and the other players on the traditional controllers working to defeat the single "Zombie Master".

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
The ADD gamer generation of cod kiddies doesnt like singleplayer games.

Yea, singleplayer games (like GTA) just don't sell anymore.
I think in this case it's okay for people to bitch in disappointment since there was an entire bigass hype thread about the mystery game's reveal. It's not like they're entering the thread for some arbitrary MP game thread and complaining.

If people have learnt by now to manage their expectations whenever GI tweets about their new cover, then it's their own fault for being disappointed.

bjaelke

1489293_2680816566836aojsm.jpg
evol v e

4 v 1

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It does sound kinda like Predator. I dunno. Premise is fine. Multiplayer only kills a bit of my enthusiasm. Don't like the aesthetics shown so far.

Multiplayer pretty much guarantees I cannot judge this until I play it for myself. I'm pretty fickle with multiplayer games, and so much hinges on level design and skill balance, and community. A preview won't show me that.

antitrop

Titanfall is another title that fails to impress me enough to even begin to care about. It looks tremendously underwhelming and the online multi-player-only focus completely turns me off.

What is so wrong with Single-player these days? Why limit the design document to multiplayer only and in doing so - limit the scope and potential feature set of the game?!?

Get in your time machine and travel back to 1999 so you can bitch about Unreal Tournament and Quake 3, too.

- Infamous Second Son
- Rime
- The Witness
- Everybody's Gone to Rapture
- The Order 1886
- Quantum Break
- Transistor

Just to think of a few.

I said 2015-2016. The above are pretty much all already announced titles. The move to online games will be the de facto DRM of next-gen.

Coolwhip

Banned
4 vs 1 sounds really cool. Have other games done it well before? (I'm not up to date with the dudebro games of the last years)

Concept17

well:

MP centric
"hunted" aspect(Xv1)
basically AvP/NS with some tweaks

*shrug* looks pretty generic to me

I first thought it was going to be 4v4, with 4 players controlling various aspects of the monster, but it's just a standard Xv1 game.

If the game's mechanics are half as interesting as L4D, then it will hardly be generic.

You have both. Go play single player games if the multiplayer ones don't interest you.

Do you work for 2K games or something? Why the negative backlash towards my opinion?

You can play these games since you feel the need to "White Knight" them. They are not for me, sorry to disappoint you with my humble opinion.

Listonosh

This sounds interesting, but the whole CONCEPT of the game sounds like what should be one of the MODES in a game's multiplayer portion. I don't see how I could possibly buy a game that has one online mulitplayer mode as the entire concept of the game.

I'm actually pretty disappointed after thinking it would be more like L4D in that you go through levels and things like that. This 4v1 PvP thing would have been an awesome additive to a game like that, but not the whole game itself.

This exactly ^

Obviously I can't talk shit until I actually see the game, but I can't see myself investing in something that as you put it, should essentially be a mode, not the core of the game.

Bor

Neo Member

I think it's time to accept that not every game is made for you, and that lots of other people enjoy these type of games, so being bitter about it really isn't wise

Publishers can better control and nickel and dime the gamers with online multiplayer games.

Its all about monetising the player.

inkls

Umm excuse me sir, have you ever heard of a game called Tearaway? Or The Stanley Parable? Or Gone Home? Or Rayman Legends? Or Papers, Please? I could go on.

But those are mostly indie games, those don't count as real games silly!

Mik317

Umm excuse me sir, have you ever heard of a game called Tearaway? Or The Stanley Parable? Or Gone Home? Or Rayman Legends? Or Papers, Please? I could go on.

I am pretty sure he's talking about the next gen consoles (PS4 and xbone). Only Rayman is coming to those

L1NETT

there's no real reason why this couldn't support some sort of single player campaign.

Point is, there is no real reason it might need it, aside from pointlessly providing filler in order to justify a 60 quid price tag.

If a game doesn't need a SP I for one am happy for it not to have. Not every game needs one.

There is room for both SP games and smaller, lower priced MP only games. Not sure why people see one as replacing another.

Yikes at the reaction here. I wonder if the developers still feel like GI did them a favor by hyping this up.

Just a normal cover story would have a lot better for the game. With the bullshit that was spewed by GI there was gonna be a backlash. Especially if the game didnt deliver.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Do you work for 2K games or something? Why the negative backlash towards my opinion?

You play these games since you feel the need to "White Knight" them. They are not for me, sorry to disappoint you with my humble opinion.

No, I just find it funny that you wan't these games to go away when others want them. All you have to do is merely not play them, not act like they shouldn't exist.

That bugs the hell out of me. If it's not for you it's not for you. Don't squash others' fun by acting like the whole thing shouldn't exist and they should have done X other style of game just for you.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Seriously. It's becoming unbearable. People have no trust in new IPs or creativity anymore.

I can definitely understand what both of you are saying, it seems like a trend on forums overall, but there's also the fact that the amount of big titles that are not shooters, not online-focused (or worse, online-only) is low these days, and that's probably the biggest reason for this continue hatred for new announcements. Look at Alien's thread: lots of people interested.

The fact this game seems to be online-only kind of sucks for those like me who like also single experiences, but it could be fun. It sounds like an interesting approach, especially if the creature evolves as I've seen theorized by many Gaffers in this very thread. I'd love to see a local multiplayer component, but I suppose that won't happen, right?

...Aaaaaand this would have actually worked very well on Wii U: 4 players with Wiimotes, one (the Beast) with the GamePad.

Raide

Left 4 Dead team huh.

So basically remove the horde of zombies and replace that with 1 enemy that evolves while getting hunting by humans? Could work. Really depends on how interesting they make the evolution and how balanced they make it.

Still would prefer new Left 4 Dead though.

VanWinkle

I've spent about 1000 hours playing the L4D series in Versus mode.

By comparison, I invest maybe 10-20 hours per single player game, should I buy at full price.

The value is there if this is anything like L4D.

Why does everything have to be single-player? There are plenty of single-player games out there.

I understand that. People put thousands of hours into iOS games, too. The point is that, if you're going to charge $60 for a game, it doesn't have to just have QUALITY content (though it certainly needs that), but it has to offer ENOUGH content to justify that price point. I don't think somebody should get off charging $60 for something that would be a MODE in a mulitplayer aspect of a game. I'm not trying to undervalue what we know about the game so far - it sounds really interesting - but I just couldn't see this taking off at full retail price.

GD1551

Banned
Yay. Another multiplayer focused next gen title

It would be amazing if those "gamers" were the same people. But that would require you not to be lazy and single out specific posters

Stop pretending that it's an isolated incident, especially on neogaf.

seady

4 vs 1.
Sounds like one of those multiplayer modes (in Pikmin 3, NintendoLand etc) Nintendo been experimenting with the Wii U.

ultron87

This exactly ^

Obviously I can't talk shit until I actually see the game, but I can't see myself investing in something that as you put it, should essentially be a mode, not the core of the game.

Since it is the core of the game it can be fleshed out far more than a simple mode.

I'd make it so the monster being hunted and the map selected is like selecting a mode. Sometimes you'd be in a jungle hunting an invisible predator that is slowly picking off your team mates. Other times you're defending a base from a creature that can spawn minions and is overwhelming your defenses till you can push out and finish it off.

Concept17

I wonder how many people would be complaning about this being an online only multiplayer shooter if they announced L4D3?

Everyone.

It's Turtle Rock. The guys who came up with the ingenious L4D mechanics, that, when brought into versus mode, were a revelation for a multiplayer shooter, and no one has been able to come up with anything as unique since.

Why would we care about single-player from these guys?

LOCK

When I read it was 5 players, it made me sad to realize this won't be on the Wii U the system practically made for this game.

Oh wells, seems interesting.

Good Lord, there are some crazy knee jerk responses in this thread. What the fuck are some of you basing your apparently cemented conjectures on? A screen shot and cover art? Who's to say there is only one game mode? That the game will be a full priced $60 game?

The instant hate for lots of the new games being announced with little to no info is utterly baffling. If your first response to new IP in this industry is hate, you may want to find a new goddamn hobby.

Top Bottom