• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Rumor: Xbox 720 and PS4 to be revealed around GDC in March

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
So a specific Playstation Meeting like they did with the Vita? Sounds good to me.
For best possible distribution of information to retailers at the upcoming Destination PlayStation event, a PlayStation Meeting prior to it would be a very wise thing for Sony to do. Alternatively at Destination PlayStation they could show the console in private to select members (such as GameStop CEO Paul Raines). Though that could cause confusion among those not invited. As I pointed out here though, they could easily make a good show with PS3/Vita titles alone.

I watched the whole keynote several months ago (it's somewhere on GameSpot) and I don't remember there being any mention of the 360 hardware. They did talk about the new user interface, and they showed off some XNA tech demos, but I think that was it. Hardware details from that article were known months in advance.

So I guess they still mentioned the console, it's just that they didn't really provide many new details about it.

That's a press release, not an article. It was the first official confirmation from MS of 360's existence, AFAIK, and even that set a record for shortest period of time between such confirmation and launch. (At least, in the last couple generations - I don't know exactly when Saturn or the Sony-only incarnation of PlayStation were officially announced.)

Wynnebeck

Banned
Rösti;46434087 said:
For best possible distribution of information to retailers at the upcoming Destination PlayStation event, a PlayStation Meeting prior to it would be a very wise thing for Sony to do. Alternatively at Destination PlayStation they could show the console in private to select members (such as GameStop CEO Paul Raines). Though that could easily cause confusion among those not invited. As I pointed out here though, they could easily make a good show with PS3/Vita titles alone.

This is what I think is going to happen. Sony will unveil the PS4 and games to retailers at DP to get them ready for the launch while the world premiere won't be until later before E3. Then at E3, expand upon the system and detail launch titles. As long as Sony plays their cards right, it should be a successful unveiling.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Aren't the majority of all "at or around gdc" rumors false though? Historically?

The most common time this happens is with games that are at GDC, but the publisher decides not to officially unveil them, yet high level journalists still get to play them.

Hardware at GDC doesn't really have a track record of not showing up.

Play games? I'm sure you have a backlog ,

Meh, I don't play as many as I used to that's for sure. I am playing Forza Horizon, Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row 3 and Halo 4 right now (along with some other handheld ones) ... but nothing really coming out except GTA 5 has my interest and the only games I really want to play that have already launched are Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed 3.

I mean, I get it ... there are a ton of choices (and I left out a ton of games that I'm just waiting for the price to drop) out there but I just received a new TV for Xmas and while PC-out can satiate some of my graphics-whoreness, I really want to see what's new for the consoles. They really are overdue.

It's 70% excited for new games and 30% excited to just see the new tech and have new shiny things with buttons.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's a press release, not an article. It was the first official confirmation from MS of 360's existence, AFAIK, and even that set a record for shortest period of time between such confirmation and launch. (At least, in the last couple generations - I don't know exactly when Saturn or the Sony-only incarnation of PlayStation were officially announced.)

Microsoft favors shorter unveils these days, while Sony likes longer ones.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were targeting E3/a May event, got word of Sony going earlier, and started moving up their reveal.

derFeef

Microsoft favors shorter unveils these days, while Sony likes longer ones.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were targeting E3/a May event, got word of Sony going earlier, and started moving up their reveal.

Hm, I don't know, going by their WP8 and Surface unveils, that was some long wind up...
But I guess that's very different to the xbox division.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hm, I don't know, going by their WP8 and Surface unveils, that was some long wind up...
But I guess that's very different to the xbox division.
Yeah, I only mean in regard to Microsoft's Xbox division, where E3 either announces or gives the first real look (so like, not just a CG trailer that might appear prior) on a game that's coming not too much later.

MajorGravy

Neo Member
At this rate Trico may as well be a ps4 launch title...

On another note I'm ready* for the new xbox as long as it's backwards compatible with 360 and xbla games. Well now I can't wait for GDC to see what happens.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
At this rate Trico may as well be a ps4 launch title...

On another note I'm reading for the new xbox as long as it's backwards compatible with 360 and xbla games. Well now I can't wait for GDC to see what happens.

I wouldn't mind this if it meant better image quality.

Petrichor

Leaving a reveal to E3 would be madness - particularly if the new consoles are set to be as feature-packed as the leaked microsoft powerpoint seems to indicate. They'd need a five hour press conference to communicate all of the hardware features and functionality, not to mention the software lineup.

Microsoft's 2005 strategy, with a hardware-focused conference in the spring followed by a software unveiling at E3, is the most sensible option.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Given that what's holding up development is apparently "technical problems", it also might mean the game would actually come out at all.

Based on the trailers already out, I can only guess they ran into RAM bottlenecks for what they're trying to achieve.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So to narrow down at least when Sony will reveal. Either before DPS or after DPS but before GDC?

Would that be fair?

Yeah, GDC is at the end of March, and Destination PlayStation is at the end of February.

If the system will be at DPS, it will presumably be revealed in early-mid February.

Prior to GDC would be early-mid March.

Based on the trailers already out, I can only guess they ran into RAM bottlenecks for what they're trying to achieve.

Yeah the problem games run into these days are almost always memory and not visuals/graphics, since those are easy to downgrade.

scsa

I think this might be relevant to the discussion.

In an interview with Chilean news outlet El Mercurio Online, Sakamoto was asked about the new system, and whether we’d be hearing an announcement in the coming months.

“It’s still a big secret, but our Sony PlayStation friends are getting ready. I only can say that we’re focused on the games related E3 event, booked for June. The announcement can take place there or even before, in May.”

Sony Home Entertainment VP ---- Hiroshi Sakamoto

SOURCE

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I have to think to myself wonder if this is happening now because Nintendo is in a weak position.

I imagine the biggest push is that developers want to announce games.

If you look at the release calendar, you will notice almost no revealed games for Fall 2013 or later, yet this is normally when marketing for Fall 2013/Q1 2014 titles starts.

muu

Leaving a reveal to E3 would be madness - particularly if the new consoles are set to be as feature-packed as the leaked microsoft powerpoint seems to indicate. They'd need a five hour press conference to communicate all of the hardware features and functionality, not to mention the software lineup.

Microsoft's 2005 strategy, with a hardware-focused conference in the spring followed by a software unveiling at E3, is the most sensible option.

Biggest minus to a E3 reveal would be missing out on the chance to dominate the news scoop for a day. Not too far off from being born on New Years eve.

THE:MILKMAN

Yeah, GDC is at the end of March, and Destination PlayStation is at the end of February.

If the system will be at DPS, it will presumably be revealed in early-mid February.

Prior to GDC would be early-mid March.

Feb or Mar would be great. Another thing I'm really interested in seeing is how the new systems look.

ekim

If you look at the release calendar, you will notice almost no revealed games for Fall 2013 or later, yet this is normally when marketing for Fall 2013/Q1 2014 titles starts.

I asked this myself. Even if the new consoles come out Q4 2013 - what titles will be released between May and then? Usually the most games release October/November. So my guess is, that PS4/720 will come out around this time. March reveal would induce that Devs can start marketing for their games.

ilWKLaYBxuerO.gif

Barnie is a terrible speller.

derFeef

Barnie is a terrible speller.

Aha? :)

I asked this myself. Even if the new consoles come out Q4 2013 - what titles will be released between May and then? Usually the most games release October/November. So my guess is, that PS4/720 will come out around this time. March reveal would induce that Devs can start marketing for their games.

Yeah, but I guess big first party games still would have to wait for E3. I need some teases though :)

zomaha

"That doesn't mean E3 won't be without its surprises. Next-gen games will be announced at the convention in preparation for the systems' release at the end of the year."

holy fuck, why did i think next-gen consoles weren't being released until mid-to-late 2014? this is awesome

I don't mean the actual launch. That was guaranteed. I mean the early hype and possible early reveals. I expected everything to be hush hush til e3. It's like leaky faucets now heh
no they were never going to wait until e3 too announce their console. It makes no sense for a lot of reasons. There's too much info to get out there and E3 isn't the place to throw everything at the wall.

TheOddOne

One thing is for sure, next CoD will be 360/PS3/720/PS4/WiiU.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
A Battlefield game at launch would be amazing, although it may just be a port like most launch titles are. Just look at Call of Duty 2 on the 360 then compare that to MW1.

I imagine BF4 would scale up a bit (like 64 players and improved settings at least).

But yeah it still has to have core functionality on the last platforms.

Top Bottom