• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: " Why Xenoblade Chronicles Makes Me Want To Punch a Kitten"

Venfayth

Bahahaha we got a shoutout from the man himself :)

2nMBr.png

Personally, I couldn't play Xenoblade. I dunno if it was just a shitty TV I was playing on or what, but some of the game was just too hard to see. I'll try playing it again on a different TV or two that I have around the house, and if all else fails, I will try and play it on Dolphin, because those Dolphin shots people put up on the first page are GORGEOUS.

zashga

Such a weird take on a great game. I've been playing plenty of PS3 and PC games this year, but Xenoblade is still beautiful to me. It's kinda sad that people would see something like Gaur Plains and only be able to think, "this should look so much better!" I just thought "wow," jaggies be damned. It's a great game in its own right; it doesn't need to be some sort of colossal, generation-defining supergame.

I'm also not convinced that you could necessarily have thrown Xenoblade on an HD console with twice the budget and gotten the same result at higher fidelity. Maybe there's a reason why we haven't seen a game like this in HD. (You know, a reason beyond "Square sucks!" or whatever.)

Alucrid

Banned
Bahahaha we got a shoutout from the man himself :)

2nMBr.png

Personally, I couldn't play Xenoblade. I dunno if it was just a shitty TV I was playing on or what, but some of the game was just too hard to see. I'll try playing it again on a different TV or two that I have around the house, and if all else fails, I will try and play it on Dolphin, because those Dolphin shots people put up on the first page are GORGEOUS.

Chris Kluwe thinks I'm cool!

Too bad the Vikings suck.

-GOUKI-

Yeah, concept art always tends to have extremely low resolution wood textures and your standard misaligned Dolphin bloom.

As I stated, those are Dolphin shots (at a very high resolution) with character art put in place of the (low-poly, jaggy) character models intended for PC wallpaper use.

http://www.siliconera.com/postgallery/?p_gal=201806|0

They are concept arts in the official artbook silly. You can see them there.

The reason there's low poly and texture artifacts is because they use the ingame assets in the art just like many other games.

I wish my dolphin version looked that good.

Whatever about the specifics I feel the same as Chris.

Because it's on Wii, because of how it looks, even though I really enjoy the game, I'm reluctant to get further in it. So much of the Wii feels like a chore, either graphically or input wise. The CC Pro I got with it, while pretty, feels like such a cheap light piece of plastic in comparison to the much weightier and nicer 360 pad.

LOVE how Xenoblade looks on Dolphin.

StevieP

Banned

http://www.siliconera.com/postgallery/?p_gal=201806|0

They are concept arts in the official artbook silly. You can see them there.

The reason there's low poly and texture artifacts is because they use the ingame assets in the art just like many other games.

I wish my dolphin version looked that good.

I found the links to the photos from an emulation-related forum.
What did they do, use Dolphin to make the screens?

Aside from the low res grass texture in the foreground and the obviously low-poly character model, you can still see the misaligned bloom and such from this Dolphin shot:

marsh.png

Levyne

Banned
Reading comprehension really isn't an issue when the biggest gripe is not the content but rather the tone of his article. He tries to be figurative but outside of "poo" adjectives and cliche sayings like "flush down the toilet", the best he can come up with is punching kittens and mailing severed unicorn heads.

Granted, he's a football player.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I mean I agree with all of this guy's points... but the thing is the gaming community already said this about... 4 years ago?

It's not worth an article.

Although I have an interesting question: Why did this game come out only the Wii? It doesn't use any sort of motion control or other Wii features. Was Wii just the best platform for this game's budget and vision? It's really surprising that these guys didn't go all out for 360 or PS3. I mean maybe the Wii was just the right scale for their vision, and the cost of a HD version of this game as a new IP just wasn't worth the risk, but still surprising to me.

Levyne

Banned
I mean I agree with all of this guy's points... but the thing is the gaming community already said this about... 4 years ago?

Although I have an interesting question: Why did this game come out only the Wii? It doesn't use any sort of motion control or other Wii features. Was Wii just the best platform for this game's budget and vision? It's really surprising that these guys didn't go all out for 360 or PS3.

I mean maybe the Wii was just the right scale for their vision, and the cost of a HD version of this game as a new IP just wasn't worth the risk, but still surprising to me. Honestly this game would do great to see a Vita port IMO.

The answer is that MonolithSoft is owned by Nintendo

MYE

I'm also not convinced that you could necessarily have thrown Xenoblade on an HD console with twice the budget and gotten the same result at higher fidelity. Maybe there's a reason why we haven't seen a game like this in HD. (You know, a reason beyond "Square sucks!" or whatever.)

Yeah, some people blame the Wii for any flaw a game might have, but tend to forget that the limitations might also be directly responsible for the gratest ideas of that same title.

Would Super Mario Galaxy exist if the Wii was HDSystemNr.3 instead?
Would Xenoblade still be as huge and ambitious?

Fuck, how hard is it to see this?

Although I have an interesting question: Why did this game come out only the Wii? It doesn't use any sort of motion control or other Wii features. Was Wii just the best platform for this game's budget and vision? It's really surprising that these guys didn't go all out for 360 or PS3. I mean maybe the Wii was just the right scale for their vision, and the cost of a HD version of this game as a new IP just wasn't worth the risk, but still surprising to me.

Because Nintendo didnt go third party yet

-GOUKI-

I found the links to the photos from an emulation-related forum.
What did they do, use Dolphin to make the screens?

Aside from the low res grass texture in the foreground and the obviously low-poly character model, you can still see the misaligned bloom and such from this Dolphin shot:

The bloom is part oft he art design.
marsh.png

xenoblade-satorl-marsh-poster.jpg

You don't need dolphin to take bullshots. The art is high res assets that are then edited by an artist (the reflection of shulk in the water for example). Looks very very nice. Wish the game looked like that on dolphin.

Yeah, some people blame the Wii for any flaw a game might have, but tend to forget that the limitations might also be directly responsible for the gratest ideas of that same title.

Would Super Mario Galaxy exist if the Wii was HDSystemNr.3 instead?
Would Xenoblade still be as huge and ambitious?

Fuck, how hard is it to see this?

Hard to see what? its purely conjecture since noone knows how it would have turned out. Doesn't mean people shouldn't imagine what it could of been whether it is likely to have happened or not.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I'd actually argue that Xenoblade wouldn't be half the game that it is if it were made on a competing system. Sure, the textures would be nicer, and character's faces would look better, but would we get such sprawling environments with so much amazing content to absorb around every turn? The massive game world in Xenoblade is so filled with wondrous content that I have never once found myself wishing for "better" graphics. This game is pushing the Wii in the way that I have wanted to see more devs push the system, and I applaud Monolith Soft for their efforts.

I get that some people who make the jump straight from Skyrim to Xenoblade might be turned off by the jaggies and the... well, I guess I can't really understand it actually. Xenoblade looks awesome, as have many games in past generations. Obviously the power of the Wii is what it is. There's absolutely no reason to be complaining about it at this point when Nintendo has a shiny new HD system looming in the distance.

I'm not slamming on the writer because obviously he wants something different out of his game than I do, but this game is two years old now, and was designed to do as much as possible in spite of the Wii's constraints.

RedSwirl

The only way in which I'll admit the 480p resolution really hurts the experience of Xenoblade is how the HUD elements take up so much of the screen. The kind of RPG Xenoblade tries to emulate was originally made for higher resolutions.

mclem

Increased development cost.

I think, to be fair, they're talking about if all the assets are identical, and the only actual difference is the size of the frame buffer. That'd have a negligible increase to dev cost (assuming the frame buffer increase comes with an appropriate increase in pixel fill rate); fundamentally what Dolphin does.

Frankly, though, I don't see the point of this. It's not good criticism. It's like criticising Link's Awakening for being in black and white.

I thought the game looked absolutely fantastic. How is it that just one aspect of the game ( Graphics) is so much more important that everything else. The game is fantastic in every department.

Levyne

Banned
I'd actually argue that Xenoblade wouldn't be half the game that it is if it were made on a competing system. Sure, the textures would be nicer, and character's faces would look better, but would we get such sprawling environments with so much amazing content to absorb around every turn? The massive game world in Xenoblade is so filled with wondrous content that I have never once found myself wishing for "better" graphics. This game is pushing the Wii in the way that I have wanted to see more devs push the system, and I applaud Monolith Soft for their efforts.

I get that some people who make the jump straight from Skyrim to Xenoblade might be turned off by the jaggies and the... well, I guess I can't really understand it actually. Xenoblade looks awesome, as have many games in past generations. Obviously the power of the Wii is what it is. There's absolutely no reason to be complaining about it at this point when Nintendo has a shiny new HD system looming in the distance.

I'm not slamming on the writer because obviously he wants something different out of his game than I do, but this game is two years old now, and was designed to do as much as possible in spite of the Wii's constraints.

I mostly agree with this. Sure you can play the game and wish and whine all you want for it to have looked better, but it doesn't (outside of dolphin), and it never was going to (being a nintendo ip). If you wanted something of higher technical fidelity, there are other options on ps360 or your computer.

anaron

With that kind of scale? I'm not so sure. It's funny, though, as I played through Xenoblade, I kept thinking, "man, remember when console games had stable framerates and didn't give me motion sickness?" and that impressed me way more than a lot of HD console games!
+1

Shion

Christ, is it 2006 again?

What a ridiculously stupid thing to say right before the next gen.

So, is it such a crime to say that, what is probably the best JRPG in years, would be an even more awesome experience if didn't have PS2-level graphics...in an age where even PS360 graphics have started to show their age?

MYE

Hard to see what? its purely conjecture since noone knows how it would have turned out. Doesn't mean people shouldn't imagine what it could of been whether it is likely to have happened or not.

This "article" does not mirror the harmless and purely speculative tone you speak of.

I mean, i also keep imagining how a fusion between Portman and ScarJo would look like, but i dont go on poorly written rants about how they both look like shit compared to figments of my imagination.

Kusagari

"This generations Final Fantasy VII?"

Hilarious that of all games he compared it to that lego looking piece of shit that looked absolutely terrible by the end of its own generation.

This "article" does not mirror the harmless and purely speculative tone you speak of.

I keep imagining how a fusion between Portman and ScarJo would look like, but i dont go on poorly written rants about how they both look like shit compared to the works of my imagination.

The opening sentence of the article in the OP is "Xenoblade Chronicles is an amazing game. The characters are engaging, the storyline is epic, and the fresh combat blends MMO style cooldowns with the feel of an old-school, turn-based RPG."

The people in this thread have already been saying they agree with the points but not the way the article was presented and we are getting fought tooth and nail, I'm not sure what more you want from us, I mean yes the article comes off harsher then needed but the ideas behind it aren't really wrong.

CSX

So are there guards patrolling GI offices to make sure no one has Dolphin installed on their office computers ?

Concept17

I pretty much agree with him. I hate that the Wii is so under-powered, and that the Wii-U looks to be the same. I would find more interest in both Nintendo's hardware and their software (both 1st and 3rd party efforts) if their console had more horse-power.

I'm all for great art style and direction, but these things are always easier to achieve when the developer has fewer hardware limitations. Give your devs more freedom.

(also, Vikings fuck ya)

Fantastical

Death Prophet
So, is it such a crime to say that, what is probably the best JRPG in years, would be an even more awesome experience if didn't have PS2-level graphics...in an age where even PS360 graphics have started to show their age?

Is it a crime? No. Is it pointless? Yes.

Poyunch

We should be focusing on the writer's anger issues. Watch out people, this guys vents his frustrations on others. Someone should call the cops and warn them.

MYE

The people in this thread have already been saying they agree with the points but not the way the article was presented and we are getting fought tooth and nail, I'm not sure what more you want from us, I mean yes the article comes off harsher then needed but the ideas behind it aren't really wrong.

Wait, who is "us"? :p

I didnt realize i was arguing against a group of people. I'm just questioning the validity of the argument that the best things about every Wii game would still remain intact if the system was as powerful as its HD competitors AND, of course, without all those graphical limitations.

Its nice to want perfect things, but were is the HDJRPG that rivals Xenoblade's scope?

Yeah

The Hermit

no, just stupid.

Diablos54

Chris Kluwe ‏ @ChrisWarcraft

Excellent.
Now it gets interesting!

On to the article, he makes some valid points, but he came off sound quite childish IMO. That and considering the age of both the hardware and the game, it's a pointless point to make.

Levyne

Banned

where is the HDJRPG that rivals Xenoblade's scope?

The closest would probably be the Souls games from what I can tell (haven't played). From what I've played, The Last Remnant on PC is also pretty "big" but the areas are usually focused and segmented (though some of them are quite vast).

None are quite on the same tier imo.

I didnt realize i was arguing against a group of people. I'm just questioning the validity of the argument that the best things about every Wii game would still remain intact if the system was as powerful as its HD competitors AND, of course, without all those graphical limitations.

Its nice to want perfect things, but were is the HDJRPG that rivals Xenoblade's scope?

Yeah

Meant it as the people saying that they agree with the points but not the way the articles tone was handled. Just because there hasn't been a HD Jrpg with that level of scope doesn't mean its impossible and if its not impossible why is it considered a bad thing to want it.

As consumers of a product everyone should want every game to be better then it is and be thinking of any possible way it could be.

Top Bottom