• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones' incredible "Loot Train Attack" scene (SPOILERS for last week's ep)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicanica

From a production stand point, it was fucking incredible.

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to prep and set up a safe pyrotechnics shot to set just ONE person on fire for 5 seconds of film?

When that whole group got hit by the dragon fire, it pulled me out of the scene with me thinking, how the fuck did they do that?

FiggyCal

Banned
I think that was an understandable failure of intelligence for Dany's forces. Tyrion's plan made sense *based on what he knew*:

Tywin told Cersei the gold mines are dry back in S4, and Jaime knows as well as a result. Tyrion on the other hand has no idea the mines are empty, so he wouldn't know that the value of the castle was greatly diminished. Jaime took Highgarden specifically because he needed their resources - food for the city, riches to pay off the Iron Bank. If the gold mines were still producing, they wouldn't have left it with such a light force to defend it.
(Spoiler tags probably not needed in this thread...)

So IMO Tyrion's plan made sense, but it was a gamble that sorta failed (remains to be seen if it hurts them in the long run, after all they hold a powerful position on the mainland now and could strike to other places, specifically Riverrun...) because of info he wouldn't have had yet. Kinda shows that Varys is not doing a good job gathering intel anymore and is mostly just a normal advisor.
Tyrion was the master of coin under Joffrey. You'd think he'd know something about his family's finances.

LakeEarth

Tyrion was the master of coin under Joffrey. You'd think he'd know something about his family's finances.

I asked a similar question in the main thread. Apparently there is no scene where Tyrion finds out that the gold mines have run dry. Maybe he should've known, but we're never implicitly shown that he does.

FiggyCal

Banned
I asked a similar question in the main thread. Apparently there is no scene where Tyrion finds out that the gold mines have run dry. Maybe he should've known, but we're never implicitly shown that he does.

Well. I'm okay with Tyrion being bad at his current positiom - that he simply made a huge mistake.

That gave him access to the Crown's finances, not House Lannister's - that's why he notes the debt to House Lannister (and the Iron Bank and others) in the scene with Bronn where he's looking over the books.

There's no real reason to think Tywin let him in on the truth of House Lannister's finances since he despised him and generally avoided giving him any sort of position of real importance until naming him acting-Hand of the King.

typist

Wow, this is incredibly interesting. :eek:
Same for me xP
I actually think the first reply in that thread is more interesting than the OP, pasting it here but beware potential book spoilers/info:
I LOVE this theory. And there is an interesting tidbit in the Azor Ahai theory that could fit another theory so well: the second time Azor Ahai forged his sword, he plunged it through the heart of a lion. With the valonquar theory around, it is not impossible to believe that it might refer to Cersei!

Also, if we consider that Lightbringer might not actually be a sword, it could be a person as well. To properly "forge" a hero he needs to go through serious challenges, like the sword did in the original story. I believe this could actually fit Jamie pretty well.

"He labored for thirty days and thirty nights until it was done. However, when he went to temper it in water, the sword broke."

I think this might refer to his captivity in Riverrun (aka water) and then the loss of his hand. We see him "broke", only Brienne keeps him alive and going and eventually he gets through this, but a changed man. We saw that he burned Cersei's letter, which might suggest that he is capable of doing the second part:

"The second time he took fifty days and fifty nights to make the sword, even better than the first. To temper it this time, he captured a lion and drove the sword into its heart, but once more the steel shattered."

I think he will kill Cersei (fulfilling the valonquar prophecy), but again will "break". And it's not difficult to understand why: he loved her (still might love her a bit).
And for the last part

"The third time, with a heavy heart, for he knew before hand what he must do to finish the blade, he worked for a hundred days and nights until it was finished. This time, he called for his wife, Nissa Nissa, and asked her to bare her breast. He drove his sword into her breast, her soul combining with the steel of the sword, creating Lightbringer."

I think you know what this might be - Brienne. It might not be a literal murder but something different - for example (if you subscribe to the Nights Watch = Azor Ahai theory) he could take the black, forever losing his chance of getting Brienne.

But you know, this is ASOIAF and this is just a bunch of tinfoil I came up with now :D
TL:DR - Jamie = Lightbringer Will kill Cersei, leave/kill Brienne and join the Nights Watch to save the world. Heck, I have no idea about the burning part, he should ask Thoros for his sword or something.

Zaru

So I stopped watching after season 4 because I wasn't too happy about them going off the rails storywise, but with GRRM probably croaking long before he finishes the books, I'm thinking of continuing the show for closure.

Are the "good" parts worth the dumb plot devices and convenient spacetime warping of some characters?

So I stopped watching after season 4 because I wasn't too happy about them going off the rails storywise, but with GRRM probably croaking long before he finishes the books, I'm thinking of continuing the show for closure.

Are the "good" parts worth the dumb plot devices and convenient spacetime warping of some characters?
No. Stay away.

Same for me xP
I actually think the first reply in that thread is more interesting than the OP, pasting it here but beware potential book spoilers/info:
yeah, read that part as well. I'm very intrigued. Texted my buddy the link after I read it lol

FiggyCal

Banned

I think there was a drop in quality after season 4, but it's still great. Season 6 had some fantastic episodes. Season 7 is probably the weakest season so far

Eidan

You won't be able to look past the plot contrivances. I think you should avoid the show and keep holding out for the books in 20XX.

JWiLL

Banned
The quiet moment right before Jamie charges at Dany, where we see him looking over the battlefield and a group of 5-6 soldiers burnt in position completely blow away in ashes was absolutely incredible.

It only lasts for about 2 seconds but I got major goosebumps. Just phenomenal direction in the entire battle leading up to that moment and it really capped it off.

Artdayne

That all depends on you, really. Season 6 was probably the second best season of the show, IMO. Season 5 was probably the worst but it also has one of the best episodes and still has its moments otherwise. Season 7 so far has been quite good even with some dreaded spacetime warping.

You won't be able to look past the plot contrivances. I think you should avoid the show and keep holding out for the books in 20XX.

You don't need to be the Three Eyed Raven to know the books will never be finished, the show will be the definitive canon for the series. George is too old and too unmotivated.

pablito

Did people complain about warping in season 1? Because it's been present since like episode 3.

Only warping and logic leaps I find truly bothersome is Euron so far.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

I quit watching too after s4 and caught up before s7 began. If you really want to see how the story continues, I'd say go for it. We won't be seeing a new book in a while anyway, and the show will probably wrap up before we see TWoW. S5 is the weakest season so far, but overall I'm glad I decided to start watching again. Even though the seasons aren't that consistent in quality anymore, we do get some of the best action setpieces now, with s 5-7 having some very ambitious battle episodes. I'd say it's worth it for that alone.

ghstwrld

the dothraki are still nothing but a brown mindless horde, seems like; no dialogs, no pov, no named characters, absolutely nada in that clip

hmmm

RDreamer

I think they're still kinda worth it, but for different reasons. The things you hate are amplified, especially in Season 5, but the spectacle of things is also amplified. You can't watch the last few seasons for the same reasons you may have watched the first few. It's doesn't exist for good writing and political intrigue, etc. It exists to see some fucking dragons burning shit. That sort of stuff.

And I'm not a book reader. The writing after Season 4 dropped dramatically. Season 6 picked up a bit, but Season 7 just said fuck it and went with spectacle instead.

Volimar

the dothraki are still nothing but a brown mindless horde, seems like; no dialogs, no pov, no named characters, absolutely nada in that clip

hmmm

They go a lot more into their culture and in the early seasons there are a lot of named characters. Right now they focus more on the principle actors.

pablito

hmmm

Yeah I'd like a named Dothraki. However if we're just gonna call him a discount Khal Drogo like the last guy then ehhhh.

Timbuktu

hmmm

That was something that Rome did well with Vorenus and Pullo and the 13th. GoT is complicated enough as is, but with all of Varys' and the High Sparrow's talk about the 'people', you never really get a sense that the soldiers or the mobs of KL really exist except when plot requires.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Yes you should watch, season 5 is indeed the weakest, however it has the best episode in the entire show in it. Season 6 did a good job getting back in track and 7 has been good, if not a bit fantastical, so far. But yes you should watch it just for some amazing episodes. Seriously, as a whole it might not be as good as its was, but some of its indivual episodes are better than they have ever been.

jviggy43

You will not be happier with this season. They've upped all of that. Stay away

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I just finished the last book a month or so ago. What is this stuff with a dragon in a big battle?

The TV series is actually going to be seen through to completion. That's really quite amazing.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The TV series is actually going to be seen through to completion. That's really quite amazing.

I remember when people wanted both books to come out before the show got to Winds of Winter but it's gonna end up finishing before the first is even out.

Master of Coin for Joffrey/Kings Landing probably didn't leave him privy to his own families finances. There was no reason why Kings Landing's Master of Coin would know the finances of Casterly Rock.

Einchy

Master of Coin for Joffrey/Kings Landing probably didn't leave him privy to his own families finances. There was no reason why Kings Landing's Master of Coin would know the finances of Casterly Rock.

Yup, all he knew was that the crown was in major depth with the Iron Bank and that Littlefinger was actually pretty shit at being the Master of Coin. Only Cersei was told about the Lannister's gold issues.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Wow, this show looks expensive. Fire breathing dragons and shit.

This episode is already considered the most expensive TV episode ever made.

A claim that's not going to last long considering GoT viewership is still going up and the last season is likely going to have feature length episodes with tons of action.

zer0das

Banned

hmmm

Well, to be fair
all of the named Dothraki got murdered by Dany. They follow the strongest, so not much need for a chain of command once you have eliminated all of your competition. Other than it makes your leadership structure very inflexible... but that seems plausible.

jviggy43

As awesome as this battle was... Dany. Hun. WHY did you burn up all the food?!
Scene before

"Jon snow what do you think?"
"I think if you use those dragons to burn your enemy to the ground, you're no different than any king that came before you"

Next scene:

Proceeds to burn her enemy down while also needlessly destroying the food (and hurting her dragon and soldiers).

pariah164

Scene before

"I think if you use those dragons to burn your enemy to the ground, you're no different than any king that came before you"

Next scene:

Proceeds to burn her enemy down while also needlessly destroying the food (and hurting her dragon and soldiers).
So basically...

lfL0UvH.gif

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Scene before

Next scene:

Jon was talking about using the dragons to burn the city, which would incur lots of collateral damage.

Dany took her dragons into a non-civilian, military engagement.

Einchy

Jon was talking about using the dragons to burn the city, which would incur lots of collateral damage.

Yup.

Dany: Fuck your clever plans, I'm going straight to King's Landing and I'm burning all those fuckers down.

Jon: Uh, that's, like, not a good idea.

Dany: Fine, I'll just fight their army instead of going to King's Landing.

Volimar

As awesome as this battle was... Dany. Hun. WHY did you burn up all the food?!

They were close enough to Kings Landing that the gold got in safely. If she didn't destroy their supplies there was a decent enough chance that they would get those in too. She probably didn't even know that it was all food but at least by destroying it now Cersei will have to buy food or face hunger riots. Meanwhile, just as Jaime said, Dany could retake Highgarden and maybe get another growing season in before winter comes that far south.

jviggy43

Yes I'm aware. However given the preview for next week the point still stands considering now she's trying to appeal to the survivors after they just got done watching her burn all of their friends alive.

Additionally, why burn the food?

pariah164

They were close enough to Kings Landing that the gold got in safely. If she didn't destroy their supplies there was a decent enough chance that they would get those in too. She probably didn't even know that it was all food but at least by destroying it now Cersei will have to buy food or face hunger riots. Meanwhile, just as Jaime said, Dany could retake Highgarden and maybe get another growing season in before winter comes that far south.
That's fair. If she gets her shit together, that may work. Judging by the ep. 5 preview... she won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom