• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones' incredible "Loot Train Attack" scene (SPOILERS for last week's ep)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDdelphin

bayard-wu-game-of-thrones.jpg

Lol nice!

I call it: "You idiot. You f**king idiot."

JimiNutz

Banned
Not after what he did to a nephew of his when they were captured, just so he can escape.

That scene ruined the character forever.

As a character Jaime has changed a lot since he lost his hand and then spent time with Brienne. The difference is pretty dramatic and I think two handed Jaime almost feels like a different character to one handed Jaime.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
A few things:
Highgarden is a very large castle to defend and a large chunk of Tyrell Bannerman had just switched sides, their most capable men(who knew its defenses well) among them. They wouldn't have stood a chance.

Hmm, I don't think so. Watch the intro to the last episode again. Only Tarly banners are amongst the Lannister army. If they are specifically showing the Tarlys marching with the Lannisters, why wouldn't there be the other noble houses that broke faith amongst the forces, if there are in fact more than the Tarlys that beytrayed House Tyrell?

These battle scenes have been something else. The direction, cinematography, editing... all of it is world class.

There's a James Cameron-esque quality to it, and thats about the highest praise out there.

Speely

Banned
This was one of the most breathtaking battles I have ever seen.

It began as a well-shot scene.

It progressed into a long shot that really grounded everthing. (Bronn omg)

It ended in the most epic shot I have ever seen which also happened to involve a major character CHARGING A FUCKING DRAGON to kill an even more major character.

Like, wtf? This is a milestone for TV. I can't stop re-watching.

The hero Westeros deserves, charging a monster to save the kingdom. This needs a 'He can't do it alone! Join the Lannister Army today!' label.

That's what I thought aswell. It's this type of tale, where the enemy is bigger and the hero smaller than in reality, but thus making the action a lot greater.

orava

How in the world could someone have already painted that? It hasn't even been a week.

Amazing painting tho.

Digital speed painting. It's not that detailed and focuses on composition and lighting. Experienced artist paint something like this in couple hours.

DBT85

Wouldn't that already have happened? What more would she have to do? She already did the thing that Jamie killed the Mad King for. I guess her infidelity with Lancel is still unknown to Jamie but would that be enough?

He wasn't there to stop her. I'm convinced he'll he the one to kill her as she tries to do something else evil.

woolley

Bronn is one of my favorite characters but he should have run from the battle or died. The amount of narrow escapes was almost comical.

typist

Thanks for introducing me to nerdwriter OP, his videos are pretty good.

Also that scene was epic. Reminds of some tinfoil-ish theory that Jaime is actually Azor Ahai (the quote/un-quote "main hero" of the series) and everyone in the story has just been making translation errors on that Valyrian prophecy -- can read about it here but beware there may be book spoilers: https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/27e5t8/spoilers_all_lord_of_light_is_a_valyrian/

There was definitely smoke and salt when Jaime falls into the water, dunno about the burning star in the sky part but maybe that comet is still flying around somewhere

Anarion07

This battle finally shows what Daenerys stands for and what she's willing to do to get the throne. Other wars before this were done by mostly cynic noble people in the quest for power and with conventional armies, and by people who know the territory and who know their limits in how much destruction they can get away with.
Daenerys, however, is just insane. Not only is she woefully ignorant of the places and people she seeks to transform, she beliefs by virtue of being the "rightful ruler" she will bring peace and prosperity, even though her ancestors did the opposite and were nothing but imperialistic butchers. And she has weapons of mass destruction.
This scene shows the shock of the expectations of an army and a society being shattered by the new status quo, and at the same time draws parallelisms to the Mad King through the perspective of Jaime Lannister.
It's brilliant, and I expect Daenerys to become more and more of a villain as she confronts Cersei. (Who is another villain, mind you)
So this is basically an illegitimate revolutionary attacking an illegitimate status quo, only WMD are involved.

Aemon? Sure.
Aegon? No.

I'm surprised that people are so much in love with this battle sequence. Was barely impressed by it. Only exciting thing was the final 25 seconds that ended on a cliffhanger.

Window

Yeah they did an incredible job at portraying the devastation a dragon can lay and how it completely changes the game and all the warfare tactics we've see armies employ so far go up in literal smoke. I do think we as viewers are suppose to be in shock and awe at what's unfolding on screen and it is suppose to give us pause and make us consider the implications of what Dany has done (doesn't mean it's supposed to show her as evil or mad however).

Also I don't think that the river was all that deep. If you look at the side on shot of Jamie in the water I think you can see the river bed. It's only the overhead shot of Jamie where it looks as if he's falling into an endless abyss (which I think was a deliberate and good stylistic choice).

Eidan

DerZuhälter;245901754 said:
I'm surprised that people are so much in love with this battle sequence. Was barely impressed by it. Only exciting thing was the final 25 seconds that ended on a cliffhanger.
Few are as cool as you mang.

Watched the episode again last night, fantastic scene.

Everyone had their eyes on that final episode at 81mins long, and then this turns up unexpectedly in the shortest episode of the series.

God knows what they've planned for the season showdown. Hardhome meets Bastards meets Loot Train.

Yeah i watched the behind the scenes last night, it always amazes me how TV/movies are able to put together something of this scale with the end result being as amazing as it was. I also didn't notice they set 20 people on fire :|, crazy.

Although Dany riding a dragon still looks fake AF and takes me out of the experience
whenever they do a close up of it.

I mean lets be honest

Do you know what riding a dragon up close would even look like?

Thanks for introducing me to nerdwriter OP, his videos are pretty good.

Also that scene was epic. Reminds of some tinfoil-ish theory that Jaime is actually Azor Ahai (the quote/un-quote "main hero" of the series) and everyone in the story has just been making translation errors on that Valyrian prophecy -- can read about it here but beware there may be book spoilers: https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/27e5t8/spoilers_all_lord_of_light_is_a_valyrian/

There was definitely smoke and salt when Jaime falls into the water, dunno about the burning star in the sky part but maybe that comet is still flying around somewhere
Wow, this is incredibly interesting. :eek:

so who are those guys, what happened to the Unsullied?

I am way behind on GoT :(

Unsullied went on a
wild goose chase to take over Casterly Rock, historically the seat of Lannister power which Tyrion thought would unsettle Cersei. It was a trap though, Cersei doesn't give a shit about it and they had a skeleton crew defending the castle

The guys on Dany's side in the Loot Train battle are the Dothraki. If you need educating on them I really don't know what to tell you.

Fbh

Yep it was amazing. I think I've never seen anything else look nearly as high budget as this in a TV show.

The only thing that would have made it better would be if there was a real train in the set piece and they were also fighting on top of it as it was moving.

Come to think of it, are there any trains in Westeros at all? Does the technology exist?

Isn't it silly to name a set piece after something that doesn't even exist in that universe even as a figure of speech?!

DEEP THOUGHTS.

They are keeping that for the sequel show. Game of Steam

Steejee

Unsullied went on a
wild goose chase to take over Casterly Rock, historically the seat of Lannister power which Tyrion thought would unsettle Cersei. It was a trap though, Cersei doesn't give a shit about it and they had a skeleton crew defending the castle

The guys on Dany's side in the Loot Train battle are the Dothraki. If you need educating on them I really don't know what to tell you.

I think that was an understandable failure of intelligence for Dany's forces. Tyrion's plan made sense *based on what he knew*:

Tywin told Cersei the gold mines are dry back in S4, and Jaime knows as well as a result. Tyrion on the other hand has no idea the mines are empty, so he wouldn't know that the value of the castle was greatly diminished. Jaime took Highgarden specifically because he needed their resources - food for the city, riches to pay off the Iron Bank. If the gold mines were still producing, they wouldn't have left it with such a light force to defend it.
(Spoiler tags probably not needed in this thread...)

So IMO Tyrion's plan made sense, but it was a gamble that sorta failed (remains to be seen if it hurts them in the long run, after all they hold a powerful position on the mainland now and could strike to other places, specifically Riverrun...) because of info he wouldn't have had yet. Kinda shows that Varys is not doing a good job gathering intel anymore and is mostly just a normal advisor.

DerZuhälter;245901754 said:

Umm, this was the greatest showing of a dragon EVER PUT ON FILM!

It was directed very well and has some amazing visuals.

And this is from a tv show. Not some 250mil blockbuster movie. This was unheard of in TV land until Game of Thrones came along.

I hope you realize the significance of the achievement.

Also I don't think that the river was all that deep. If you look at the side on shot of Jamie in the water I think you can see the river bed. It's only the overhead shot of Jamie where it looks as if he's falling into an endless abyss (which I think was a deliberate and good stylistic choice).

I can tell you that there are rivers like that where it just drops. Happens due to heavy rainfall or earthquakes.

I walked past a river in Bangladesh that was literally a 20 foot drop steps from the shore.

I think that was an understandable failure of intelligence for Dany's forces. Tyrion's plan made sense *based on what he knew*:

Tywin told Cersei the gold mines are dry back in S4, and Jaime knows as well as a result. Tyrion on the other hand has no idea the mines are empty, so he wouldn't know that the value of the castle was greatly diminished. Jaime took Highgarden specifically because he needed their resources - food for the city, riches to pay off the Iron Bank. If the gold mines were still producing, they wouldn't have left it with such a light force to defend it.
(Spoiler tags probably not needed in this thread...)

So IMO Tyrion's plan made sense, but it was a gamble that sorta failed (remains to be seen if it hurts them in the long run, after all they hold a powerful position on the mainland now and could strike to other places, specifically Riverrun...) because of info he wouldn't have had yet. Kinda shows that Varys is not doing a good job gathering intel anymore and is mostly just a normal advisor.

100% correct on all fronts.

Solo

It looked like what you'd expect that to look like

It's Clarke's facial expressions that ruin it more than the compositing. I've really come to hate her acting. She always looks like she's acting - there's no sincerity or subtlety in her work. I saw her in some other god awful rom com with my girlfriend and she was the same there.

Timbuktu

It's Clarke's facial expressions that ruin it more than the compositing. I've really come to hate her acting. She always looks like she's acting - there's no sincerity or subtlety in her work. I saw her in some other god awful rom com with my girlfriend and she was the same there.

She has to work very hard to stop her eyebrows stealing the scene.

Nategc20

Banned
When Davos screamed "FIGHT FOR YOUR KIIIIIIIIWNG!!!!!" during the charge in battle of the bastards, its simply one of the most natural coke highs ever.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I've watched the battle like 4 times now since it aired, what a glorious segment. And I agree, it outdoes most of what we've seen on the big screen.

pestul

I agree. In contrast, Coster-Waldau has the most amazing facial expressions. In that very last moment you can read his thoughts out loud they're so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom