• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

I always wondered why Roose bothered warning Cat about his armor. Was he just that big a piece of shit that he wanted her to know she was about to die?

Sheroking

You know what was surprising? The Red Wedding.

You spent a whole episode with those characters, building to that point. Even the surprise itself had a music cue letting you know something was about to happen.

Are you really upset that they can't match one of the most exquisite and devastating sequences ever put on either film or paper?

Ignoring that we've hit a point where catching people off-guard like that twice is next to impossible; that bar may be too high, for either D&D or George Martin to hurdle again.

-griffy-

Banned
I always wondered why Roose bothered warning Cat about his armor. Was he just that big a piece of shit that he wanted her to know she was about to die?

Pretty much. He's like the kid who's already seen the movie who can't help himself but say "YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS IN THE NEXT SCENE!"

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Are you really upset that they can't match one of the most exquisite and devastating sequences ever put on either film or paper?

Ignoring that we've hit a point where catching people off-guard like that twice is next to impossible; that bar may be too high, for either D&D or George Martin to hurdle again.

I really hate arguments like this.

I'm saying the scene wasn't even up to regular Game of Thrones quality, let alone one of the best episodes of the series. This is the kind of lazy storytelling and action I expect from a low-tier TV series like TWD.

I'm saying it could have been way better, and we shouldn't just settle for good enough. It was barely better than the infamous sand snakes scene.

Nah, we saw Ned's cameo last season.

E3X7ueH.gif

Dead.

-griffy-

Banned
I really hate arguments like this.

I'm saying the scene wasn't even up to regular Game of Thrones quality, let alone one of the best episodes of the series. This is the kind of lazy storytelling and action I expect from a low-tier TV series like TWD.

I'm saying it could have been way better, and we shouldn't just settle for good enough. It was barely better than the infamous sand snakes scene.

Really feel like I watched a different scene than some of you. This was far and away beyond anything The Walking Dead has ever done or attempted. Game of Thrones couldn't have even pulled off a scene like this at that level 3 seasons ago.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Really feel like I watched a different scene than some of you. This was far and away beyond anything The Walking Dead has ever done or attempted. Game of Thrones couldn't have even pulled off a scene like this at that level 3 seasons ago.

Yup, seasons before that scene would've been the big battle of the season or the scale would've been ten times smaller. Others shows wish they had the budget to do something like that.

Einchy

am, i thought that was pretty obvious? if jaqen wanted could have killed her right there, but he didnt

Yeah, Jaqen liked her, which is why he gave her a coin and was disappointed when she didn't go with him at the beginning. I guess he isn't supposed to have connections like that since he's "no one" but he's a liar and he cares about Arya.

WriterGK

Interesting. I thought I could detect a tiny smile on Jaqen's face when Arya announces her name and intent to return to Westeros.

Indeed right. But if its actually true. Then Ned really needs to return to the show before the last or during last episode of season 8 or sooner.

aBarreras

Yeah, Jaqen liked her, which is why he gave her a coin and was disappointed when she didn't go with him at the beginning. He guess he isn't supposed to have connections like that since he's "no one" but he's a liar and he cares about Arya.

i mean Arya killed the Waif and Jaqen was like thats so cool.

Vashetti

Banned
We don't really know that for sure.

It's just the Faceless Men using a face that's familiar to Arya (and the audience).

"Jaqen" drinks poison in the S5 finale to account for Arya taking Meryn Trant's life, and the "Waif" removes her face to reveal another "Jaqen".

But that whole plotline is a mess. They never explained how they have Arya's face either.

Or how the actual magic of it works.

Einchy

It's just the Faceless Men using a face that's familiar to Arya (and the audience).

"Jaqen" drinks poison in the S5 finale to account for Arya taking Meryn Trant's life, and the "Waif" removes her face to reveal another "Jaqen".

But that whole plotline is a mess. They never explained how they have Arya's face either.

Or how the actual magic of it works.

Yeah, like I said, we never know if it's the same guy or different people or even how many people. Maybe our Jaqen wasn't ever there to begin with.

The thing, though, however was the last person using the Jaqen face obviously liked Arya a lot, and it doesn't make much sense for them to approve of her finally just accepting she's a Stark, and "Jaqen" not only being fine with that, but also showing a bit of pride towards her if it wasn't THE Jaqen.

It makes no sense if it's different people and it does if it's the same guy but we will never know which one is true. I like to believe it's the former just 'cus that's the one that doesn't make the whole Faceless Men thing even more confusing.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

Yup, seasons before that scene would've been the big battle of the season or the scale would've been ten times smaller. Others shows wish they had the budget to do something like that.

There was a thousand cuts during that battle you could hardly tell what was happening at any given time.

I really liked the ending to that scene btw, it was nearly perfect, but the fights leading up to it were terrible imo, and the quick cuts were annoying.

It's tough to watch someone like him after having Ramsey.

Ramsey was set up in the same manner. Plot armour against Yara and the Iron Island's strongest warriors (fighting against them clad in armour whilst topless for christ sake) and the 20 good men bollocks.

They've both been lame replacements for the best villains of the show, Joffery and Tywin.

Ramsey was set up in the same manner. Plot armour against Yara and the Iron Island's strongest warriors (fighting against them clad in armour whilst topless for christ sake) and the 20 good men bollocks.

They've both been lame replacements for the best villains of the show, Joffery and Tywin.

I really miss Tywin. Him and Olenna together made for great scenes too.

There was a thousand cuts during that battle you could hardly tell what was happening at any given time.

I really liked the ending to that scene btw, it was nearly perfect, but the fights leading up to it were terrible imo, and the quick cuts were annoying.

You're supposed to be viewing the scene from the perspective of Yara, Theon, and the Sand Snakes. It's intentionally chaotic and disorienting, you know, as ambushes tend to be.

Every scene with him was phenomenal and infinitely rewatchable. Charles Dance really delivered a fantastic Tywin. Rewatched the season 4 finale earlier and his collapse that episode was really something, especially Cersei's confession scene.

Timbuktu

I'm saying even surprise moments can have build up, and are all the better for it. The ship battle had no build up whatsoever, and on top of it all was shot like somebody who had half as much of Sapochnik's talent trying to mimic his style.

This whole season, but that episode in particular, felt rushed to me. One of the best aspects of the show in my opinion is the slow build up to "Oh shit" moments.

We are two episodes in still. Obviously they have judged that this naval battle and the characters deserve only part of an episode. GoT episodes only really shines when they can devote a whole one to one location. I only really know about ship battles from Master and Commander and just from that movie it was pretty clear the battle can be pretty much won if you get the jump on someone. i'm kind of fine with how it happened because Yara and the Dorne girls haven't never really been shown to be good at this.

I feel like they will just forget about Dorne though, even though their army and the country is pretty much unscathed apart from the ruling household Bing killed off. Someone is bound to take over and can still be a factor in the war, but we'll probably never hear about them.

I really hope there's more scenes with Randyll Tarly. Great casting.

In fact GOT has possibly the best ensemble casting of older men and women than any show i can think of.

Tywin
Randyll Tarly
Olenna
Maester Aemon
Ned Stark
Maester from Winterfell

At least we can expect Euron to go fairly quickly. I can't see him playing much of a part in the great scheme of things.

But then again this is GoT so who knows.

I really hope there's more scenes with Randyll Tarly. Great casting.

In fact GOT has possibly the best ensemble casting of older men and women than any show i can think of.

Tywin
Randyll Tarly
Olenna
Maester Aemon
Ned Stark
Maester from Winterfell

That dude's voice is the stuff of legends. Dude's like tywin, he commands respect whenever he is in frame.

I think it says something good about his acting that from last season, I'd assumed that the guy playing Randyl Tarly was enormous (he's sitting down that whole scene, iirc), but he's actually small. Just dominates the scenes.

I think it says something good about his acting that from last season, I'd assumed that the guy playing Randyl Tarly was enormous (he's sitting down that whole scene, iirc), but he's actually small. Just dominates the scenes.

Had the same effect on me. The dominance he asserted in the dinner scene was outstanding.

What id give to have had a scene with him and Stannis together.

zeitgeist

At least we can expect Euron to go fairly quickly. I can't see him playing much of a part in the great scheme of things.

But then again this is GoT so who knows.

I feel like Euron is our last disposable villain and will get iced by the first episode of the last season. I'm guessing he actually has a pretty significant place in the show for now.

Are people really not expecting Jon and Danny to get together at some point?

I'll be more shocked if it doesn't happen at some point this season. I foresee a lot of fan service this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom