• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT PART 2| Season 6 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

correojon

She gave her son a Targ name, what do you think? Plus, Ser Barriston states that Rhaegar was an amazing person, loved by the common people and he loved them. Doesn't appear to be a kidnap and rape type of guy. Ned never once says anything disparaging about him, even though we have scenes where Robert acts like he is villainous. Also, Ser Barriston doesn't seem like the type to lie about someone, and he told Dany he was the finest man he's ever known.

It's just a logical conclusion since everything about the official story is a bunch of bullshit.

We know for a fact that Rhaegar didn't kill her, as we've seen and he cared enough about her to send the best knights he had to go protect her, even when he needed it more than her. We've also been told that he was a very good person who was loved by the people, so this guy probably isn't the type to kidnap someone.

It's very likely that Lyanna and Rhaegar loved each other more than they did their partners and decided to run off together.

But Joffrey is also loved by the people so the story might not actually be like that...

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
He lied about being a good fighter and tactician, who knows what else he lied about. Did you see how he died like a little bitch running into the chokepoint like a noob? Bet he didn't even get those Kingsguard achievements on his own, probably hacked or loaned his account to someone.

This post is fucked up. This post is the Joffrey of posts.
But Joffrey is also loved by the people so the story might not actually be like that...

People hated Joffrey, remember when they threw shit at him? Seems like only people across the Narrow Sea think he was any good.

Mimosa97

Rhaegar is the mad king's son, right ? So he's the oldest brother of Daenerys ? Or am I missing something here ?

So basically Liana eloped with Rhaegar so John is half Targaryen half Stark goddamn. I was sure he was gonna end up marrying Daenerys but if he's her half-brother ugh ...

Rhaegar is the mad king's son, right ? So he's the oldest brother of Daenerys ? Or am I missing something here ?

So basically Liana eloped with Rhaegar so John is half Targaryen half Stark goddamn. I was sure he was gonna end up marrying Daenerys but if he's her half-brother ugh ...

Yes, he is Dany's oldest brother. I think he married a Martell and their infant son was killed by Jaime.

When he was married he had an affair with Lyanna, who was betrothed to Robert Baratheon.

Jon's presumably their issue.

SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG THO

Einchy

Yes, Rhaegar was the eldest son and Targies fucking loooooove incest, so Dany wouldn't mind getting it on with Jon.
Yes, he is Dany's oldest brother. I think he married a Martell and their infant son was killed by Jaime.

When he was married he had an affair with Lyanna, who was betrothed to Robert Baratheon.

SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG THO

Yes, he was married to Elia Martell, the person Oberyn was trying to avenge. It wasn't Jaime, though, it was The Mountain who raped her, murdered her and killed her children.

Mimosa97

Yes, Rhaegar was the eldest son and Targies fucking loooooove incest, so Dany wouldn't mind getting it on with Jon.

But Daenerys was a baby when her father died so basically her parents waited at least 20 years (prob way more) to have her after they had their first son ? So weird ... And Rhaegar was probably way older than 20 when he died so yeah the age difference between Daenerys and Rhaegar is prob bigger.

Einchy

But Daenerys was a baby when her father died so basically her parents waited at least 20 years (prob way more) to have her after they had their first son ? So weird ... And Rhaegar was probably way older than 20 when he died so yeah the age difference between Daenerys and Rhaegar is prob bigger.

They called him The Mad King cus he was MAD HORNY! YEAAAAAAAAAAAAH BOIIIIIIIIIIII

4VJUxGl.gif

Venture

I'm trying to recall but some of the older seasons are murky now... did Jojen or Meera ever mention specifically why they journeyed out to find and protect Bran? Does their father know what they're doing? Did he send them? Are they ever planning on going back? If Howland Reed and Ned Stark were such close friends, their houses must be close too. Jon and Sansa would have heard the same stories Bran had. When they were seeking forces to fight Ramsay, why didn't they ask House Reed?
They never touch on it in the show, but from the DVD lore I get the impression House Reed isn't anything like the others. They're druidy type nature lovers living in swamps with no army of their own.

Yes, he was married to Elia Martell, the person Oberyn was trying to avenge. It wasn't Jaime, though, it was The Mountain who raped her, murdered her and killed her children.

thank you einchy <3 you are a gift <3

(so glad it wasn't jaime)

she wasn't a baby. she was like... a toddler or something.

i know a dude in real whose brother is 18 years older than him. it happens.

duckroll

They never touch on it in the show, but from the DVD lore I get the impression House Reed isn't anything like the others. They're druidy type nature lovers living in swamps with no army of their own.

If Jon was happy to accept 62 fighting bears, I'm sure he would be okay with 20 healers or wizards.

Mimosa97

All I could think about during episode 10 was " Where's ma girl Arya at ? " And then boom chakalaka there she is doing what she does best : killing pedos.

I feel like we need a spin-off centered around Arya. Something called " PEDO KILLER : The untold Story of Arya Stark "

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Recommendations for videos that connect all the dots together so far? I've seen some fan theories but idnrather see someone go back and say "See this scene? Now look at this scene 4 seasons ahead and see what it actually means" kinda stuff.

I would also appreciate if there was an app or something that would show the place if every character in real time during each episode or something.

was about to ask the same.
Really interested in such a video. Someone aware of such a thing?

Finally watched it, was great. Quick question.

How does Arya shapeshift? I know that she's been "training" for it a lot, but she never actually worn a mask of someone else before, right? She never actually got taught how to do it if I'm remembering correctly. And how does she do it? Just "magic", or did they ever go into it?

Einchy

How does Arya shapeshift? I know that she's been "training" for it a lot, but she never actually worn a mask of someone else before, right? She never actually got taught how to do it if I'm remembering correctly. And how does she do it? Just "magic", or did they ever go into it?

Well, once she killed the Waif and gave her face to the Many-Faced God, she became "No One". Everyone thought that because she quit, she hadn't actually gained the ability to change her face but it seems like that's not the case.

Moff

arya killed meryn trant in the season 5 finale with another face, or at least she had another face shortly before she killed him

Lucc

So was Ned´s sister kidnapped and raped? I´m surprised by people in this thread implying she went Targaryen willingly, is there any evidence to support this?

Lyanna was kind of a tomboy and most likely a capable fighter. Ned refereed to her as wolf blooded. It is unlikely that a woman like that would be kidnapped, raped and kept away from her family for over 9 months.

Obviously it is only speculation but it is hinted that she followed Rhaegar willingly.

Metroxed

Thinking about it... isn't the Stark name also doomed to extinction? Technically Bran is the head of the house now, but I don't know if it's whether or not he can still father children. But if he can't, then the Starks are done; Jon will carry the Targaryen name presumably and Sansa and Arya can't pass the name to their children, so... everything is on Bran's shoulders.

Besides, if Jon now is King in the North, and Winterfell is the capital of the north... is he also Lord of Winterfell?

FeD.nL

It's kinda crazy when you go back to the first season and the whole plotline with Ned trying to find out what Jon Arryn's last words 'The seed is strong' meant. And that the answer being right there for Ned in the form of his (adopted) son Jon.

That's probably the one thing that's going through his mind when he reads that book about all the Baratheon children being born with dark hair.

Sheroking

Because this is dependent on someone being a tomboy?

I'll let everyone know.

Well... no, but the strong implication is that they ran off to Dorne together, maybe to leave their political marriages/betrothals behind. It was only perceived as a kidnapping by Robert and Ned's father.

The two biggest pieces of evidence are Barriston Selmy's description of Rhaegar and Littlefinger's telling of the Tournament at Harrenhall.

Selmy described Rhaegar as a man of the people. He hated war and sang to the peasants, and when they gave him money for singing, he would give it to the less talented beggars. Selmy described him as the best man he'd ever known, and Selmy was as honorable a man as Ned Stark. Does that sound like a rapist?

Metal B

Since everybody, who sat on the Iron Throne, became a bad person, wouldn't it make sense, that it gets destroyed at the end of the series. Daenerys already declared, that Meereen should become a republic. Maybe she will finally end the game of thrones and start a new beginning for the world?

There could be a lot of parallels to Georg Washington with Daenerys (she already has the white hair), after she had her Lincoln run.

Indignate

What are YOU doing?

Pointing out fundamental flaws in thinking.

Oh, for fucks sake. It's fiction. These things follow a linear story path. Don't be that guy who tries to correlate real complex issues with a fictional narrative.

Rhaegar and Lyanna pretty obviously ran off together.

We have many examples in fiction alone (and even in this very show) where a person pretending to be nice is actually evil. This isn't anything complex, it's actually quite simple. Your question of "does this sound like a man who" holds no real weight (even more so in fiction than anywhere else), particularly when every action done by this man has been told to us second-handed and particularly so when those actions were ones that were publicly displayed.

For what it's worth, I agree that they ran off together. It's just that everyone's way of articulating why they believe that is borderline awful.

Einchy

Pointing out fundamental flaws in thinking.

We have many examples in fiction alone (and even in this very show) where a person pretending to be nice is actually evil. This isn't anything complex, it's actually quite simple. Your question of "does this sound like a man who" holds no real weight (even more so in fiction than anywhere else), particularly when every action done by this man has been told to us second-handed and particularly so when those actions were ones that were publicly displayed.

For what it's worth, I agree that they ran off together. It's just that everyone's way of articulating why they believe that is borderline awful.
Care to explain to us why you think so in your wonderful ways?

Acidote

Thinking about it... isn't the Stark name also doomed to extinction? Technically Bran is the head of the house now, but I don't know if it's whether or not he can still father children. But if he can't, then the Starks are done; Jon will carry the Targaryen name presumably and Sansa and Arya can't pass the name to their children, so... everything is on Bran's shoulders.

Besides, if Jon now is King in the North, and Winterfell is the capital of the north... is he also Lord of Winterfell?

Jon being KITN could name his children however the fuck he wanted and even legitimize himself as a Stark if he wanted to (Having in mind that he's still a bastard. A Targaryen bastard.) . And I guess Sansa could name her offspring Stark too since Lyanna Mormont is the daughter of Maege Mormont and has her name and inherited the title too.

Lucc

Oh, for fucks sake. It's fiction. These things follow a linear story path. Don't be that guy who tries to correlate real complex issues with a fictional narrative.

Rhaegar and Lyanna pretty obviously ran off together.

Yeah, that and the show has been pretty explicit on that subject. If that was the case I'm pretty sure D&D would have rubbed it in our faces for another of their "shock moments".

UrbanRats

The story is not about Rhaegar, the story is about characters we've actually seen: Ned and Robert, and the repercussions of their character on the protagonists (such as Jon, Arya and such).
The implication that they lied and caused a war, because of jealousy, adds another layer to the narrative, because it flips characters we are familiar with on their heads.
The implication that they didn't really lie, and Rhaegar did kidnap and rape Lyanna, doesn't add anything, and toys with a character we never met and never will meet, so it holds very little weight.

The more narratively compelling outcome is obvious, and since this is fiction, people will gravitate (but this happens even with real life stories, since a beautifully told lie, is more compelling than a dull truth, which is the basis for conspiracy theories) towards the narrative that makes the story more compelling, given an equal amount of evidence to both theories.
Otherwise the answer you'd want to hear is: No one but the authors knows.

Sheroking

The story is not about Rhaegar, the story is about characters we've actually seen: Ned and Robert, and the repercussions of their character on the protagonists (such as Jon, Arya and such).
The implication that they lied and caused a war, because of jealousy, adds another layer to the narrative, because it flips characters we are familiar with on their heads.
The implication that they didn't really lie, and Rhaegar did kidnap and rape Lyanna, doesn't add anything, and toys with a character we never met and never will meet, so it holds very little weight.

The more narratively compelling outcome is obvious, and since this is fiction, people will gravitate (but this happens even with real life stories, since a beautifully told lie, is more compelling than a dull truth, which is the basis for conspiracy theories) towards the narrative that makes the story more compelling, given an equal amount of evidence to both theories.
Otherwise the answer you'd want to hear is: No one but the authors knows.

Now, mind you, I don't think Robert and Ned "lied" to start a war. I think it was probably a conclusion they jumped to after Rhaegar and Lyanna took off. At least where the show is concerned, all the dialogue in Season 1 strongly suggests that Robert believed Lyanna loved him and was taken against her will.

Ned's father and older brother rode to meet to the Mad King after the abduction supposedly took place, and Mad King answered their outrage by murdering them. That started the rebellion in earnest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom