• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajjaja

I hope Stannis dies. He should have died ages ago. I've always seen him as Joffrey-levels of an arsehole.

You're a monster.

Did anyone else notice
that that Dorne woman Oberyn was sleeping with was in the trailer, specifically at the scene where some lady is whipping a bucket off a dude's head while he's in the ground?

SHE'S MORE IMPORTANT THAN WE WERE LED TO BELIEVEEEE.

scoobs

Dat dragon... the CGI work in this show is getting more and more impressive. My favorite time of the year coming around again... so hyped

Nameless

I hope Stannis dies. He should have died ages ago. I've always seen him as Joffrey-levels of an arsehole.

Stannis is the fairest, most straightforward, and honorable man in his 7 Kingdoms, friend. He always serves a man according their deserts, so I'd advise against further blasphemy.

He saved the wall!

Whoopsiefuckingdoo. Okay, that's his only redeeming action so far.

Stannis is a sad, dark man who doesn't care for his family or to the people who are the closest and most loyal to him. His scenes are always in the nighttime in some ruin. Burning people alive for gods and stuff. Come at me, Stannis lovers.

The only people alive I care for at this point is Khaleesi, Arya, maybe Jon and surprisingly Littlefinger.

Curufinwe

You're a monster.

Did anyone else notice that that Dorne woman Oberyn was sleeping with was in the trailer, specifically at the scene where some lady is whipping a bucket off a dude's head while he's in the ground?

SHE'S MORE IMPORTANT THAN WE WERE LED TO BELIEVEEEE.

She was basically his wife. I'm not surprised she's back and kind of miffed about what happened to him.

Quick reminder on one of the spoiler rules:
- Regular TV thread rules apply:
  • Once something airs in the US on the East Coast, it's fair game. Feel free to discuss anything that has aired without using spoiler tags.
  • Anything that hasn't aired yet should be spoiler tagged including information from HBO previews, loglines, trailers, interviews, and a few other places.
  • Speculation from people that haven't read the books is fine and encouraged.

Also, book readers should be using the other thread. Thank you.

Nameless

Whoopsiefuckingdoo. Okay, that's his only redeeming action so far.

Stannis is a sad, dark man who doesn't care for his family or to the people who are the closest and most loyal to him. His scenes are always in the nighttime in some ruin. Burning people alive for gods and stuff. Come at me, Stannis lovers.

The only people alive I care for at this point is Khaleesi, Arya, maybe Jon and surprisingly Littlefinger.

-If usurpers denied you what was rightfully yours, then waged war throughout your kingdom you probably wouldn't be in the best mood either.

-He doesn't care much for his wife, but outside of her love & reverence for the Lord of Light she's batshit insane. He does, however, love his hideously deformed daughter, and clearly harbors some affection for Ser Davos as well.

-King Stannis gave the people under his banner every opportunity to disavow their false deities and embrace the warmth of the Red God. They refused, so he did it for them.

-Even Jon Snow recognizes who the true King is and he knows nothing. Meanwhile Arya has everyone in Westeros on her kill list except Stannis. The Starks know what's up.

-I like Daeny, but she need only look at what happened to everyone else who challenged the OTK's rightful claim to the throne: Renly(Dead), Robb Stark(dead), Joffrey(Dead), Balon Greyjoy(dynasty is dead). She can barely conquer cities in Essos-- leave Westeros to The Mannis.

-God and the Iron Bank have chosen Stannis, you should too, Whoopsie. We all should.

Nameless

STANNIS THE HAMMIS.

MstNjW9.gif

-If usurpers denied you what was rightfully yours, then waged war throughout your kingdom you probably wouldn't be in the best mood either.

-He doesn't care much for his wife, but outside of her love & reverence for the Lord of Light she's batshit insane. He does, however, love his hideously deformed daughter, and clearly harbors some affection for Ser Davos as well.

-King Stannis gave the people under his banner every opportunity to disavow their false deities and embrace the warmth of the Red God. They refused, so he did it for them.

-Even Jon Snow recognizes who the true King is and he knows nothing. Meanwhile Arya has everyone in Westeros on her kill list except Stannis. The Starks know what's up.

-I like Daeny, but she need only look at what happened to everyone else who challenged the OTK's rightful claim to the throne: Renly(Dead), Robb Stark(dead), Joffrey(Dead), Balon Greyjoy(dynasty is dead). She can barely conquer cities in Essos-- leave Westeros to The Mannis.

-God and the Iron Bank have chosen Stannis, you should too, Whoopsie. We all should.

When I take a dump and water splashes up my arsehole, I'm not in the best mood either, but you don't see me complaining about it or letting it ruin my day.

His daughter doesn't appear to be so hideously deformed to be honest, and I was under the impression that he didn't really love her? In some episode I think she says that Stannis visits her very rarely too. I don't remember Stannis showing much interest in his daughter, but I might be wrong. And Ser Davos is way too nice to Stannis. Ser Davos has given everything to Stannis with incredible loyalty, to the point of his son dying, and shows with pride how Stannis cut off Davos' fingers. And still Stannis treat him poorly.

Has Jon even met Stannis? He's just following the book. Arya hasn't met him either. And I know, Khaleesi most likely isn't going to get the throne. Things have been going far too well for her and everyone likes her too much. It would be too much of a "happy ending" if she got to the throne, wouldn't it?

The god (one of several? Not sure if there are multiple gods in this lore, but the Starks believe in the old gods and Arya believes in the god of death; if he's real or if it's just too appear cool I don't know) has embraced the woman in red, not Stannis.

I ain't embracing no Stannis.

dLMN8R

I recently watched the first couple seasons again and it struck me for the first time just how utterly insignificant the Baratheon rule was in the wider span of history in Westeros.

I mean, Baratheons ruled for what, maybe 15 years or so?

Compared to the previous reigns which lasted for hundreds of years or more, Baratheon was full of drunk, incompetent fools. Much like the naive, stupid Starks, the Baratheons were drunkards unworthy of ruling.

For that reason alone, Stannis can go fuck off already. Let the Targaryens rightfully rule once again. At least they can reign for a few hundred years, and it takes insanity to break up the rule rather than incompetence.

I recently watched the first couple seasons again and it struck me for the first time just how utterly insignificant the Baratheon rule was in the wider span of history in Westeros.

Compared to the previous reigns which lasted for hundreds of years or more, Baratheon was full of drunk, incompetent fools. Much like the naive, stupid Starks, the Baratheons were drunkards unworthy of ruling.

For that reason alone, Stannis can go fuck off already. Let the Targaryens rightfully rule once again. At least they can reign for a few hundred years, and it takes insanity to break up the rule rather than incompetence.

I believe Robert said to Cersei that they were married for 17 years in the first season, so Baratheon rule for about that long.

Although "officially" the Baratheons still hold the crown with the assumption that Cersei's sons are Robert's, which of course they aren't.

Nameless

When I take a dump and water splashes up my arsehole, I'm not in the best mood either, but you don't see me complaining about it or letting it ruin my day.

Funny you bring up shit because King Stannis has been getting the shit end his entire life: Second Son. War hero who never received the amount of respect and renown as some of his contemporaries. 3-4 stillborn son & heirs and one deformed daughter. Shafted out of the Baratheon holdfast, Storm's End, when Robert decided to give it to 3rd born Renly. Given the barren lands of Dragon Stone instead. After all of that he finds out he's the One True King of Westeros/the Andals/the First Men and literally the entire kingdom rises up in rebellion and denies him. So yeah, put in context it's easy to see why he's not only such a curmudgeon, but where his ruthless determination/desperation to take what's his comes from.

Unless Maester Aemon's hundred year old dick still works, or there's a stray bastard or two running around, the Targaryen line is done. Remember the Desert Witch's blood magic rendered Daeny infertile, so even if she does manage to take the Iron Throne war will break out all over again for control of it the day she dies.

Fun fact: The original patriarch of House Baratheon, Orys Baratheon, was Aegon The Conqueror's bastard brother, which means Stannis and Daenerys are distant cousins. It's also why Dragon Stone went to the Baratheons after Aegon Targaryen became King.

Funny you bring up shit because King Stannis has been getting the shit end his entire life: Second Son. War hero who never received the amount of respect and renown as some of his contemporaries. 3-4 stillborn son & heirs and one deformed daughter. Shafted out of the Baratheon holdfast, Storm's End, when Robert decided to give it to 3rd born Renly. Given the barren lands of Dragon Stone instead. After all of that he finds out he's the One True King of Westeros/the Andals/the First Men and literally the entire kingdom rises up in rebellion and denies him. So yeah, put in context it's easy to see why he's not only such a curmudgeon, but where his ruthless determination/desperation to take what's his comes from.

Unless Maester Aemon's hundred year old dick still works, or there's a stray bastard or two running around, the Targaryen line is done. Remember the Desert Witch's blood magic rendered Daeny infertile, so even if she does manage to take the Iron Throne war will break out all over again for control of it the day she dies.

Fun fact: The original patriarch of House Baratheon, Orys Baratheon, was Aegon The Conqueror's bastard brother, which means Stannis and Daenerys are distant cousins. It's also why Dragon Stone went to the Baratheons after Aegon Targaryen became King.

Is Maester Aemon Daenery's uncle?

Nameless

HBO talks Game of Thrones future: More than 7 seasons wanted

“This is the hard part of what we do,” sighs HBO programming president Michael Lombardo. “We started this journey with David and Dan. It’s their vision. Would I love the show to go 10 years as both a fan and a network executive? Absolutely.”

So if the producers prefer seven seasons and HBO prefers more, what happens? A conversation. Perhaps more than one. Like amicable spouses who avoid a sensitive area of disagreement, this issue is something HBO and the showrunners haven’t discussed thus far (“So about season seven–” / “Hey look, a dragon!”). “We’ll have an honest conversation that explores all possible avenues,” Lombardo says. “If they weren’t comfortable going beyond seven seasons, I trust them implicitly and trust that’s the right decision—as horrifying as that is to me. What I’m not going to do is have a show continue past where the creators believe where they feel they’ve finished with the story.”

Yet another possibility is that HBO might opt to extend Thrones with a spin-off. There have been no specific conversations on that front as of yet, though Martin has a development deal at the network. The author is currently writing the next book in his saga, although at this point he’s not expected to keep pace with the show. (Martin has two books remaining and no publication dates in sight.) Since the showrunners know Martin’s master story plan, they’re preparing to plow ahead into some new, unpublished narrative territory next year – assuming Martin doesn’t get The Winds of Winter out before next spring.  

Perhaps the most likely outcome for the end of Thrones is having an extended, split-run seventh and final season — where more episodes are ordered than Thrones’ usual 10, but half air one year and half air the next. This would get HBO another “season” without having to renegotiate with the cast since all the episodes are technically part of the seventh round they’re already optioned for. AMC employed this strategy with the final seasons of Breaking Bad and Mad Men, but HBO used this technique first with the sixth and final season of The Sopranos, which consisted of 21 episodes instead of the usual 13. Additionally distributing the final two hours beyond HBO with some sort of theatrical run for fans who want to see it in the theater wouldn’t be surprising, either. 

I like the the spin-off Idea. There are countless amazing stories and characters they could pull from the lore, and it could be done True Detective style where each season features a new cast and a new story.

They can fuck right off with the AMC approach of milking the final season for everything its worth, though. 10 episodes a year is barely enough --6 or 7 would be nothing more than a painful cock tease.

Pachimari

Just finished watching the premiere episode of Season 1 and I think me and the girl are totally sucked in. It might even be her new favorite show.

There's a lot of things going on already and I'm trying to keep my head straight and remember all of the names, towns and people. I have a hard time remembering the people, not the names of the characters but the people.

Super interesting with the blondes murdering the Hand of the King and them wanting to regain the power. And there's a lot of unexpected scenes like all of the nudity, beheadings and the child being pushed to his death by the end.

Top class premiere but remembering everything is a little hard.

Is there a place where I can print out a map of the whole land btw? Would be a nice help but I don't know if it would spoiler anything.

Just finished watching the premiere episode of Season 1 and I think me and the girl are totally sucked in. It might even be her new favorite show.

There's a lot of things going on already and I'm trying to keep my head straight and remember all of the names, towns and people. I have a hard time remembering the people, not the names of the characters but the people.

Super interesting with the blondes murdering the Hand of the King and them wanting to regain the power. And there's a lot of unexpected scenes like all of the nudity, beheadings and the child being pushed to his death by the end.

Is there a place where I can print out a map of the whole land btw? Would be a nice help but I don't know if it would spoiler anything.

Oh man, I wish I could be you and experience it all from the beginning again.

Stay away from this thread and many others before you get caught up. You're in for a wild ride, friend. :D

Szeth

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/season-1/episode-1/map

Here's a good spoiler free map and an endless amount of information on the characters and houses. You can go episode by episode without spoiling a thing.

Enjoy the show and remember to never google anything!

dLMN8R

Yeah, HBO's own site is definitely the best resources for people just starting to watch now. They have sites dedicated to each episode which talk about only what you'd know by that episode.

Reading your post is just great in retrospect though :) you should bookmark your own post just so you can go back and read it once you're all caught up! Trust me you'll get a kick out of it.

Nekofrog

Banned

1. don't google anything about this show
2. GET OUT OF THIS THREAD NOW

Since the show is coming back soon something about the S4 finale that I've never figure out.

What the hell did Arya showed to the captain (that's going to Bravos)? I know it's some kind of coin but where did she get it and what does it mean? Then she said something to him right that makes him like "YOU GET A CABIN!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom