• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaaraz

Went to the Game of Thrones exhibition a few days ago, the amount of detail in the costumes/props was incredible! Here are some of my favourites: http://imgur.com/a/dpLvx/

Also, can't believe Jack Gleeson has retired! Seems like a waste of talent somehow, he was incredible as Joffrey.

Anyone noticed yet, that Arya is a lefty? Nothing special, but still pretty cool in my book, since I'm one myself.

Funny thing is Maisie Williams is right-handed but plays left-handed in the show because Arya is a lefty.

Yeah. She came to the set and said that she had to do it left-handed. No one in crew demanded that she'd do it, and they were all surprised. In some scenes she do things right-handed because they set up the cameras in advance and didn't realize she was playing a left-handed character.

Venture

Went to the Game of Thrones exhibition a few days ago, the amount of detail in the costumes/props was incredible! Here are some of my favourites: [B]http://imgur.com/a/dpLvx/[/B]

Also, can't believe Jack Gleeson has retired! Seems like a waste of talent somehow, he was incredible as Joffrey.
That link isn't working for me. I think the bolding is throwing it off.

http://imgur.com/a/dpLvx
Nice pictures. Lots of little things I hadn't noticed, like the feathers on Jorah's sword sheath.

raindoc

Guys,I tried to find the Telltale GoT thread, but it seems impossible on mobile, csn anybody help me?

(or answer my question directly: since E2 is now out - do my decisions actually matter this time around and warrant more than one playthrough?)

Karu

That is one fucking amazing trailer. The visuals are beyond epic. Look at those shots. The budget must have been incredibnly high. So pumped.

Pachimari

As I don't know what this show is about, and with all the buzz and cinema premieres in the US, I have become a little curious as to what it's all about.

So with that I have at this moment started up Season Episode 1. Is it like the Lord of the Rings movies kind of fantasy stuff?

foxtrot3d

Banned
As I don't know what this show is about, and with all the buzz and cinema premieres in the US, I have become a little curious as to what it's all about.

So with that I have at this moment started up Season Episode 1. Is it like the Lord of the Rings movies kind of fantasy stuff?

Yes and NO. It's a fantasy show/book series and thus similar to LOTR. But, is more of a "realistic" fantasy. Their isn't much use of outward magic, in fact many believe such stuff doesn't exist and the conflict isn't between "good v. evil." But, instead it's about the various political machinations of the various family Houses in the fictional world.

Beyond that, I won't really say. Just watch at least the first five or so episodes and you should understand. If you're not hooked by the end of S1, well there is probably something wrong with you but you also probably won't like the rest.

EDIT:

Also, GET THE HELL OUT OF THIS THREAD! There's spoilers EVERYWERE. In fact, if you haven't been spoiled by anything yet then just shield yourself from the internet until you've watched past S3.

similar world but not nearly as heavy with fantasy stuff

Lothar

Banned

It's like Lord of the Rings but with deep interesting realistic characters. It's almost never just good vs evil. After GoT, it's hard to go back and watch LOTR.

Slevin

Wow I'm so jealous of you right now haha. Season 1 is a full on fantasy series but it is a little more subdued than LotR in my opinion. It also has a lot stronger political themes and situations. The biggest thing you can do I think is to really, really pay attention to all the character names and back-stories as there are a lot of them and it's easy to become disinterested if you can't remember who anyone is talking about.

For me season 1 clicked when I finally remembered all the characters and started to care about the world they were in.

Pachimari

Yes and NO. It's a fantasy show/book series and thus similar to LOTR. But, is more of a "realistic" fantasy. Their isn't much use of outward magic, in fact many believe such stuff doesn't exist and the conflict isn't between "good v. evil." But, instead it's about the various political machinations of the various family Houses in the fictional world.

Beyond that, I won't really say. Just watch at least the first five or so episodes and you should understand. If you're not hooked by the end of S1, well there is probably something wrong with you but you also probably won't like the rest.

EDIT:

Also, GET THE HELL OUT OF THIS THREAD! There's spoilers EVERYWERE. In fact, if you haven't been spoiled by anything yet then just shield yourself from the internet until you've watched past S3.
I haven't been spoiled on anything cause I haven't been paying attention to the show. I haven't been in the mood for fantasy but I will try and dig into a couple of episodes and see if it's something for me.

After GoT, it's hard to go back and watch LOTR.
Hype-inducing.

[edit]
I'm so bad at remembering names, and places etc. Bad memory.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I haven't been spoiled on anything cause I haven't been paying attention to the show. I haven't been in the mood for fantasy but I will try and dig into a couple of episodes and see if it's something for me.

Hype-inducing.

[edit]

Just be sure not to google anything about it - you WILL be spoiled.

berzeli

Banned
I didn't like the first trailer but that one was wonderful, love that the trailer for once was available on a service that doesn't compress all their videos to shit. I now just have to hope that HBO Nordic and whoever is their technology provider gets their head out their ass and make a ps3 app/improves their pc solution before the new season airs.

Also if someone wants a link to the 1080p version on Apple's website:
movietrailers.apple.com/movies/independent/got5/thewheel-got-acard_1080p.mov

Easiest way to access it would be; Quicktime->File->Open URL->paste the above URL (add http://)

Lothar

Banned

Hype-inducing.

[edit]

My recommendation is to be sure to watch the "Previously Ons" before each episode. If you're watching them on DVDs, they're unfortunately not shown before the episode, and they're labeled recaps that you have to click on. So after you watch an episode, click the recap.

Nameless

Goooooood daamn that trailer.

Shit is literally hitting the fan all over Westeros and Essos. Holy Fuck me.
Roose vs Stannis !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
. To.much.hype..unable to contain

The One True King coming for what's his bitches and no one can stop him!!

zs2Vvtl.gif

dLMN8R

One of my first recommendations to any new Game of Thrones watcher is to turn on subtitles.

With so many character names and terms thrown at you, it's helpful (at least for me) to see them spelled out.

But yeah, it's really nothing like Lord of the Rings in any way except for the fact that they're both Fantasy. Within Fantasy they're in completely different genres. Game of Thrones is a political/action thriller, while Lord of the Rings is full-blown adventure.

Loxley

Watching that new trailer and man, this show's budget must freaking enormous now. All of those effects shots look fantastic.

Nameless

Quick drop-in from the spoiler thread, I grabbed HQ shots of every shot from the new trailer thanks to that 1080p Quicktime, thought you guys might like them in this thread too.

Here's the album.

Thanks man. There's definitely a ton of stuff to unpack here.

I thought Bronn and Jaime were fighting the same dude(s) in the trailer, but wasn't sure.
Hype continuing to rise.

Jacob

Trailer is awesome. Won't say any more since this is the spoiler-free thread, but I'm really looking forward to S5.

But yeah, it's really nothing like Lord of the Rings in any way except for the fact that they're both Fantasy. Within Fantasy they're in completely different genres. Game of Thrones is a political/action thriller, while Lord of the Rings is full-blown adventure.

Those descriptions only capture single aspects of Game of Thrones and The Lord of the Rings (though the LOTR movies are more action-adventurish than the books). Both GOT and LOTR are epic fantasies, and neither are all that heavy on the magic (LOTR's magic is slightly less subdued), but GOT is more influenced by medieval history than myth, and it does go into a lot more detail with the political stuff. Martin has been very open about his debts to Tolkien, but his writing reflects some of the evolution of the genre (or at least parts of it) since Tolkien's time.

Goooooood daamn that trailer.

Shit is literally hitting the fan all over Westeros and Essos. Holy Fuck me.
Roose vs Stannis !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
. To.much.hype..unable to contain

The One True King coming for what's his bitches and no one can stop him!!

http://i.imgur.com/zs2Vvtl.gif[img][/QUOTE]

I hope Stannis dies. He should have died ages ago. I've always seen him as Joffrey-levels of an arsehole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom