• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones |OT| The offseason thread - Season 3 returns March 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
All books spoilers
Don't forget that he has a fairly large role in ADWD as Abel the bard, helping Theon + Jeyne/Arya escape, plus his "death".

Correct. [series]
I doubt Mance's role in the series is done. He plays an important part in DWD and in future books it could be even bigger...

Wray

ASOS and brief spoilers for following books
Mance is certainly a charismatic character but given his arc, I don't see the point in spurging on a big name. He develops a relationship with Jon, proves himself to be a great leader, is betrayed, leads an attack on the Wall, and then gets captured. After that he doesn't do much of anything but get fake-killed, then is sent on a mission to Winterfell off screen. Let's say S3 ends Jon's ASOS arc with him riding to the Wall to warn the NW of impending attack, and S4 features the battle/capture of Mance.

Obviously new scenes will be developed for him, but given the writer's history of handling completely new arcs why should anyone be confident? Worse yet, I'm baffled why a big name actor would even want to dedicate so much time to a role that will pretty much become nondescript after two seasons.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if his story is changed a bit in S3 and he accompanies Jon and the initial raiding party at the wall, then escapes after Ygritte dies and goes back to setup the major battle in S4.

Come to think of it, I cant remember, but did any of that raiding party actually survive that skirmish?

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Don't know which thread to use but since this is the safe thread I guess I'll post here.
I was trying to buy Dance paperback last night since I finished Feast and it was delayed to March NEXT YEAR. Last I saw before last night was that it had a release date of August 28 this year. Guess I'll buy the hardcover.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Don't know which thread to use but since this is the safe thread I guess I'll post here.
I was trying to buy Dance paperback last night since I finished Feast and it was delayed to March NEXT YEAR. Last I saw before last night was that it had a release date of August 28 this year. Guess I'll buy the hardcover.

Really? The ADWD paperback is out in the UK...

border

Amazon uk will ship overseas. Thats how I got my uk versions of Harry Potter.

If you have to pay overseas shipping costs that somewhat defeats the purpose of buying a cheap paperback. Used hardcover copies of ADWD seem to be going for less than $20 (after shipping), so I don't see much room for savings with an import paperback. Not worth it unless you absolutely must have it in paperback size.

Did you buy the "adult" versions of the HP books? I was considering it for a while.

Well, finally started watching the final half of the season. Felt completely burnt out after five episodes. Episode six was good, let's see how seven is.

A question about Tyrion and Jaime:

I'm at the point in ASOS 2 where Jaime frees Tyrion and Tyrion lies about killing Joffrey. My question is, does Jaime eventually find out that Tyrion lied, or does he continue to believe that he did it? A one word answer either way would be good, thanks.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill

I'm at the point in ASOS 2 where Jaime frees Tyrion and Tyrion lies about killing Joffrey. My question is, does Jaime eventually find out that Tyrion lied, or does he continue to believe that he did it? A one word answer either way would be good, thanks.

May want to but a label on the outside of that spoiler, this is the TV thread.

I haven't been keeping track but has it been confirmed whether or not this season will be all of aSoS or just somewhere around half like previously speculated?

aSoS
Jaime does not know, he still thinks that Tyrion did it

I never understand why people want to be spoiled.

kharma45

Just got a text there now from the casting company offering me an extra's part in it on the condition I grow my hair long, so tempted to say yes but I dunno if I could have long hair for real everyday for the next few months, if they offered a wig I'd say yes in an instant.

Edit - Just thinking too, no way I'll have long hair by the time they want to start recording :\

Wray

This thread is so dead without Cornballer.

There hasn't been much going on lately. Casting announcements have seemed to dried up for whatever reason. But we still have some big roles left that need to be filled, Mance, Dario, Vargo Hoat, Belwas (Hopefully!).

On the plus side, we should be getting our first trailers and new footage in a few months.

gutshot

There hasn't been much going on lately. Casting announcements have seemed to dried up for whatever reason. But we still have some big roles left that need to be filled, Mance, Dario, Vargo Hoat, Belwas (Hopefully!).

On the plus side, we should be getting our first trailers and new footage in a few months.

True, there hasn't been much in the way of casting, but Cornballer was always posting GoT-related links that helped spur discussion and kept the page active. There have been plenty of those these past few weeks. You can see what happens when that influx of news is gone.

True, there hasn't been much in the way of casting, but Cornballer was always posting GoT-related links that helped spur discussion and kept the page active. There have been plenty of those these past few weeks. You can see what happens when that influx of news is gone.

All the complaining has also seemed to fizzle out as well, which helped to generate content and discussion.

Normally I post links for new stuff, but I admit I've been slacking lately.

ronito

So still no news on Mance? Think he wont even be in this next season? It's getting a little late in the shooting not to have announced something.

So still no news on Mance? Think he wont even be in this next season? It's getting a little late in the shooting not to have announced something.

He'll be in the season, apparently they offered the role to Dominic West, but he turned it down.

The Beyond the Wall portions of the show haven't started filming yet. Kit is still walking around on crutches and they are saying that his injury will not interfere with the production schedule at all.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
He'll be in the season, apparently they offered the role to Dominic West, but he turned it down.

The Beyond the Wall portions of the show haven't started filming yet. Kit is still walking around on crutches and they are saying that his injury will not interfere with the production schedule at all.

What happened to Kit?

gutshot

WiC.net returning season for season 3. (spoilers)

Nothing new there, but it has the known returning cast members all in one place.

I'm still super bitter about no Clive Mantle.

Don't tell me I never post news! :p

I don't hold it against you. Cornballer is a tough act to follow. He somehow found every little news item out there. There was more than a few times that, when I was going to make one of our news roundup posts, I just pulled up Cornballer's post history. Haha!

At any rate, I suspect the thread will pick up once we start getting trailers and other promos.

PS Thanks for the link. ;)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
WiC.net returning season for season 3. (spoilers)

Nothing new there, but it has the known returning cast members all in one place.

I'm still super bitter about no Clive Mantle.

Don't tell me I never post news! :p

GOT and ASOS

I wonder if they're going to just bypass the whole Selmy in disguise thing and have his identity known immediately. Be a tough thing to pull off I think. Same thing happened in season 1 where it was ambiguous in the book who Arya saw with Varys, the show flat out showed Illyrio

I don't hold it against you. Cornballer is a tough act to follow. He somehow found every little news item out there. There was more than a few times that, when I was going to make one of our news roundup posts, I just pulled up Cornballer's post history. Haha!

At any rate, I suspect the thread will pick up once we start getting trailers and other promos.

PS Thanks for the link. ;)
Don't worry I was just kidding, I don't expect to match Cornballer's mastery. He didn't get the Mod in the North title for no reason.
GOT and ASOS

I wonder if they're going to just bypass the whole Selmy in disguise thing and have his identity known immediately. Be a tough thing to pull off I think. Same thing happened in season 1 where it was ambiguous in the book who Arya saw with Varys, the show flat out showed Illyrio
ASOS
I think that even if they attempt to disguise him, the audience will recognize him, but I don't think that's a bad thing. The audience will know who he is, but Dany won't know, which could create an interesting tension for the audience wondering if she'll find out his identity and what she'll do if she does.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Don't worry I was just kidding, I don't expect to match Cornballer's mastery. He didn't get the Mod in the North title for no reason.

ASOS
I think that even if they attempt to disguise him, the audience will recognize him, but I don't think that's a bad thing. The audience will know who he is, but Dany won't know, which could create an interesting tension for the audience wondering if she'll find out his identity and what she'll do if she does.

ASOS

But what point woudl it serve? Even in the show, the confrontation when his identity is revealed would be the same. Would there be any meaningful difference from Selmy wanting to see what type of Queen she was and just having the line "I've heard hwat a great leader you are" when he shows up?

Massa

ASOS

But what point woudl it serve? Even in the show, the confrontation when his identity is revealed would be the same. Would there be any meaningful difference from Selmy wanting to see what type of Queen she was and just having the line "I've heard hwat a great leader you are" when he shows up?

Steelyuhas just said it:
it would create tension for the audience wondering what the hell he's up to.

GOT and ASOS

ASOS
Barristan's and Jorah's "treachery" being revealed together later on which leads to their suicide mission, it could affect that.

I think you guys are overestimating the memories of the average show-watcher. I've just finished ASOS, but when the 'reveal' occurred, I could barely remember the story behind the character, much less recognise the actor who played that person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom