• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones |OT| The offseason thread - Season 3 returns March 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gambit

I was really hoping for Purefoy, but am absolutely fine with Cesar himself.

In any case, Rome IS worth watching. It's delicious.

iNvid02

hinds comes across as pretty intimidating without doing anything, if this is the type of character mance rayder is supposed to be like then he's already nailed it
KuGsj.gif

also everyone should watch rome now, seriously.

Is Rome worth watching? I mean, is it in the same tier as shows like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Deadwood, etc. or is it a tier or two below?

I'd put it a bit above Deadwood and well ahead of breaking bad. The only weakness in Rome is the rushed conclusion. The first season is probably my favorite season of any show ever (has one of the awesomest scenes in any show THIRTEEN!!!!) with the possible exception of season 4 of the Wire.

I don't know...I love Ciaran Hinds, but I always picture him as such a dour actor. Mance seems so jovial at times...could be a really fun performance, though.
My reaction as well. He's a great actor so u have no doubt he'll be great. Hopefully they can salvage the wreckage they created for Jon's arc

My reaction as well. He's a great actor so u have no doubt he'll be great. Hopefully they can salvage the wreckage they created for Jon's arc

Casting Hinds in the role gives me some hope that they're going to make an effort with Jon's story this time around. Who knows though, maybe Mance will just make jokes about how the Nights Watch only has men in it for several weeks like we got last season.

Same. Purefoy would be astounding.

Anyway my first reaction is definitely 'too old'. West seems like a much better fit on both personality and age.

Older is actually probably preferable here.

ASOS Not really sure if this would be considered spoilers, but just to be safe

The show has denied Jon a father figure/mentor and made him dumb as a pile of bricks. Mormont is the closest but most of their interactions are him yelling at Jon for being a dumbass (at least in the book Jon took part in conversations with him, in the show it's mostly one sided). And the Halfhand was turned into a joke. Assuming they're going to stick to the storyline he's going to need someone to show him what's what. Tormund doesn't really fit the bill and there's no Donal Noye. Hinds would fit better than West. Purefoy would have worked for that as well, but I think I still prefer Hinds. Assuming they're going to make an effort this time and not fuck things up.

Jharp

So the last two months has been nothing but Ice and Fire for me. Been meaning to read it since I was in high school (around 2005-6 was when I first heard of it) and always put it off. Then the show came out and it exploded, and I lost all interest in the series because I couldn't escape it anywhere I went. Finally, this summer, a friend of mine that was way into the books and hated the show sat me down to watch the first season in order to get an "outside perspective" on it. It was all downhill from there. Here's my Ice and Fire timeline:
Season 1 of the show -> Clash of Kings -> Season 2 of the show/Storm of Swords -> Feast for Crows -> Game of Thrones -> Currently 16 chapters into Dance with Dragons

I can't tell you how disappointing I think Season 2 was. Clash is my favorite of the books so far, and man, Season 2 just shit all over it. That said, Season 1 was fantastic. I'm glad I went back to Game between Feast and Dance, just to have it under my belt, and I was surprised at just how insanely close to the book Season 1 was (Brynden Tully being left out being the biggest change, and he wasn't THAT big in the book, though I did found a new appreciation for the Black Fish by reading Game.)

Anyways, I just felt like sharing all that. I've had almost every major plot point in Dance spoiled for me, simply by reading too deep on the Wiki, the major ones being
Baby Aegon being alive, Zombie Gregor Clegane, "Arya Stark" being Jeyne Poole, and Jon's betrayal
. That said, i'm still quite enjoying the novel, though I really think splitting up Feast and Dance the way he did was a mistake. It just affects the otherwise natural pacing of the series so drastically. It is nice seeing the same parts of Feast from different character's perspectives though, especially between Sam and Jon.

But yeah, Ice and Fire is tits. Season 2 of the show was balls, but I remain hopefull for Season 3 just because they're adopting back in several characters that were bafflingly ommited, as well as splitting up the book into two seasons, which is what they really should have done from Clash/Season 2 onwards.

Casting Hinds in the role gives me some hope that they're going to make an effort with Jon's story this time around. Who knows though, maybe Mance will just make jokes about how the Nights Watch only has men in it for several weeks like we got last season.

Or maybe he'll just talk a bit, play his harp, and do nothing interesting. I'm still bummed about Halfhand. He got such a great introduction in terms of other characters hyping him...then he shows up and does nothing. Well, outside of using his x-ray vision to count wildlings miles away in a snow storm.

Or maybe he'll just talk a bit, play his harp, and do nothing interesting. I'm still bummed about Halfhand. He got such a great introduction in terms of other characters hyping him...then he shows up and does nothing. Well, outside of using his x-ray vision to count wildlings miles away in a snow storm.

What they did to the Halfhand was a crime.

MNC

A feast for crows us such a slow book compared after having just read the best book in the series. I can tell
braavos
is going to look amazing though.

MNC

- WiC.net: Daario Naharis and Grey Worm castMuch more info and some videos via the link.

I actually pictured them the other way around, kind of.

Like most others in here, seems older than I've pictured Mance, but very excited for this casting.

Also, this is a couple of days old, but WiC has updated their returning cast article with (season 3 spoilers)
Kate Dickie, who plays Lysa Arryn. This was expected as we already knew that Robin Arryn would be in season 3, but now it's confirmed.
Link

WHAT THE FUCK, SHE WAS IN PROMETHEUS?!?!?!

Iksenpets

Banned
But...she shouldn't feature until season 4 :(

They're probably going to SoS
show Littlefinger's travel to the Vale and meeting with her. They seem obsessed with keeping his machinations on screen, and without showing him in the Vale he'd basically be gone all season outside of the first few episodes.

Also, glad to see I wasn't alone in having to look up who the hell Prendahl was. GRRM flawlessly crafted the Ghiscari language to create the most forgettable names possible.

They're probably going to SoS
show Littlefinger's travel to the Vale and meeting with her. They seem obsessed with keeping his machinations on screen, and without showing him in the Vale he'd basically be gone all season outside of the first few episodes.

This can't happen until after the
Purple Wedding
though.

Grey Worm looks almost exactly like I pictured him. Daario looks decent I guess. He'll probably look better with blue hair and a beard.
Do you guys think they'll do the blue hair and beard?
I was under the impression that
he travelled to the Vale prior to the Wedding to arrange his plans with Lysa, and then came back to KL in time for the wedding. But I may be remembering incorrectly.
I was under the impression that (ASOS)
He said he was off to the Vale, but he remained near Kings Landing until after the wedding.

Iksenpets

Banned
Do you guys think they'll do the blue hair and beard?

I was under the impression that (ASOS)
He said he was off to the Vale, but he remained near Kings Landing until after the wedding.

Upon checking the wiki, you're right. No idea what they're doing with Lysa in that case. They must be rewriting something to put her on screen, which is weird because in my experience she's the one minor character casual fans are most likely to remember. That breastfeeding scene really creeped some people out.

And no way they do the blue hair and teeth. They'll give him a blue streak, similar to what they did with Jaqen, and give him lots of gold jewelry for the bling factor of the teeth. I would guess that the naked lady handles are still in though. No way they're passing up on those.

Wray

Disappointed no Ashur, but I think the Daario they got will have the swagger.

This can't happen until after the
Purple Wedding
though.

Obviously they would change that.

Would be a change for the better too.
He leaves for the Vale, except in the show actually goes there and meets Lysa, giving them both needed screen time to keep them relevant. They discuss their plans, and Littlefinger returns at the end of the season to whisk Sansa away after the Purple Wedding. I also predict they'll keep Dontos alive and use him in place of Marillion for S4.

Wray

The only significant role left to be cast now I think is Vargo Hoat and possibly Belwas. I'm leaning toward Belwas being introduced in S4 though at this point. It makes sense, since
he is from Meereen and is a Meereenese pit fighter
. Here's the list I got, but alot of these guys are minor and will either be cut or pushed to S4.

Vargo Hoat
Strong Belwas

Lem Lemoncloak
Tom O’Sevens

Patchface

Zollo
Shagwell
Urswyck
Utt

Grazdan mo Ullhor
Cleon

Brown Ben Plumm
Titan's Bastard
Grazdan mo Eraz

Val
Styr
Coldhands

Dacey Mormont
Black Frey (Or Some other Frey)
Small Paul

Anybody I'm missing of note?

Trident forked beard or I'm bailing out.

Anybody I'm missing of note?

Some of these characters could be pushed back or moved, but other ones I can think of.

Mace Tyrell (probably being pushed off or we would have heard something by now)
Dalla
Roslin Frey
Edric Dayne
Harwin
Edric Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom