• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones |OT| The offseason thread - Season 3 returns March 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.
- EW.com: 'Game of Thrones' casts 'Rome' actor as Mance Rayder
The biggest new Game of Thrones role is going to…

Ciarán Hinds!

The Rome actor has been cast as Wildling leader Mance Rayder, the King Beyond the Wall. Rayder has united the disparate clans of the Far North behind a single mission:
To attack The Wall.
He’s been frequently referenced (though unseen) in the HBO hit fantasy drama’s first two seasons. In the second season finale, undercover Night’s Watchman Jon Snow (Kit Harington) was being taken to meet Rayder.

jfsyp.jpg

I wonder if they are going to stick with the whole
bard act
, it seems like a strange bit of casting if they are. Hinds doesn't really give you the impression of
a musician with a fondness for legends.

pr0cs

I really liked him in Rome, I suppose from a logical point of view you would expect a little older to be the leader of the 'free people' or the king beyond the wall. It will be interesting how they change his looks for the part (hair, etc).

Enosh

Caesar!

but isn't he kinda, well to old?
ADWD
didn't he unleash a can of whoopass on Jon Snow in that friendly duel? I can't see Caesar doing that tbh...

calza

Caesar!

but isn't he kinda, well to old?
ADWD
didn't he unleash a can of whoopass on Jon Snow in that friendly duel? I can't see Caesar doing that tbh...

yeah but he was Rattleshirt so it wouldn't have to be that actor doing that

Nice!

Older than I always pictured Mance, but as seems par for the course with GoT, how I imagined the character in the book doesn't match up with the actors they're casting. But so long as they're solid actors, its no big deal. And Hinds is a very solid actor.

I don't know...I love Ciaran Hinds, but I always picture him as such a dour actor. Mance seems so jovial at times...could be a really fun performance, though.

Altazor

now for the ROME reunion to be complete, they have to cast James Purefoy, Ray Stevenson and rescue Kevin McKidd from the clutches of Grey's Anatomy.

Good news anyway! I never pictudes Mance looking that old but Ciaran is a good actor and can bring a lot to the role.

gutshot

Hmmm...what other Rome actors could work on GoT?

Purefoy could be the Red Viper or Euron Greyjoy.
Maybe have Kevin McKidd as Victarion?

I bet Polly Walker would have made a great Cersei.

You picked McKidd as Victarion instead of Ray Stevenson? Are you cray-cray? Purefoy and Stevenson as the Victarion brothers would be awesome on so many levels.

Zoibie

I always pictured Mance as a more rugged, less flamboyant Renly, but that's still some great casting. Excited to see what he does with the character.

Sotha Sil

I think he can nail Mance's charisma, less sure on having him convincingly sneak around unnoticed pretending to be a singer. I definitely think their instincts were right in offering to Dominic West first, but this should still be great.

Yeah, I loved him in Rome, but know nothing about his range. Still excited though, hope he'll surprise us.

Like most others in here, seems older than I've pictured Mance, but very excited for this casting.

Also, this is a couple of days old, but WiC has updated their returning cast article with (season 3 spoilers)
Kate Dickie, who plays Lysa Arryn. This was expected as we already knew that Robin Arryn would be in season 3, but now it's confirmed.
Link

Wray

Ciaran Hinds is amazing casting. Him and Purefoy were so great on Rome together.

Now we just need Purefoy for Red Viper or Euron next season!

Better than McNulty. This show has always been great in casting. If they actually do something with Mance it could go along way to repairing the Jon storyline which they shit on and broke.

Dr Prob

Banned
This is awesome news. Felt like McNulty would have been perfect, but I totally can see Caesar being all "yeah, ok" with the Tormund dude.

CrunchyB

Ciarán Hinds!

OMG! Coincidentally, earlier this week I saw Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. I noticed Hinds and because I always liked him, I saw The Debt yesterday. Both solid movies.

Fantastic actor. Not exactly how I pictured Mance (minor spoiler)
who is quite open and charismatic while Hinds is often more solemn and brooding

But I'm glad they cast a good actor at least :)

Still hoping they cast Purefoy or West as the Red Viper (probably next season).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Interesting choice for Mance. He's different from what I pictured, but he's a good actor and I think he'll do well in the role.

Arment

Perhaps not what I envisioned but the character is sure to be great because of the excellent actor they picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom