• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones: Spoiler reaction to Season 3 - Episode NINE!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

Actually more than anything that the HBO show adopted from the book, he seems to be pissed at the unplanned abortion of Ned Jr. and murder of Talisa, which was not in the book. Not that this makes it any less hilarious: I'm so tired of these wishy-washy fucks whining about brutality in a show which thematically is made for it. Watch some other show I say if you're too much of a scared puss to sit through this one. I hear the Hallmark Channel has some good shows, is what I would tell the mediaite guy.

Amen. What show does he think he's been watching for the last three years? Hahaha.

Maybe we're desensitized, but while the quantity of violence spiked high for the scene, the 'quality', as it were didn't so much. We've seen flaying, implied rat-eating-torture, setting people ablaze, too many throats slit to count....all before this episode.

Zeliard

Amen. What show does he think he's been watching for the last three years? Hahaha.

Maybe we're desensitized, but while the quantity of violence spiked high for the scene, the 'quality', as it were didn't so much. We've seen flaying, implied rat-eating-torture, setting people ablaze, too many throats slit to count....all before this episode.

I thought I was desensitized to violence on TV, then the Talisa murder happened.

God damn.

I went on and reread ADWD
Wull's speech when the army of Stannis and North is stuck near Winterfell. And it gave me lots of FEELs. “Winter is almost upon us, boy. And winter is death. I would sooner my men die fighting for the Ned’s little girl than alone and hungry in the snow, weeping tears that freeze upon their cheeks. No one sings songs of men who die like that. As for me, I am old. This will be my last winter. Let me bathe in Bolton blood before I die. I want to feel it spatter across my face when my axe bites deep into a Bolton skull. I want to lick it off my lips and die with the taste of it on my tongue.”

Bring it on motherfucker.

this is one of my favorite speeches in the books.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Wull's speech when the army of Stannis and North is stuck near Winterfell. And it gave me lots of FEELs. “Winter is almost upon us, boy. And winter is death. I would sooner my men die fighting for the Ned’s little girl than alone and hungry in the snow, weeping tears that freeze upon their cheeks. No one sings songs of men who die like that. As for me, I am old. This will be my last winter. Let me bathe in Bolton blood before I die. I want to feel it spatter across my face when my axe bites deep into a Bolton skull. I want to lick it off my lips and die with the taste of it on my tongue.”

I just read that chapter today. Was awesome.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

I also think it was an unneeded addition. The scene was plenty powerful enough based on the source material. I didn't even mind them having her at the wedding and killed, but the baby thing reeked of forced feels In a scene that had plenty of real feels.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Best thing about this episode, and this season, is that it's really going to shut up all the plebes who kept saying stuff like, "GoT is just trashy fun," or "It's not even remotely on the same level as Breaking Bad/The Wire/insert highly reviewed show."

Game of Thrones Season 4 is going to hit The Wire Season 4 heights.

Game of Thrones is the Citizen Kane of television.

Andvary

Honestly I think the show watchers got off much easier than the book readers, the build up to it in the book was fucking nerve wracking, a sense of dread that just keeps building and building page after page. The show can't recreate that since it's not telling the story from Cat's perspective so it goes for the shock and awe blitz route.

Yup.

So I made this thing...I am just sad that I think this is the only place I can post it lol

lPTwl0B.gif

Redo it, make Catelyn Don, have her slit the wife throat(Reggie) then finish it up the way it is now...

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Game of Thrones is the Citizen Kane of television.

I hope my sarcasm detector isn't failing me right now because...you can't be serious?

GoT is fun but the show post season 1 has been a slow and steady decline into a disjointed mess, if you're from book reading land this is distorted by the fact that you already know everything but this show is a total shit show right now.

Every episode this season save 9 and 4 have played like a total montage. It's just snippets of each character and plot points that don't really feel like they're leading anywhere, if you ask me the major plot of this whole season so far has been Dany's gathering of forces and Sansa getting married. Everything else INCLUDING jaime has felt like a side show attraction. GoT is an enjoyable show but it is not a master piece by any means.

Acting is top notch
The setting is fantastic
Episode construction is absolutely piss poor

The producers know they're extremely constrained by time yet they still shoot certain scenes like they have all the time in the world! It's very frustrating to watch an episode of season 3, which is a shame because as a non book reader I absolutely adore the world and characters...well maybe not all the characters.

Loxley

As someone who hasn't read the books, these have been my realizations as these three seasons have ended.

Season 1: Man, you really can't trust the Lannisters keep there word, can you? Lesson learned.

Season 2: Man, you really can't trust anyone to keep their word in this universe, can you? Lesson learned.

Season 3: Fuck it. Fuck it all. Everyone is out for themselves. No one gives a shit about anyone. Everyone's a backstabbing asshole, and if they haven't stabbed anyone in the back yet, then they're just biding their time until they can.

I'm half expecting Daenerys' dragons to eat her at this point. And then each other.

Duallusion

Now that the dust has settled a bit in me, I'm not particulary fond of how Catelyn managed to get within a couple of feet of Walder and instead of going for him (his balls), she grabbed that poor bargaining chip of a girl. I understand that the producers went for the shock treatment above anything else nor could they deviate on the outcome (or could they? - man, that would've been another kind of shitstorm) so heroics were out of the question, but they could've handled that particular part a bit better imo.

Best thing about this episode, and this season, is that it's really going to shut up all the plebes who kept saying stuff like, "GoT is just trashy fun," or "It's not even remotely on the same level as Breaking Bad/The Wire/insert highly reviewed show."

Game of Thrones Season 4 is going to hit The Wire Season 4 heights.

Really? Game of Thrones is like the fourth best thing currently airing on Sundays. Comparing it to some of the all time greats like The Wire or Breaking Bad is absurd.

As someone who hasn't read the books, these have been my realizations as these three seasons have ended.

Season 1: Man, you really can't trust the Lannisters keep there word, can you? Lesson learned.

Season 2: Man, you really can't trust anyone to keep their word in this universe, can you? Lesson learned.

Season 3: Fuck it. Fuck it all. Everyone is out for themselves. No one gives a shit about anyone. Everyone's a backstabbing asshole, and if they haven't stabbed anyone in the back yet, then they're just biding their time until they can.

I'm half expecting Daenerys' dragons to eat her at this point, and then each other.
Lannister's always pay their debts

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I hope my sarcasm detector isn't failing me right now because...you can't be serious?
Sorry, I was being sarcastic. lol

The Red Wedding was, for me anyway, the greatest and campiest piece of drama that I've seen in a while and saved this season for me.

Really? Game of Thrones is like the fourth best thing currently airing on Sundays. Comparing it to some of the all time greats like The Wire or Breaking Bad is absurd.

I love The Wire and Breaking Bad, but pretending they haven't had plot contrivances or weak episodes every now and then is also absurd.

Season 5 of The Wire was a pretty big let down.

Breaking Bad has plenty of dumb moments, and some sections where things slow down a little too much.

Deadwood, Carnivale, The Shield, Breaking Bad, The Wire.... probably my favourite shows of all time, but all of them have issues if you break it down. I can definitely see someone putting GoT in their top of all time, even if it's merely a "good" show for me.

This passage and the speech by Manderly shows that the people who say that the theme of the series is that honor and decency is stupid and treachery and ruthlessness is practical and great are wrong. Treachery and ruthlessness works great in the short term, but in the long run it's a victory build on sand and collapses easily, whereas honor and decency may fail in the short term, but it's roots are deep and enduring. Ned, long after he's dead, still have men who are willing to die for the chance to rescue his daughter to honor his memory. Who was there to save Cersei for Tywin memory? Not a single person.

Vyrance

I'd say calling it the 4th best thing on Sundays is more ridiculous than comparing it to the Wire (or Breaking Bad, even though it's not The Wire level)

These kinds of threads need to end.

Not the first time I've been spoiled by shit like this. The Portal 2 OT title spoiled the ending as well.

Just reread the vision ACOK
Dany had of the Red Wedding in the house of the Undying in book two. It was my favorite moment of the book, and I only just now realized what it was foreshadowing... Chills down my spine.

Farther on she came upon a feast of corpses. Savagely slaughtered, the feasters lay
strewn across overturned chairs and hacked trestle tables, asprawl in pools of congealing
blood. Some had lost limbs, even heads. Severed hands clutched bloody cups, wooden
spoons, roast fowl, heels of bread. In a throne above them sat a dead man with the head of a
wolf. He wore an iron crown and held a leg of lamb in one hand as a king might hold a
scepter, and his eyes followed Dany with mute appeal.

daniels

I love The Wire and Breaking Bad, but pretending they haven't had plot contrivances or weak episodes every now and then is also absurd.

Season 5 of The Wire was a pretty big let down.

Breaking Bad has plenty of dumb moments, and some sections where things slow down a little too much.

Deadwood, Carnivale, The Shield, Breaking Bad, The Wire.... probably my favourite shows of all time, but all of them have issues if you break it down. I can definitely see someone putting GoT in their top of all time, even if it's merely a "good" show for me.

Hey :mad: who doesn't like the Breaking Bad episode with the fly in the lab, or getting strandet in a desert or gustavos spider sense. lol

Hey :mad: who doesn't like the Breaking Bad episode with the fly in the lab, or getting strandet in a desert or gustavos spider sense. lol

Hey, I love the Fly. Gustavo as Terminator? Killer twins that walk away from explosions nonchalantly? Not so much.

This passage and the speech by Manderly shows that the people who say that the theme of the series is that honor and decency is stupid and treachery and ruthlessness is practical and great are wrong. Treachery and ruthlessness works great in the short term, but in the long run it's a victory build on sand and collapses easily, whereas honor and decency may fail in the short term, but it's roots are deep and enduring. Ned, long after he's dead, still have men who are willing to die for the chance to rescue his daughter to honor his memory. Who was there to save Cersei for Tywin memory? Not a single person.

Great post.

I feel like the way book readers are talking about this event means that there is nothing comparable to it coming up in the rest of the books, i hope i'm wrong and there's still plenty more equally shocking moments to come. I don't even want to know if i'm right or wrong.

Lolz at the people who think I'm joking. Season 4 of Game of Thrones will be the back half of A Storm of Swords, which, IMO, is the greatest ~400 pages of fantasy ever written.

If the creators even come CLOSE to doing it justice, it'll easily take its place among the pantheon of greatest seasons ever.

For my money, the best individual seasons of any non comedy ever would include:

The Wire Seasons 3-4
The Shield Seasons 5, 6 and 7
Six Feet Under Seasons 1 and 2
Twin Peaks Season 1
Breaking Bad Season 4 (possibly 5; we'll see this summer)

Second-tier seasons would include:
Breaking Bad Season 2
Six Feet Under Season 5
The Wire Season 2

Note: these lists are not all-inclusive.

Game of Thrones Season 1 was already up there with any of the second-tier seasons I listed. Season 2 admittedly wasn't, but I'd say Season 3 easily has been.

If Season 4 does justice to the source material, it will join that first tier I listed. You people don't even know what you're in for.

juicyb

They could have staged their deaths so much better. I was really disappointed with the final shot of the episode not being more emotionally impactful. Just Cat standing there and some dude just slits her throat. REALLY wish it was handled more tastefully with different camera angles or direction. Oh well.

rakhir

They could have staged their deaths so much better. I was really disappointed with the final shot of the episode not being more emotionally impactful. Just Cat standing there and some dude just slits her throat. REALLY wish it was handled more tastefully with different camera angles or direction. Oh well.

I thought it was really well done: we are with Catelyn to the end, we zoom on her face when she screams, see her despair and suffering. That's more emotionally draining then a cold wide shot of the whole room filled with unrecognizable corpses.
And then her suffering ends and we cut to black.

Nocebo

I was pretty happy with the result of this episode to be honest. Never really liked Robb or Catelyn.
It felt like they were parading around like hot shit thinking people owed them favors based on their old name or whatever without really proving their worth. What have you done for me lately, Stark house?
And Robb coming up to Walder Frey thinking a few words and some guy marrying one of his daughters would make amends for him shitting on the Frey house.

I think it's great that Robb died, not in valiant battle but from being out played in the game of thrones.

Jyester

The only thing that worries me is that the show will leave with me with too little likable characters. Jamie is still a dick regardless of his sudden change into a person capable of emotion, Brianne is okay but not too interesting, Arya is small, and John Snö is dicking around all over the place. Tyrion is cool. Although I understand complaints regarding Robb's bad decisions, he was winning battles and some of his choices made him more human and interesting to watch.

We all learned that the Starks are too nice for this world, but jamming it down the viewer's throat time and time again because the Lannister's supposedly threw some gold in the direction of the Frey's felt a little cheap, no matter how well-done and gripping the execution (!) itself was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom