• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones: Spoiler reaction to Season 3 - Episode NINE!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nocebo

We all learned that the Starks are too nice for this world, but jamming it down the viewer's throat time and time again because the Lannister's supposedly threw some gold in the direction of the Frey's felt a little cheap, no matter how well-done and gripping the execution (!) itself was.
I doubt it was because of a bit of gold. I mean the Lannister's sit on the throne don't you know? What leverage did Robb have?

Prine

Banned
Im probably going to stop watching this show unless someone lets me know Starks get some form of redemption. If the The Red Wedding serves as a turning point to enable the rest of the Starks to rise only then will i be able to look upon this episode as an amazing piece of drama. But if this is to torture viewers for some sadistic reason then its no point watching he rest, as i know nobel men/woman will fall too.

Does anyone know if Starks have a major role to play still?

THRILLH0

Banned
Its pretty funny when people say that GoT isn't anywhere near Breaking Bad or The Wire in order to flaunt their refined taste without realising that comparing BB to The Wire is laughable itself.

Yobalt

Im probably going to stop watching this show unless someone lets me know Starks get some form of redemption. If the The Red Wedding serves as a turning point to enable the rest of the Starks to rise only then will i be able to look upon this episode as an amazing piece of drama. But if this is to torture viewers for some sadistic reason then its no point watching he rest, as i know nobel men/woman will fall too.

Starks will continue to play an important role.

Replicant

So I made this thing...I am just sad that I think this is the only place I can post it lol

lPTwl0B.gif

PERFECTION/10

Nocebo

You know the show is called a game of thrones and not "THE STARKS" right?

Munin

You know the show is called a game of thrones and not "THE STARKS" right?

The Starks are characterized more ambiguously in the book, but in the show they are pretty much the good guys. I guess that does make some viewers upset.

I've read the book so I knew it was coming. It played out pretty well. I like that they didn't throw in another curve like in the book (
Robb's mother-in-law being involved in the plot
. The show doesn't need all those characters Martin has in his books.

Radec

okay, what's with this The North Remembers?

I googled it and it's just first episode of the second season.

Fjordson

okay, what's with this The North Remembers?

I googled it and it's just first episode of the second season.
I'm not sure what that particular promo is referring to, but as a book reader, I'll tell anyone who likes the Starks to stick with the series. Trust me.

Damn it, why did I enter this thread.

Too many implications that might as well just be full out spoilers without the tag.

Might as well give my impressions though...

FUCK YOU MARTIN!

Back to the no spoiler thread I go.

Fisico

Was Dacey Mormont in the episode at all?

No, there was absolutely not a single soldier of Stark army which has his/her character in the tv series except for Karstark and Bolton.

and she may also be prego. However she wasn't killed (she didn't attend the wedding) and may or may not have aborted the baby.

No.
It is said many times in the books that Robb and his wife were trying but weren't able to, and it is also said that the step mother of Robb was making her daughter drink some shit so that she would NEVER be pregnant

Well, I just disagree with people saying "If you were in it for the Starks, carry on!". The books stopped being about the Starks right around this point.
Sansa is no longer Sansa, Arya is no longer Arya and Jon Snow is no longer Jon Snow. Stoneheart is no longer even human. The books, from here on, were all about Brienne and Jaime (AFFC) and Tyrion (ADWD) for me.
This is the end of the Stark trilogy imo. The next book is an interlude, and the last three will be the
Targaryen trilogy
it seems.

Cromat

Short analysis of the series. Better for book readers.

A major theme of the series is that people who are 'right' for the Westeros middle-ages society, meaning the honorable lords, beautiful ladies and brave knights are generally either corrupt and immoral (the Lannisters) or naive to the point of uselessness (the Starks).

It is only the inadequate that are of high quality - the bastard, the tomboy, the dwarf, the poor and helpless 'Beggar Queen', the eunuch. For a character to transform from the first category to the latter it has to become imperfect - see Jaime's hand.

Acidote

I wish I knew how to gif, maybe someone can make it:

We need a gif of Phil Harrison (Roose Bolton) stabbing Don Mattrick (Robb).

"Sony sends their regards."

Fjordson

spoilers.
I totally disagree.

Spoilers for the first five books, do not click
Arya changed sure, but her story has been fascinating and she's still technically a Stark. Sansa the same, though her story was much slower, it's starting to pick up at this point in the series. And then of course Bran in the North. I loved all of his chapters in ADWD.

Cat as Stoneheart is the one I'll agree with. That whole situation is sort of...I don't know, sort of a weird plot move from Martin, but I'm still totally invested in Arya, Sansa and Bran.

Everything change's a metric ton, can't deny that, but I don't at all consider the Starks to be totally obliterated.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
2 days later.... and I'm still shocked and saddened. I hope there's a Lannister(except for Tyrion) and a Frey massacre :mad:

So far the Lannisters are the only ones who have gotten away without any significant losses(Jaime lost his hand boo hoo) so, IMO, it's due.

ymmv

Banned

You forgot about:

Jon Snow
Arya Stark
Sansha Stark
Bran Stark ?

All of them have major roles to play in the books.

The Starks are lousy at playing this game. Ned's honor was his downfall and Robb's inability to take anyone's advice was his. How many times was Robb told that he was making a mistake and he'd have to pay for it? And how many times did he continue to shrug off that advice? He was going to do whatever he wanted to do and whenever he wanted to do it and now he paid the price.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Definitely a shocking moment. I'm surprised to see people were so attached to Rob Stark. IMO Rob and his crippled little brother have been painfully boring in this show. Now we can spend more time focusing on the characters who are interesting, the Lannisters.

I couldn't sleep last night. I actually couldn't sleep. It was the most disturbingly brilliant piece of television I've ever seen. I think it surpasses The Shield (you know the scene)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The Starks are lousy at playing this game. Ned's honor was his downfall and Robb's inability to take anyone's advice was his. How many times was Robb told that he was making a mistake and he'd have to pay for it? And how many times did he continue to shrug off that advice? He was going to do whatever he wanted to do and whenever he wanted to do it and now he paid the price.

Its more complex than that.

Also I sort of hate that running trend in the books and the show of fans calling characters stupid or foolish for decisions fans have access to the whole picture on and for not being genre savvy chessmasters all the time. It would be boring if people didnt fuck up or werent getting fucked over. The story would fail to be grounded or realistic at that point. Its like hindsight bias for fiction.

Fisico

You forgot about:

Jon Snow
Arya Stark
Sansha Stark
Bran Stark ?

All of them have major roles to play in the books.

And you forgot about Rickkon

And don't tell me he has SPOILER BOOKs
no major role to play in the book, he is THE successor of Winterfell, with Robb dead, Jon still a bastard and Bran who will probably never go back south of the wall

iMerc

just watched it. fuck.

i don't care about spoilers. someone please tell me that the freys get what's comming to them.

NekoFever

Pretty sure that's the final shot. Would be very powerful.
I doubt that's going to be in this season since this is only half the book and that's the epilogue.

Then again, they haven't exactly left much for
___Arya___
to do from ASOS, so they're either going to start bringing in stuff from later books or be forced to leave that character out for much of next season. Might make it more interesting for readers if they stop sticking so rigidly to the structure of the books.

Lothar

Banned
just watched it. fuck.

i don't care about spoilers. someone please tell me that the freys get what's comming to them.

Book Spoilers up to book 5 concerning the Freys

All the Freys do is die from here on out. One northern lord (who lost a son at the RW) cooks a few Freys and makes pies out of them, then serves them to the Boltons at a feast.

Orlandu84

Short analysis of the series. Better for book readers.

A major theme of the series is that people who are 'right' for the Westeros middle-ages society, meaning the honorable lords, beautiful ladies and brave knights are generally either corrupt and immoral (the Lannisters) or naive to the point of uselessness (the Starks).

It is only the inadequate that are of high quality - the bastard, the tomboy, the dwarf, the poor and helpless 'Beggar Queen', the eunuch. For a character to transform from the first category to the latter it has to become imperfect - see Jaime's hand.

I more or less agree with the above. I think that Martin wants to show the limits of every contending moral system and character type. Accordingly, lots of very different people betray, kill, and fail in Game of Thrones. I always go back to the Littlefinger and Spider conversation as the rossetta stone for the series: chaos versus order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom