• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Over when MC dies in Persona is a terrible mechanic. Why is this still a thing?

jwhit28

I dunno, SMTIV has a reputation among the Megaten fanbase for being super easy...

It is and Persona can be as well, but you could still get rocked if you made one mistake and gave the enemies a round. I rather deal with Smirking than having the game over come down to a roll of the dice that they don't aim at the MC.

Double fang was doing 80 + two times and the second time you see the mini boss from the cathedral he can insta kill your entire party.

Was under the impression that DF can't target the same party member twice. Certainly didn't happen to me.

Either way, DF hitting twice wouldn't qualify as oneshotting. Just really shitty luck.

Venfayth

It does seem backwards though considering SMTIV could avoid that and still be tough while the main character is a god in combat.

I think the games are actually balanced quite differently. I don't mind the decision one way or the other as long as it's balanced appropriately. I don't think Persona 5 would be ruined if the MC could die in one hit, but I think it's fine. I sympathize with people who are frustrated when they lose - hell, I've been there - but I don't think it's a flaw in the game. It can just be a hard game sometimes. There's a reason "getting SMT'd" is a phrase - it's just something you accept when you play these games.

Skilletor

so...uh... maybe don't do that? Hard simply isn't about having a fair game experience.

Game isn't difficult so far until I got to this boss who can one shot my MC.

So, no, I won't play on a lower difficulty compromising my enjoyment of the rest of the game because of a mechanic I think is bullshit.

But good job with the elitism, lol.

I'll just grind out a few more levels so I don't have to use strategy.

Sheroking

sorry not every game spoils you with auto saves? I mean being able to keep multiple saves and the ability to save in most places isn't good enough for some people though. If you forget that's on the player.

The funny thing is auto-saving at the points where it makes sense takes nothing away from the game's difficulty, but doesn't overly punish you for forgetting to do something almost no game has required you to do for 15 years.

PaulloDEC

You shouldn't be losing significant amounts of progress in Persona 5 if you're actively saving in the save room. At best, you'd lose 15 to 25 minutes, and on every difficulty except the DLC one you can even restart from the last save room or restart a boss/miniboss...

Believe me, I've been running back to safe rooms wherever possible. As a result, I've only lost significant progress once or twice.

Being able to restart at bosses is an absolute godsend.

Why are you being so condescending?

I guess you haven't met Amirox before.

Sophia

Autosaving when entering a save room or entering a cafe, assuming it saves to it's own slot, would be fine.

Believe me, I've been running back to safe rooms wherever possible. As a result, I've only lost significant progress once or twice.

Being able to restart at bosses is an absolute godsend.

I've had some screwups, but they've all been entirely my fault. Getting careless and not getting the advantage, or thinking I could win a fight without using SP/weaknesses, and getting owned. I'm a paranoid saver tho, and keep multiple save files.

And yeah, the restart at bosses feature is really nice, given most boss battles will take more than one attempt anyhow unless the player has gone out of their way to amass Personas for every scenario.

Steroyd

You can change your strengths and weaknesses without wasting a turn, there's an item that auto revives your main character on death (Straw Doll?), you're practically Navi'd every time you're within ten miles of a save room, the game is balanced to take MC = death into account, the only dick move is the despair status ailment which can be prevented if you go into dungeons with batman levels prep time.

Apharmd

I can't get hard unless there's a risk of me losing an hour's worth of progress because I made a minor mistake.

This defines Persona for me.

Teddie only get it personal due MC lol

Without the MC there is no persona or powers to others party members.

MC has the God powers and everything happens because that.

Shadows existed before MC... the power to fight the shadows only existed because MC received the God powers.

Their Persona awakened because of MC, but that doesn't mean that they'd actually lose them just because the MC lost consciousness. That's extrapolating more than what the game actually told you. And that reasoning doesn't apply to the Phantom Thieves, anyway.

PK Gaming

It does seem backwards though considering SMTIV could avoid that and still be tough while the main character is a god in combat.

SMTIV's balance is notoriously bad, actually. It doesn't really avoid it past a certain point where your protagonist becomes way too strong.

SMT: Apocalypse was much better at avoiding it.

Game isn't difficult so far until I got to this boss who can one shot my MC.

So, no, I won't play on a lower difficulty compromising my enjoyment of the rest of the game because of a mechanic I think is bullshit.

But good job with the elitism, lol.

I'll just grind out a few more levels so I don't have to use strategy.

you do not know what elitism is.

Have fun playing however you wanna play, b.

Gods help you when enemies start spamming instant kill skills.

Are we even talking about the same game? You have to hit weaknesses in order to knock them down. You have to keep dudes out who are weak against the attack patterns the enemies use, or block. There are enemy packs who, for example, will attempt to enrage your whole team forcing them to attack into enemies who are resistant to or block physical damage.

Your apparent lack of awareness of how the game works makes it hard to take your criticisms seriously, from my point of view.
Thd game tells you what they are weak to. It's easy to keep them down and spam all out attack. The most strategy comes from sp management.

ethomaz

Banned
I don't have anything against MC death = Game Over in P5. I don't think this is a problem, and practically you don't usually lose much significant play time unless you are careless. But what I do think is a usability problem is the game's lack of autosave. This is a feature which is pretty much expected these days. I'm not saying it should autosave in every room, but rather, manual saving should be something you only need to do if you want to preserve a permanent save slot at a given point. There is no reason not to autosave at every possible point just for convenience. In dungeons, if the game autosaves every time you enter a safe room, I think that will mitigate a lot of "I lost 3 hours in the dungeon fuuuuuck" situations because some people don't have a habit of manually saving at every point, and honestly, there's no reason to punish them for it either. It's not some complicated gameplay mechanic you need to train people to do. Same with autosaving during story events and non-dungeon navigation. Sometimes people just need to stop playing and go do something else. Games are not the most important thing in the world and should cater to general lifestyles. It doesn't make it a lesser game, but one that's easier to enjoy for everyone.
After play P4 I will say autosave is not a good feature.

Due relationship and options I could hate if the game auto save (unless it is a different slot for each auto save).

I used to not save just to simulate which relationships I will reach in days in the future... to back and to again everything the way I like.

I had to restart the game after 30 hours because I didn't reach the relationships I wanted due a bad manual save... even using old saves it was already screwed up.

Unless the autosave uses different slots each time I don't support it.

Manual saves is a key tool to play Persona games.

duckroll

I could see auto save putting people in some unwinnable places. I'm sure there'd be tons of people that only use auto save, and never do any manual ones. It might be why they avoid it altogether.

How can it put you in unwinnable places? Any time you can save in a dungeon, you can leave the dungeon.

After play P4 I will say autosave is not a good feature.

Due relationship and options I could hate if the game auto save (unless it is a different slot for each auto save).

I used to not save just to simulate which relationships I will reach in days in the future... to back and to again everything the way I like.

I had to restart the game after 30 hours because I didn't reach the relationships I wanted due a bad manual save... even using old saves it was already screwed up.

Unless the autosave uses different slots each time I don't support it.

I don't understand. No one is forcing you to use the autosave slot exclusively. Why would that be a bad thing?

Funny topic because I literally just ran into a fight not 10 minutes ago and got insta-bodied from a Mudo.

It's frustrating as all hell but save every safe room and it's not usually an issue. I usually feel like the game is balanced way in my favor, it's gotta bite back sometime. I still get Marin Karin nightmares from P3.

The funny thing is auto-saving at the points where it makes sense takes nothing away from the game's difficulty, but doesn't overly punish you for forgetting to do something almost no game has required you to do for 15 years.
Sure auto saving would be easier but entering save rooms practically do everything but actually tell the player to save the game. How do people forget to save? Does Mona have to tell the player to save too?

Aeana

The mechanic is what it is. I don't see a problem with preferring it not to be in the game, but I don't think one can argue that there's "no way to defend against it" considering every single party member confidant gets a skill that allows them to take a fatal blow for you, and you can block against instant death attacks not only with specific personas but also with item buffs. You do have quite a toolbox here.

Amir0x

Banned
Why are you being so condescending?

It's one thing to come at a criticism with the idea that there is some fundamental issue with it.

"I don't like it because for me losing progress sucks, and I'd rather it not be there."

Rather than pulling some nonsense out of the back pocket and trying to make it some hard fast game development rule that everyone must adhere to, like they have been.

No, all games DON'T have autosave mechanics. Yes, many developers consciously do not put use it in service of their game systems and gameplay. Yes, many gamers love them. Yes, there are entire genres that avoid it for one reason or another. There are games for example where preparation is key (Persona is part of them, but hardly one of the more punishing ones) and as a result you know before entering a dungeon that you won't be able to save again until you exit. And that's the point. And it's an awesome mechanic for tons of people!

Persona 5 isn't even a particularly punishing game. And it's already sacrificed a lot over the years in service of making the game more accessible to people who never were even a part of this franchise for years and never cared for it. It doesn't need to go further.

Mohasus

Lots of hot shots in here not grasping that the complaint isn't that only the hardcore skills of Pro Gamers like yourselves could survive Persona.

I play on easy so I don't have to deal with this.

I don't want to lose time fusing personas or grinding. I just want to see the story.

Thd game tells you what they are weak to. It's easy to keep them down and spam all out attack. The most strategy comes from sp management.

Even then, after a certain point, it becomes a non-issue ( when you reach a certain level with a certain confidant ).

The games actually ridiculously easy especially in comparison to Persona 3 or any of the mainline SMT titles. It's basically a slight notch above P4G in difficulty. That said, the game does need auto save after every day at least.

Tbf your second post came in close approx to my answer so I didn't see your more detailed explanation after.

Other than that, as I said, I like risk, but don't see how burdening all that risk on the MC instead of your entire party enhances the game in a significant way. There is the ability to swap your Persona at will with your MC, granted, but then I would prefer to have that ability for all my team mates with a accordinly balanced combat in regards to enemy strength.
I don't think the identity of Persona hinges on this change-up in relation to SMT, which is why I found the combat system in that regard a bit weird.

It has to hinge on the MC because otherwise someone in your party will inevitably null the enemies attacks. This basically removes all the tension in the game and turns it into completely mindless grinding rather than the completely slightly mindful grinding we all love.

It is fine not to like it, but the whole "there is no reason it is in there... oh that is the reason well I don't like the reason, elitism" argument is nonsense. It serves a specific purpose and it delivers on it really well.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's actually fine, as it adds additional challenge to the game and forces you to be especially more careful and creative in how you handle and manage the MC's Persona skill sets.

It's not "terrible" at all.

Zukkoyaki

I absolutely adore Persona 3 and 4 (haven't gotten to 5 yet) and I totally agree with you, op. I understand why the design choice was made but that doesn't make it good. Just like no pause in the Souls games even when you're playing offline.

With that said I don't hate it either. But I'd be lying if I said it's never extremely frustrating either.

Venfayth

That's a super important part of the game. It's why you can't just use your most powerful spells every single turn - you have to last for the dungeon. It's part of the game (and battle) design.

edit: And no the game does not tell you what they're weak to - you have to discover it first through trial and error.

The mechanic is what it is. I don't see a problem with preferring it not to be in the game, but I don't think one can argue that there's "no way to defend against it" considering every single party member confidant gets a skill that allows them to take a fatal blow for you, and you can block against instant death attacks not only with specific personas but also with item buffs. You do have quite a toolbox here.

Oh yea, I forgot about the confidant abilities.

I think you can get those abilities before enemies with insta-kill even show up too.

Atlantis

That's a super important part of the game. It's why you can't just use your most powerful spells every single turn - you have to last for the dungeon. It's part of the game (and battle) design.

Persona 4 trained me to do this but then I realized Takemi sold Invig 1/2/3 accessories.

God bless.

Oh yea, I forgot about the confidant abilities.

I think you can get those abilities before enemies with insta-kill even show up too.

Onmoraki in the second palace spams Mudo like a mad....onion(?).

You know what? This is actually my favourite mechanic in Persona games--they make it work. In combat, it adds a lot of tension, giving the Protagonist this heightened importance over the other party members, meaning they need to be twice as safe as anyone else, always protected. It adds this aspect of risk vs. reward in situations where you need a persona that has an easily exploited weakness, vs. a weaker one that's much more resilient. It gives some personas utility far beyond their level.

If you can just restart with no penalty it becomes busywork, however. A literal roll of the dice until you're the favoured one. (Although I totally appreciate P4G's restart-at-boss convenience. Not sure if P5 does that.)

Also, I recently beat Persona 3 Portable and
extreme ending spoilers for Persona 3 Portable
[
this mechanic ties together with everything else in the ending. Throughout the game, the Protagonist alone has had the strength to resist any attack via switching personas. In the end, maxed Social Links--true, unbreakable bonds with others--are the strength the Protagonist needs to overcome an enemy that literally cannot be defeated; these bonds give them the strength to resist everything. Mechanically, this means that the protaognist resists every fatal attack until they can win. It's this beautiful unification of game mechanics and the story, and after dozens of hours in the game world, it is this incredibly touching moment that few other games have ever even come close to. I absolutely love it.
]
Persona's battle system is weird because it stacks the fucking deck in your favor at least for the first turn

Then you get fucking bodied

That's only if you get an ambush on the enemy. If they get one on you it can be over in a single turn, Protagonist dying or not.

barybll

Banned
Genuinely Never had an issue with it
Yeah my MC gets sniped from time to time but thats why I save a lot

Also, not sucking also helps

E-flux

Personally, i find 99%of the encounters to easy because the enemy ai just throw random shit out. Most battles require little strategy because the enemies dont seem to use tactics or combos. When I do die, it's usually because of rng or the game's poor controls and camera.

That is actually true, it's one of my gripes with the game how difficulty is handled, in earlier games the enemy would pinpoint to your weaknesses like hawks, fire emblem style and get as many kills as possible, but in this one they might exploit an weakness and then throw a meaningless buff. Not sure if difficulty changes the AI at all, but i didn't want to risk the game being too hard since hard mode in earlier games hard mode was too hard for me. Though i don't agree with what you said about controls.

Venfayth

Persona 4 trained me to do this but then I realized Takemi sold Invig 1/2/3 accessories.

God bless.

I kept the low level elemental spells as long as I could because at a certain point they only slow your SP loss if you're using -dyne spells each turn.

Jeffrey

I assume those are at the top of the confidant levels like in the past games? I'm 30 hours in the game and not seen any of that yet.

Ive not seen any 'save you from a death' items yet. Are those sold somewhere?

Lots of elitism here.

Same could be said about people wanting to redesign parts of the game even though it's not broken and it's something you have to learn. If you find the game hard then play on an easier difficulty.

That's why it's there.

Not even saying it's good or bad. As others have pointed out mainline SMT games have gotten away from it to but, Atlus at this point doesn't even call Persona a SMT spinoff anymore on the box.

Or you could just save when you come across a safe room. They're literally marked with a big green S on the map. How hard is it to remember to save every time you find one? Especially if it's happened to you before?

Korigama

I dunno, SMTIV has a reputation among the Megaten fanbase for being super easy...
It does get pretty easy (having started off fairly punishing, but far more manageable after Naraku). The story DLC was much harder. Will echo that IV:A has seemed better in respect to overall balance from what I've played of it.

Neoweee

I think it is a terrible mechanic, and the SMT series has slowly gotten away from it with time. The Persona team is still a bit lagging compared to the other development teams with regards to this (and to a lesser extent, Demon fusion mechanics). A bunch of the Search/Compendium systems from the DS/3DS games should have been in Persona, but aren't.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Come on...you can't fault this game for having a save system like it does.

God bless.

Onmoraki in the second palace spams Mudo like a mad....onion(?).

Oh, never encountered it. I got lucky I guess. I only mentioned that because I think Ryuji gets the skill at rank 5 or 6 which seems fairly early to me.

Atlantis

I assume those are at the top of the confidant levels like in the past games? I'm 30 hours in the game and not seen any of that yet.

Ive not seen any 'save you from a death' items yet. Are those sold somewhere?

IIRC in Persona 4 the "save MC from death" bonus was the reward for just establishing the link.

They've moved it to rank 9 here.

Top Bottom