• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GameBlog Rumor] - Developers disclosing problems with Xbox One drivers [Updated]

Simple remedy to this....is to wait for reviews on third-party / multi-plat games. Honest reviews, by honest people. See how the two compare. I'm sure for the more "honest" reviewers, they would catch wind of what "could" possibly be happening, and will point it out if need be.

The boat said the SDK performance has dropped 15-20% but it would come back up before launch

Wait, so if that's what he said, why the bumsex would this driver issue cause developers to be gimping games?

Infact, why would it take driver issues or ANY type of issue for developers to gimp games?

We already know they've been doing it one way or the other for this entire generation of consoles and it blatantly spills over into PC gaming with terrible ports.

Unless developers are given ONE console that MS and Sony can just re-brand, they are going to make sure the experience is similar as possible across all platforms because they make more money that way. (do you even have to ask if pubs/devs like to maximise profits?)

Have we all forgotten this?

Have we forgotten this narrative that's been going on this entire gen?

Any dev team that will purposely gimp games under the umbrella of "parity" won't see a single dime from me. If the integrity of a company is up for sale, then i truly hope they crash and burn. Has there ever been a game where it was proven to be gimped because of political reasons ? That is just, i mean, it's just hard to believe ?!

The only way we'll know if versions are being gimped is if there are whistle blowers coming out and telling us. Other than that it'll be business as usual. I seriously can not put into words how much this pisses me off.

Orca

Microsoft has done those things far more than any other company. Sony continues to expand their studios and even bought Media Molecule and Sucker Punch last generation. Microsoft bought Rare and neutered them. Rare isn't even allowed to work on their new IPs it seems. They're a negative influence on the industry.

Microsoft started up a number of new studios as well. Sony shut down some studios - Liverpool and Zipper off the top of my head. This 'only if X does it, it's bad' stuff would be laughable if it wasn't turning GAF into a shithole.

I don't think review units means anything. Any site, covering a topic, as long as it can generate traffic could get a review unit. MS will want first hand reviews in the hands as many reviewers as possible.

I work in the advertising industry (not gaming related, mostly autos and pharma) and our clients regularly have reviews for products on pretty much any site that can get a review out to as many people as possible. If they have the Reach, they can more than likely get a review console. It really isn't indicative of anything.

Of course my point was not that it was good quality journalism but that it is likely professional journalism

Perhaps it is nothing then but I don't know

There are few publications besides perhaps Giantbomb that Gaf trusts implicitly

Some distrust EDGE, some eurogamer, pretty much no one trusts IGN and Kotaku is good for random Japanese news

I know gameblog (I'm French) they're familiar with making those kind of news... Everything is (probably) fake. They always pretend they have "their sources" but it's always a copy/past (translated) from a foreigner article (here this one: http://www.edge-online.com/news/pow...es-between-ps4-and-xbox-one-performance/#null) pretending it's from "their sources"...

They are full of shit, don't give any credit to those guys, honestly.

Also they don't have an Xbox One, the X1 on this article http://www.gameblog.fr/news/38501-la-xbox-one-est-arrivee-chez-gameblog-les-photos is a fake, they even admit it "il s'agit pour le moment d'un mock up. Impossible donc de l'allumer" which means "for now it's just a mock up. So it's impossible to turn it on".

Gameblog being gameblog, copying other websites, days/weeks after, pretending it's from their sources... Pathetic. :/

I've quoted your post in the OP as it seems to be the prevailing opinion on the site

Plenty have, some from France have even mentioned the site is considered a joke, and compared it to a tabloid, but all that gets ignored.

Some of the founders at Gameblog are from the most respected video game magazine in France (Joystick).

The controversy of Gameblog comes from one of the journalist who was working for Square Enix while reviewing their games. It's like a Doritos gate or some other random IGN/Gamespot scandals, but this is a professional website and very popular here. They certainly have a lot of sources in the industry since they got a lot of behind the scene coverage at famous studios in the past years (Polyphony, Naughty Dog, etc...)

It's no way a tabloid or a joke site.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gameblog.fr

I don't think review units means anything. Any site, covering a topic, as long as it can generate traffic could get a review unit. MS will want first hand reviews in the hands as many reviewers as possible.

I work in the advertising industry (not gaming related, mostly autos and pharma) and our clients regularly have reviews for products on pretty much any site that can get a review out to as many people as possible. If they have the Reach, they can more than likely get a review console. It really isn't indicative of anything.

I think Microsoft let them do a size comparison/hands on like other sites have in the past. They didn't get to keep the system.

I know gameblog (I'm French) they're familiar with making those kind of news... Everything is (probably) fake. They always pretend they have "their sources" but it's always a copy/past (translated) from a foreigner article (here this one: http://www.edge-online.com/news/pow...es-between-ps4-and-xbox-one-performance/#null) pretending it's from "their sources"...

Also they don't have an Xbox One, the X1 on this article http://www.gameblog.fr/news/38501-la-xbox-one-est-arrivee-chez-gameblog-les-photos is a fake, they even admit it "il s'agit pour le moment d'un mock up. Impossible donc de l'allumer" which means "for now it's just a mock up. So it's impossible to turn it on".

Gameblog being gameblog, copying other websites, days/weeks after, pretending it's from their sources... Pathetic. :/

Yup, that's Gameblog. I don't think they should ever be considered as an independent source to confirm rumors. They tend to embellish them with raw speculation, and bam, you've got a hit.

Some of the founders at Gameblog are from the most respected video game magazine in France (Joystick).

The controversy of Gameblog comes from one of the journalist who was working for Square Enix while reviewing their games. It's like a Doritos gate or some other random IGN/Gamespot scandals, but this is a professional website and very popular here. They certainly have a lot of sources in the industry since they got a lot of behind the scene coverage at famous studios in the past years (Polyphony, Naughty Dog, etc...)

It's no way a tabloid or a joke site.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gameblog.fr

I have no idea what to think of gameblog then

It probably is just aiming for hits though

Chobel

Angry mode off.

Rembrandt

Banned
First of all, the Vita was fairly priced from the get go. Plenty of people on GAF thought it would be a hundred dollars more than what it launched as because of the hardware.

Secondly, Microsoft has abandoned development two times. They did it with the Xbox and the 360. This is indisputable and anyone that has taken note has been aware of this for some time. They hopped aboard the Kinect train and since that device launched they have been putting out very few quality titles whereas as the PS3 had The Last of Us, God of War, Gran Turismo, and Beyond all launch this year. Among other games.

I was talking about the accessories, like you were. I doubt anyone on earth was thinking the memory card prices were fair or thought that Sony using a proprietary memory card was a smart idea. How have they abandoned development for the 360? It's still getting third party ports and exclusives. This late in the generation and we're still bringing up the common knowledge that Sony focuses more on first party titles? I'll go out on a limb and say that it's great, but the majority of them aren't anything special, especially with the competitors making equally great products (besides for Naughty Dog/Quantic Dream who are top-notch devs).

but look at Sony's new focus on indie games. You can thank Microsoft for that. Sony pushing online more than every before. You can thank Microsoft for that. Killzone. You can think Microsoft for that. if we're going to talk about timed exclusives, let's bring up the one everyone seems to forget: GTA was a timed exclusive on the PS2 last gen which is by far more in tune with a monopoly than paying for exclusive DLC or shit that people on the internet love to get upset about.

These are companies. They all want your money and nothing more.

cormack12

Gold Member
When did The boat, say all this? I missed that part. Searched all over for it. I'll look again though.

truthfact1+
no live strm for real easons. xbone arcitectu re stil not fuly complet. laterst verson of SDK coupl of weeks ago edropeed d performeance by 15--20% acros teg board. NOW B4 YO^USG ET MAD AT ME XBOTTLES this hapens AL THE TIEM in tconsel dvelopmetn and ist wll evetnaly be fix but nochance for erly oct orelaese or...

Original topic: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=654903

is that what Penello meant when he said that MS won't give Sony 50% advantage?

VQLGJOL.gif

Anonumos

Banned
Surprise surprise, thread is based on shakey information. There was a time GAF would tear this shit up for having nothing substantial by page 2.

i-Lo

If untrue,
then good news;
else,
at least PS owners will not be getting the worse console port ever again;
else,
Sony first party save us.

Which is really late in the day. Probably too late to improve performance on the games significantly and force a post launch patch.

Well before launch could be at any time before launch since he didn't give any specific timeline. That was from his pre-gamescom thread btw. We'll just have to wait and see.

It's not about offending MS. It's about not pissing off people who only own XB1. Let's say there's a situation in which media reports that for example, Watch Dogs is notably better on PS4, and XB1 version is missing effects or has framerate problems or lower resolution, and reviews report that. Now, people who only own XB1 are going to say "well, if this version sucks, and they didn't bother spending time to make it work/look better, I'm just going to buy some other game". This mentality is what publishers worry about, and no amount of explaining that spending more time wouldn't make any difference, is going to help.

I think this has happened a lot with PS3 last gen, and publishers took note of it.

A very tiny minority of people are ever aware of the differences between these versions.

derfybzh

Gameblog is a shiity french site that goes for the click, half of their news are copy paste from Neogaf. Don't bother with them .............

Kysen

Too many people jumping to conclusions at every hint of bad news from XB1. I'm a sony fan but even I can see its already too much. November is really going to be something else when the truth comes out.

legacyzero

Banned
Forced parity would REALLY piss me off. No sense in holding back a PS4 version because the Xbone is potentially a weaker machine.

Gameblog are constantly bullied in France, since the Square Enix episode, and i don't know if this particular article is true or false. Im just saying it's not a joke site (at all).
They even had a show on french TV sometimes ago.

It's like saying IGN or Gamespot can't be trusted. Maybe they can't be trusted overhaul, but who would discount them totally if they made the same article ?..

Well I say forget them and even Edge article but when I hear @yosp saying 'not all devs are like that', it precisely means 'some of them are doing that'. I think that pretty much confirms there is some truth to this.

Pug

Too many people jumping to conclusions at every hint of bad news from XB1. I'm a sony fan but even I can see its already too much. November is really going to be something else when the truth comes out.

This, its happened in way too many Xbox one threads

Rembrandt

Banned
Gameblog are constantly bullied in France, since the Square Enix episode, and i don't know if this particular article is true or false. Im just saying it's not a joke site (at all).
They even had a show on french TV sometimes ago.

It's like saying IGN or Gamespot can't be trusted. Maybe they can't be trusted overhaul, but who would discount them totally if they made the same article ?..

Lots of people here hate on Kotaku because of their love of anonymous sources.

Lots of people here hate on Kotaku because of their love of anonymous sources.

I don't even know what to think anymore

Prevailing opinion is that it's click bait and nonfactual but if they are as big in france as IGN or gamespot or Kotaku I'm not so sure

I've added the prevailing opinion to the OP but I'm still not sure one way or the other

http://x-surface.tumblr.com/post/41282771026/x-surface-dont-believe-everything-you-read

I, like most other gamers, am sick of seeing endless rumours and speculation citing “anonymous sources” or “insiders” with no evidence, no proof, no guarantee that they’ve been fact-checked or can be relied on.

The games industry is the only one I can think of that will quite happily publish guesswork as news. So-called ‘analysts’ are no different - they make money by guessing. They’re about as much use as a ‘source’ as I am.

So let’s see how easy it is to be a ‘source’.

At 1:41am GMT today I sent out an email to a bunch of gaming sites claiming to be a Microsoft employee working on the new Xbox.

I made up every single word of it along with a couple of specs copied from other rumours that have been appearing on the Internet.

This was a bit of an experiment to see just how easy it is to get a fake story taken seriously. And it is shockingly easy in the games industry.

The outbox of my anonymous email account:

The full email:

By 9:58am GMT, it was already ‘in the news’.

Remember, remember.

This is why I hate anonymous sources.

Proelite

Xbone drivers not goose enough is good news, means hardware is more capable than what the games indicate.

Money hating for parity isn't in the tradition of the company.

Finalizer

A very tiny minority of people are ever aware of the differences between these versions.

For what it's worth, that overall minority is probably the majority of folks buying these systems at launch.

But given the edit in the OP, I'm sticking with devs not being influenced by MS in platform parity (or otherwise) - if any multiplats are the same, it'll likely be by choice of devs, not because of any underhanded tactics from MS.

Lynn616

Microsoft has done those things far more than any other company. Sony continues to expand their studios and even bought Media Molecule and Sucker Punch last generation. Microsoft bought Rare and neutered them. Rare isn't even allowed to work on their new IPs it seems. They're a negative influence on the industry.

Microsoft has opened a lot of studios over the last few years.

Rembrandt

Banned
I don't even know what to think anymore

Prevailing opinion is that it's click bait and nonfactual but if they are as big in france as IGN or gamespot or Kotaku I'm not so sure

I've added the prevailing opinion to the OP but I'm still not sure one way or the other

It does seem like they're piggybacking on the Edge article, but if they are that big, who knows. I'll probably wait for a more respected source before I get worried, though.

It does seem like they're piggybacking on the Edge article, but if they are that big, who knows. I'll probably wait for a more respected source before I get worried, though.

I'm not even sure what sources are to be respected anymore

I am literally down to Giantbomb at the moment

Everyone else seems to have published something bad at one time or another

Jabba

Banned
truthfact1+
no live strm for real easons. xbone arcitectu re stil not fuly complet. laterst verson of SDK coupl of weeks ago edropeed d performeance by 15--20% acros teg board. NOW B4 YO^USG ET MAD AT ME XBOTTLES this hapens AL THE TIEM in tconsel dvelopmetn and ist wll evetnaly be fix but nochance for erly oct orelaese or...

Thanks to all who helped me out here.

Niflheim

Neo Member
Gameblog: the french Kotaku.
That's all.
I don't give them any credit and you should do the same.

@ Petalpusher:

yeah sure...remember the Wii-hifi, the 1h23 autonomy of the Ps Vita and so on...

Piggus

Xbone drivers not goose enough is good news, means hardware is more capable than what the games indicate.

Money hating for parity isn't in the tradition of the company.

It really doesn't make any sense. Gimping PS4 games to appease Microsoft would just piss off Sony, who we pretty much know will have the better selling system for the time being unless MS makes major changes to their pricing model. If Microsoft wants parity maybe they shouldn't have built a system with such a crappy GPU. Paying devs for parity would be extremely scummy and desperate and I think there would be quite a bit of backlash if that ever got out.

Alchemist

It's not about offending MS. It's about not pissing off people who only own XB1. Let's say there's a situation in which media reports that for example, Watch Dogs is notably better on PS4, and XB1 version is missing effects or has framerate problems or lower resolution, and reviews report that. Now, people who only own XB1 are going to say "well, if this version sucks, and they didn't bother spending time to make it work/look better, I'm just going to buy some other game". This mentality is what publishers worry about, and no amount of explaining that spending more time wouldn't make any difference, is going to help.

The specs for both systems have been out for months. Xbox One supporters know what they're buying so "lesser" multiplats should be expected.

Lynn616

truthfact1+

So performance should increase 15-20% from what we see at launch. At least it is in software and can be fixed if true.

Top Bottom