• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GameBlog Rumor] - Developers disclosing problems with Xbox One drivers [Updated]

Sweep14

Hey people ! Don't worry !!!

At "Who you know" 's blog, You'll learn that the NDA has been reconducted for three months !

And that the X1 is in fact...the Radeon R9 280X VI with 4.5 TFLOPS !!! Insider Sierra Hotel guaranteed !!! ROFL

Developers think that the a big cause for the Xbox One not hitting 1080p 60 is a driver issue, not the result of the hardware itself? Call me an eternal optimist, but this is the most positive sounding negative xbox one news I've heard. :)

Driver issues will hopefully get sorted out.in due time.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Cross posting from another thread:
I still don't buy that "political issues" would cause them to downgrade the PS4 version. That would be a purposeful slight against Sony, as opposed to it just showing the natural deficiencies of the XBO hardware. Seems like that sound cause more of a political struggle than anything else. I wouldn't expect entirely new shaders to be written for the PS4 version but I could see things like resolution, AA changes, etc happening. Sony would get massively pissed in this case.

Oh okay, nvm then, I just read the rest of the OP. Seems they're full of it, or just piggybacking the Edge article? Oh well, moving on.

Codeblew

Oh this is good. Is this serious?
Yeah, why wouldn't it be? If a dev is trying to take advantage of PS4 hardware to its fullest, which AAA games should, then GPU utilization should be pretty damn high.

Even if this is true, Sony can't force devs to use at least some minimum percentage from PS4 hardware.

I am not saying they can. That wasn't the original question. The original question is how Sony could tell if a 3rd party game was potentially forced into parity between the consoles.

It really doesn't make any sense. Gimping PS4 games to appease Microsoft would just piss off Sony, who we pretty much know will have the better selling system for the time being unless MS makes major changes to their pricing model. If Microsoft wants parity maybe they shouldn't have built a system with such a crappy GPU. Paying devs for parity would be extremely scummy and desperate and I think there would be quite a bit of backlash if that ever got out.

Of course if parity happens (which i think will, to an extent) it really wouldnt matter. Fact is, that Sony's main parties will have the upper hand and have a huge gap between graphics in terms of MS first party studios. Im glad Sony has more, and imo, better first party studios.

Piggus

It's not about offending MS. It's about not pissing off people who only own XB1. Let's say there's a situation in which media reports that for example, Watch Dogs is notably better on PS4, and XB1 version is missing effects or has framerate problems or lower resolution, and reviews report that. Now, people who only own XB1 are going to say "well, if this version sucks, and they didn't bother spending time to make it work/look better, I'm just going to buy some other game". This mentality is what publishers worry about, and no amount of explaining that spending more time wouldn't make any difference, is going to help.

I think this has happened a lot with PS3 last gen, and publishers took note of it.

As opposed to pissing off Sony and PS4 owners who bought a more powerful system? I'm not sure why people think Microsoft and Xbone owners are the only ones capable of being upset by multiplayform differences. If a game is intentionally gimped on PS4 in an attempt to coddle those poor Xbox One owners, there's no fucking way I'm going to buy it and support such a shitty practice.

The PS3/360 situation was a lot different by the way. It had more to do with devs struggling to get to grips with the PS3 hardware. Taking advantage of PS3's strengths was generally reserved for the first party studios. It didn't make financial sense to rebuild the game engine from the ground up to take full advantage of the system the way games like GT5 and The Last of Us do. That's not the case this time.

Melchiah

A choice that could also affect the PS4 versions of these games. Indeed, to avoid offending a manufacturer, publishers may prefer to market identical versions. Technically.

Well, as a future PS4 owner that could affect my decision of buying these games, as I find it offending if they decide not to take advantage of the available hardware.

What would be crazy is if someone at Sony or a Sony fan maniac is propagating this to keep MS in the doghouse. Interesting times indeed

Could be but to be fair any article with anonymous sources in the gaming industry seems to be capable of that

Think maybe we should have a master list somewhere of each journalist sites greatest blunder

Crisco

Banned
Probably related to the ESRAM, and how it's utilization has to be manually managed by the game engine, rather than essentially being a transparent super fast cache for the GPU.

Devs don't wanna piss off Microsoft but piss off Sony instead? Makes no sense. I don't buy it.

I don't get how this would piss off Sony? Its the dev/pub whose reputation is on the line and they're the ones who end up being mocked for putting out a crappy version on a superior console. Sony is just allowing them to put their game on their platform, there's hundreds of games, Sony shouldn't have the time to scrutinize everything.
Sony should only be worried about their 1st party games, as long as those are blowing everything away they shouldn't need to be pissed at anyone.

iJudged

Banned
Well Hell, I am starting to not believe any of these so-called news! Ps4 more powerful, is that confirmed? Final ps/Xbox specs confirmed? Now when I think about it, what has been confirmed?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So regardless of whether or not this ends up true, no one should under any conditions post an article written in a language they don't understand, a secondary source citing that article unless they are sure of the translation's veracity, or google translated anything

Well Hell, I am starting to not believe any of these so-called news! Ps4 more powerful, is that confirmed? Final ps/Xbox specs confirmed? Now when I think about it, what has been confirmed?

New consoles will be coming out in November

There may or may not be some games available to play on them

Also they likely run on electricity although I haven't seen that officially confirmed either

So regardless of whether or not this ends up true, no one should under any conditions post an article written in a language they don't understand, a secondary source citing that article unless they are sure of the translation's veracity, or google translated anything

I apologize

It was my fault as I've stated

bebop242

Ugh any third party that cripples one version of a game over another for political reasons needs to die in a fire. Looking suspiciously at you EA.

iJudged

Banned
New consoles will be coming out in November

There may or may not be some games available to play on them

Also they likely run on electricity although I haven't seen that officially confirmed either

Spreading rumors again I see...

This shouldn't be a surprise considering the BS they spewed after their DRM reversal but people have seemed to forget. Therefore why should this come as a surprise? Is it far fetched to think they have been covering up and miss leading the product they are selling side day one?

Ebomb

Banned
Summary:

Prospective PS4 owners know they are buying a console with more power than the Xbox One. Any of MS custom silicon in the xbox one is dismissed as strictly for Kinect or dismissed as a lack of secret sauce to mitigate any of the power difference. Because of this power difference, PS4 multiplats must show graphical advantages or the game should be boycotted due to moneyhattin/lazydevs/misguideddevs/etc. However, that being said, launch titles cannot be used as a basis to compare hardware because they are cross gen, so although games may be boycotted, its still not indicative of future performance parity among multiplats.

Summary:

Prospective PS4 owners know they are buying a console with more power than the Xbox One. Any of MS custom silicon in the xbox one is dismissed as strictly for Kinect or dismissed as a lack of secret sauce to mitigate any of the power difference. Because of this power difference, PS4 multiplats must show graphical advantages or the game should be boycotted due to moneyhattin/lazydevs/misguideddevs/etc. However, that being said, launch titles cannot be used as a basis to compare hardware because they are cross gen, so although games may be boycotted, its still not indicative of future performance parity among multiplats.

Sounds like somebody needs to create a flowchart.

Proelite

Does that mean that if a cross-platform game has parity in the future, either the devs / MS have enforced that parity?

Gaf I think we have a replacement for "lazy devs" terminology.

To avoid that connotation developers should purposely make their Xbox One ports look worse than their PS4 ports.

Vana

Neo Member
Gameblog: the french Kotaku.
That's all.
I don't give them any credit and you should do the same.

@ Petalpusher:

yeah sure...remember the Wii-hifi, the 1h23 autonomy of the Ps Vita and so on...

Exactly. They are not always wrong, obviously, but they can't be trusted because the only thing that matter to them is how many click they get on their news, they really don't care about the quality of their information.

Does that mean that if a cross-platform game has parity in the future, either the devs / MS have enforced that parity?

To avoid that connotation developers should purposely make their Xbox One ports look worse than their PS4 ports.
same thing I said

The apocalypse begins begins on November 22nd.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I don't think anyone would care if they were at least 1080p/30fps on both systems but a lot of these make it sound like they'd be forcing sub-1080 on PS4 for no other reason than to hit parity between the versions. I still think this is all BS but that reality is far more frustrating.

Jack_AG

Banned
Not buying it. It would be too big of a shitstorm for straight parity and Devs will NEVER take full advantage of X1 or PS4 for multiplats so don't expect the PS4 to take a huge jump over the X1. Expect more from both systems via exclusives and that is where we will see the largest gap.

Chris R

or buy exclusively used as has also been suggested.

I don't buy games frequently enough or at such a high volume for this to be an issue. I'll just keep an eye out for DF breakdowns on games I care about and if it turns out to be an issue I'll just skip it and enjoy other games or my backlog.

Would there be any way to know if parity was being forced? Xbox could always just say "see, we told you the performance of the One was awesome". Secret sauce, ect. Also, I'm not a racing fan so I haven't followed much, but wasn't/isn't Sony struggling to hit 1080p x 60fps for Drive Club? How could anyone call out a third party for struggling with the same issues?

goonergaz

I can't see it happening because 1st party will completely make Devs look crap on PS4...it'll end up obvious.

Not only that but this gen the the PS4 will likely outsell XBO so does it really matter if the more popular machine has the better version? With any luck it'll make the user base gap bigger and mean Devs can concentrate on making PS4 games as good as they deserve to be...what with Sony making a machine based on their requests.

Hell, Devs should do even more for PS4 due to that alone.

srd4484

Banned
Would there be any way to know if parity was being forced? Xbox could always just say "see, we told you the performance of the One was awesome". Secret sauce, ect. Also, I'm not a racing fan so I haven't followed much, but wasn't/isn't Sony struggling to hit 1080p x 60fps for Drive Club? How could anyone call out a third party for struggling with the same issues?

Exactly. Both PS4 and XB1 games are struggling to hit 1080/60. Id ONLY question this if Sony's 1st party games were all 1080/60 and for some reason the 3rd parties were lesser. They're accusing MS of paying off these pubs to make games look shitty.

HEY GUYS. If you believe this, go check out Misterx Journal! You're starting to sound just like him.

Top Bottom