• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GameBlog Rumor] - Developers disclosing problems with Xbox One drivers [Updated]

inherendo

Exactly. Both PS4 and XB1 games are struggling to hit 1080/60. Id ONLY question this if Sony's 1st party games were all 1080/60 and for some reason the 3rd parties were lesser. They're accusing MS of paying off these pubs to make games look shitty.

HEY GUYS. If you believe this, go check out Misterx Journal! You're starting to sound just like him.

you have a similar name to a person on slickdeals, you him? haha

Skeff

Would there be any way to know if parity was being forced? Xbox could always just say "see, we told you the performance of the One was awesome". Secret sauce, ect. Also, I'm not a racing fan so I haven't followed much, but wasn't/isn't Sony struggling to hit 1080p x 60fps for Drive Club? How could anyone call out a third party for struggling with the same issues?

Well no one is saying 1080/60 or bust, they're saying if both versions are running at 720/30 with the same IQ something has gone wrong. Especially if this is only the case for some multiplatform titles, where others show the PS4's superiority, there would be no excuse of not being able to use the additional power due to coding difficulties because as well as being the stronger machine, it also appears to be the easiest to develop on.

On the topic of Driveclub, it's a complex situation, it's trying to get dynamic lighting and much more detailed courses, the combination of which has never been done before. But the topic is going to get even crazier if we continue to talk about driveclub in here.

Exactly. Both PS4 and XB1 games are struggling to hit 1080/60. Id ONLY question this if Sony's 1st party games were all 1080/60 and for some reason the 3rd parties were lesser. They're accusing MS of paying off these pubs to make games look shitty.

HEY GUYS. If you believe this, go check out Misterx Journal! You're starting to sound just like him.

Errm all the sony first party games are 1080p, except the Order, which is still 1920 pixels wide and would get the same 1080p stamp as blu rays get. So the discussion about lower resolution games is perfectly valid.

Skeff

Don't first-party games already look better than third-party multiplatform games?

IMO the best looking games of this gen are Sony 1st party games, followed by MS first party followed by multiplats, the 360 has a stronger GPU and the PS3 is forced to use the complex Cell architecture to try and make up for this, despite that, i still think the PS3 exclusives are the best looking games of the gen.

So now imagine that these talented first parties are now on the console with comfortably the most powerful GPU which is easier to develop for, I think the gap will be wider this gen.

It's not about offending MS. It's about not pissing off people who only own XB1. Let's say there's a situation in which media reports that for example, Watch Dogs is notably better on PS4, and XB1 version is missing effects or has framerate problems or lower resolution, and reviews report that. Now, people who only own XB1 are going to say "well, if this version sucks, and they didn't bother spending time to make it work/look better, I'm just going to buy some other game". This mentality is what publishers worry about, and no amount of explaining that spending more time wouldn't make any difference, is going to help.

I think this has happened a lot with PS3 last gen, and publishers took note of it.

Why don't they gimp PC ports to match consoles then? Why didn't they gimp 360 games to match ps3's subpar performance for all those years?

Your typical bro gamer doesn't give a shit about spec wars, let alone knows about it. If someone only has the X1, and COD/GTA/BF/etc. comes out for the X1, he will buy those games for the X1.

Skenzin

Banned
Its funny, because Xbox Original owners got really nerfed multiplatforms from the ps2. Still pretty messed up if games get nerfed on purpose instead of the usual market/laziness reasons.

CSX

Its funny, because Xbox Original owners got really nerfed multiplatforms from the ps2. Still pretty messed up if games get nerfed on purpose instead of the usual market/laziness reasons.

really ? I thought Xbox Original multiplatform games always was the superior version. Better framerate, graphics, etc

IMO the best looking games of this gen are Sony 1st party games, followed by MS first party followed by multiplats, the 360 has a stronger GPU and the PS3 is forced to use the complex Cell architecture to try and make up for this, despite that, i still think the PS3 exclusives are the best looking games of the gen.

So now imagine that these talented first parties are now on the console with comfortably the most powerful GPU which is easier to develop for, I think the gap will be wider this gen.

True, but I meant more along the lines of if first-party is already outperforming third-party this gen, why would it become an issue if it happens next gen?

Proelite

This is such a win-win for Sony to have better specs in the minds of gamers.

If a port looks better on their platform, it's a no brainer.
It a port is equal to or better on Xbox One, they can imply politics at play like yosp did on twitter.

This is quite a predicament for MS.

I will avoid buying gimped games due to politics whenever possible. You know how it is as a gamer, soft bans are easier than hard bans when it comes to this type of thing. You want them to feel the pain a bit but you don't want to have to live like a puritan to get the point across.

Well no one is saying 1080/60 or bust, they're saying if both versions are running at 720/30 with the same IQ something has gone wrong. Especially if this is only the case for some multiplatform titles, where others show the PS4's superiority, there would be no excuse of not being able to use the additional power due to coding difficulties because as well as being the stronger machine, it also appears to be the easiest to develop on.

On the topic of Driveclub, it's a complex situation, it's trying to get dynamic lighting and much more detailed courses, the combination of which has never been done before. But the topic is going to get even crazier if we continue to talk about driveclub in here.

Errm all the sony first party games are 1080p, except the Order, which is still 1920 pixels wide and would get the same 1080p stamp as blu rays get. So the discussion about lower resolution games is perfectly valid.

Are they all 60fps also? If we start seein 1080/60 on all Sony first party and either 1080/30 or 720/60 on multiplats, then I'm sure fingers will start being pointed. But if Sony is putting out 1080/30 and a third party puts out 720/60 then I don't see how it can't be chalked up to anything but different priorities.

Biker19

Banned
Thank god for first party studios.

Sure multiplats will be identical, but first party is going to embarrass them. As usual.

Well, at least we don't have to worry about 3rd party games like these heading over to either Xbox 360 or Xbox One:

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma
Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX
The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki
Lily Bergamo
Natural Doctrine
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles
Tales of Xillia 1 & 2

I'm sure that some of those games would be able to take advantage of PS3's & PS4's hardware as well.

Nafai1123

Banned
Are they all 60fps also? If we start seein 1080/60 on all Sony first party and either 1080/30 or 720/60 on multiplats, then I'm sure fingers will start being pointed. But if Sony is putting out 1080/30 and a third party puts out 720/60 then I don't see how it can't be chalked up to anything but different priorities.

60fps is completely irrelevant to compare cross game because it's a design decision. The point is if a multiplat comes out, and IQ/framerate is identical across both platforms, people are going to assume that the PS4 version was gimped. This will be especially true if other multiplats are out and shows a large disparity between the two consoles.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Why don't they gimp PC ports to match consoles then?
I think real answer is because no one cares. No reviews ever bothered to compare or comment on PC versions (not even DF did for the longest time). The other thing is that eventually it has to be assumed that if you have some high end graphics card and cpu, it will destroy consoles, but you pay for what you get, so it's a class of its own compared to cheap consoles.

Why didn't they gimp 360 games to match ps3's subpar performance for all those years?
I think as time went on, and publishers realized how many complaints (and potentially lost sales) there were about 'lazy' developers not targeting PS3 strengths, they actually started making more and more sure to reach as close parity as possible. How they achieved it, I can only speculate though.

Skeff

If we have 2 multiplatfor games, let's say fps A and fps B as follows:

fps A
1080/60 on PS4 900/60 on XB1
better IQ than fps b
bigger maps than fps b

fps B
900/60 on both consoles
exactly the same game on both PS4/XB1

We clearly know from fps a that the PS4 can do display this game at 1080/60 because it has already displayed a far more demanding game also from a third part developer at 1080/60.

Clearly fps b would have suffered from enforced parity, this shouldn't be a question of omg sub 1080, moneyhats, it should be judged on a game by game basis.

stilgar

No it's not. It's the most garbage french website there is. Everyone in France just laughs at them.

Filed with rumors and other crap that would make tabloids jealous, their new editor in chief, Julien Chièze, would do anything to get hits on his website.

wat. Trazom ->ex chief redactor at Gamepad
Kamuirobotics ->very reliable, ubiquitous in the French press
RaHan -> Better than 90% of the "journalists" out there

I'm not a fan of this site, and they're very childish on certain issue, but they are reliable, this is a fact.

Joemoe

Neo Member
This "political issues" stuff makes no sense. If you were to go for total parity, wouldn't you be "offending" Sony? How would that be any different than taking advantage of PS4 hardware and "offending" Microsoft?

Gaffers say the site is "reliable" but what if the timing to the Intel is old and the issue already resolved but unannounced or confirmed atm?

Plus the "political issues" part doesn't sound true at all. /my .02 cents

Vana

Neo Member
wat. Trazom ->ex chief redactor at Gamepad
Kamuirobotics ->very reliable, ubiquitous in the French press
RaHan -> Better than 90% of the "journalists" out there

I'm not a fan of this site, and they're very childish on certain issue, but they are reliable, this is a fact.

Trazom doesn't participate a lot anymore, Rahan left, Kamuirobotics has never been a part of Gameblog's redaction even if he wrote some test for them. They have never been trust worthy, and it is even worst right now. I don't want to go into all the details and all the unreliable information they gave, because the list is just last too long, but for example few years ago they announced before E3 2010 that they have exclusive information that Nintendo will show the Wii HD at E3, they said the PS Vita will only last a little bit more than one hour in game, and the list goes on and on.

fps A
better IQ than fps b
bigger maps than fps b

fps B
900/60 on both consoles

We clearly know from fps a that the PS4 can do display this game at 1080/60 because it has already displayed a far more demanding game also from a third part developer at 1080/60.

Clearly fps b would have suffered from enforced parity, this shouldn't be a question of omg sub 1080, moneyhats, it should be judged on a game by game basis.

You still have human beings with varying levels of skill developing these games. It isn't just a bunch of switches people flick to turn up the res/fps until the console can't handle it.

SLY_

Banned
Feels like I've gone back in time. A generation ago seemed to play out in this exact manner. Personally, I'm looking forward to this show for the next 6-7 years.

lHb9105.gif

Skeff

You still have human beings with varying levels of skill developing these games. It isn't just a bunch of switches people flick to turn up the res/fps until the console can't handle it.

In which case the more difficult to develop for console should suffer even more....

BajiRav

I can't fathom why Driveclub gets a pass for doing something that is not exactly "new" or The Order for their "artistic choices" of running at sub-HD resolution but Ryse does not? Both Driveclub and Ryse are launch games and any performance hits are expected so why try to excuse Driveclub for anything but it is a launch game?

I can't fathom why Driveclub gets a pass for doing something that is not exactly "new" or The Order for their "artistic choices" of running at sub-HD resolution but Ryse does not? Both Driveclub and Ryse are launch games and any performance hits are expected so why try to excuse Driveclub for anything but it is a launch game?
Open World driving game with multiple cars and more physics, dynamic lighting, etc vs linear quick-timey, planned-for-360-and Kinect pile of hurt.

As far as I can tell the writer was just saying they might have parity as to not insult Microsoft but there's no real sign that will happen. Completely hypothetical, certainly not something that happened this generation.

And Drive Club isn't open world and Ryse is easily one of the more impressive titles for either system visually, recent resolution reveal aside. Although there is a difference between what the Order will do (black bars I assume) as compared to Ryse which will be upscaled up and have the resolution difference more noticeable in the IQ.

ironcreed

Banned
cant wait till SteamOS has enough game support, the day i am free from any MS product will be a lucky day.

Steam Machine is exactly what I am planning to buy in place of an Xbox One, provided the pricing is reasonable. I loved the Xbox and the 360, but Microsoft has just lost me with this bloated all-in-one bullshit that comes at the expense of a stronger focus on the gaming hardware side of things. I did not ask for or want any of that. I just wanted them to design a great gaming system first and foremost, as that is why I bought their previous two consoles.

Steam Machine is exactly what I am planning to buy in place of an Xbox One, provided the pricing is reasonable. I loved the Xbox and the 360, but Microsoft has just lost me with this bloated all-in-one bullshit that comes at the expense of a stronger focus on the gaming hardware side of things. I did not ask for or want any of that. I just wanted them to design a great gaming system first and foremost, as that is why I bought their previous two consoles.
I wonder if Steam Box will bring more update-able hardware to the console space? Make the boxes modular so I can update them, but not the same 'you're on your own, buddy' world of PC. Maybe Steam-Verified updates where everything is KNOWN to work with everything else.

Hyunashi

DC and Ryse arnt really comparable(open world v linear) and we dont know enough about the Order.

Jeff Gertsmann said a while back that the nerfing of one version to not outshine the other has already happened in the current generation, but he wouldn't go into any detail.

ironcreed

Banned
I wonder if Steam Box will bring more update-able hardware to the console space? Make the boxes modular so I can update them, but not the same 'you're on your own, buddy' world of PC. Maybe Steam-Verified updates where everything is KNOWN to work with everything else.

That would be amazing and I kind of think that is the direction they may be going in. Truly bridging the gap between consoles and PC... even with their controller.

fps A
better IQ than fps b
bigger maps than fps b

fps B
900/60 on both consoles

While I don't argue the overall logic behind this.... this doesn't 'clearly' state anything. The developer could just as easily chose to do console parity instead of developing 2 'separate' versions... Which would be cheaper development cost.

I personally think if anything, we're going to see 'slightly better this and that' in a lot of multi titles. But I really don't buy into the idea of MS forcing/moneyhatting every single dev that doesn't push the ps4's ability. And I also think regardless of this, any time we have a game that isn't better on the ps4, MS is going to be called out as having forced it whether they did or not.

BajiRav

DC and Ryse arnt really comparable(open world v linear) and we dont know enough about the Order.
I meant they are both launch games so devs are still figuring out the hardware and hence if Ryse gets called out for graphics, there is no reason to excuse Driveclub (ref to post that I replied).

stryke

Driveclub sacrifices something to add actually something meaningful to the gameplay, i.e. day AND night time racing.

What does ryse have to gain with a res drop and lower LOD besides from prettier graphics?

Can't say much about The Order though, I think it's silly what they're doing. At least IQ won't be bad.

Driveclub sacrifices something to add actually something meaningful to the gameplay, i.e. day AND night time racing.

What does ryse have to gain with a res drop and lower LOD besides from prettier graphics?

Can't say much about The Order though, I think it's silly what they're doing. At least IQ won't be bad.

Also, Driveclub looks better every time it's shown. Every time I see Ryse, I can't quite tell just what the hell it's trying to be.

Top Bottom