• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameReactor: Pre-orders for GTAV on PC starting this Friday

kudoboi

That's for Rockstar to know or care about. If anything, who cares what happens to the PC as a platform? Only the people that use it for that.

We should be grateful Rockstar sees the PC crowd as a big enough install base to warrant a port.

it is bad for the gamers on that said platform as well.

playing a game that was released 6 months after other platforms is not fun. you have the risk of getting the ending spoiled ( which happened to me for Max Payne 3, AC4, GTA V, MGSR, LA Noire, GTA IV), all the secrets being revealed and just the overall feel of knowing that it is not new. I don't feel as excited to play GTA V now compared to when it first released due to the huge amount of videos, screenshots, news of the game.

Zia

We should be grateful Rockstar sees the PC crowd as a big enough install base to warrant a port.

Wait... what?

Add me to the camp that started on the 360 version, went away for awhile and decided to wait for the PC ver. Hopefully there is an official announcement soon.

That's for Rockstar to know or care about. If anything, who cares what happens to the PC as a platform? Only the people that use it for that.

I don't understand why you would want to root for something so brazenly anti consumer. It might help Rockstar, but why would we care?

I don't understand why you would want to root for something so brazenly anti consumer. It might help Rockstar, but why would we care?

I do not root for it, but I don't see how this hurts the PC as a platform. If anything, after the last decade, the PC has only gotten stronger since its getting a lot more ports from console games than before.

I do not root for it, but I don't see how this hurts the PC as a platform. If anything, after the last decade, the PC has only gotten stronger since its getting a lot more ports from console games than before.
bolded would get you a standing ovation and mad tips at the GAF comedy club

Grief.exe

Getting a game late will mean a significantly smaller percentage of people were purchase the game on the platform.

Diminished sales and money on the platform overall will diminish publisher confidence and the platform will see less ports on the whole.

If you still cannot grasp this concept, then there is not much else I can do for you.

More companies should go that route with AAA games. You already hear of people wanting to double dip. Just look at how much more they are gonna get if they had released it along side with consoles. Great marketing move

Couldn't disagree more. It's a shitty move and too bad R* can get away with it.

It doesn't hurt the platform, but it's disrespectful and insulting to PC gamers. Would be the same for other platforms too.

Spaghetti

i'm willing to assume the reason the port is late is because gtav had to hit that september deadline just to get it out before new consoles

someone post the buildlog google doc for gtav they found online, you can see a point where work just outright stops on the pc version because of what i assume are encroaching deadlines

late ports don't really cut it so much anymore, only if you're introducing or reintroducing a franchise to pc after a long sabbatical from the platform, like metal gear coming over with rising

Xyber

You still get the game, hopefully beta-tested.

I'd rather have the game late than never. Unless of course we're speaking about Halo 2 levels of late.

I'd much rather have the game on release. The game should be working day one on all platforms and not have to be "beta tested" on consoles for 6 months before a PC release.

bolded would get you a standing ovation and mad tips at the GAF comedy club

It is obvious we have different experiences so I'll leave it at that. Suffice to say, I've been able to acquire at least half of the games I most played in my 360 for PC, and that hasn't happened with previous gens. The ports simply did not exist.

Getting a game late will mean a significantly smaller percentage of people were purchase the game on the platform.

Diminished sales and money on the platform overall will diminish publisher confidence and the platform will see less ports on the whole.

If you still cannot grasp this concept, then there is not much else I can do for you.

I can't put my ideas into words well, so I'll just say this and leave it at that: I do not believe developers do this in order to hurt the PC market, they do it because the console market is a more profitable field than the PC market, because developing for consoles makes everything easier for everyone, both the consumer and the developer (not in the long run but that's an entirely different point).

In order to maximize gains, they release first for consoles where the install base is higher in the present and then for all other platforms where the install base will get them more sales in the long run. That seems to me like a solid bussiness decision and I have no problem with that because videogames are not a necesity, they're a hobby. Rockstar spent a hell of a lot of money on a solid game that took years to create instead of going the EA way of releasing a yearly product with minimum changes, so whatever they do to keep it going with todays bloated development costs is fine by me as long as I get to play the game sometime.

I do believe however, that the real problem you have with this is:

It doesn't hurt the platform, but it's disrespectful and insulting to PC gamers. Would be the same for other platforms too.

And that's a respectful way to feel about the issue. I don't feel that way, but I am the minority here, so I'll leave it at that.

Grief.exe

i'm willing to assume the reason the port is late is because gtav had to hit that september deadline just to get it out before new consoles

someone post the buildlog google doc for gtav they found online, you can see a point where work just outright stops on the pc version because of what i assume are encroaching deadlines

late ports don't really cut it so much anymore, only if you're introducing or reintroducing a franchise to pc after a long sabbatical from the platform, like metal gear coming over with rising

Rockstar has been doing this since GTAIII though.

Console release, then PC release sometime later.

Grief.exe

I have a feeling Rockstar will revisit Red Dead for a 'definitive' edition on PC/PS4/XBO, then follow that up with a sequel.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I would have bought a full priced GTA 5 on release on PC, I passed because there wasn't even word of an announced PC version. Now the moment has passed for the game and reactions became very tepid after it had been out for a while, I don't feel compelled to grab it at all. It went from a guaranteed full-priced preorder to a game that will sit on a "when it's on sale" pile. Thanks for the late port, Rockstar!

Pjsprojects

Please remove the bad sports section & make it possible to earn big dosh without cheating!

Completed the 360 version which was great but I'm not paying full price again even for an upgrade in graphics. Will wait for cheap Steam price.

And that's a respectful way to feel about the issue. I don't feel that way, but I am the minority here, so I'll leave it at that.

Just to make this clear, if R* had been upfront about the release schedule from the getgo ("we'll release GTAV first for consoles in Fall and then next year around Feb/Spring for PC") I wouldn't have a problem with it. But misleading PC gamers by not talking at all about PC release, to make them buy their game potentially twice or thrice is not cool in my book. And if situation were reversed (PC first, console later without announcing it) I would still feel the same.

It is obvious we have different experiences so I'll leave it at that. Suffice to say, I've been able to acquire at least half of the games I most played in my 360 for PC, and that hasn't happened with previous gens. The ports simply did not exist.
yeah but is that necessarily a good thing for PC gaming? I can think of a few franchises that had been gutted or changed significantly to suit a multiplatform audience, more than a few shoddy ports where PC almost seemed like an afterthought, matchmaking over dedicated servers, games wherein the core design was limited by a desire to ship the game on decade or half decade old hardware, etc. I'd say it's less that PC gaming is becoming stronger because of consoles and more that multiplatform releases are just more feasable in this day and age given that consoles are functionally limited PCs now and Microsoft is a big player

FINALLY! It was so painful to have to sell GTAV on PS3 when I experienced how fuck atrocious the framerate was and the nasty image quality, so I've been waiting with bated breath ever since. Come to me, GTAV PC... and have your destiny finally achieved!

This.

I could see there is a beautiful game underneath but the horrible IQ and framerate was hampering my enjoyment. Can't wait for this version.

RK9039

IRON MAN MOD!

kCgkEYd.gif

Lulubop

Still very skeptical about this all going down tomorrow, or ever at this point.

Edit: Browsing this thread, and it seems a lot more credible than that last rumored reveal date. Still not getting too hyped.

FACE

Banned

Thank you based R* for blessing us with the privilege of(possibly) giving you money. You truly are the bestest of the best!

Is there any other indication of an announcement tomorrow? I won't play another game for weeks once this hits, GTA V was so good <3

Sentenza

Is there any other indication of an announcement tomorrow? I won't play another game for weeks once this hits, GTA V was so good <3
There have been "leaks" about this information for weeks, in few circumstances even coming from corporate men who wrongly assumed this was public knowledge already.

At this point I'm almost starting to think Rockstar is deliberately delaying the announcement of this port every time some info leaks out, just because they are annoyed.

Herne

Wouldn't R* of said something if this was the case ?

Have. Wouldn't Rockstar have said something. Sorry, that had to be said.

My flatmate has it for 360 but he's double dipping for the pc version, we still play GTA IV whenever we hold a lan so we're all looking forward to it.

I can't wait to mod the shit outta this game.

Hopefully you can replace all the cars with crazy high detailed ones and it won't screw up the game by causing lagging textures and nothing but taxi's like in GTA4.

Vibranium

Banned

playing a game that was released 6 months after other platforms is not fun. you have the risk of getting the ending spoiled ( which happened to me for Max Payne 3, AC4, GTA V, MGSR, LA Noire, GTA IV), all the secrets being revealed and just the overall feel of knowing that it is not new. I don't feel as excited to play GTA V now compared to when it first released due to the huge amount of videos, screenshots, news of the game.

I agree, it kills the fun and excitement, I hope Rockstar doesn't pull this crap again as we move through this gen. 6 months is ridiculous, even Ubisoft realized that.

Red Dead on PC would sell like crazy, there should have been a version on Day 1 (played it to death on console and loved it though), no matter what issues there may be.

slapnuts

Just to make this clear, if R* had been upfront about the release schedule from the getgo ("we'll release GTAV first for consoles in Fall and then next year around Feb/Spring for PC") I wouldn't have a problem with it. But misleading PC gamers by not talking at all about PC release, to make them buy their game potentially twice or thrice is not cool in my book. And if situation were reversed (PC first, console later without announcing it) I would still feel the same.

Yeah i see what you mean by not being a cool thing to do but remember business is business

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Will buy on steam since I skipped the console versions (I don't even have those systems plugged in anymore), but shouldn't it be in the registry already if it was happening today?

I'm hyped to play GTAV, which is due in part to the fact that I didn't engage with the hype or post release media in any way. I did the same with MGS Rising. I think if you over indulge in consuming all this media; screenshots, videos, walkthroughs etc. you run the risk of being fatigued on the end product, and your enjoyment of that end product should be put above anything else. I've found that the over saturated coverage works against most big budget games. I know basic things about these games, which is kind of liberating going in. Over the years, I've stopped engaging with games pre-release and have found games more rewarding as a consequence. The Last Of Us was one which I barely knew anything about, apart from it was another great Naughty Dog game. I loved it from beginning and end, and more importantly, the experience was fresh and unspoiled.

I stopped following coverage in such a way after Uncharted 3. I felt so much of that game was spoiled, because I'd pored over each video, each review and preview in obsessive detail. By the time you get the game, you know so much about it and have all these expectations going in that it harms your enjoyment of it.

ekim

When is R* usually doing announcements? in 3-4 hours right?

Edit: Funnily enough, Amazon.de removed the PC SKU today... I wonder why. They had it online for a whole year until now.

Hasney

When it happens, I'll be waiting on the sale to double dip, but still can't wait.

It'll be a good Christmas game.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
If this is true, then PC Gamer's prediction from the beginning of May last year was only off by 18 days.

JB1981

FINALLY! It was so painful to have to sell GTAV on PS3 when I experienced how fuck atrocious the framerate was and the nasty image quality, so I've been waiting with bated breath ever since. Come to me, GTAV PC... and have your destiny finally achieved!

Thought it was quite an accomplishment given the hardware.

Top Bottom