• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamereactor Sweden Removes Ellie (TLOU) From Cover

jOcnoGf.png

I want her to protect me.

NOOO LOL. I can't.

.... why the hell did they take Ellie out then?

The only reason I could think of is that they might have feared a "negative" reaction to a young frightened girl being on the cover. I am not saying I agree with what they have done, I am just saying that media tend to be a bit skittish about children and how they are portrayed especially when there is a bloke there with an axe in his hand.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
A lot of people in this thread seem to think Ellen Page plays Ellie.

Those people: you're thinking of Beyond: Two Souls.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Ellie should be on the cover, but the developer & publisher have no say in cover art composition. That's 100% an Editorial decision and it's a little bit gross to seeing someone on the other side trying to direct what should and shouldn't be included.

It's no different than someone saying "You didn't mention this game feature we discussed in your preview." The answer is "You don't get to decide what I include in my preview."

Cover art is... art. It's subjective. My guess is whoever designed it felt the composition of the image was more striking/looked better with a lone Joel standing there.

orrrr maybe it's just sexist. *shrug*

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Ellie should be on the cover, but the developer & publisher have no say in cover art composition. That's 100% an Editorial decision and it's a little bit gross to seeing someone on the other side trying to direct what should and shouldn't be included.
I do think they have a say in as far as they can give the magazine several options that they can choose to use for their cover art. There is an implicit agreement that the magazine logo and text will be over-layered.

I don't know the terms of the agreement, but in regular copyright terms, just because you give someone permission to distribute you do not also give the permission to alter, and then distribute.

The editor and head of design of Gamereactor is kind of a pompous asshole. I live in the same city and know of a lot of people who have crossed his path.

MrDaravon

It's no different than someone saying "You didn't mention this game feature we discussed in your preview." The answer is "You don't get to decide what I include in my preview."

Cover art is... art. It's subjective. My guess is whoever designed it felt the composition of the image was more striking/looked better with a lone Joel standing there.

orrrr maybe it's just sexist. *shrug*

If the publisher is directly providing the art assets, does the magazine have the right to completely edit things out of it? Honest question, it just seems kind of disingenuous as the developer to provide a specific piece of artwork only to have one of the two characters on it completely removed, and (apparently) not even in a way where they just cropped the image or there was cover text or something. Seems almost misrepresentative of the game/art.

ayrix

Neo Member
Isn't this copyright infringement, of the kind copyright was originally (before all this profiteering crap) designed to stop.
Altering the image in any way would be a derivative work and thus require separate approval from the rights holder. (no expert on Swedish law, but in most countries this is not okay)

Copyright is about preserving artistic/authorial intent, above all else. This clearly violates that.

Why even bother doing something like this though. It was only ever going to cause some kind of issue.

Gamereactor can't honestly think Ellie is going to cause some negativity to the game. She's central to the whole experience!

Petter Hegevall, who's in charge of graphical design, is a huge fan of the "Chin down, eyes up"-look. He puts the boxart from Crysis as the best boxart ever.

He tries to spin it by talking about composition and colours, but most of the times the stuff he likes are traditional minimalism or the typical action-covers, such as this.

He's gonna make a statement about how it looks better when Joels centered, because "That's how good covers look".

Probably not keen on the kids and violence combo. I can respect that.

Shop request. The child soldier from Beyond: Two Souls + Ellie on the cover.

Top Bottom