• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamereactor Sweden Removes Ellie (TLOU) From Cover

hncYKhQ.jpg

Now.

Now we have a thread here, boys.

Nightic

Neo Member
The designer behind this cover states in the comment section of this blog:

http://www.gamereactor.se/blog/petter/556631/

"Ja, jag kan inte sätta mig och rendera om artwork vi får från utvecklarna. Dels kan jag inte det rent tekniskt, och dels skulle de stämma arslet av oss. Så vi jobbar med det vi får. Och sen låter vi er rösta på det ni vill ha."

Which means:

"I can't sit down and re-render artwork handed to us by developers. Partially because of technical reasons, and partially because then they would sue our ass off. So we work with what we're given. Then we let you [the readers] vote for whichever cover you want."

"Ja, jag kan inte sätta mig och rendera om artwork vi får från utvecklarna. Dels kan jag inte det rent tekniskt, och dels skulle de stämma arslet av oss. Så vi jobbar med det vi får. Och sen låter vi er rösta på det ni vill ha."

Which means:

"I can't sit down and re-render artwork handed to us by developers. Partially because of technical reasons, and partially because then they would sue our ass off. So we work with what we're given. Then we let you [the readers] vote for whichever cover you want."

So...Ellie was never there in the first place? So what's Druckmann on about?

Which means:

I don't understand his explanation. Was Ellie like way off to the side so it would be impossible to have both on the cover at the same time? If that's the case, maybe understandable. If Ellie was close to the guy (don't know his name) and they removed her that's just weird.

Which means:

That means he can't re-render the renders themselves, but he's probably given a file with layers he can play with. Neil wouldn't have complained about the picture if Petter hadn't gone out of his way to remove or deactivate the Ellie-layer.

That means he can't re-render the renders themselves, but he's probably given a file with layers he can play with. Neil wouldn't have complained about the picture if Petter hadn't gone out of his way to remove or deactivate the Ellie-layer.

Maybe in the PSD Ellie's layer was invisible or turned off?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Nothing to worry about.

Gamereactor Sweden sucks anyway. Terrible journalism. Terrible reviews.
Yet that's a pretty damn cool looking cover.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Ellie should be on the cover, but the developer & publisher have no say in cover art composition. That's 100% an Editorial decision and it's a little bit gross to seeing someone on the other side trying to direct what should and shouldn't be included.

It's no different than someone saying "You didn't mention this game feature we discussed in your preview." The answer is "You don't get to decide what I include in my preview."

Cover art is... art. It's subjective. My guess is whoever designed it felt the composition of the image was more striking/looked better with a lone Joel standing there.

orrrr maybe it's just sexist. *shrug*

Or they can ask the publisher if they have another art piece to use before editing her out.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I don't understand his explanation. Was Ellie like way off to the side so it would be impossible to have both on the cover at the same time? If that's the case, maybe understandable. If Ellie was close to the guy (don't know his name) and they removed her that's just weird.

From the way Neil Druckmann phrase it, it seems to be an exclusive art they do for Gamereactor. Naughtydog ain't a bunch of amateurs, so I doubt they didn't make sure the art piece they provided for the cover doesn't fit well into Gamereactor's cover.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
US PSM took Qwark and Nefarious off of our Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One cover our principal artist did for them

It is the magazine's prerogative, but they also should consult with the artist generally before making changes to the art.

5512781135_557490b585_z.jpg

US PSM took Qwark and Nefarious off of our Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One cover our principal artist did for them

It is the magazine's prerogative, but they also should consult with the artist generally before making changes to the art.

That's a pretty clear case of removing characters because of a conflict with the magazine's text.

Without seeing the original or knowing how it was edited (was it cropped or was she just removed?) it's very hard to guess why she was removed. Even then..., maybe the editor just has a preference for a certain look. 3 out of the 4 choices are framed exactly the same and the 4th isn't far off.

Top Bottom