• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"GamerGate is the monster that the industry created" - Anita Sarkeesian

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstripes

Banned
*chuckles* Damn PC police!

Gator: SJWs get offended way too easily.

Reviewer: This game gets 8.9/10.

Gator:
1RY4jy8m.png

Portugeezer

It goes further. They also use whatever minority within their movement as shields from criticism like the whole "my best friend is black" stuff. They're also harboring literal nazis in their movement as Storm Front supports GamerGate.

Like Fox News? Must be rough on any minority to always be seen as a token.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I can confirm this. I had to write a paper on Internet harassment for a course in my college. I went on some imageboard (16chan, I believe) to get some first-hand evidence. Right on the front page they were actually live-streaming a white, young, rotund man who killed his sister because she said she was interested in starting to learn programming. All the people on the chat were cheering on the guy and encouraging him.
I got so sick to my stomach after witnessing this that I dropped out of that course.

The fuck? You witnessed a live murder?

I hope you're reporting it to the police or something?

Nanashrew

Banned
disagree.

it's more because gaming interests are correlated with being a geek/nerd which is correlated with struggling socially in adolescence and that leads to guys having a chip on their shoulder when it comes to women.

I was bullied in school, I have a few chips on my shoulder. I'm also really awkward around women, very shy and nervous. I'm an introvert in the truest sense of the word and don't like going to parties or conventions, I actually don't like large crowds or going out much, really. But I'm nothing like many of those guys. I was taught to respect others regardless of gender or color and never look down on anyone.

It's more about what we are taught, what media we consume and overall, all the toxic parts of masculinity that have no place in normal society. Society tells women to not get raped but never tells men to not do the raping or even have a serious discussion on that. The first thing always said is "she was asking for it" because of whatever she was wearing. We are very much told that we own women in what they can do, say or wear.

Then there's violence, that being violent is part of showing what it means to be a "real man." Oh, but boys will be boys, let's just let all of these bad aspects slide under the rug.
Sommers is the worst.

There's a lot of terrible crap.

All mediums are really guilty of these things but we're the only ones with GamerGate here and now trying to tear every minority who speaks out to shreds. We really did help in cultivating this, and the industry is still currently sustaining it. Currently, many in GamerGate and many parts that came in just to fight feminists say that this industry is the last bastion for masculinity because the "feminist agenda" has started taking over in other industries and they couldn't stop it.

I don't think the sentiment of the remark was "look at what white people do because they're white". It was "oh they're all white, how predictable".

Pretty much, yep.

jstripes

Banned
It's gotten to the point these days where if I see a shitty comment from a non-elderly person on Twitter, and I click to see their profile, I expect to see the word "gamer" in there... and I always see it.

This is coming from someone who has had a PlayStation 2 keychain on their keys, which I got at E3, for 15 years.

DrSlek

I'd say it's somewhere in between.

"GamerGate is the monster that the industry cultivated"

"GamerGate is the monster that the industry created" - False

"GamerGate is the monster that the industry sustained" - True

I think this has a significant amount of influence over the entire shemozzle. The industry didn't create it, but it did function as an outlet for fuckfaces to attempt justifying their being fuckfaces.

Indefensibility confirmed.

That you would associate it with them being 'white' rather than misguided falls flat on its arse.

This whole "standing up against white people doesn't work unless you're perfectly clear in intent and diction, otherwise you minorities / advocates are as mindless as we make you out to be" bullshit really needs to stop. Much like the world's major cultural and state-based powers that be, gamergate has a predominantly white, male makeup - much like the predominant demographic of gaming. Really not that much of a stretch to insinuate that the people vehemently rallying against female and racial minority inclusion in gaming would be, well, white dudes that play video games. I don't see how this is some heinous insinuation. There are a lot more white moderates than Don Lemons out there.

Dryk

She was around before she started talking about video games.
Nobody cared before she put on the mask

Can't help it if there are some idiots out there that have no reading comprehension skills and find it to be an attack on their persona and who they are.
I found the articles to be an interesting litmus test. The general gist of them was "You don't have to pander to neckbeards, there are other people playing games too". It made all the people outraged that they were generalising all gamers as neckbeards look somewhat insecure.

Crayon

I feel like Twitter and Facebook have proven that anonymity is not essential to the equation.

I think it's even worse. I think that many people really are heinous pieces of shit, and are only constrained in the real world by their cowardice and socialization. The internet is a haven for them to "be themselves" by virtue of it's relative lawlessness. Think Lord of the Flies.

Anonymity was an appealing explanatory agent for some time but that time has passed.

fedexpeon

Banned
There should be a federal law on cyber-bullying.

And if we want a cyber-bully bill to have any effect I feel like we should have a federal law that requires a person to provide a SSN, DL or cellphone+SMS to sign up for a social media and limits them to one account so they can't create another one after threaten someone online.

And if a cyber-bullying reaches a stage where the victim feels threaten then the government can fine and request a warrant for arrest of endangering and assaulting a person.
After going to court and the judge deems that the person is unstable, all privacy of their social account should be removed and be reported on job and credit history that the person might be a risk due to their mental health of abusing strangers online.
And in the worst case scenario such as a person causing another person death from cyber-bulling, it will count as a homicide.

It's more about what we are taught, what media we consume and overall, all the toxic parts of masculinity that have no place in normal society. Society tells women to not get raped but never tells men to not do the raping or even have a serious discussion on that. The first thing always said is "she was asking for it" because of whatever she was wearing. We are very much told that we own women in what they can do, say or wear.

This is just complete horseshit.

It is about what you've been taught and it sounds to me like you've been indoctrinated with the worst excesses of radical feminism.

Dryk

It is about what you've been taught and it sounds to me like you've been indoctrinated with the worst excesses of radical feminism.
If you think that the prevalence of victim blaming in our society is a radfem beat-up you're not paying enough attention. It shows up in the media, the news and even the courts all the time.

jstripes

Banned
There should be a federal law on cyber-bullying.

There should, but the internet is international.

A US law on cyber-bullying does jack shit in Canada. Or England. Or Australia. Or anywhere else.

Then you have to define cyber-bulling. Is it for the thin-skinned people, who are devastated by "you suck"? Or is is lenient to the extreme?

Least100Seraphs

Neo Member
I think this has a significant amount of influence over the entire shemozzle. The industry didn't create it, but it did function as an outlet for fuckfaces to attempt justifying their being fuckfaces.

The theory was "normal person" + anonymity + audience = dick. As has been said, Facebook, Twitter, etc, has proven that the anonymity isn't necessary. To be honest, I don't think audience is really necessary, either.

I think it's more like
"normal person" + opportunity - consequences = dick.

Edit: To clarify, I place "normal person" in the inverted commas, because I'd like to think that in both cases, the person isn't normal. I'd like to think that I'm normal and that I wouldn't do this. I'd like to think that normal people don't become dicks so easily.

If you think that the prevalence of victim blaming in our society is a radfem beat-up you're not paying enough attention. It shows up in the media, the news and even the courts all the time.

No. You're absolutely right. Here in the UK we're taught in our sex education classes in both primary schools and secondary schools that consent is useless, it's ok to rape women and they're all asking for it.
It's literally taught in schools.

We have literally no adverts on TV advising young people of the importance of consent in sex.

We have literally no jail sentences for rape. Us British guys are actually encouraged to go out and take it by force. Literally.

How are we supposed to know it's wrong?

I can't remember the last time I read a news report that tried to blame a victim (male or female) for being raped over here. Maybe you are reading the wrong kind of media.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Society does tell men not to rape.

However, it doesn't actually explain what rape is all that well. Some people think that rape is horrible and evil and of course they would never do it, and yet admit they would, and I quote, "have intentions to force a woman to sexual intercourse if nobody would ever know and there wouldn't be any consequences". Even ignoring the fact that roughly 1 in 3 college men admitted they would commit rape (yikes), there is a 20 point difference between those saying they would never rape, and those saying they would but using different language.

This means that there is a great lack of education in boys as to the meaning of consent, don't you think?

petghost

Banned
Rapists are punished harshly and it's basically the most shameful crime you can commit in western society besides pedophilia. I don't think there is an institutionalized rape culture or that it's played down or whatever and to say it is is imo kinda radical...

There are definitely places like some Muslim majority countries where rape is scarily consequence free or results in punishment for The victim.

This comic is 10 years out of date. Idiots are trolling these women on Twitter and Facebook using their real names and photo id's. They are going mental with zero anonymity.

I found way too many of Anita's points were argued dishonestly and I also was informed of certain things like the term woman in the fridge that I had actually been unfamiliar with. So she was informative but also sometimes dishonest. This dishonesty particularly annoyed me because there is a legitimate culture of sexism in gaming and in the history of mankind. There should have been more than enough ammo without embellishing and lying to make some (not all) of her points. I also think she has been given way too much attention.

I did learn that many people who identified themselves as GGers recognize the problem exists and sending death/rape threats is deplorable. In fact most GGers posts I've read were pissed off because of the journalistic integrity bit. But it's also accurate that quite a few also got waaaaay more hung up on Zoe Quinn then they should have. DO I think she was dishonest and deserved backlash for certain things unrelated to her personal relationships? Yes. But obviously people were using called in airstrikes to punish her for what should have been a "go to your room, no dessert or video games for a month, we are very dissapointed in you young lady" punishment.

Quite a few claim to be in it for integrity but seem to be in it more for the doxxing, scarlet letter witch hunting fervor.

I met quite a few on the other side who were just as bad. The way they attacked other people (even when they were making legitmate points) was despicable in its own right. It's amazing how people who are fighting for a good cause can ruin it by being ignorant and downright evil in their methods. I pretty much stayed Sweden neutral in the whole thing

Except it's not. I'm sure it's harder for you to notice or pay attention to things you don't care about though

Oh yes. That's right.

I must be uneducated or simply not care about rape to think the sort of view points espoused above are just piffle.
Please let me into your echo chamber. I don't want to have to have independant thoughts. It hurts.

Lynx_7

I can confirm this. I had to write a paper on Internet harassment for a course in my college. I went on some imageboard (16chan, I believe) to get some first-hand evidence. Right on the front page they were actually live-streaming a white, young, rotund man who killed his sister because she said she was interested in starting to learn programming. All the people on the chat were cheering on the guy and encouraging him.
I got so sick to my stomach after witnessing this that I dropped out of that course.

So, are we just going to ignore this post or...?

I really hope you're not actually serious, but I've seen way too much stuff on the internet to doubt this.

Rather Dashing

Neo Member
I think it's even worse. I think that many people really are heinous pieces of shit, and are only constrained in the real world by their cowardice and socialization. The internet is a haven for them to "be themselves" by virtue of it's relative lawlessness. Think Lord of the Flies.

Anonymity was an appealing explanatory agent for some time but that time has passed.
Anybody who thinks anonymity is what breeds terrible garbage on the internet hasn't looked at any sufficiently large political Facebook page comments section.

You will find people saying the grossest, most vile stuff....with their real name and a picture of themselves right there, with a link to a profile that can tell you where they live, where they work, where they went to school, and where they've been recently.

I definitely think that rape deserves harsher sentences.
All rape (not just male on female) though.
But then I think lots of other crimes need harsher sentences too.
That suggests that in many areas, including lots of crimes involving violence and causing harm to others, the the criminal justice system is too lenient in the UK (in my opinion obviously).
It doesn't mean there is a 'rape culture' where only rape is treated with leniency.

Nanashrew

Banned
No. You're absolutely right. Here in the UK we're taught in our sex education classes in both primary schools and secondary schools that consent is useless, it's ok to rape women and they're all asking for it.
It's literally taught in schools.

We have literally no adverts on TV advising young people of the importance of consent in sex.

We have literally no jail sentences for rape. Us British guys are actually encouraged to go out and take it by force. Literally.

How are we supposed to know it's wrong?

I can't remember the last time I read a news report that tried to blame a victim (male or female) for being raped over here. Maybe you are reading the wrong kind of media.

You're taking it to extremes. This stuff is all there but in more subtle ways that many just don't notice because it has become ingrained into our culture as something normal. Look at media from any TV show or movie that if a boy or a man has sex with many women he's congratulated but a woman doing the same thing will often be shamed or called a slut. Look at how often men are treated so differently from women and how women are treated more like objects to be owned instead of being treated like human beings.

Sexism is all over the place and in the media we consume. We all are shaped in large part by what we consume. The word gamer is even originally a marketing term that we all adopted as a way to identify us from others who don't play games. Media shapes us whether it is blatant or subtle.

However, it doesn't actually explain what rape is all that well. Some people think that rape is horrible and evil and of course they would never do it, and yet admit they would, and I quote, "have intentions to force a woman to sexual intercourse if nobody would ever know and there wouldn't be any consequences". Even ignoring the fact that roughly 1 in 3 college men admitted they would commit rape (yikes), there is a 20 point difference between those saying they would never rape, and those saying they would but using different language.

This means that there is a great lack of education in boys as to the meaning of consent, don't you think?

Thanks for this. This is important and what I meant in how many don't want to have serious discussions on the subject.

"She was asking for it"
"Rape" as a synonym for "defeat badly"
"No means yes! Yes means anal!"
Single digit sentences for convicted rapists
Self-admitted rapists selling books and doing tours to teach their methods
Rape reporting rate around 1/5 of actual incidents
etc.

Nanashrew

Banned
"She was asking for it"
Self-admitted racists selling books and doing tours to teach their methods
etc.

Fuck Roosh and his book.

"She was asking for it"
etc.

An actual tabletop RPG about rape.

DrSlek

The theory was "normal person" + anonymity + audience = dick. As has been said, Facebook, Twitter, etc, has proven that the anonymity isn't necessary. To be honest, I don't think audience is really necessary, either.

I think it's more like
"normal person" + opportunity - consequences = dick.

Edit: To clarify, I place "normal person" in the inverted commas, because I'd like to think that in both cases, the person isn't normal. I'd like to think that I'm normal and that I wouldn't do this. I'd like to think that normal people don't become dicks so easily.

That's probably far more accurate.

Dryk

"She was asking for it"
etc.
Stuebenville's a really good case study for this sort of thing. Especially considering that the guy was welcomed straight back to the football team with open arms.

Never forget:
I've never experienced anything like it, Candy. It was incredibly emotional -- incredibly difficult even for an outsider like me to watch what happened as these two young men that had such promising futures, star football players, very good students, literally watched as they believe their life fell apart. One of -- one of the young men, Ma'lik Richmond, when that sentence came down, he collapsed. He collapsed in the arms of his attorney, Walter Madison. He said to me, "My life is over. No one is going to want me now."

Sianos

*chuckles* Damn PC police!

it's the people who cry the loudest about Political Correctness Gone Mad that also cry the loudest when they feel personally slighted or have had their massive cognitive dissonance prodded

i swear "political correctness" is a meaningless set of syllables masquerading as a phrase by this point

at this point it means "people are not letting me be mean to the outgroup and that makes me upset"

Stuebenville's a really good case study for this sort of thing. Especially considering that the guy was welcomed straight back to the football team with open arms.

Never forget:

Yeah, that shit was disgusting. People who probably considered themselves "good" were more concerned about the well-being of two rapists than of their victim.

This is why I'm not a nice person about this stuff

fedexpeon

Banned
There should, but the internet is international.

A US law on cyber-bullying does jack shit in Canada. Or England. Or Australia. Or anywhere else.

Then you have to define cyber-bulling. Is it for the thin-skinned people, who are devastated by "you suck"? Or is is lenient to the extreme?

Should be based on simple language just like if you are reporting an assault to the police.
If someone posts I will kill you, I hope you die, go die in a fire, go kill yourself, go commit suicide, I know where you live and will come by to burn down your house with you inside ect ect...
And if that person keeps harassing the victim to a breaking point, it is a clear stage of assisted manslaughter and cause of homicide.

Well, a lot of federal laws are like that. It doesn't mean anything internationally, but we shouldn't dismiss it since it is also easy to have a uniform law code if there is a similar law in another country.
And beside, we have relationship to request a person back to the States if bullying is the reason for a homicide.

Yoroshiku

Banned
The fuck? You witnessed a live murder?

I hope you're reporting it to the police or something?

Of course I didn't witness a live murder, that would have been insane. I may have poorly worded my post. The individual whose feed was being live-streamed was a notorious Gamergater that someone on Twitter pointed out had killed his sister over the circumstances I've mentioned earlier, and I have no reason to doubt the validity of that claim given what I know about Gamergate.
What you people have to understand is that all of the people who are directly or indirectly associating with Gamergate are serial-killer-material that cannot be trusted or negotiated with. If you've seen the Law & Order: SVU episode about Gamergate; that may as well have been a documentary. It exactly shows the mindset these ugly creatures bring into the world and the destruction they place upon anybody that doesn't 100% agree with their screwed-up ideology.
If you know a Gamergater in real life, I encourage you to look up their Twitter and other social media accounts and to report them to the police immediately if you find anything suspicious, because they are a threat to public safety. There has been a consistent pattern of rape and death threats sent out by every single Gamergater I have investigated. Gamergaters are zealots and need to be locked away.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Of course I didn't witness a live murder, that would have been insane. I may have poorly worded my post. The individual whose feed was being live-streamed was a notorious Gamergater that someone on Twitter pointed out had killed his sister over the circumstances I've mentioned earlier, and I have no reason to doubt the validity of that claim given what I know about Gamergate.
What you people have to understand is that all of the people who are directly or indirectly associating with Gamergate are serial-killer-material that cannot be trusted or negotiated with. If you've seen the Law & Order: SVU episode about Gamergate; that may as well have been a documentary. It exactly shows the mindset these ugly creatures bring into the world and the destruction they place upon anybody that doesn't 100% agree with their screwed-up ideology.
If you know a Gamergater in real life, I encourage you to look up their Twitter and other social media accounts and to report them to the police immediately if you find anything suspicious, because they are a threat to public safety. There has been a consistent pattern of rape and death threats sent out by every single Gamergater I have investigated. Gamergaters are zealots and need to be locked away.

Well you did say

Right on the front page they were actually live-streaming a white, young, rotund man who killed his sister

So I thought you witnessed a live murder o_O

neshcom

Banned

I hate GamerGate, but this is a balls-out ridiculous--more specifically, the unambiguous generalization that all GGers and everyone in the splash zone is a hair-trigger away from a raping, murdering holiday. This is a crazy overcorrection in countering GG extremism. I mean, shit, you believed that some random dude you were watching on a stream killed his sister (seemingly recently?) because you couldn't find a reason to not believe someone on the internet?

GamerGate is fucking shit, but this is clearly a couple clicks more nuanced than "they're all murderers waiting to snap." Between the majority of the threats that never came to fruition and the poor souls sucked up into actually believing (or just not aware) harassment is taking place, you're painting with too wide a brush.

Yoroshiku

Banned
I hate GamerGate, but this is a balls-out ridiculous--more specifically, the unambiguous generalization that all GGers and everyone in the splash zone is a hair-trigger away from a raping, murdering holiday. This is a crazy overcorrection in countering GG extremism. I mean, shit, you believed that some random dude you were watching on a stream killed his sister (seemingly recently?) because you couldn't find a reason to not believe someone on the internet?

GamerGate is fucking shit, but this is clearly a couple clicks more nuanced than "they're all murderers waiting to snap." Between the majority of the threats that never came to fruition and the poor souls sucked up into actually believing (or just not aware) harassment is taking place, you're painting with too wide a brush.

I have a question for you: Would you defend a Nazi?
You just have to realize there are people in our society that do not deserve to be treated with anything but utter disgust. Gamergaters are among those people, and if you disagree, I think you are enabling their behavior.

I think it's a problem that extends far beyond the gaming industry, but it's understandable why she'd home in on it. Large pockets of "Gamer culture" are perfectly representative of the behaviour she's talking about, and I'm not even sure if they are aware of it. There's a lot of rationalisation, politicizing, denial, and shifting of blame to not have to face the facts.

Ugliness of the last year or so aside, I think we've been making steady progress. I think as long as we continue to discuss it, continued progress feels inevitable. Even if people don't always agree with Anita or other public figures talking about it, I think we owe them a lot by virtue of not being silenced by the bullying and actual terrorism.

This is sadly enough a large part of the issue. When people think of "rape", they think an violent assault by a stranger in a park or dark alley, when most rapes probably happen at home by partners or dates without too much resistance. People know "rape" is wrong, but there clearly is a huge gap of ignorance on what the acceptable boundaries are. There is a lot we can still do to educate on this front.

You just have to realize there are people in our society that do not deserve to be treated with anything but utter disgust. Gamergaters are among those people, and if you disagree, I think you are enabling their behavior.

i would defend a nazi: martin heidegger. most important philosopher in a few hundred years

neshcom

Banned
I'm not going to indulge in your hyperbolic alarmism by comparing this to Nazism.
What I'm trying to impress is that there is a real subsection of GG that literally do not know what they've associated themselves with. So no, maybe don't turn in your friends to the police because they use a hashtag. Besides the fact that police already don't know what to do with real, actual threats, you're past the rubicon on thought-police territory. I don't have any respect for GamerGate at all, but I don't have much respect for a nuke em all strategy either.
People who are conspiring to send false bomb threats, SWATting, sending death threats and personal information scare tactics deserve the book thrown at them, but there's nuance for everyone else. I have no intention on calling the cops on the two dozen people who blew up my Twitter last month.

redcrayon

Should be based on simple language just like if you are reporting an assault to the police.
If someone posts I will kill you, I hope you die, go die in a fire, go kill yourself, go commit suicide, I know where you live and will come by to burn down your house with you inside ect ect...
And if that person keeps harassing the victim to a breaking point, it is a clear stage of assisted manslaughter and cause of homicide.

Well, a lot of federal laws are like that. It doesn't mean anything internationally, but we shouldn't dismiss it since it is also easy to have a uniform law code if there is a similar law in another country.
And beside, we have relationship to request a person back to the States if bullying is the reason for a homicide

I find bullying in any form disgusting, but neither of these are true. It isn't easy to have a uniform law code internationally (even if the name of the offence is the same) as their intention isn't to be completely consistent internationally. That's on top of the implications and accountability of internet actions still being poorly understood in legal circles. Extradition also requires a little more negotiation than just requesting, as a country with a different approach to the law might dig it's heels in if it feels it's citizen would be unfairly treated in a country where slight differences in similar laws and offences might mean a very different outcome (for example, if a conviction might mean decades in prison in the US with no parole but significantly less here).. This works both ways, don't assume that a 'relationship' means the US has some almighty power to force other countries to do what it wants. It doesn't work that way, it just means there is a more open line of communication and negotiation that may be able to ease the process rather than between two countries with less-similar values. No country is always going to be happy about other countries demanding that they hand over their citizens, and seeing as the US is rarely as helpful when sending their own accused citizens overseas to stand trial as they think a US citizen should be tried in a US court, there is little wonder why other nations are sometimes reluctant to do otherwise if they feel that the legal systems of various states are very different to their own in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom