• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamersyde Exclusive Halo 3 footage

Striker said:
Timing is what hinders.

Players will know when weapon X returns or when the overshield returns and immediately have a guy down there when it returns.

You think its fair if a team sits on a certain spot and simply load up on Sniper Rifles and Battle Rifles? I don't.

how would you do it then? making them not respawn doesn't work. doing that is like saying 'go ahead and camp' as there's not much reason to move anymore.

drop time doesn't work as if you run out of ammo in your power weapon, you pretty much control when it's going to be back, and if you don't die, you can make sure it never respawns. example: ascension ts, both snipes at small tower = win

the best way to do it is to place power weapons in exposed locations with timed spawns. basically like the os on creek. both teams have to come out into the open and fight for the os instead of setting up at a base.

Striker said:
Re: maps

Warlock? Probably the worst map on the game. Either remove BR's or make it all BR's. Midship has grown on me because of SMG starts. Feels a lot better.

have you ever played mlg ts or ctf warlock? it's fucking intense. no other map in the game takes more constant teamwork. it's pretty balanced too except for wacky spawns occasionally, but that happens on every map in halo 2.

NJ Shlice

Striker said:
Timing is what hinders.

Players will know when weapon X returns or when the overshield returns and immediately have a guy down there when it returns.

You think its fair if a team sits on a certain spot and simply load up on Sniper Rifles and Battle Rifles? I don't.

Then stop them from going to get the new weapons that are going to respawn. In Halo 2, Colossus. Grab Beam Rifle, go to Red Base, GAME OVER. That's not cool.

Striker

sixthsubset said:
how would you do it then? making them not respawn doesn't work. doing that is like saying 'go ahead and camp' as there's not much reason to move anymore.

drop time doesn't work as if you run out of ammo in your power weapon, you pretty much control when it's going to be back, and if you don't die, you can make sure it never respawns. example: ascension ts, both snipes at small tower = win
I liked how the beta was doing it.

The Spartan Laser, for example in High Ground, spawned only twice throughout the entire game. That's good. Halo 3's weapon spawn system is overmatching Halo 2's and Halo 1's.

have you ever played mlg ts or ctf warlock? it's fucking intense. no other map in the game takes more constant teamwork. it's pretty balanced too except for wacky spawns occasionally, but that happens on every map in halo 2.
Seeing how it would be MLG, there would be Battle Rifle starts. Other than Team Hardcore, it's simply SMG starts with normal weapons on map.

I still heavily favor Beaver Creek, Lockout, Sanctuary, and Midship over it. By far.

NJ x Falkor said:
Then stop them from going to get the new weapons that are going to respawn. In Halo 2, Colossus. Grab Beam Rifle, go to Red Base, GAME OVER. That's not cool.
Eh. If you have good players (full team) you can coordinate to stop them from demolishing you with that little area.

SpudBud

Doodlebug said:
Cortana playable character, kthx.
6803z3r.jpg

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
NJ x Falkor said:

Right. The problem with Halo 2's weapon spawn system was exacerbated by some strange design choices. Colossus, for example, has the one power weapon, but two distinct "bases." the result is that it's almost perfect for camping. It would have been a much better map if the sniper was spawned in each respective base and the sight lines into the corners were not as open, making the sniper have to venture into the open and giving attacking teams routes in that were not all death alleys.

I'm generally a trash sniper, but even I could sit back there and rack up kills. It's like Whack-a-Mole.

Good thing is that now with Forge, you could take the sniper out if you wanted. Or you could add counter weapons, more snipers, or even place cover on the map to give you a little more space to maneuver in without having to worry about spawning into a bullet trail.

Tzeentch

A true sandbox level that is blank and allows you to place actual buildings and machines would be awesome (Far Cry console style). I doubt we'll see it though, unless they've finally moved away from their style of building almost everything as bsp.

Tzeentch said:
A true sandbox level that is blank and allows you to place actual buildings and machines would be awesome (Far Cry console style). I doubt we'll see it though, unless they've finally moved away from their style of building almost everything as bsp.

That will be in Halo 4.

Blimblim said:
That's what happen when assholes use the torrent service. The first 2 finished their download simply stopped when they were done, they are not seeding.
Needless to say they are ip banned from the tracker.
do you just ban them based on them quitting right after or do you check their ratio?

cuz if my ratio is over 2.0 when a torrent ends, i usually close it.

(and it's usually over 2)

4xximaa.png

Striker said:
Seeing how it would be MLG, there would be Battle Rifle starts. Other than Team Hardcore, it's simply SMG starts with normal weapons on map.

idk what this means. you won't understand why warlock is totally radical unless you've played mlg, not team hardcore. thc is kids mashed together into a game running and shooting willy nilly and talking trash. warlock (and halo 2 in general) starts to shine when you've got 2 decent teams scrimming eachother with teamshots and callouts.

but yeah, warlock's a trainwreck in matchmaking. but i can think of a way to abuse pretty much every gametype in mm, whether it's through weapon control or camping.

Blim, I can seed for like another 20 hours, but then I have to come off. That should allow to seed the file fully like 2-3 times. Is that cool?

GhaleonEB said:
The scale of the environment at the end of the full video - around 17:40 through the end - is just immense.

[omghugeimg]
As much as I have been one to be skeptical of such comparisons to Halo 1, I must say footage like this certainly gives off that vibe (67% done with the HD vid :( ).

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
why can you shoot rockets on lockout inside a pile of snow to have the rocket come from the sky and kill you? :p

armubaba

On a different note, the Collector's Edition of Halo 3 has been spotted in the wild.

62p56bs.jpg

Looks very, very sexy. There's still a raging debate going on in my head whether to go CE or LE. It goes back and forth by the day, and it's getting to the point where I have to make the decision soon, or it's gonna be too late.

armubaba said:
There's still a raging debate going on in my head whether to go CE or LE. It goes back and forth by the day, and it's getting to the point where I have to make the decision soon, or it's gonna be too late.

LE. I'm heading up to EB Games around 9pm, just to make sure I'll get one of these rarities.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Sorry Cerrius, I am putting you on ignore, not because you're wrong, but because you're a bummer. A downer. A little black raincloud.

SpudBud

armubaba said:
On a different note, the Collector's Edition of Halo 3 has been spotted in the wild.

62p56bs.jpg

Looks very, very sexy. There's still a raging debate going on in my head whether to go CE or LE. It goes back and forth by the day, and it's getting to the point where I have to make the decision soon, or it's gonna be too late.
Leak Imminent....CODE BLUE.....Internet Access Shutdown Countdown...24:12:32.....24:12:29............

arhra

Both.

I am a consumer whore :(

edit: and that CE tin is probably a retail preorder standin, or similar (the big TBC-stamped BBFC cert logo being a big clue that it's not completely final).

armubaba said:

http://i15.tinypic.com/62p56bs.jpg[IMG]

Looks very, very sexy. There's still a raging debate going on in my head whether to go CE or LE. It goes back and forth by the day, and it's getting to the point where I have to make the decision soon, or it's gonna be too late.[/QUOTE]

We just had a thread guessing how long before it leaks. :lol

Dirtbag

Stinkles said:
Change the respawns in Forge.

On the whole weapons respawn thing.. I'm a good to better player than most, and I actually enjoy being outplayed on maps where a team gets control of weapon spawns. Its a strange thing, but I can actually appreciate it and the teamwork involved in controlling the map. But I do realize that few people do enjoy that. I'm def. a more competitive player, and can accept that most people can't stand the game balance flopping back and forth like that. But some of my favorite halo2 moments were those where your team is down and stuck with smg's only to outsmart the opponent and take back control (snipes/rockets) and go on to win.

That said, I can live with weapons respawning as its a pretty valid complaint to be totally dominated if they didn't respawn. It'll just be one more of the things that makes Halo3 the game it is.

Unfortunately (on the issue of forge allowing you to change weapon respawns), I'm not planning on being much of a forger as the ranked matchmaking playlists with unique opponents is where I get my kicks, and customs usually only hold my attention for so long. Anyways, weapon respawns are such a minor thing that I'm over it. I trust the decision is for the best, this will be the last time I bring it up.

StranGER

armubaba said:

62p56bs.jpg

ok woah woah....

the white at the top of the metal tin, please please please someone tell me that is just on the plastic the box is wrapped in??????

Halvie

Banned
it isn't clipping through the ground....there is a small hill there and the bottom is hidden by it

anymore fucking worthless digs you gonna take?

Dirtbag

StranGER said:
ok woah woah....

the white at the top of the metal tin, please please please someone tell me that is just on the plastic the box is wrapped in??????

h3collectors.JPG

Obviously a mock-up. But yeah.

So, will Saved Films change the way you play?

I think I tended to play a little snazzier in the beta, because I always planned on saving a bunch of good matches, recording them to VHS, and watching them every day for the next 4 months. There was always this voice in my head, "you're being recorded, Lamonster - make this awesome." So, nowadays I'm getting to know that 3 and a half hour VHS tape pretty well and I'm really starting to ache for the game. Hard.

I think the full set of features will make for an even stronger motivation in players to kick some serious ass. Because we're all being watched.

Blueblur1

The Lamonster said:
So, will Saved Films change the way you play?

I think I tended to play a little snazzier in the beta, because I always planned on saving a bunch of good matches, recording them to VHS, and watching them every day for the next 4 months. There was always this voice in my head, "you're being recorded, Lamonster - make this awesome." So, nowadays I'm getting to know that 3 and a half hour VHS tape pretty well and I'm really starting to ache for the game. Hard.

I think the full set of features will make for an even stronger motivation in players to kick some serious ass. Because we're all being watched.
I didn't need any inspiration. I already am awesome.

And seriously, what's with Halo 3 showing up at PAX? Luke and/or Frankie lied!

Top Bottom