• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamersyde Exclusive Halo 3 footage

FFChris

Stinkles said:
All I said was, I wasn't going to be there Saturday.

Well worded. Keeps us on our toes. :lol

Just watching the Guardian videos. It could be my imagination, but the game looks noticably more polished here than it did in the beta.

GhaleonEB

PaulRTC said:
Have you guys seen the videos of Guardian from PAX?

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/14275
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/14276

I'd recommend going full screen with these videos (diagonal arrow button at the bottom right of the player) so you can see what's going on better - their video player is actually smaller than the source videos' resolution.

It shows the firebomb in action - both being stuck to someone and thrown on the ground to create a temporary blockade of fire. You also see the flamethrower in action, the flare equipment being thrown (it's thrown like a grenade, so it seems we should be able to get some good distance on a throw, which is good), the sword (plenty of lunges occurred) and a plasma turret being detached and used as a support weapon. There's quite a lot of stuff here that we haven't before seen in videos in terms of weapons/equipment, in addition to the fact that we've never seen Guardian itself in motion. Oh, and there are birds flying around in the background - nice touch!

The players are using the names betaFrankie and Lukemz, but the commentator calls one of them "MNC Dover" at one point, and they don't seem to be very proficient (just like every other non-Bungie player we've seen in videos! - though not nearly as bad as the Sandtrap guy), so I think it's just random crowd members playing against each other. The crowd seem to react to what's happening on both screens while the video only shows one screen (the one playing as Lukemz) - I thought it was weird when they cheered as the Lukemz guy was just walking around with an AR until I realised the other guy had just picked up a sword or something. :p
For the new page. I was hoping there would be footage of this. The fire effects are pretty. :D

NJ Shlice

PaulRTC said:

That's doesn't look like CQB armor.
NoCQB.jpg

NJ Shlice

Gantz said:
So flame thrower are 1-hit kills?

It did look like he went down fast, but it was also point blank range.

Also,

The intervals between sword swings have increased. After you swing the sword, it takes longer for you to swing it a second time.

Guardian is most definitely not a remake of Lockout and more closely resembles a child that Lockout and Ascension made.

Firebombs = yes.

The sound was amazing throughout both videos.

PaulRTC

Yeah Falkor, that's definitely not the EVA or CQB permutations, nice catch!

As for the flamethrower, if you're talking about the kill towards the end of the first video, he seemed to be roasting for about one second at very close range before dying, which I think is about right. There was another death by fire half-way through the second video; this one was a firebomb and it killed very fast, I'm guessing it actually hit him directly.

Doodlebug

God, I can't stream these fast enough.

The game definitely appears to have more polish, apparent even in these low quality captures.

Lovin' the new sounds of the sword.

Chinner

Banned
Really like the video. Flame bombs and flame thrower kicks ass. Whoever playing isn't very good though. Ive got a bad feeling they've made the AR weaker though. It's a pretty useless assumption as he doesnt fire or kill someone with it, but it appears to be shooting faster but sounding kinda weaker unless its been so long since the beta that I've forgotten :(

Really amazing stuff; Guardian looks like it has even more atmosphere than Backwash did.

Shame about the quality of the video, but the game itself is looking fantastic. I wonder what videos of highly skilled players would be like.

FFChris

Photolysis said:
Really amazing stuff; Guardian looks like it has even more atmosphere than Backwash did.

I agree, the map just oozes atmosphere. I love the little touches, like the birds flying about in the air. Graphically, it looks much better than the beta, maybe it's the map (it's a bit darker), but the lighting looks a whole lot better and everything just looks so smooth.

Flame weapons look excellent, the enviroment look fantastic, the whole MP experience is just so polished.

Karg

Chinner said:
Really like the video. Flame bombs and flame thrower kicks ass. Whoever playing isn't very good though. Ive got a bad feeling they've made the AR weaker though. It's a pretty useless assumption as he doesnt fire or kill someone with it, but it appears to be shooting faster but sounding kinda weaker unless its been so long since the beta that I've forgotten :(

Based on the video I doubt that, whenever I saw them use the AR in either video they couldn't aim with it. Always ended up shooting walls and what not.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Karg said:
Based on the video I doubt that, whenever I saw them use the AR in either video they couldn't aim with it. Always ended up shooting walls and what not.

Well, it is spraylo after all. ;)

NJ Shlice

Chinner said:

No way.

A.) These guys were terrible
B.) They drowned the map with new weapons for the event. No way in hell you would play this map with all that firepower on it at once.
C.) The AR had that sound in the Beta. I wasn't a big fan, it doesn't sound manly enough for me. But I love how it fires. I really grew to love it by the end of the Beta.

Chinner

Banned
Karg said:

Yeah I know, thats why I said it was a useless assumption as they didnt really use it. Basically I'm a AR whore and I hope they haven't messed with it.

Karg

Chinner said:
Yeah I know, thats why I said it was a useless assumption as they didnt really use it. Basically I'm a AR whore and I hope they haven't messed with it.

Don't think I've seen anything in the updates about them tweaking the AR, seemed like the AR was balanced as is, I'll also hope it wasn't changed because its a welcome change from the ol' default SMG start from Halo 2.

PaulRTC said:
No, there are similarities but it's not him.

Wow yeah, it does look a lot like the ODST, sweet! Here's another comparison:

i7193_odstpermutation.jpg

Wow, gotta say - from the very beginning I've LOVED the idea of armor customization. I can only imagine the other cool permutations we haven't seen yet. :D

Proelite

That's the ninja armor, not the odst armor. Remember the 4 kinds of spartan helmets in the beta? This is the fourth one.

NJ Shlice

Proelite said:
Second one dude. lol

helmets.jpg

D00d, The Helmet in the PAX video has not been seen before. The second one from the Beta code is the helmet type that is in the background of the wallpaper Bungie released (seen on the previous page of this thread)

Fizail

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Proelite said:
Second one dude. lol

Nope, the crest is much wider in the video. Looks much more akin to the ODST pics then it does that beta code model.

Anywho, you really can see the Lockout DNA in Guardian, especially at the central area, but yeah, it's seems much larger and it's definitely it's own beast. I wonder if that is the standard weapon set that will make matchmaking. It seems like they just dropped one of each weapon on the map.

PaulRTC

Yeah, the one in the PAX video doesn't have such a prominent central extrusion atop the helmet, and the top outline of the visor in the PAX helmet is straight, while the 2nd helmet from the beta has an overlap from the top extrusion over the visor outline.

Edit:
I was distracted so much by all the new weapons/equipment the first time I watched the video that I didn't pay much attention to the map itself. I really like the look of the architecture, and there definitely seems to be a more gloomy atmosphere. The gravity jumps/lifts look cool too.

NJ Shlice

GhaleonEB said:
That's what it looks like to me as well. *melts*

I agree with your Melting.

I was an EVA guy from the start. But since seeing this guy, I love the sleekness. Not over the top like the CQB, Not as develish as the unannounced one from the Bungie wallpaper.

Kuroyume

Banned
The Guardian videos were hilarious. :lol People were cheering every time one of the players came across a new weapon, or an old favorite. That map looks like it will be an awesome slayer map.

RattleHead_ said:
A new gun?

"Another new weapon was an eccentric-looking gun that fired dart-like objects, which appeared to ricochet off walls."
Doubtful, uninformed observers ftw. Ready to be proven wrong though. :D

NJ Shlice

RattleHead_ said:
http://blogs.ign.com/IGNgoestoPAX/2007/08/27/64554/

Some Halo 3 pics (poor quality) from pax and a small writeup.

A new gun?

"Another new weapon was an eccentric-looking gun that fired dart-like objects, which appeared to ricochet off walls."

It was probably the Spiker.

The article also says "Among them was a sweet flamethrower that would roast anything nearby. Interestingly, the camera switches to a 3rd person view when using this weapon,"

:lol

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
RattleHead_ said:
http://blogs.ign.com/IGNgoestoPAX/2007/08/27/64554/

Some Halo 3 pics (poor quality) from pax and a small writeup.

A new gun?

Sounds like the Spiker or the Mauler.

Kuroyume said:
The Guardian videos were hilarious. :lol People were cheering every time one of the players came across a new weapon, or and old favorite. That map looks like it will be an awesome slayer map.

lol at the Plasma Pistol getting booed.

NJ x Falkor said:
It was probably the Spiker.

The article also says "Among them was a sweet flamethrower that would roast anything nearby. Interestingly, the camera switches to a 3rd person view when using this weapon,"

:lol
Yea I figured he might be talking about the spiker.

Top Bottom