• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games Journalism! Wainwright/Florence/Tomb Raider/Eurogamer/Libel Threats/Doritos

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Can you really get spoiled on an album, though?

SPOILER: Rihanna sings about a dude on this one
If it's a concept album, sure. They were pretty prevalent in the progressive rock/opera rock scene (Tommy, Quadrophenia, The Wall, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway).

But it's still a ridiculous thing to do, how can you make an accurate review if you've got restrictions over the things you can mention?

Gomu Gomu

https://twitter.com/MCVonline
This is hilarious.
KuGsj.gif

Fucking Twitter, man. I love how people seem to have forgot about that thing called "discussions" and having opposite sides to you. Twitter: Validating your opinions of yourself without the need for discussions or looking at the opposite arguments since 2007.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
MCVOnline said:
MCV ‏@MCVonline

It is true that Lauren Wainwright no longer works for us. She did not pass her probation. We wish her well.

Translation: She brought a shitstorm to us, we waited for the mess to die down then shitcanned her.

MCV, classy as ever.

Dyno

Ahahahaha.
2t8U7.png

You can't make this shit up.

The whole ugly facade is right there in print. If you give a game a 7 it is not a 'positive' score. Positive is 8 or higher, which implies that all else is negative. Who is making that decision and positive for who? Metacritic-beholden developers who work towards benchmarks and dividends? PR companies in charge of ensuring a game is rated as high as possible?

Why even come within a mile of all this convoluted nonsense? None of this serves the customer in any meaningful way. This is all inter-corporate wankery.

She was on probation when all this went down?

Well that doubly sucks for her that she screwed up so big and she wasnt even a permanent staffer yet. Those are the breaks though.

Only industry vets can get away with damaging the entire reputation of the games press like she did.

I am actually interested in seeing who would hire her next.

CVG maybe but I cant see any website who takes editorial seriously using her for a while.

I was wondering why this thread seemed active again.....christ.

I know its not GAF's policy but a topic like this should be a sticky topic on the forum. If people think the problem is done then we'll go right back to the mentality that started this to begin with.

Uthred

The childish celebration over Wainright getting sacked are just sad. It's not as if that's "problem solved". She was a sympton of the problem, not the cause.

I don't think MCV should really be flippantly tweeting who they fire.
Yeah they probably shouldnt be tweeting that stuff out like that. Keep it private and leave it up to her to tell people.

Maybe the twitter account is being controlled by another inept young games journalist / PR person who thinks they are doing the right think but dont see the mess they are causing.

Whoever is controlling that twitter account needs to stop.

The lack of professionalism from the people at MVC during there response to all of this has been astounding.

Your not going get jobs in PR doing crap like this guys.

The childish celebration over Wainright getting sacked are just sad. It's not as if that's "problem solved". She was a sympton of the problem, not the cause.

It's nice to see that when someone acts unprofessional and wears their ignorance like a badge of honour (like she did), they are held accountable for it.

It might just be that her getting terminated sends a message to the "journalists" laughing about this at the time that it's not a fabricated witch hunt with "yowling wolves scratching at the door."

Fuck her.

As an aside...completely unprofessional of MCV to tweet it but hey...it's an utterly unprofessional situation from the start.

They made a bad calculation. The way they worded it makes them look like asshats.

never said it was a good move :p

I'm seriously glad that this whole furor has lasted and will hopefully last past Wainwright's firing. Change can only happen when people get pissed off long enough to call people out on it and not just shrug it off

also this vvvvvv

Uthred

It's nice to see that when someone acts unprofessional and wears their ignorance like a badge of honour (like she did), they are held accountable for it.

It might just be that her getting terminated sends a message to the "journalists" laughing about this at the time that it's not a fabricated witch hunt with "yowling wolves scratching at the door."

Fuck her.

As an aside...completely unprofessional of MCV to tweet it but hey...it's an utterly unprofessional situation from the start.

She seemed to be a relatively junior writer who made some mistakes, but then poor advice from management and colleagues exacerbated those mistakes into the clusterfuck it is now. And lets be honest here, her gettig fired certainly does send the message that it was a witch hunt, she didnt get fired because of what she did, she got fired because a large vocal segment of the online gaming public made a fuss over it. The only "lesson" this teaches is "Dont get caught.".

Her getting fired means more or less nothing at all, celebrating it as a victory is stupid and taking pleasure in her misfortune seems childish. Might as well just ignore her.

Interfectum

She seemed to be a relatively junior writer who made some mistakes, but then poor advice from management and colleagues exacerbated those mistakes into the clusterfuck it is now. And lets be honest here, her gettig fired certainly does send the message that it was a witch hunt, she didnt get fired because of what she did, she got fired because a large vocal segment of the online gaming public made a fuss over it. The only "lesson" this teaches is "Dont get caught.".

Her getting fired means more or less nothing at all, celebrating it as a victory is stupid and taking pleasure in her misfortune seems childish. Might as well just ignore her.

Nailed it. Her getting fired means shit.

eh, it's just symptomatic of the whole high school hallway mentality of Gaming PR/Journalism. It's colossally embarrassing.

Codeblue

I agree that we should ignore her. The satisfaction doesn't come from MCV learning a lesson, the satisfaction comes from karma.

I'm certainly not celebrating it as a victory. Some of her responses during the thick of it suggested there was absolutely zero contrition on her part.

Like...none.

So the fact that she was/possibly inconvenienced by having to find a new job...yeah...I'm glad for that.

People in the public eye need to get smarter.

Maybe she'll be smarter from now on.

And yes! Don't get caught. I KNOW shady shit is going on and I KNOW it's not going to stop...but at least try to not rub our noses in it yeah?

Omikaru

Bingo!

I take no pleasure in seeing her fired. It's simply been a quick-fix for MCV, and they'd carried on with their bullshit before they even announced she'd been sacked. It's pretty obvious nothing's changed, and the Internet having this "scalp", or whatever, is not a victory in any way. It'd be better if all the rot was cleaned out, rather than some residual stuff on the surface, which is what this firing amounts to.

This isn't true at all, she lost her job because she was bad at PR(which is pretty ironic & fairly amusing). Why does no-one care about Dave Cook? He was mentioned in the original article but he very quickly killed the story (because he issued a mea culpa), Wainwright(either by herself or with external advice as has been rumoured) made herself the story whilst failing to understand the nature of the Internet, so she proved herself to be ill-suited for a role in PR (so it is perfectly understandable that MCV no longer employ her).

I really don't understand MCV, why don't they just keep their head down until it all blows over?

Now they have some crazy person controlling their Twitter account, re-tweeting every positive message they receive and publicising layoffs.

They're just making the situation worse, if it was my website I'd be furious - fortunately, I control my site's Twitter page so it's not a problem. :p

7.5 not being a positive score in itself is another problem with games reviewers.

This in particular is getting on my nerves quite a bit. It's not just reviews, but moreso audiences. In this day and age, a 8/10 is considered a semi-good game.
7/10 is borderline shovelware. I mean what the hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom