• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games not known for their high difficulty you found surprisingly hard

I don't know if the original Crash Bandicoot was considered hard as I never tried it, but currently playing through the remaster and FUCK ME!! Are you kidding me?? There are some atrocious levels in regards to difficulty.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Mirror's Edge

It took me just under 4 hours to do the story but it felt like I was playing forever. One part sticks in mind when I was trying to climb up a pipe but the character just wouldn't manage to climb it. Must've tried about 20 or so times. It could've been really enjoyable and some of it was but the controls were just awful. I was planning on playing the sequel but I'm not gonna bother. Maybe it has improved but I really don't have the energy to deal with that bullshit

Ori and the Blind Forrest.

this is what first came to mind.

everyone loves it so i wanted to see what the deal was. i found it difficult despite enjoying similar type of games. i was getting so frustrated because i kept dying and having to do the same parts over and over again. maybe the story is great but the gameplay was too much for me and couldn't enjoy it at all.

The final trigger event in Knight's Contract is IMPOSSIBLE. I tried it about 30 times - you always have to do the whole boss fight again. And I think I am rather ok at doing trigger events. Never had any problems with those in hundreds of other games.

Javier23

Banned
I don't know if the original Crash Bandicoot was considered hard as I never tried it, but currently playing through the remaster and FUCK ME!! Are you kidding me?? There are some atrocious levels in regards to difficulty.
First Crash was tough. The hitboxes and whatever may be messed up in some wa, dunno about that, but I feel most people are just blaming the sifficulty on it instead of themselves and that they'd have the same issues with the original game. 2 and 3 were a lot easier. Haven't played the remake.

Dragon Age: Inquisition

I think I had a fundamental misunderstanding of the combat system, and more importantly combining the correct skills and weapons. I played on easy mode, yet still had trouble in some areas. I was only able to defeat 1 or 2 dragons, though I recall reading some gamers having crazy (to me) builds where they were getting like 10,000 damage a hit.

To a lesser degree, I had similar issues with Dragon Age: Origins, and DAII. I think it might just be me not really understanding how to effectively build/equip, then use the characters in my party in RPGs of this nature.

I also had a hell of a time with FF13.

Skulldead

The first time i played Kingdom Heart at release....

i was surprise how much challenging the was for something target to a younger audience. They change that for the second, but it became mind blowing easy (before critical)

Got another, The first Atelier Iris game in the series on ps2, start as a really easy turn based RPG, then midway through the game, it's start to throw you like 4 insane brutal boss back to back. The final boss was really hard too.Atelier series was never challenging for most of the game, i was like, nice they decide to spice thing up, and at atelier iris 2 it became one of the easiest RPG i ever played....

Started Cave Story on Switch and I'm stopped at the second boss in the Desert area. I think I just need to practice the jumping a lot more, I keep expecting to be able to double jump and then end up fucking myself.

Mirror's Edge

It took me just under 4 hours to do the story but it felt like I was playing forever. One part sticks in mind when I was trying to climb up a pipe but the character just wouldn't manage to climb it. Must've tried about 20 or so times. It could've been really enjoyable and some of it was but the controls were just awful. I was planning on playing the sequel but I'm not gonna bother. Maybe it has improved but I really don't have the energy to deal with that bullshit

this is what first came to mind.

everyone loves it so i wanted to see what the deal was. i found it difficult despite enjoying similar type of games. i was getting so frustrated because i kept dying and having to do the same parts over and over again. maybe the story is great but the gameplay was too much for me and couldn't enjoy it at all.
I didn't love it either. Bounced off it pretty hard several times but came back and finished it. I genuinely think the game's difficulty doesn't do it any favours.

Timeaisis

Going back to A Link To The Past was quite the experience after twenty years of easy Zeldas. And yet, I remember clearing that in a weekend as a kid.

gelf

When people name "HARD" games, nobody ever says Sonic Spinball. Yet nobody has ever beaten the damn game.
I've beaten it several times. Best thing to do is earn as many score bonuses in the first level as possible to build up extra lives thus making later levels more forgiving.

Final Boss on Lost Planet.

Also, I played TLOU on Easy expecting a carefree AAA romp, but the game still kicked my ass a few times.

Shovel Knight. It's regarded as an easy game, but I suck at it. I always thought I was good at platformers. I lose a ton of gold everytime I play. I probably am not patient enough with the bosses and just try to attack them without learning their attack patterns.

Lkr

Mario 3D World

The main game is easy and then you unlock the bonus challenge worlds at the end and it becomes the hardest shit imaginable

MissChief

Redout on PC, got a platinum on WipEout, but this game is way harder than I anticipated :/ Can't remember any other game that I really struggled with ..

Brizzo24

Last of Us Remastered

I tried, unsuccessfully, to play the game on normal. I'm just not good at stealth portions, but I like em anyway. So I ended up playing and beating the game on easy. At times it felt just right, and others it was too easy. But i really enjoyed the game and glad I got to experience it from beginning to end.

Zack and Wiki was some real shit at times, then again that may be something most agree on, I'm just not sure.

I don't know why, but Pikmin 2 and New Little King's Story both come to my mind first.

I never beat either of these games (not the "New" LKS mind you, the original) so this combo is actually a good shout for me.

Or maybe I just suck at this brand of RTS/Action hybrid.

Kingdom hearts dragged my bitch ass through the dirt while donald laughed at me the when i beat it for the first time this year. I could not belive how hard it was, and this is coming from someone who loves and has played the souls games mulitiple times, but the final room before ansem nearly
Made me snap my controller in half. Those stupid flying heartless shits who just decimate your health bar. All i can say is thank god for tinker bell

Mirror's Edge

It took me just under 4 hours to do the story but it felt like I was playing forever. One part sticks in mind when I was trying to climb up a pipe but the character just wouldn't manage to climb it. Must've tried about 20 or so times. It could've been really enjoyable and some of it was but the controls were just awful. I was planning on playing the sequel but I'm not gonna bother. Maybe it has improved but I really don't have the energy to deal with that bullshit.

This is one of the main reasons I really, really liked Catalyst. The controls and difficulty felt a lot more polished and refined.

peppers

Resident Evil 6 is currently kicking my ass and it's not even in the second highest difficulty. I constantly mess up the controls and I don't even understand why.

Uncharted games before 4. The games weren't "hard" but that didn't stop me from dying a thousand times.

Yeah. I played 3 for the first time last week and the combat felt like it had a major difficulty spike 2/3 through the game. I still beat the game but there was a ton of trial and error.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Always found all the FE games pretty hard, even on normal, despite what serie veterans would say. I mean im a veteran too since i played them all

Weebos

Banned
I had a lot of trouble with the first Uncharted, even after kicking it down to easy.

No problems with the other three weirdly enough.

LordOfChaos

Shadowfall mostly because the level design sucked. Didn't finish it.

I had a lot of trouble with the first Uncharted, even after kicking it down to easy.

I only found it hard in that I often didn't know what the developer wanted me to do, where to go and what to press to make something happen, like jumping between pillars in the water but not knowing whether to go up or sideways. That kind of "die until you succeed" is the worst kind, because it's just because you didn't read the developer's mind, not because you lost for a good reason (like Bloodborne/Souls excel at).

Nilua

I am bad at videogames, so... a lot. But i've especially struggled with every single Metal Gear I played, regardless of difficulty level. My averages are waaay longer than whatever How long to Beat says.

Caronte

Darkest Dungeon, I know the game is considered a hard one, but I just die even on the easiest difficulty, no matter how much I read about the game, how handy the wiki is, I just explode and never got past hard dungeons.

Isn't the easiest difficulty basically the normal one but with less grinding? I read somewhere fights should be as challenging as the darkest difficulty.

Shadow of Mordor. I don't know what it was, I just could not play this game. No matter what I tried, I get rushed by a million guys and died right away. Timing the blocks and counters or whatever with the combat system, I just had some kind of mental block. Couldn't do it.

Caronte

Ratchet and Clank (remake). I had quite a hard time at the beginning of the game despite having played all the PS2 games. I did disable auto aim which might have made things harder but still, it was surprisingly hard for me. Ms Zurkon kicked my ass several times too.

As I got more weapons and learned to move during fights it got easier though.

Jharp

I had to stop playing Ni No Kuni because I was getting my shit pushed in by basic mobs that were my level.

I'm certain I must have been doing something wrong, but I have no idea what. That, or the game just expects me to grind and grind and grind and grind and grind and grind.

And I don't fucking want to.

If you're wondering, I got to Castaway Cove. Sucks too, because I was enjoying the shit out of the world and story and exploration. Maybe one day I'll go back and try to figure out what I was doing wrong.

Also had to stop playing Xenoblade X after about 50 hours and right after getting my first Skell, because the gear/equipment system in that game gave me a headache as is- so many different kinds of gear, the weird license system that unlocks better gear as you increase certain manufacturer objectives, the amount of money I was spending on making sure my party had what I thought was good gear, but still trying to guess whether or not it even was good gear, etc. Once I got the Skell and realized that the exact same equipment system appeared to also apply to every single part of the Skell, and the thought of having to manage that shit for every part member some point.... nah, thanks, I'm out. I just want to play your goddamn game, so please make it simple. I don't want to spend hours in different menus, comparing numbers, and figuring out the exact thing I need.

Much as I've come to start loving JRPGs (I'm playing FFXII PS4 and DQ8 3DS now and loving the shit out of each), the rather common trope of silly mini-systems that just suck time away from the game part can be rather annoying in certain games. Why can't I just have an armor type for the class that my character is, and an easy to understand path to good, better, and great types of that armor? Why does it have to be such a chore trying to figure it all out?

But like I said, baby JRPG fan here. I'm willing to accept that this is pure user error and misunderstanding on my own part.

But while I'm at it, the extremely common fetch quests in XBCX that gave you zero fucking indication on where to get the items that they were looking for got mind-numbing. The actual world, gameplay, and combat in that game were pure tits. Still looking forward to Xenoblade 2.

Viewtiful Joe

"Right I'm an adult now, let's pick adults"

Bosses were ridiculous button sponges, once I got to Fire Leo I youtubed to see how the hell it was done. Then I learned about the Red Hot 100. Tbh it kind of breaks the game

Toy Story (Genesis/Super Nintendo)

Considering the age group of the audience that saw the movie and wanted to play a Toy Story game, the difficulty really caught me off guard. It's a basic platformer, but there are so many frustrating aspects to it that I get a bit heated anytime I play it.

For starters, you only get 5 hit points, and for some damn reason, your HP doesnt refill when starting a new stage. If you took 4 points of damage and beat a level, you better be good at dodging or you'll immediately lose a life on the next one.

Speaking of lives, you have 3 to start with, with no continues. In order to get extra lives, you have to collect every star in a level. While this does promote exploration in a way, by the time you get to the later levels, you'll be getting hit by so many enemies and objects that you'll lose more lives trying to get a 1-up than you would just trying to beat the level.

Continues can only be gained from getting 300 or more stars in your total score. Given that there are exactly 50 stars per level, you'd have to get 6 "perfect" scores on the first 6 levels just to get 1 continue before the halfway point of the game. That's including the auto-scrolling "race" sections where you only have one chance to get the stars, as well as the Buzz boss battles where stars he drops can disappear in a second.

Then there's the problem with how the characters control. Woody basically has the Belmont jump, and his whipping can be a bit unresponsive at times (this is a bigger problem in the Super Nintendo version). What bothers me the most though is trying to grapple onto hooks with his pull string. It's way too short and often doesn't connect to hooks for swinging (which can be mandatory for progression at times). And dont get me started on the "driving with ice wheels on ice" slipperiness of the RC Car segments. Just awful.

The difficulty is also really uneven. The game starts off fine then hits huge difficulty spikes toward the middle (Claw Machine, Sid's Room, Scud), then goes back down to simple right after.

This is a game that requires alot of replaying and memorization to get good at, which is fine by me. It came out in an era where even the licensed kiddie properties were challenging, but it still caught me off guard back in the 90's and on replaying it a year or two back.

Top Bottom