• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games telegraphing story beats through level design.

Station42

Just finished playing through Uncharted 4. Really liked it, but the sense of dread when entering an area obviously full of "arena" elements is real.

It doesn't ruin the narrative, it ruins the "surprise".

But "surprise" obviously wasn't intended or the layout would have been different. Instead we get foreshadowing, something that's probably rarer in games than surprise. It's a different device but no less valid.

Nearly every cover shooter ever plasters waste-high walls everywhere with little effort made to disguise their purpose. It's not rare, nor is it intended as foreshadowing, it's just clarity of design.

In general, I don't mind them. Complaining about the aesthetic integration of waist-high obstacles in a cover shooter is like complaining about the practicality of air-brick placement in a Mario game. It's only an issue in story-driven games that are trying to be a bit more ambitious than Super Mario World.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
30.gif

Gee, I wonder what is on the other side of that teleporter :)

This Games isn't know for its story more it's shoot the crap out of everything. The game isn't really a narrative masterpiece.

Nearly every cover shooter ever plasters waste-high walls everywhere with little effort made to disguise their purpose. It's not rare, nor is it intended as foreshadowing, it's just clarity of design.

In general, I don't mind them. Complaining about the aesthetic integration of waist-high obstacles in a cover shooter is like complaining about the practicality of air-brick placement in a Mario game. It's only an issue in story-driven games that are trying to be a bit more ambitious than Super Mario World.

This is ultimately my point. I wouldn't single out Naughty Dog and The Last of Us if they weren't obviously trying to build something that transcends beyond just a video game.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
The solution of course, is to add even more waist high cover so that it saturates even the non combat areas. Then you'll never know.

SeanHollister

Neo Member
And for the PS1 games:
Real-time rendered door on pre-rendered background? Something's gonna bust through that.

This didn't go away after PS1! Dead Space. Every time you walk into a room with those goddamned vents -- which are always completely clean even if the rest of the room's covered in blood -- you know a necro's going to pop through.

Top Bottom