• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that respect the intelligence of the player.

-KRS-

They should start using difficulty levels as intelligence levels instead with hard meaning "I'll figure it out myself thankyouverymuch" and easy meaning "I'm dumb, please spoonfeed me everything and hold my hand through the entire experience."

Tex117

Banned
This generation...the Souls series takes the taco. (with the exception of the indie games)

Many older NES and SNES games did a good job of not holding your hand.

I always felt like Ico doesn't ask a whole lot from the player and manages to assist the player the right amount. Its puzzles aren't overly complicated but it doesn't rub the solution in your face either. Great pacing.

Honestly, Pushmo/Pullblox comes to mind also. Every new feature gets introduced and explained after a certain number of puzzles are completed once, but the game still leaves it up to your own devices to get to the goal and doesn't bother you.

Gustav

Banned
With the exception of maybe Zelda, Japanese games hold your hand way less than western games.

I get the idea that J.Blow doesn't actually play all that many games.

Also, it's easy to claim your game doesn't hold hands as much as somebody else's games, when your game is based on 2D platforming concepts that were created, refined, and made popular by Japanese games, and are essentially deeply ingrained in anyone picking up a controller.

You don't HAVE to teach people how to play 2D platformers. By the time they've played Braid, they've already played 35 games with that basic concept.

I get the idea that you have never played Braid.

alphaNoid

Banned
Witcher-2-Enhanced-Edition-Box-Art.jpg

RedSwirl

Honestly I think Japanese games this generation hold your hand a lot less than most western console games I've played, or at least do so in more elegant ways. Most Japanese console (and handheld) games I've played recently have had relatively unobtrusive tutorials and don't bombard you with hints messages.

One of the starkest differences I've seen has been with loading screens. I hate how every damn game has these ugly loading screens now with tacky tip messages plastered on. Most of the Japanese console games I've played this gen don't do that, and many of them actually have really stylish loading screens. Examples include Bayonetta, Shadows of the Damned, Catherine, 3D Dot Game Heroes, etc.

RedSwirl

I think we already had this thread using the same quoted material. Still, how can anyone not agree with Blow's opinion on this particular matter? I can't, as I've long-bitched about the lameness of modern games' insulting attempts to ease new players while treating them like kindergarteners with little critical thinking skill and zero patience. The average game tutorial can be some of the most uninteresting first experiences with a new game, IMO, and often acts to sap color and wonder out of the game world they all spend so much money and time building. Going forward, though, since I know the trend of lazy teaching sessions won't stop anytime soon, I'd like a check box or option at the start of a game that allows me to skip or prevent the start of any of these constant assaults on the player experience, but include this information on-demand in-game (from a pause menu) and not outside of it available only on the front menu.

This. Right here. This is how older console games used to do things. You could typically gleam instruction from talking to characters, reading signs, or reading a codex. If you wanted that information, you could instantly get it, but if you preferred to figure things out yourself, you could just ignore the tips.

I've actually started turning off and skipping tutorials in modern games that let me, but so many games these days are unintuitive to the point where you have to sit through the tutorials and tips to have any clue how to play them. That's the worst part.

Muffdraul

One thing that really chaps my hind is when a game puts you in an environment where clearly you *could* fall off the edge of some structure if you're not careful, but they put an invisible wall there so you can't fall no matter what. Fuck that. Let me fall if I suck. If you're scared to penalize the player for it, fine, but at least let them fall.

kingkaiser

I'd like to see the faces of young Gears fans playing the first village scenario in RE4.

Where are my chest-high walls?!
WTF? melee is not insta-win?
I can not shoot while i run? What is that shit?
*decapitated by chainsaw man*
This game is archaic and shit! *rage quit*

Unicorn

See, I don't understand why DMC couldn't keep the same combat system, but do a better job at teaching the player how to play. When I tried playing the first one way back when, I got stuck at the spider boss at the beginning and gave up, and haven't touched the series since.

I like a lot of the stuff about the series, and have enjoyed those aspects when they've been put into other games that didn't completely destroy me for not immediately understanding them.
Unfortunately I was exactly the same. I was able to struggle through a bit further in DMC 3 (the worm boss?)

Fucking how do I do what I'm supposed to?

Mr_Zombie

I think that Valve is pretty good at teaching you how to play the game without telling you how to play the game.

I love how in L4D (the first one) the opening movie is basically a tutorial. Everything you need to know about game's mechanics is told to you through that one sequence:
- it introduces you to the main cast
- it introduces you to the Witch and how she reacts to light and noise (there's even a witch theme playing in the background)
- it shows you the wave mechanics and that sometimes, if you're careless, a loud noise might attract zombies' attention (a huge wave of zombies comes after you)
- every type of the main infected appears in the intro along with their basic attacks: witch, smoker, hunter, tank
- it shows you how a pipe bomb works
- it shows you all types of basic weapons and attacks you can do (machine gun, gun, dual pistols, shotgun and pushing enemies away)
- it shows you that sometimes you will have to help your teammates to pull over

The moment you start playing the game, if you didn't skip the opening, you already know basic mechanics.

sp3000

Crysis 1 is the least hand holding FPS I can think of.

The first level drops you into the ocean and let's you figure out everything from there.

Derrick01

Banned
I would say most older PC games, say from the 90s and early 2000s, fit this well.

More recently Dark Souls. That game doesn't tell you anything man. I'm trying not to use a guide but for certain things like weapon progression and other non-walkthrough stuff I pretty much have to otherwise I'd never know about it.

Mr_Zombie

I'd like to see the faces of young Gears fans playing the first village scenario in RE4.

I love how in RE4 Hunnigan sends you playing manual only after you reach the village; by the time you enter the village you already had to fight with several Ganados, pick up ammo, reload your weapon etc. :lol

Anth0ny

This!
It also explains why so many hated it. I guess mindless item collecting is more entertaining for the masses than being forced to think creatively and finding own solutions in a video game...

Or... Banjo fans wanted Banjo Threeie?

N&B wasn't a bad game, but it definitely wasn't the game the fans wanted after 8 years of waiting for a new console Banjo game.

Also, BK/BT are far from "mindless". There is a ton of creativity and freedom in collecting jiggies and the other items.

Kinyou

I already mentioned it a few times in different threads, but I really liked the "argument" scenes in Deus Ex Human Revolution. You didn't solve them through trial or error or by selecting the blue/red option; you solved them by choosing the most logical arguments.

Mr_Zombie

You don't HAVE to teach people how to play 2D platformers. By the time they've played Braid, they've already played 35 games with that basic concept.

Uhm, you do know that Braid is a game with time-based puzzles first and foremost, and not a simple 2D platformer, right? And that each world changes mechanics a little bit? So no, the basic concept is not known to the player.

Dark Souls. Only game I played this gen that doesn't treat the player like a complete idiot. I feel like it's a game designed for real grown men.

botty

Banned
This!
It also explains why so many hated it. I guess mindless item collecting is more entertaining for the masses than being forced to think creatively and finding own solutions in a video game...

People hated it because it wasn't a true BanjoKazooie game...

I can list a few, but for the sake of brevity I'll just take 2 examples from 2 separate genres that have lately become very good (maybe too good) at this kind of thing.

Europa Universalis (Rome/3): If the tutorial works, it only gives you the know-how to start a game. The sophisticated strategies are almost completely all yours to develop and no scenario/country offers a single guaranteed path to success.

Evochron Mercenary/X3: The reason for the "maybe too good" statement above.

Seems like trying not to suck up to the "we want more of the same" crowd is a real bad idea nowadays.
People wanted a proper sequel. That doesn't mean it has to be exactly the same as the first two games, but it does mean it has to be consistent with the rest of the series. (Exploring, controlling banjo and kazooie and using their moves to do some of that exploration stuff, a little platforming, etc)

What we got was Nintendo not making Mario galaxy and instead saying Mario Kart is the future of the entire series.

Anyway! Demon's/Dark souls is the obvious answer. Valve also does a great job.

I found this interview with Johnathon Blow to be very interesting for a couple of reasons. But the part I found most interesting, is the section about games that respect the players intelligence and time. This starts around 4:02, in the video.

He singles out Japanese games a little, but I wasn't wanting that to be the focus of the discussion.

Link

Text for people unable to check out videos.

I wanted to discuss games that treat players as if they're intelligent. Games that don't constantly hold your hand and allow you to discover things for yourself. I think that just recently, a game like Journey is a great example. You learn the fundamentals simply by playing and experimenting. I appreciate that not every game can afford to do this, of course. I think an MMO or Flight Simulator, without tutorials and explanations would be disastrous. But I think for genres like Adventure games or Horrors, it's important.

Discuss away. What modern games do think are the best examples? What games do you think are the worst?

Demon's Souls is the poster boy for this, but I feel alot of its effect was muted due to its 4-years-into-generation debut. The frustration level of many console gamers had been tempered to expect to understand everything, do nothing unless prompted or guided, and not to relish learning and self-betterment itself. So then you have DeS treated like some dark goatee-wearing Anti-Modern Game Design Rebel threatening a glorious new status quo of good feelings and rainbows or whatever.

The worst? Take your pick of any game this generation; odds are good you'll land on a game whos dev team failed utterly at the art of TEACHING a CONCEPT and instead deevolve into straight out telling the player what to do, when to do it, and even why. The worst of the worst don't even deem fit to let you do something unless you've sat thru a tutorial bashing it into your feeble skull before letting you even use it.

Speaking of that, it's funny how on one hand the article in question touts treating the players MIND with respect, but also the player's TIME. If a game is that good, especially long runners like MMOs and Fighters, guess what? You're getting more of your money's worth! You ain't gotta buy so many games!

Besides, if a person is sitting down to play a video game and they don't feel it "respects their time", they hopefully have had their affairs in order beforehand anyways and would probably end up watching TV or the net (at least I do this). They talk as THAT GAME took valuable waking hours away from their Noble Prize-winning cancer research or some shit. I'm just uncomfortable with this calculation, as it comes off from hearing it so much like someone off-handedly trying to spin blame for the game either not being in their wheelwell or them not putting forth any effort to like it completely on the devs themselves rather than it being a bad match.

WTF is this shit? Do all these indie devs just play Skyward Sword and then use that to comment on Japanese games as a whole?

He's an intellectual fraud. $10 words and alot of bravado is a solid stand-in for intellegentsia leadership in this often sophomoric industry. Remember, kids, nice guys finish last in the hoi polloi indie scene!

Besides for ever Fi, there's 10 ego-coddling, talk-down, kindergartner's field trip to a war zone AAA single player mode doing just as much idiocy. Then again, those ain't in direct competition for Indie dollars so...

beastmode

I really wish Rare would've just made Nuts and Bolts its own IP that way people could just think of it as its own awesome game instead of having to go crazy over how much they want Banjo-Threeie.

Where are my chest-high walls?!
WTF? melee is not insta-win?
I can not shoot while i run? What is that shit?
*decapitated by chainsaw man*
This game is archaic and shit! *rage quit*

Don't forget the reminder to reload which is an on-screen prompt of the button you need to push.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

I guess compared to RE5 and GeoW, but still, it's pretty handholding early on as well as QTE abundance. I like ammo management from that game though.

I already mentioned it a few times in different threads, but I really liked the "argument" scenes in Deus Ex Human Revolution. You didn't solve them through trial or error or by selecting the blue/red option; you solved them by choosing the most logical arguments.

While I'll say that the logical/correct arguments tend to be the obvious ones especially after reading the character's info in the screen, it is a step up from Bioware's dialog tree.

The village in RE4 is so brilliant. Without any kind of tutorial, that single encounter will harden the player and prepare them for the rest of the game. It's not easy, but you will absolutely come out of it a better player than you were going in. My single favorite encounter in all of gaming.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I think I should expand on my favorite example, Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria.

The only tutorial part of the game is optional - simply saying how attacks work. The game then just leave you to your devices. When a new mechanic pops up, like skills from equipment or sealstones, they just give a textbox. It really shows that they want the player to experiment on the games, and really, the players who mastered the game create really fun battles and attacks that net wondrous rewards.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Nobody remembers playing fucking Hacker for the first time?

Shit where's the old dude Gaming board?

leroidys

Heartily agree with the Shadow of the Colossus and Witcher callouts, but I'll add one that I would rank above SotC in this department:

Kqd0f.jpg

Ico tells you nothing. No "move L Stick to rock cell," no "make your way up to the cage," no "use the stick to attack the shadows," no "press X to jump," no nothin'. You have to discover every single thing Ico can do all by experimentation and through cues in the level design, and it works flawlessly from start to finish. The game is an absolute triumph of design.

Yep. Just figuring out how to grab yorda out of the first pit she gets dragged into is a great moment. It immediately tells you the core mechanic of the entire game through an action. She's getting dragged off and you know that nobody's going to save her but you, so fucking get to it!

The game tells you how to save by having yorda go sit on a couch, how to climb simply by dangling chains in your face. No tutorial ever, and it's brilliant.

I would generally much prefer be lost for 20 seconds then condescended to for 3 minutes.

Mael

HOLY SHIT!
I just saw on the Egoraptor video that you can actually cut the trunk of a boss using a special weapon! Just blew my mind!

ThankeeSai

Most recently for me, Witcher 2.

I love the lack of hand holding, the fact that you actually have to use your map in certain situations and can't just place markers etc.

Fantastic game and probably my favourite of this year so far.

Top Bottom