• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that were not finished at all

Kuramu

Willy105 said:
That was a great part. You wanted a dungeon in there?

Yeesh, dungeons are my least favorite part of Zelda games.

Dungeons are your least favorite part of Zelda games? Trying to imagine this... can't

Yeah, I expected to have to work for the pearl or whatever the thing was, not just have it given to me.

952026b.jpg

The tearing was so severe it looked as if my TV got ripped apart. The framerate was alright during most levels, but things got really, really bad during the Kinshasa mission. I swear it must have reached single digits at some points. Just ridiculous.

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
But the five named dungeons in WW do feel like full and real dungeons. Which ones do you consider real ones, anyways?

While I haven't played it myself, I hear King Kong is a major perpetrator of this. The beginning of the game is amazing and theatrical but just kind of suddenly ends.

Personally, I only felt that there were 2 real dungeons in Wind Waker.
Maybe OoT spoiled me.
But after 3 dungeons as a kid and then 6 as an adult, there was a lot to live up to.
The first 3 felt like, again, the warmup, as you do with child Link in OoT.
Then there were 2 spectacular dungeons.
And then the game was over. :|

danmaku

ClivePwned said:
"I need another half hour, dammit!"

92459245.jpg

:lol

Touchè. But if you think about PoP 2008, how could you say it was rushed? It's simple and easy because they wanted it to be so.

Lux-Pain has to be included in this category. I'm not sure how a game that was literally halfway localized made it to the shelves. I think Google Translate would have done an equivalent job. Someone had to have played the game before deciding to package it right?

It's a shame really. I think there was a fairly decent adventure game beneath that dreck.

DigiMish

miladesn said:
Cncgen-win-cover.jpg

Command & Conquer Generals, there are tons and tons of cut content: voices, units, buildings, missions, lots of unused AI scripts (AI is a joke in this game, they obviously didn't have time to finish it), lots of unused unit models complete with animation and sound, lots of removed abilities, even factions. fortunately all of that was left in game data files and community have used them in various mods.

Most of the content was back in Zero Hour, the expansion pack.

beje

Banned
Quadrangulum said:
I think Google Translate would have done an equivalent job.

Oh god, I just reminded that horrible horrible spanish translation for FFVII (that was in turn translated from the "engrish" version). It was something like dump text to file -> translate text with with ZERO references and an overall ability to overlook idioms, jokes and false friends -> slap it back into the game -> shelves.

It granted hilarious scenes where female characters would speak or be referred to as males, or strange constructions where you had to double translate back (spanglish -> engrish -> actual spanish) to understand like "party" being translated as "fiesta" (as in "birthday party") instead of "grupo" or "equipo" (team).

Patryn

I forgot the most obvious one: Big Rigs. I mean, Jesus, the game didn't ship with the opponent's AI! The other truck just sits there.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Shig said:
Not necessarily the gameplay, but the environments in that game [Godhand] are despicably basic and lazy. Aside from texture resolution they feel like bad PS1-era relics.
Strummerjones said:
I don't think you've understood this game.
Admittedly I never finished it, but unless you're saying that houses being made up of about 8 polygons was revealed to be a vital part of the villains' evil plans, I don't really see how there is a point to misunderstand. There's a gross inconsistency between the quality of the character models and the quality of the environments, I'm not saying it destroys the game or anything, but it doesn't look good.

Veritas_

Another example from PC-GAF.
Day of Defeat: Source.
33jpq86.gif

Shipped with 4 multiplayer maps (Avalanche, Anzio, Donner, Flash).
All the textures, models, and sounds looked like they were beta placeholders. Player models especially looked unfinished. Tons of content from DOD 1.3 was cut - bleeding, greasegun, G43, Airborne/Fallschirmjager etc. Lots of little bugs such as sniper rifle animations showing the full reload cycle even if you fired one bullet, holes in maps, exploits in maps, one player model per team.

It was a budget ($20) title sure, but it felt extremely half-assed. Thankfully, Valve has since put out a number of updates and the modding community has produced some fantastic work, so it's a better experience now. But the core gameplay still feels off. Strong accuracy penalties and one-shot rifles encourage slow cautious gameplay, while headshot magnet smg's promote run-and-gun. It's an odd mix, and very difficult to get used to.

I sound harsh, but that's because I've loved this game way before it went retail. It's hard seeing a favorite franchise get this sort of treatment.

Oh, and the player arms models. Oh god the arms...

jay

God Hand is better than your favorite game. Because you like graphics a certain way doesn't mean the game isn't finished.

Quadrangulum said:
Lux-Pain has to be included in this category. I'm not sure how a game that was literally halfway localized made it to the shelves. I think Google Translate would have done an equivalent job. Someone had to have played the game before deciding to package it right?

It's a shame really. I think there was a fairly decent adventure game beneath that dreck.

It's hard to tell how much of the plot making little sense is due to translation. The game reads like how I expect Japanese to read, incredibly dense, confusing, the words only sort of hinting at what they mean. Actually, it was kind of like reading the Trial.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Soul Reaver 2.

I played it for the first time a few weeks ago and holy crap. I'd roughly estimate that there's about a third of the intended game there.

The sad thing is, it's not the missing third from the first game, in which you confront Kain and gain awesome power over time and space and kick Turel's ass and tell off the Elder, and sound the Silent Chapel and kill all of vampire kind or anything. No, it's basically several frustrating hours of somewhat diverting 3D puzzles and gothy exposition (masterfully delivered though!) and combat that, baffllingly, is less interesting and fun than the first game. The first game had this open world thing going for it that's completely missing in the 2nd one as well, it's very linear. No exploration, no optional power ups, no boss fights, and you can essentially skip most of the combat in the game except when they pull the whole inexplicable locked doors/energy barriers deal.

Lost Worlds has an amazingly thorough examination of all the things cut from the Soul Reaver games.

http://www.thelostworlds.net/SR2/index.html

Q8D3vil

KOF XII... ugh

Where do I start?

Online play being completely broken would be #1. Roster was small and the folks who were there seems to have less moves than they ever have in a KOF. No boss. No feeling of anything other than a game that felt like a beta. I paid $60 for this.
yup
my friend bought it for 80$ ( week early ).
xiii looks fantastic though :D

IlludiumQ36

Gears of War (1) - Seems as there should be another level between escaping the Fenix mansion and the train - at the very least, a cut scene explaining what has transpired. Light Mass bomb? Where did I get that thing?

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PC version) - the beta was more like an alpha. The release was the beta.

Shig said:
Admittedly I never finished it, but unless you're saying that houses being made up of about 8 polygons was revealed to be a vital part of the villains' evil plans, I don't really see how there is a point to misunderstand.

It's done for two reasons. One, it's a low budget game. They had to maximise their time, and therefore money, on the areas that counted. This happened to be gameplay.

Two, it's a deliberately post-modern game. It rejects the idea of meaningful narrative in a videogame, precesely because it's impossible to have anything that isn't pointless nonsense in a game that consists of nothing but hitting people in the face. Everything in the game is tongue in cheek sillyness as a result.

The way the levels look are an extention of this mindset. What's the point of having elaborately detailed environments when you cant do anything with them? In most games the levels are just empty pieces of geometry tarted up to pretend there are they for something more than just to railroad in where you go. Godhand rejects this pointless illusion and treats them just as uninteresting barriers. Because that's all they are. It even lets you see through walls if they are blocking your view so as not to get in the way of the combat, which is the entire point of the game.

The clues are the things like the daft fruit bonuses harking back to the likes of Pac-Man. As with that game, pretty much everything in the game is there for a purpose, if it doesn't have a purpose it isn't in the game, or has minimal attention spent on it. The bottom line is that Godhand had the balls to straight up tell you it's a videogame, and people hated it for it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Lots of people quoting Ninja Gaiden 2.
Could you explain why? (Never played)

And yes, KOFXII hurts... its like Sagat scar for me. :lol

Rapstah

Veritas_ said:
Another example from PC-GAF.
Day of Defeat: Source.
33jpq86.gif

Shipped with 4 multiplayer maps (Avalanche, Anzio, Donner, Flash).
All the textures, models, and sounds looked like they were beta placeholders. Player models especially looked unfinished. Tons of content from DOD 1.3 was cut - bleeding, greasegun, G43, Airborne/Fallschirmjager etc. Lots of little bugs such as sniper rifle animations showing the full reload cycle even if you fired one bullet, holes in maps, exploits in maps, one player model per team.

It was a budget ($20) title sure, but it felt extremely half-assed. Thankfully, Valve has since put out a number of updates and the modding community has produced some fantastic work, so it's a better experience now. But the core gameplay still feels off. Strong accuracy penalties and one-shot rifles encourage slow cautious gameplay, while headshot magnet smg's promote run-and-gun. It's an odd mix, and very difficult to get used to.

I sound harsh, but that's because I've loved this game way before it went retail. It's hard seeing a favorite franchise get this sort of treatment.

Oh, and the player arms models. Oh god the arms...
It was a hidden early Team Fortress 2 beta, nothing more than that. That is literally what Team Fortress 2 would have been if they had released it with HL2 like they intended at one point.

Seanspeed

Banned
Forza Motorsports 2, while immensely fun, felt quite lacking in content. Turn 10 admitted they didn't get to do nearly as much as they wanted with that one, which kinda supports the fact that in a way, it wasn't a very complete game. Biggest problem was the lack of tracks, which was not a problem in the first one, and was corrected with Forza 3.

And I think Forza 3 has its share of things that were a bit 'rushed' as well, but overall, it'd be quite unreasonable to say it isn't a complete game, cuz its got an insane amount of content.

Veritas_

Rapstah said:
It was a hidden early Team Fortress 2 beta, nothing more than that. That is literally what Team Fortress 2 would have been if they had released it with HL2 like they intended at one point.

Yeah, it's seems really obvious now looking back how the player classes were so specified to their roles, etc, that it was a trial run of sorts. I get the same feeling from L4D -> L4D2.

Sir Johnny

Neo Member
Just among the recent Wii games I can name The Crystal Bearers, No More Heroes 2, Rabbids Go Home and, last but not least (for now), Red Steel 2.
All of these games are technically good but have some gameplay issues, may it be bad camera, bad level design, bad implementation of mechanics, bad storytelling, pointless sequences, unbalanced progression, unpolished elements, or who knows what. All things that in games for other systems the developers would at least provide a patch or DLC for.
One feeling they likely inspire is that, concerning their development, the budget they were started with was not the same they were finished with, and, moving aside the whole financial thing, there still is a huge discrepancy between the time spent to develop these games (the crystal bearers...how much did it take? Four years?) and the quality of the final product. How that time was spent...I wish I knew.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Datrio said:
Final Fantasy VII

There are deleted scenes (
one from the beginning of the game and one from the ending
), deleted areas ( ), some theories that the ending of the first disc should be completely different, deleted key items, and MANY other stuff.

Final Fantasy XIII

Looks like there are deleted areas here, as well.

Wow, I've never seen that FF7 hidden scene outside Seventh Heaven but I'm glad it was deleted. Why is Cloud already talking about going after Sephiroth? That doesn't make any sense. There's no indication after Mako Reactor 7 that Sephiroth is even a character in the game.

danmaku

Fersis said:
Lots of people quoting Ninja Gaiden 2.
Could you explain why? (Never played)

It's not a bad game (hell, it's still one of the best action games of this gen) but it's clearly not as polished as the first one:

- bugs & glitches (after a couple of patches the game still crashes every now and then)
- atrocious slowdowns when there's too much stuff on the screen or the game is trying to load another portion of the level. It gets worse the more you raise the difficulty level, and this is awfully bad because NG requires split second precision to get out alive from Master Ninja mode.
- difficulty is all over the place. And I'm not saying it's too hard, it's inconsistent (stages 1-2 on Mentor are much more difficult than 5,6 or 7).
- weapons are unbalanced. The Lunar Staff is overpowered, while the Kusari-Gama is worthless because its UT sucks.
- projectile spamming on Master Ninja is ridiculous. It basically forces you to use only a small portion of your arsenal because almost all moves have too few invincibility frames.

I still love it (about 100 hrs of play and still I'm not tired) but it's frustrating to think what could've been.

garth2000

I'd have to go with Codemaster's Damnation.

I gave it a rent and finished it. To be honest, the game had a tonne of potential if it were polished.

There were huge stretches in some levels where there we're *no* battles, even though you would walk into some sort of area that just screamed for a big gun fight. It would have cover spots and everything, but it would just be empty.

Too bad really. It had a PoP meets Gears vibe going for it.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Y2Kev said:
Wow, I've never seen that FF7 hidden scene outside Seventh Heaven but I'm glad it was deleted. Why is Cloud already talking about going after Sephiroth? That doesn't make any sense. There's no indication after Mako Reactor 7 that Sephiroth is even a character in the game.

Yeah in that case, its clearly editing not "zomg look at this unfinished game lol"

I noticed that everyone is mentioning modern games i.e. games from the last 10 years. I came here to post this:

cv2.jpg

Wow does that game feel broken. Let's list shall we.

• Dungeons - Not only are they badly designed, not only do they have bosses you can skip entirely (looking at you Death), but invisible floors? WTF?!!
  • Towns - I don't care what anyone says. It's not a bad translation. They just didn't know what they hell they were doing when they programmed it.
  • RPG elements - If the past 12 years of IGA have proven anything, it's that RPG does not belong in Castlevania.

Frankly, there's a reason that Castlevania III dropped all that stuff and went back to CV 1 style.

Personally there's only 3 good things that came out of that game. The Box Art, Simon's look, and Bloody Tears. Hell even the story is novel. Shame it couldn't be attached to a better game.

Radius

Xenosaga Episode III was kinda unfinished considering there was a major part of the plot missing (i.e. the entire year between Episode II and III was communicated through a database).

And Drakan The Ancients' Gates (PS2) didn't finish the plot at all - Surreal shouldn't have left the ending open if there hadn't been a deal on a sequel.

Willy105 said:
Here's the low down with this game:

This game is emotional. It's mindblowing. It's heart-wrenching. The music moves you. The graphics and detail are phenomenal for a Wii game.

But, the game is almost unplayable. So much artistic talent, but the game itself seems to be halfway finished. It controls terribly, loading times are bad, and the build quality of the game ruins what would have been one of the greatest games Sonic Team has ever made.

It's tragic.

oh ffs, i hate when i hear this about games.

but still, i think im gonna get it as i can find it for <£5 now. Reminds me of the feedback of Fragile. Still want that too.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Starfox Adventures (final fight is missing)
Wind Waker was clearly unfinished, rushed in the end and the quest for the triforce was used to fill the blanks.
Golden Sun (duh)
Halo 2
Too Human
Ridge Racer 7
Assassins Creed
etc

Generally all the games that are planned as a trilogy (or after the success of the first one, they decide it's a trilogy, so the second game is screwed), all rushed games (to meet som console launch) and most of the games that are delayed forever with scrap everything/start again cycles.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Lijik said:
IIRC, they actually had more game to it but after playing Wind Waker and really disliking the exploration, Ancel decided to streamline the game to cut out most of the exploration elements. I guess the time they spent doing that took away from the ending which did feel really rushed.

The fuck? Ancel has shit opinions confirmed.

Brera

Banned
GregLombardi said:
I disagree. I do not feel that Wind Waker was finished. It would have reached Ocarina levels if they had just set up hyrule to be investigated.

Completely agree.

Probably the best and worst section of any game ever! I played for hours thinking this was just the start and something epic was coming and then we got to return to Hyrule and I was salivating at Next Gen Cell Shaded Hyrule that was on par with a link to the past.

What I got was just the best feeling of nostalgia ever.

I've hated Nintendo since!

soldat7

comedian said:
Demons Soul- Would have loved to been able to go the Northern Lands.

"The Northern Lands were once home to the race of mighty giants. They lived in relative peace with the rest of Boletaria, until the thick, colorless fog swept in and blanketed their domain. The Northern Lands were the first to succumb to the spread of Demons, and in an effort to contain the madness, Boletaria sent hundreds of thousands of its finest knights to the great kingdom to fend off the threat. The effort was for naught, and the Archstone connecting to this land was later destroyed as a last-ditch attempt to contain the chaos. It did not succeed."

Source

That's just a tease and something to bolster the backstory. Demon's Souls was a very 'finished' game.

everyone said:
Wind Waker

I'm disappointed to hear Wind Waker mentioned. I'm playing it right now and so far it's 10x the game that Twilight Princess was.

bhlaab

I'd love to play the REAL metal gear solid 2. Pretty much the entire second half of the Big Shell chapter and two or three of the bosses had to be cut for time.

Then huge chunks of the ending sequence had to be stripped out because of 9/11

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts.

Numerous inconsistencies and a rushed credits sequence are the big indicators here. Also, the cut level. (Weird West)

Still the best game in the series, though.

Vamphuntr

On the RPG front Saga Frontier and Xenogears are exemple of games being unfinished.

Like stated in the thread Saga Frontier seems to have a lot of content cut. Blue's ending is one of the worse in RPG history. Basically you beat the final boss and the screen freezes then the words the end appear on the screen. Lute's chapter was also dumb. You talk to this women in the port town then it's a one way trip to the final boss :lol . It also seems there is no way to get the gift for evil magic. One mystic start with some evil spells and that's it. The combination system felt half baked. Some skills can be combined with each others. By combining I mean seeing their respective animation either all at the same time or in quick sucession of each other. You don't even get a specific name for your combo :lol . They had a better system in Romancing Saga 3 with the unique fusion spell you needed to cast using specific formation.

Xenogears second disk seems unfinished because the way the game changed on the second disk. You cannot free roam anymore, the game warps you to each dungeon after you complete them until you reach the final dungeon where you finally regain the ability to free roam again. The plot between events is also told by that character sitting on a chair. It's weird, it felt incomplete in some way. Did they run out of ideas for transition events between area so they kinda warp you from a dungeon to the other?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Already said but KOTOR II was just disgraceful.

EctoPrime

Hybrid Heaven (N64) seemed that almost all of the voice acting got cut. Why bother with recording it at all if it was only to be used on the start and end scenes.

Odrion

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
Quite the opposite. MW2 mulitplayer was finished, and then left in the oven too long which in turn burned and ruined the whole thing. The "chef" then added way too many ingredients to try to fix it but used no measuring tools, so spice was overpowering salt, and sugar overpowered both of those.

...:D

And don't get me started on the gelatin exploit.

OnPoint

Wind Waker is a big one for me.

Putting aside the feeling of let-down when I didn't get to explore underwater Hyrule (someone mentioned it was never really in the plans, just something that would have been fuck-awesome), it really DID feel like there was a shortage of dungeons.

I still loved the hell out of it, but instead of being THE Zelda game, it was just another Zelda game.

Vamphuntr said:
On the RPG front Saga Frontier and Xenogears are exemple of games being unfinished.

Like stated in the thread Saga Frontier seems to have a lot of content cut. Blue's ending is one of the worse in RPG history. Basically you beat the final boss and the screen freezes then the words the end appear on the screen. Lute's chapter was also dumb. You talk to this women in the port town then it's a one way trip to the final boss :lol . It also seems there is no way to get the gift for evil magic. One mystic start with some evil spells and that's it. The combination system felt half baked. Some skills can be combined with each others. By combining I mean seeing their respective animation either all at the same time or in quick sucession of each other. You don't even get a specific name for your combo :lol . They had a better system in Romancing Saga 3 with the unique fusion spell you needed to cast using specific formation.

Xenogears second disk seems unfinished because the way the game changed on the second disk. You cannot free roam anymore, the game warps you to each dungeon after you complete them until you reach the final dungeon where you finally regain the ability to free roam again. The plot between events is also told by that character sitting on a chair. It's weird, it felt incomplete in some way. Did they run out of ideas for transition events between area so they kinda warp you from a dungeon to the other?

Ran out of time or money. If they had their way, it might have been 3 disks, probably.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Radius said:
Xenosaga Episode III was kinda unfinished considering there was a major part of the plot missing (i.e. the entire year between Episode II and III was communicated through a database).

And Drakan The Ancients' Gates (PS2) didn't finish the plot at all - Surreal shouldn't have left the ending open if there hadn't been a deal on a sequel.

Nope XS III was definitely finished. With the series killed off by II's shitty sales and bad reception, it needed to close up in just one game and they somehow managed to do that.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
bhlaab said:
I'd love to play the REAL metal gear solid 2. Pretty much the entire second half of the Big Shell chapter and two or three of the bosses had to be cut for time.

Then huge chunks of the ending sequence had to be stripped out because of 9/11

Eh, some of the stuff in the original script was pretty dumb imo. Fighting Solidus on a boat racing to Manhattan? Fighting a Harrier on the George Washington Bridge? Using a Mantis Mask to hear what characters are thinking? I'm not complaining that this stuff is silly (I don't mind wine-drinking Fatman or water-running Vamp, for example), it just doesn't seem like it'd work from an aesthetic viewpoint. And also I'm not sure it was a HUGE chunk of the ending sequence. Maybe an actual crash scene and a news report near the end IIRC but it's not anything terribly necessary.

If MGS2 could be reworked in any way, I'd rather have a script more appropriately localized rather than expanded upon. Script sucks, broseph. About the only change that would be cool is Snake fighting Ocelot while you fight the final boss. Now that would've been pretty darn cool.

bhlaab

Sub_Level said:
Eh, some of the stuff in the original script was pretty dumb imo. Fighting Solidus on a boat racing to Manhattan? Fighting a Harrier on the George Washington Bridge? Using a Mantis Mask to hear what characters are thinking? I'm not complaining that this stuff is silly (I don't mind wine-drinking Fatman or water-running Vamp, for example), it just doesn't seem like it'd work from an aesthetic viewpoint. And also I'm not sure it was a HUGE chunk of the ending sequence. Maybe an actual crash scene and a news report near the end IIRC but it's not anything terribly necessary.

If MGS2 could be reworked in any way, I'd rather have a script more appropriately localized rather than expanded upon. Script sucks, broseph. About the only change that would be cool is Snake fighting Ocelot while you fight the final boss. Now that would've been pretty darn cool.

Well for example all but 2 of the struts in shell 2 are inaccessible and 90% of the cutscenes are long codec conversations instead of, well, cutscenes.

ColdSoup

Neo Member
Kotor 2

I don't know what happened with the game's development but Ugh. What a mess. I recently bought and played the game with some of the restored content and Kotor 2 is the very definition of unfinished. There are numerous glitches from the sound cutting out completely to freezing, to having corrupted save files that ruin games. The games pacing is terrible. Terrible level design for many levels. Levels that go on for too long. The difficulty curve in the game is unbalanced. The first dungeon is one of the worst I have ever played in an rpg.

The story for Kotor 2 is frankly, terrible (Especially after playing Torment). Its incomplete, and at some points seems to be nonsensical and honestly somewhat pretentious. Two of the main antagonists (who I wont spoil for people who haven't played) in Kotor 2 are some of the most uninteresting, poorly written and shallow antagonists I have come across in recent memory (for an rpg). The main cast is far from being fleshed out. And Before the halfway point they run out of new dialog options, back-story and decent character interaction.

The characters are simply not developed enough and come off as rather one-dimensional. The only saving grace of the cast and the game for me, is Kreia. And even she isn't fully developed.

Top Bottom