• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that you *think* only you on GAF have played

firemen_2.png

The Firemen

just bought it not too long ago, although its Firemen 1 for the Super Famicom.

Fraeon

A text adventure called Hirmus Sisalisk. Made in QBasic and it didn't even have a proper parser, just simple lists of prompts.

Retro

I'm sure I played Windows version of the game. Not sure if it was Glider Pro or Glider 4.

Glider 4.0 was available for Windows. Same gameplay, but the house layouts couldn't be as extravagant and there were no outdoor areas. In some ways, it was the purest form of Glider, before they added stuff like helium, gathering stars, etc. and the art deco 20's farmhouse style was at it's peak.

It's the second game in the series (the first being a black & white shareware game, the third being PRO). Definitely a great game if you can still find it, despite being.. 16 colors.

Hoarr

Neo Member
My brother worked at Blockbuster whenever I was younger, so I managed to get my hands on both of these "exclusives" once they stopped renting them out.

tumblr_m3m3orUzi31qzl7f5o1_1280.jpg

Final Fight Guy for the SNES -- The game gets rid of Cody and replaces him with Guy. Everything else was pretty similar to the original Final Fight for the SNES, with the exception of different beginning and ending sequences.

tumblr_m3m3psL4XQ1qzl7f5o1_500.jpg

I don't remember much about this one, except that I really enjoyed it. 3d platformer where you played an egg.

gravitypower1.png

Gravity Power for the Amiga. Came free on a coverdisk with Amiga Power, me and my friend probably played this more than any other game I've owned.

Are You Afraid of the Dark: the tale of orpheo's curse

Also, any and every DOS game, like Indy 500 and Grand Prix. And Hugo's House of Horror.

I've played all of these. I used to treat Indy 500 like Burnout crash mode and see if I could cause chain reactions to take out every car on the track.

xcAm9.jpg

2D Platformer
Got this for my 9th birthday and was like "the fuck is this shit" before even playing it. Pretty good game in the end although way to hard for me at the time.
Came to post this!

Excellent game! Very very hard NEVER beat it in my life but still have the game.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I mentioned this in my Obscure PS1 games thread but no one acknowledged having played it. Though I have heard mention of it (I think) on the Retronauts survival horror episode. This was sort of a Resident Evil clone, even though aesthetically it shared almost nothing. It was pretty bad.
I played it, came close to finishing it. I thought the sidekick, Pipo, was pretty neat.

yarden24

Not me but my friend played this game and was obsessed with it; I have never heard anyone else mention it before:

640463-dink_box_1__large.jpg

pretty sure I played this one, looks really familiar anyway, did it handle really poorly and you hit stuff with a sword? think I finshed it actualy

Another was Pandamonium for Sega Saturn and PS1

4132.jpg

pandemonium-12.jpg

man I used to love that game for the PS1, was it actually any good? or was it just me bieng a kid?

Dear god yes. Me and my friend tried staying up all night to beat this. Never did.

neverhood2.jpg

The Neverhood, inventive, funny, puzzling and my first romp into P&C adventure games. The music was fucking awesome.

pretty sure the Neverhood was really popular at the time actualy

My go-to example for this kind of thing is always this

Heroes_of_Might_and_Magic_-_Quest_for_the_Dragon_Bone_Staff_Coverart.png

also, this was pretty good

14517-bumpy-s-arcade-fantasy-dos-screenshot-title-screens.gif

I actually did try the first heroes of might and magic at some point, only played them extensively from the second one though, I loved bumpy!

How about those '80's Disney-Licensed Sierra adventure games? Not obscure, but I wonder how many of you guys played these. We had them on all the Tandy computers at my elementary school. For me, these games really felt like open world games at the time. I could go wherever I wanted!

Just found out that all three of these gems were created by Al Lowe.

mickeyspace4.gif

Mickey's Space Adventure

7652-WinniethePoohInTheHundredAcreWood.jpg

Winnie the Pooh in the Hundred Acre Wood

donald%20duck%20playground%201.gif

Donald Duck's Playground

HoosTrax

Not me but my friend played this game and was obsessed with it; I have never heard anyone else mention it before:

640463-dink_box_1__large.jpg

I loved the soundtrack to the point where I actually e-mailed the creator to find out which classical piece of music one of the tracks was based on.

Esura

Banned
I know of no one who played this game.

summoner_frontcover_large_jFiAcG3F0qPD1sm.jpg

It was my first western made RPG and made me realize that not every RPG from western developers is weak compared to those from Japan. It was the FFVII of WRPGs for me.

ZMSBJ.png

Crystal Caves for DOS
This quickly became the game that I sunk the most amount of time into when it first came out. I really loved this game, for some reason. Lots of fun gimmicks such as dark levels, upside down levels, etc.

My wife played and loved this along with:
CCAFPA1o3.jpg

She was apparently a big Apogee game fan, as she was also a big fan of the Commander Keen games. She had no idea until today, though, that they were all made by the same company. Her mom got them in a bargain bin on separate occasions. Go figure.

Games in this thread I've played:
Ring of Red
Pocket Bomberman
Bomberman GB (Anyone here ever play Bomberman Quest? Thought it was a bootleg or something for a long time.)
3D Dinosaur Adventure
Chulip
Shadow of Destiny
Starship Titanic
Aqua Aqua (I've played more Wetrix, though)

Games some of you might have played:
Iggy's Reckin Balls (N64)
Legend of Kyrandia (Windows 3.1)

Games I'd be surprised if anyone's heard of:
Backroad Racers (DOS)
TRhm7.jpg

(So bad, just look at this dude's ebay pictures of the box)

Yobi's Basic Spelling Tricks (Windows 3.1)
55Eqd.jpg

Man, screw those rhinos.

Alice in Wonderland (CD-I)
pWTAU.jpg

5 minute game you should go play right now for a laugh:
OMGWTFOTL
ArcT3.jpg

GENUFLECT!

Zeal

Banned
Victor and Vector Yondo: The Cyberplasm Formula.

If you want an amazing adventure game series, this is it.

My friend lost a bet against me yesterday. The penalty for him losing is to play and finish Raven Squad. I think he wants to die.

I had a narrow escape since mine was to play and finish Alone in the Dark.

Make him play it on the hardest difficulty. Its the only way to properly punish him.

Lemming

If anyone's played these two obscure point & click adventures, I'll be pretty surprised;

wrath of gods + lost eden + iron helix (someone posted a while back)! COMBO!

Loved wrath of gods. I remember it being actually funny, could be that I only like 10-13 by that time.
The videos with only the mouth/eyes moving were awful through, even by those day´s standards, heheh.

I remember finishing Lost Eden and never really understanding the history. The last part was on a really freaky place, with spirits or something ? No idea.

And Iron Helix! I remember that the installer had a dino eating a man and I thought I was installing the wrong game, since I actually got both helix + jurassic park for xmas at the time.
Loved the atmosfere of that game. Scanning, reading logs, and generally being scared by that damn robot :)
Great, great memories! Thanks for sharing those! :)

Brera

Banned
Exhumed on the PC. I found it preowned in a charity shop that closed down a few weeks after I made the purchase, never seen it sold at retail anywhere.

I assumed it was a port of the outstanding Sega Saturn game (also known as Powerslave) - a multi-level nonlinear exploration-heavy ancient Egyptian/alien themed first person shooter.

After running it, I discovered that aside from the title screen and soundtrack, it was a completely different game. The incredible level design, exploration elements, non-linear progression, all gone. Instead it was a shallow poor Doom clone with Eqyptian-themed textures.

I think I'm the only one who played this shite PC release of a fantastic console game, and I'm glad.

I think you had your Sega Zealot rose tinted glasses on.

Exhumed was shit full stop on console and PC. Also, it was originally a PC game....

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
eXISp.gif

EAMON, an amazing text-based RPG platform that had numerous adventure modules that ranged from epic fantasy to Star Wars to modern day comedy.

You can play it and nearly all the modules made for it here.

eOdtC.png

MBx6Z.png

Power Bots, which seems to have been called Mega Bots some places. It was a weird game on a grid where you jumped from room to room and found robots who would sometimes be friendly and sometimes be enemies. If you saw them make a move for their weapon, you had to shoot them, but there were four types of robot legs, and the legs determined which weapon you had to use to kill them. You could only carry two weapons, so it was entirely possible to find an enemy you couldn't hurt and had to back out of the room to escape and find another way around to the goal, which was a power cell. Friendly robots would give you hints as to where it was. You had very limited power reserves, and if you ran out, game over.

dOipc.jpg

Surprisingly long, covers multiple books in the series. As a kid I had only been exposed to the film, so when the story kept going after the incident with the Wicked Witch of the West and the Wizard's departure, I was pretty surprised.

MZyfL.gif

SExE3.gif

Conan: The Hall of Volta. Viciously hard platformer with puzzle elements. Took me forever to figure out how to finish some of the levels.

b3b0p

Star_Wars_Super_Bombad_Racing_boxart.jpg

I can't believe even I played this.

Rented it and returned the same day claiming the disc didn't work. It was so bad that it was bad, not good.

b3b0p

I know of no one who played this game.

summoner_frontcover_large_jFiAcG3F0qPD1sm.jpg

It was my first western made RPG and made me realize that not every RPG from western developers is weak compared to those from Japan. It was the FFVII of WRPGs for me.

I played it. I liked it alot.

Gameboy415

PS2 - Trapt
PS1 - Beyond the Beyond
NES - Dino Warz
NES - Kickle Cubible
PS2 - R.A.D.
GBC - Pocket Bomberman
PS1 - Floating Runner
PS1 - Heart of Darkness
SNES - Uniracers
Dreamcast - The Ring: Terror's Realm
Dreamcast - Floigan Brothers
SEGA Saturn - Baku Baku Animal
SEGA Genesis - Goofy's Hysterical History Tour
Dreamcast - Time Stalkers/Climax Landers
PS1 - Guardian's Crusade
GC - Gotcha Force
SEGA Saturn - Three Dirty Dwarves
PS2 - Legend of Kay
GB - Mercenary Force
PS2 - Dragon Rage
PC - Lost Eden
PS2 - Chulip
PC - Avoid the Noid!
GB - Bomberman GB
GC - Beach Spikers
N64 - Beetle Adventure Racing
PS1 - Galerians
I also have the sequel and DVD movie!
PC - Scrapland
PS2 - Chain Dive
PS1 - Poy Poy
PS1 - The Firemen 2
I also have the first game on Super Famicom. :)
SEGA Genesis - Rocket Knight Adventures
SEGA Genesis - Bubsy
Dreamcast - Omikron: the Nomad Soul
N64 - Iggy's Reckin Balls
CD-I - Alice in Wonderland

I've played/own/have owned all of these games. :)

pic857167_md.jpg

I really doubt anyone has played this gem. The toy store I bought it in when I was 5 or 6 (24 years ago) just closed last year :(

Oh wow! I had one of these as a kid!! Cool stuff. :)

Here's my list of stuff I doubt many others have played:

Famicom Disk System (JP) - All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros - official hack of SMB
Famicom Disk System (JP) - Kaetta Kita Mario Bros. - remix of original arcade game
Virtual Boy (JP) - Insmouse no Yakata - bizarre first person horror game
Super Famicom (JP) - Danquest - action-RPG
Super Famicom (JP) - Gunman's Proof - Wild West action-RPG
Super Famicom (JP) - Marvelous: Another Treasure Island - puzzle-RPG that looks a lot like Zelda: LTTP
Super Famicom (JP) - Rejoice - hip hop action-RPG
Super Famicom (JP) - Yam Yam - odd shooter similar to Yoshi's Safari
N64 (JP) - Mario no Photopi - odd photo-editing "game"
N64 (JP) - Rakugakids - interesting 2D fighter from Konami
GameCube (JP) - Dragon Drive: D-Masters Shot - Panzer Dragoon clone based on the manga/anime series
SEGA CD - Bouncers - Basketball game where you are the basketball!
SEGA CD - PANIC! - one of the funniest point-and-click games ever made
SEGA 32X - Amazing Spider-Man: Web of Fire - ultra rare Spider-Man game...it's pretty crappy
PS1 (JP) - Gamera 2000 - surprisingly good Panzer Dragoon clone with full-English cut-scenes!
PS1 (JP) - Goo Goo Soundy - basically DDR with custom soundtracks
PS1 (JP) - Slap Happy Rhythm Busters - very unique fighting game with rhythm-game-style super moves
PS2 (JP) - Kuma Uta - teach a bear to sing Japanese folk songs....yeah, it's weird
PS2 (JP) - Project Altered Beast - 3D sequel in the Altered Beast series. Also released in Europe, I think.

Gattsu25

Banned
My wife played and loved this along with:
CCAFPA1o3.jpg

She was apparently a big Apogee game fan, as she was also a big fan of the Commander Keen games. She had no idea until today, though, that they were all made by the same company. Her mom got them in a bargain bin on separate occasions. Go figure.
Oh shit, I remember this!! Awesome game

Wok

OVHaN.jpg

odd choice? well its never listed in any of those Gaf hidden gems threads, which is wrong, and its never listed in any of the great soundtrack threads, which is also wrong, so clearly nobody played....or they are dumb ;p

I played the demo on PSX. What was great was you could input cheat codes and it really unlocked new equipment and monsters in the demo!

Here's another one I'm not sure anyone here has played:

564761_45776_front.jpg

It was easily as broken as the worst Sierra Games offenders and the jokes were lame, but still.

Played it. I've loved adventure games since I was a kid. I was more into Sierra than Lucasarts, actually. And yeah, Sierra was bad as far as missables go. (Ever play Police Quest I? I played it several times and it wasn't until I got the hint book that I realized there was even a meeting at the beginning of the game, because I went into another room first.)
And yeah, Les Manley games were worse than Sierra ones, with worse humour - masturbation jokes ahoy! - but they were still playable. Search for the King was probably the better of the two.

So you're not alone.

gotee12

I don't think many on here have played this NES game called "Dino Warz"

It's B^) and had the best title music :p
Such an awesome game. I kept the Dynowarz poster from an issue of Nintendo Power up in my room as a kid...
This Poster is Full of Pure Awesome said:

I'll submit...

Godzilla for the NES said:
Godzilla_NES.JPG

I sunk serious time into defeating Ghidorah and his goons.

Macross M3 for the DC said:
m3box-front.jpg

My first import game. Cost me $90.

Space Taxi for the C64 said:
22580.png

The first game I ever truly became addicted to.

Reknoc

Sentient PS1

It was a rather interesting first person adventure game. You were sent to work on a space station, but it's about to get hit by a solar flare or something. I don't think I ever managed to complete the game, mostly thanks to the dumb timed maze dream sections. That and the space station was all kinds of confusing to navigate.

I think in the NES & Genesis days I played a ton of weird games that I rented. Some that were really terrible.

But, I don't know how many people played:

Codename_Eagle_cover.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codename_Eagle

The only reason I played this was because BF1942 demo/beta came out and we all wanted to play it my freshman year of college but basically nobody's computers could run it. The flying engine in BF1942 was built off of this glitched up and broken game, and so I went out and bought it from some online site and then made copies of it so that we could play it on lan at school.

It never really worked because it didn't work on Windows XP and only certain versions of Windows 98... like the original Win 98, not Win 98 SE.

I'm sure others have played it but it's one of the only games I can remember playing in the last 15 years that might be sort of less known because it was a commercial failure.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtUrwcRF0PA

Top Bottom