• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that you *think* only you on GAF have played

chrislowe

What about these:
m7sBK.jpg

Time Soldiers for the Sega Master System
I loved this game even if it was hard as fuck for no necessary reason. I took this game and the Master system with me on a family vacation where we stayed at my aunt's house. She said there were demons in them and took them both to the garage and destroyed them with a hammer. I never did get to beat this game.

[/QUOUTE]

I LOVED Time Soldiers :)
Cant remember it being hard to beat, but then again i was a kid back when i finished it :)

im even so mad that i will say that this is the best version of the game ive played!.-

1326859120-00.jpg

This game was so awesome, but a victim of the crappy platform it was on. I always hoped that 3DO would port or remake it on another system when they went third party but alas, it was not to be.

Gattsu25

Banned
I LOVED Time Soldiers :)
Cant remember it being hard to beat, but then again i was a kid back when i finished it :)

im even so mad that i will say that this is the best version of the game ive played!.-
Yeah, my memory might be colored by the fact that I never got to spend as much time with the game as I would have liked; I was not given the opportunity to master it.

I enjoyed the shit out of what I did play, though.

Retro

mbCFT.png

Unless you owned a pre-OSX Mac in the 90s, you probably never heard of it. Even if you did have one, you may have been too busy playing whatever arcade classic Ambrosia software had ripped off and charged $25 for. If you were lucky, you played some Exile or Realmz too.

Glider PRO was the third in a series of "Glider" games in which the player must guide their paper airplane, room-by-room, through an obstacle course comprised of common household objects. The glider cannot gain lift on it's own, and must use floor vents or candles to gain altitude (being careful not to set yourself on fire with the latter). Solid objects like tables, dressers and cabinets kill you, as will landing on the floor.

KZ9mL.jpg

The paper theme was carried consistently throughout; extra sheets of paper were extra lives, rubber bands could be shot to defeat enemies, knock over grease jars or hit distant switches. Tin Foil became armor. Batteries could be used for a speed boost. Clocks (which used the system clock to maintain accuracy, calendars did this as well) gave you extra points.

Enemies included paper helicopters, Dart gliders and balloons. There were also paper shredders, toasters, fishbowls with hungry fish, basket balls and quite a few others.

kfF3B.jpg

What makes GliderPRO stand out, and what has allowed it to maintain a cult-like following that continues to this day, is the powerful "House Editor" that was included with the game. Players could create their own obstacle courses, choosing the room type, layout of furniture, and puzzles. They could also add custom room art or objects, which allowed some intrepid players to completely change the setting (one house, for example, was a castle made entirely of custom art). The amount of time I spent designing my own house and having people play it well outpaced the amount of time I actually spent playing the actual game. This, more than any other experience in my youth, is what made me want to get into game development.

sEyso.jpg

Glider also had a lot of charm; it has serious Art Deco styling, a sort of Middle American identity. It had some catchy music to boot.

Something about the cleverness of flying a paper airplane, combined with all of the design choices that fed into that decision (office supplies as power ups, household goods as hazards, etc) just made it stand out, and it remains unique amongst games even today.

It also helped that this and Marathon never ever ever ported over to PC when they were relevant: this is one of the few gems that Mac owners could call their own.

Here's a crappy quality video, but you can see the basic gameplay, hear the music, etc;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndrlCbR-ZSo&feature=player_embedded

Alright, where are my old school Mac Gamers (lol) at?

Jme

And i raise the stakes with some amazing and obscure MacSoft FPS games! They went to town with these with the Marathon engine

1344621-primetarget_large.png
prime_target__9.jpg

Prime Target was awesome as a more realistic shooter among the Marathons and Duke3D's

They also made Damage Incorporated:
Damage_Incorporated.jpg

and the only thing i can remember from it was that you could load ACID AMMO into a shotgun :D

Anyone play these?

Hahaha yes! I am a lifelong mac user and as such missed out on loads of PC games but have experienced TONS of obscure mac games :)

Damage Inc is amazing but I hated the head-bobbing first person.

Other mac games I spent too much time playing: Power Pete, Nanosaur, Weekend Warrior, and all of the MacPlay/MacSoft ports like Fallout, Descent, id games, etc.

Edit - Oh man how could I leave out Glider!

Lyude77

Lucky Luke for the GBC. I see a YouTube video for it, so I'm obviously not the only person who has played it, but it seems obscure to me. I'm sure other people played Car Battler Joe for GBA, though that was pretty obscure too.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt this was the original box, but its the only picture of the cover I can find:

1137703572-00.jpg

Played this a lot on our old Windows 3.1 computer. I'm sure the disc is still floating around somewhere.

hqdefault.jpg

My sister and I played this a lot when we were younger. And when I say that I mean mainly her. But I do remember it. Learnin' games when you don't know you're learnin'.

Also my contribution is Eternity's Child.
rNlZt.jpg

It's not that I don't think anyone has played it, I just hope no one did because it is terrible. Very very bad. Do not touch.

bengraven

Going through my GameFly history of roughly six years. I really have no idea why I rented at least 25% of these.

Aeon Flux
America's Next Top Model
Arena Football
Beat City
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Charlie & the Chocolate Factory
Chase: Hollywood Stunt Driver
Cold War
Dead Head Fred
Driver 76
Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Flipnic
Imagine Babyz Fashion
Imagine Party Babyz
Madagascar
Naughty Bear
Pariah
Predator: Concrete Jungle
Professor Heinz Wolff's Gravity
Rango
Raze's Hell
Real Heroes: Firefighter
Robots
Spy vs. Spy
SSX On Tour PSP
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam DS
Where the Wild Things Are

Oh, and Freestyle Street Soccer.

kRMfK.gif

Terminator - the 1990 DOS game

Terminator.gif

Dusk of the Gods
Shadow Company

shadowcompany.jpg

Heart of China (Although I think I've run into 1 or 2 people over the years here)

HoC.jpg

Last two are unlikely to have not been played, but it's all of the pre-Madden monopoly PC football games.

Mike Ditka Ultimate Football

Ditka.jpg

Front Page Sports Football

FPSFootball.jpg

This was reason I bought PC to play games, crazy I know

Phantasmagoria.jpg

Own it on disc and played it. It's on GOG now so I think a lot more people have played it now.

enY6W.jpg

Splatterball on AOL! So classic.
LOL, I remember that.

Probably not alone but
200px-Cyberiagameshot.jpg

I don't remember anything about this game except that it was around and I play 5 minutes of it.

Yup, I played it, still have it. What I'd be curious about is if anyone else on GAF ever played the sequel:

721013-cyberia2sa9_large.jpg

It was way worse than the first.

-PXG-

Heart of Darkness - PC/PS1 (as far as i know)
I have never met anyone who has heard of it, let alone played it. It was really fucking hard for me! I never beat it. The intro was really cool. I hope someone on GAF has played it, because then I won't feel so alone.

69CsO.jpg

hdRzj.jpg

mSVJ6.jpg

cUmaq.jpg

here's the intro

I remember seeing ads for this game and how it boasted how many colors were on screen, or some shit like that. It was technically impressive for the time.

My sister and I played this a lot when we were younger. And when I say that I mean mainly her. But I do remember it. Learnin' games when you don't know you're learnin'.

Also my contribution is Eternity's Child.
rNlZt.jpg

It's not that I don't think anyone has played it, I just hope no one did because it is terrible. Very very bad. Do not touch.

I remember seeing a 1up preview of this game when it still looked good. I never knew it actually came out. I thought it was supposed to be for XBLA...right?

EDIT

Ah. It's on Steam. Gonna try the demo...

256px-Phantom_Crash.jpg

my favorite mech game. I never got to play the PS2 sequel.

Beat_Down_Fists_of_Vengeance-s0.jpg

Got nothing but bad reviews but it was actually a pretty fun beat em up with RPG elements and tons of replay value. I never did finish it though.

TriGen

The first Metropolismania, I really liked it. My cousin and I played that thing like 12hrs straight one day.

Joeys_Rattata

Neo Member
KnifeEdge_nabox.jpg

I actually have no idea if this game was well known or not. All I know is that my brother is the only other person I know of who actually played it.

Culpa_Innata_pc.jpg

Been on Steam for a while so I'm guessing at least a few others have picked it up just to throw in the backlog. But has anyone actually played it? Decent dystopian adventure with some really janky animation and voice acting.

256px-ScraplandBox.jpg

Pretty interesting open-world/racing/adventure game. I really like the art design.

tvadart.jpg

Cool flight-sim shooter. Just fly around and shoot enemies, but the worlds were cool.

And this isn't technically a game but
250px-StarWarsBehindTheMagicBoxCover.jpg

was a digital encyclopedia for all things Star Wars, both in-universe and behind the scenes. It was notable for being the first time any of the deleted scenes with Biggs in ANH were publicly available.

-PXG-

My friend lost a bet against me yesterday. The penalty for him losing is to play and finish Raven Squad. I think he wants to die.

I had a narrow escape since mine was to play and finish Alone in the Dark.

Here is my contribution!

segacd_puggsy1.jpg

I saw a preview/walkthrough of this game on TechTV years ago.

256px-Metalwolfcover.jpg

Has anyone on GAF played Metal Wolf Chaos? Better yet, does anyone actually own it?

Beat_Down_Fists_of_Vengeance-s0.jpg

Got nothing but bad reviews but it was actually a pretty fun beat em up with RPG elements and tons of replay value. I never did finish it though.[/QUOTE]

I never finished it either. Underrated game IMO

EDIT

Oh. Oh oh...Please tell me someone else has played this

Chain+Dive(www.baixamaster.net).jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3eZSq_YRZI&feature=relmfu

Philia

Played this... couldn't finish it though. Still have mixed feelings about it to this day.

Adventure Beetle Racing for N64.

LOL really. This game is not obscure.

1-chulipcover.jpg

a game about... kissing...

YEP. Got ALL of the kisses here. :) That cat questionnaire at the end is hilarious.

I loved Shadow of Destiny for the PS2. It was geared more towards the Japanese audience, and I can't imagine many mainstream only gamers would touch it.

Played it and adored it. :)

Treasures%20of%20the%20Deep%20%5BU%5D%20%5BSLUS-00430%5D-front.jpg

odd choice? well its never listed in any of those Gaf hidden gems threads, which is wrong, and its never listed in any of the great soundtrack threads, which is also wrong, so clearly nobody played....or they are dumb ;p

NOPE, definitely loved and played this myself. :) If you love underwater games, you should check out Everblue 2, my earlier mention.

Retro

You can download Glider PRO for free from John Calhoun at http://homepage.mac.com/calhoun/Glider PRO.html

Yup, but you can't build new houses, which was (more than) half the fun.

That said, if anyone has OSX and wants a lot of houses; http://www.sacredsoftware.net/cgi-bin/FileList.rb?list=GliderPRO

Be sure to check out houses by Paul Finn, Ward Hartenstein, and "Finale 1.5", a house I made as my OS9 Laptop was on it's last legs as a love letter to Glider.

fart town usa

Gold Member
The_tale_of_orpheo%27s_curse.jpg

Are you afraid of the Dark?: the tale of orpheo's curse.

I absolutely loved this game and I remember being quite scared the first time playing it.

alf717

I mentioned this in my Obscure PS1 games thread but no one acknowledged having played it. Though I have heard mention of it (I think) on the Retronauts survival horror episode. This was sort of a Resident Evil clone, even though aesthetically it shared almost nothing. It was pretty bad.

I used to play this at my friends house all the time. We rented it cause it felt like a Resident Evil game. Pretty fun game from what I remember. I believe there was a sequel to this game.

Keikaku

Still have it sitting around somewhere! Good, challenging and under-appreciated game!

mbCFT.png

Unless you owned a pre-OSX Mac in the 90s, you probably never heard of it. Even if you did have one, you may have been too busy playing whatever arcade classic Ambrosia software had ripped off and charged $25 for. If you were lucky, you played some Exile or Realmz too.

Glider PRO was the third in a series of "Glider" games in which the player must guide their paper airplane, room-by-room, through an obstacle course comprised of common household objects. The glider cannot gain lift on it's own, and must use floor vents or candles to gain altitude (being careful not to set yourself on fire with the latter). Solid objects like tables, dressers and cabinets kill you, as will landing on the floor.
Played the hell out of this at my friends house way back in Scotland in the 1990's! He was (and is to this day) the only Mac gamer I know of.

O
Yup, I played it, still have it. What I'd be curious about is if anyone else on GAF ever played the sequel:

721013-cyberia2sa9_large.jpg

It was way worse than the first.
I had a friend who was obsessed with Cyberia 1 and 2. Played both about 20 times with him. I hate those games now lol

KnifeEdge_nabox.jpg

I actually have no idea if this game was well known or not. All I know is that my brother is the only other person I know of who actually played it.
Played it and hated it. I haven't played it since, but man . . .

256px-ScraplandBox.jpg

Pretty interesting open-world/racing/adventure game. I really like the art design.

tvadart.jpg

Cool flight-sim shooter. Just fly around and shoot enemies, but the worlds were cool.
Played both of these! Of the two, I played way more of Terminal Velocity since it was the one game my first, under-powered PC could play. I played it for at least an hour or so every other day for about a year.

I've probably played tons of obscure titles back in the 8-bit days, but I'll never be able to remember the names.

Something a bit more recent that I never saw mentioned (probably because it wasn't good0:

Darkened_Skye_Coverart.png

Something to do with Skittles and stuff...
Best Skittles-based game of all time! Not good otherwise.

It's so offensively terrible I'm not really surprised no one else on GAF seems to have played this piece of shit.

250px-Knights_contract_cover.jpg
Others share your pain!

Castle of the Winds

8006001.png
Hell yes!

eeeeh...i'll go with custom robo. always get dead silence when i mention it
Own it and played it! Never beaten it but it's on my to-do list.

Mine is the Red Star for PS2. Such a great Contra style shooter with great mechanics and a unique universe.

trp3x.jpg
It's fucking awesome! I love the characteristics of all the different characters. It really forces you to play the game differently.

Finally!! I loved that game and I completely forgot the name... thanks!

Anyway, my game is not that obscure, and I hated it:

2a_27220_0_0_Hellfire.jpg
You take that back, you son of a bitch!

This was the first game I ever got for the Genesis/Megadrive. I still have it sitting in my parents house. I played it so much that I still have the 1st and 2nd levels memorized :p

I suspect there's not many who played the win 3.1 or masterpiece version(NOT the snes one) of this:

L0sa2.jpg

Coolest thing about the pc versions was seeing missiles go from window to window. Sadly I couldn't find a 95-xp(where windows were far apart and the missile would travel through your desktop) screenshot, but here it is on 3.1:

mXSmS.png
Played it and I even owned it at one point.

ESWAT
Not too rare, but I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned on GAF before:
E-Swat_box_usa.jpg
Behold, the loneliest thread.

An oldie but it got my juices flowing when I was little: Twin Kingdom Valley. A text adventure with GRAPHICS on the Acorn Electron..

s-tk001.gif

I guess some of the older folk may have played it but hey

failing that, one of the first games on the PS2: Ring of Red

Ring_of_Red_art_box.jpg

An SRPG based on Mechs
I love how this has a completely different spin on the look and feel of the mechs. Especially because you can see the little guys reloading it or whatever. So good.

Nonentity

256px-Phantom_Crash.jpg

my favorite mech game. I never got to play the PS2 sequel.

This is one of the games I came here to post. LOVED that game. I was in the beta test for the PS2 online play version.

Rage of Mages 2.

1367.jpg

romtwo003.jpg

rage-of-mages-2.jpg

These games were called Allods 1 and 2 in Russia (where they were developed) - then they rolled into the free to play MMO Allods Online.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Here's a game no one else played:

937601_83418_front.jpg

If I'm not completely mistaken the soundtrack of the game was based on Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells.

cloudyy

xcAm9.jpg

2D Platformer
Got this for my 9th birthday and was like "the fuck is this shit" before even playing it. Pretty good game in the end although way to hard for me at the time.

Tunic

yeah, I also played it and couldn't get very far because of the difficulty. I think I gave up on that swamp level. Seeing as Titanic is back in cinemas, has anyone played Titanic: Adventure Out Of Time? Probably not obscure enough...
titanic.gif

My cousin was actually the Senior Artist for Cyberflix and worked on this game. I have played it and still own a copy of the game.

sp3000

mbCFT.png

KZ9mL.jpg

The paper theme was carried consistently throughout; extra sheets of paper were extra lives, rubber bands could be shot to defeat enemies, knock over grease jars or hit distant switches. Tin Foil became armor. Batteries could be used for a speed boost. Clocks (which used the system clock to maintain accuracy, calendars did this as well) gave you extra points.

Enemies included paper helicopters, Dart gliders and balloons. There were also paper shredders, toasters, fishbowls with hungry fish, basket balls and quite a few others.

kfF3B.jpg

What makes GliderPRO stand out, and what has allowed it to maintain a cult-like following that continues to this day, is the powerful "House Editor" that was included with the game. Players could create their own obstacle courses, choosing the room type, layout of furniture, and puzzles. They could also add custom room art or objects, which allowed some intrepid players to completely change the setting (one house, for example, was a castle made entirely of custom art). The amount of time I spent designing my own house and having people play it well outpaced the amount of time I actually spent playing the actual game. This, more than any other experience in my youth, is what made me want to get into game development.

sEyso.jpg

Glider also had a lot of charm; it has serious Art Deco styling, a sort of Middle American identity. It had some catchy music to boot.

Something about the cleverness of flying a paper airplane, combined with all of the design choices that fed into that decision (office supplies as power ups, household goods as hazards, etc) just made it stand out, and it remains unique amongst games even today.

It also helped that this and Marathon never ever ever ported over to PC when they were relevant: this is one of the few gems that Mac owners could call their own.

Here's a crappy quality video, but you can see the basic gameplay, hear the music, etc;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndrlCbR-ZSo&feature=player_embedded

I have this game on Basilisk

Polk

mbCFT.png

I'm sure I played Windows version of the game. Not sure if it was Glider Pro or Glider 4.

mik83kuu

Banned
I mentioned this in my Obscure PS1 games thread but no one acknowledged having played it. Though I have heard mention of it (I think) on the Retronauts survival horror episode. This was sort of a Resident Evil clone, even though aesthetically it shared almost nothing. It was pretty bad.

Haha I remember this. It had a weird robot partner, right? Very bad survival horror, but I kept me entertained that one weekend I rented it for.

Top Bottom