• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that you *think* only you on GAF have played

Brick

!!e!UTjwEGM~$(KGrHqR,!hYE0e35PrTFBNP3I8Nmtg~~_32.JPG

Pinball%2B-Gamescay.gif

I still remember this table, mainly because it reminded me of Outpost.

forgot to add my own contributions. i would have said chulip but obviously im not the only one.

mansion of the hidden souls - a short crappy sega cd game. basically a point and click adventure, just with a different interface and muddy sega cd graphics.

time hollow - another adventure game. as mentioned in my previous post i think its by the same people who made shadow of destiny.

i have played all three scenarios of shining force 3, which isnt that obscure but i cant imagine too many people were willing to read a translation alongside playing the game.

irritating stick - its a simulation of moving a wand through metal wires that are electrified. good name for a game.

bubsy 3d - one of the first 3d platformers. mostly notable for how shitty it is.

incredible crisis - im sure a few people on gaf have played this. its a series of minigames. fun and quirky.

raw danger - sequel to disaster report. i finished disaster report but didnt make it too far in this one.

mr mosquito - you are a mosquito annoying a japanese family. you have to bite people and avoid being killed.

shepherds crossing - this may actually be the most obscure one on the list. its a combination farm sim and rpg. also its not very good.

cy girls - metal gear solid rip off based on japanese action figures

whats shenmue - demo disc that came with japanese shenmue preorders i think.

revengers of vengeance - ambitious game with fighting, shmup, and rpg elements. if sega cd wasnt a piece of shit hardware i would have played more of this.

beyblade let it rip - bought this primarily because of the legendary gaf thread. its a crappy beyblade video game.

psychic killer taromaru - very expensive saturn action game. good, though likely not worth the high cost of admission.

gabbo

SpyCraft - The Great Game
Was never very good at the game, and never beat it (still have it on the shelf next to me), but the idea of uncovering an international assassination conspiracy as a CIA spook seemed awesome, FMV point and click and all. Doubt too many on GAF would be old enough to have played it.
VAvyl.jpg

The Experiment/Experience 112
Adventure game where you don't have any direct control over the main character, but you can lead her around and help her solve puzzles manipulating the environments through your computer terminal. Another game I've yet to beat, but found the premise extremely intriguing. The HUD is a mess to deal with though.
W3qgV.jpg

Thankfully PCWorld and PCGamer had reviews for them respectively or I'd have never heard of either. And I doubt GAF [even AdventureGAF] has much ahem, experience, with either title.

Kabouter

The Experiment/Experience 112
Adventure game where you don't have any direct control over the main character, but you can lead her around and help her solve puzzles manipulating the environments through your computer terminal. Another game I've yet to beat, but found the premise extremely intriguing. The HUD is a mess to deal with though.
http://i.imgur.com/W3qgV.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/AT6zo.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ykt18.jpg[IMG]

Thankfully PCWorld and PCGamer had reviews for them respectively or I'd have never heard of either. And I doubt GAF [even AdventureGAF] has much ahem, experience, with either title.[/QUOTE]

Played it, so did stump I believe. While I agree that it was a bit unwieldy, not directly controlling the main character was a really cool and interesting mechanic, which did keep me playing for quite some time.

DGRE

Banned
A Tale In The Desert

26565_full.jpg

An "mmo" with absolutely no combat. I put mmo in quotes because it's not really massive. There is a player base of around 2000-4000.

It's all about building a society in the Egyptian basin around the Nile river. Water is essential to progress so even though you could live in solitude out in the desert, you wouldn't get very far without some kind of oasis nearby. Everything is largely centered around crafting. Skills are unlocked by communities. If your community wants to unlock glassmaking at your local university, your community has to make X number of potash and lime (the building blocks of glass) and donate them in order to make it available to the community. It's a very social game.

There is a beginning and an end to the game. Something pretty unique as far as MMO's go. The main developer is similar to a dungeon master. When he feels that the citizens of Egypt have met his requirements for the current tale. He starts the beta for the next tale and starts winding down the current one. It's pretty amazing, actually.

It makes me really sad that not many people play it.

They just started the sixth tale back in December, so if you tried it out, you would get a little bit of what it's like to start the game from the beginning. That's the best way to experience it.

I really doubt many people on GAF have played it but I highly recommend it if you like MMO's but are sick of the same-old same-old.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I see two people already replied on the same page, but this was damn cool.
The weapons near the end-game were so powerful and destroying the city had that anime-esque wow factor to them you don't see in many games nowadays.

Damn! A good friend of mine had this and we would just play it for dropping nukes and trying to escape from them in the jammiest ways possible.

Haha, and someone posted the image of the ID4 floppy disk - I googled it and there is a whole thread dedicated to it on this very forum xD Nostalgia trip indeed.

A Tale In The Desert
Played it when they were load testing it, but never got around to playing the full product. A few of my classmates at the time did artwork on it. Since they were an Indie game they got the most mileage possible out of unpaid internships that we needed for graduating credit.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
The Realm

The_Realm_Online_%28video_game%29_screenshot.jpg

My first MMO. I believe the game is still running, but I first played it around 1995.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Realm_Online

I considered posting this even though I know of other people on here who have played it, just because I wanted to talk about it. It's still running and still costs something like $60-70 a year to play (it's like the people running it don't know there are other MMOs out there.)

The game was cute and I played it for most of a year (though mostly because I had people to talk to on there.) I remember getting killed by a high level fairy type enemy and not having the will to play much after that. :x Even though I was level 70 or something. I lost my favorite sword in that battle! D:

Hoo-doo

Banned
XS (1996), it's a PC game my mom bought for me from the supermarket once.
I had such a blast with that game, even though it's supposed to be really bad.

xs.jpg

Alrus

I played Lords of Magic quite a lot when I was a kid, I don't remember much of it but I think it was a pretty decent game. It's available on GoG by the way!

Also, is Torin's Passage considered obscure? It was a Sierra adventure game and I remember liking it a lot as a kid, but I've never seen it mentioned since.

XJ3Uh.png

FillerB

Also, is Torin's Passage considered obscure? It was a Sierra adventure game and I remember liking it a lot as a kid, but I've never seen it mentioned since.
[IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/XJ3Uh.png[/IMG]

I _loved_ Torin's Passage. Unfortunately I was forced be to restart from the beginning a lot as my saves kept getting corrupted.

Snow Bros. 1&2. The only other person who I know who played this was my younger brother.

And me! Great games.

this is the only version of the game i have ever played, and i love half-life so, so much.

Wow, really? So you never played the expansions? (Opposing Force and Blue Shift.)

Holy shit! I actually played that! Or one of them, anyway. It was some weird Flash "game" where you had to control one of the ID4 aliens inside of its ship and manipulate controls and stuff. I thought it was cool at the time, but it was actually pretty shitty.

I wish people still talked about Dark Cloud and Dark Chronicle, amazing games, some of my favorites of all time. I just finished Dark Cloud again this morning.

Where's Dark Cloud 3? Also, why isn't there more games with weapon systems like these?

I played DC2, but I never went back to DC1. I was told it's not that great.

forgot to add my own contributions. i would have said chulip but obviously im not the only one.

mansion of the hidden souls - a short crappy sega cd game. basically a point and click adventure, just with a different interface and muddy sega cd graphics.

[...]

raw danger - sequel to disaster report. i finished disaster report but didnt make it too far in this one.

[...]

mr mosquito - you are a mosquito annoying a japanese family. you have to bite people and avoid being killed.

[...]

whats shenmue - demo disc that came with japanese shenmue preorders i think.

I've played all of these. Raw Danger is amazing, much better than Disaster Report. Mansion of Hidden Souls is a horrific piece of shit with some of the worst voice acting I've ever heard.

Lissar

Reluctant Member

XJ3Uh.png

I _loved_ Torin's Passage. Unfortunately I was forced be to restart from the beginning a lot as my saves kept getting corrupted.

I adore Torin's Passage (all the Torin's Passage fans coming out of the woodwork?) I usually see it mentioned when point and click adventure threads pop up, and it's Sierra so it's not overly obscure (even if it wasn't one of their big name titles.) My favorite game from Al Lowe. It's pretty simple, but I loved the humor.

TheOddOne

I played Lords of Magic quite a lot when I was a kid, I don't remember much of it but I think it was a pretty decent game. It's available on GoG by the way!

XJ3Uh.png
Fantasic game, felt ahead of it's time.

Mista Koo

And the best of them all:

captaintubasa2.jpg

Captain Tsubasa 2: Super Striker.

A sports / RPG hybrid, composed exclusively of cinematic screens. Tecmo was god in Famicom.
Never played it myself, but I know two gaffers who loved it.

iWOmS3EozaXov.png

This bad boy was so amazing. Always playing it with my cousins when we had sleepovers, never see it mentioned on GAF though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQQ_-Mej-Kk
Unless it was you someone else has already posted this. And I've played it.

time hollow - another adventure game. as mentioned in my previous post i think its by the same people who made shadow of destiny.

incredible crisis - im sure a few people on gaf have played this. its a series of minigames. fun and quirky.

Played, played and played.
I need to finish Raw Danger, I loved the first one.

Already mentioned in this thread, and I've played it as well, so you're certainly far from the only one ;).

Speaking in terms of unsung RTS games, care to throw light on why the Earth series never hit the bigtime, despite surviving as a franchise? I really liked Earth 2160.

Kabouter

I've noticed that you've replied to some of my posts, are you picking on me :|

Have I? (And no, obviously)

Speaking in terms of unsung RTS games, care to throw light on why the Earth series never hit the bigtime, despite surviving as a franchise? I really liked Earth 2160.

I think it always did okay in Germany, don't really have any other answer as to why it survived. Never did play 2160, but I did play 2140 and 2150, solid if not spectacular gamer. Don't think they were good enough for the franchise to deserve to hit the bigtime tbh. But perhaps 2160 was a huge improvement.

DBT85

Check post #254 ;)

Yeah the soundtrack was good.

Dag nammit. I swear i searched the thread for "fury" and it came back with squat.

Oh well. It was glorious none the less. Its one of those that I'd love to see remade for something like the Vita.

Things like Fury of the Furries and Titus Fox formed some of my earliest gaming memories. We only had a PC and no consoles.

I enjoyed the games but I don't think they resonated with me as much as others did in the genre.

I 1997 when 2140 came out it also had Total Annihilation and the two Red Alert expansions to compete with.

In 1998 when the 2140 expansions came out there was Starcraft & Brood War and two TA expansions.

Then 2000 saw 2150 come out in the same year as the Tiberian Sun expansion, Homeworld Cataclysm, and the fucking dreadful Star Wars Force Commander which I regretted buying about 20 minutes after installing it.

2005 when 2160 came out was actually quite a quiet year for new RTS games by all accounts but it was just too long since the last in the series I think.

On that subject, I'm only just coming to the end of a very enjoyable World in Conflict and have Sins of a Solar Empire next on my list.

Anyone ever play this RTS?

dH80A.jpg

It wasn't too bad, but I never saw anyone else mention it.

Also, there was another RTS I played around the same time, but can't remember the name of - you played as an alien race and used shamans to 'grow' buildings and units. Can anyone help with the name?

I enjoyed the games but I don't think they resonated with me as much as others did in the genre.

I 1997 when 2140 came out it also had Total Annihilation and the two Red Alert expansions to compete with.

In 1998 when the 2140 expansions came out there was Starcraft & Brood War and two TA expansions.

Then 2000 saw 2150 come out in the same year as the Tiberian Sun expansion, Homeworld Cataclysm, and the fucking dreadful Star Wars Force Commander which I regretted buying about 20 minutes after installing it.

2005 when 2160 came out was actually quite a quiet year for new RTS games by all accounts but it was just too long since the last in the series I think.

On that subject, I'm only just coming to the end of a very enjoyable World in Conflict and have Sins of a Solar Empire next on my list.

Good to hear a nice succinct rundown. 2160, at least for me, was a forgotten powerhouse. But we live in an era where Ground Control 2 didn't set the world on fire and World in Conflict didn't either - sadly (although SapientWolf did throw down a very convincing argument of timeframe and infrastructure).

My quiet loves of Submarine Titans many years ago and of, more recently, SunAge...well, I know they're not going to win many over on fireworks and innovation.

dosh

I really don't think I'm the only one who played this game at all, but not one of my friends knows about it and I always wondered how successful it was (so I thought I'd hi-jack this thread to ask).
Is it a super well-known brawler or a very underestimated title? I played it on pc and found it awesome at the time.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Actually i'm playing a game that noone is playing.
Crystal mines is a puzzle game for psp(and ds)
0_825_04.png

0_825_05.png

i bought it at 9.99€ on psn more than one month ago, i'm playing it everyday but i'm only at the half of the game and i'm still loving it, it has 300 levels... don't judge it by the graphics, it's an awesome game with some sadic or genial level design.

Cabal on Amiga 500:
3.jpg

What? This was one of my and my friends favourite games!

aaaaaa

SpyCraft - The Great Game
Was never very good at the game, and never beat it (still have it on the shelf next to me), but the idea of uncovering an international assassination conspiracy as a CIA spook seemed awesome, FMV point and click and all. Doubt too many on GAF would be old enough to have played it.

I loved Spycraft. I doubt the people who made it had ever played a video game before. It also had the recurring 'theme' of people being randomly shot in the head.

I could probably pick any number of random cracked Atari 800 games we had growing up, but I'll go with Action Quest, because it was one of my favorite games back then (and it was legit published):

action_quest_jv_d7.jpg

action_quest_2.gif

You were a ghost who could transform into a gun, and your goal in each room was basically to collect a treasure and escape. But each room was a different abstract puzzle--half the game was just figuring out what you were supposed to do in each room. Oh and you had about ten or fifteen seconds to do so before you faded out of existence.

Though it is a much more deliberate game (and no music), Action Quest also has a very similar mise en scene to VVVVVV.

I loved that game. Did you try Ghost Encounters and Journey to the Planets as well?

Probably the most obscure Atari 800 games I can recall are Liverpool, an exceptionally slow football manager game written in Basic, and Poker SAM, which had digitised speech.

logo5.png

Actually, given this board and its general interest circle, might not be too unique.

Played it. I was a priest of Gapp for some time. It was a pretty fun MUD, but doing the quests became something of an open secret. After you complete a quest, you're told not to tell anyone, but they had quest lists online and people would approach you to have them help you do a quest. "Here, let me lock you into this freezer so I can rescue you, then you do the same for me."

I've pointed someone in the direction of Discworld MUD on GAF at least once.

DiGiKerot

I bought a lot of crap in the PS2 era. I kind of miss the days when frequently-terrible-occasionally-interesting anime games were actually a viable production proposition.

Without searching my shelves too deep, I'm sure I must be alone on at least one of these.

Top Bottom