• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with engaging/complex difficulty level changes

Thraktor

Yeah, quite a few mentioned that in this thread. Too bad Perfect Dark Zero is only on 360. Did it do similar things or did they left that out in the 360 prequel?

Get the HD remake of Perfect Dark on XBLA. Very faithful to the original game, and good value, too.

If you're going to talk about Dynamic Difficulty Adjustment, you could research Flow. I never really paid attention to the DDA, but maybe that was the point.

galvatron

Anyone remember Zanac on NES? That adjusting level difficulty that runs by your gameplay, ack. I think I was punished for spamming a leveled up weapon.

First example that came to mind. They were all over you in a heartbeat if you powered up too much.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
If you're going to talk about Dynamic Difficulty Adjustment, you could research Flow. I never really paid attention to the DDA, but maybe that was the point.

I actually thought about doing some researches on some other games that struck me as interesting as well after I am done with RE4, yeah. The RE4 thing still has about 7 parts though, so I guess I'll be busy for a while.

I actually thought about doing some researches on some other games that struck me as interesting as well after I am done with RE4, yeah. The RE4 thing still has about 7 parts though, so I guess I'll be busy for a while.

Holy hell. I guess I misunderstood the idea behind this thread, then. It's really cool that you're delving deep into the idea behind difficulty changes in games, what with a common complaint being that games now are "too easy".

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Holy hell. I guess I misunderstood the idea behind this thread, then. It's really cool that you're delving deep into the idea behind difficulty changes in games, what with a common complaint being that games now are "too easy".

The thread just doubled as a "Name games that do it right" too, because I figured the other thing wouldnt get enough responses alone (And to get to know other games that might be interesting to look at). I actually wanted to get some deep discussion/impressions for RE4 other games out actually. I noticed that this might be pretty interesting in other games too, but I'll see about that when I finish the RE4-athon. Might make a thread on RE4 though, once I wrote up all the RE4 parts. Writing all that up without anyone reading is a bit annoying, lol, especially since I think its really somewhat interesting.

I mean, we have developers that openly state that they dont put anything else other than "Raise HP" into a higher difficulty because of money and time constraints. And then we have games like RE4, where I just started to appreciate the work that went into that aspect during the last few days. Outright amazing.

And yeah, a game being too easy could easily be adjusted in a higher difficulty setting. It all depends on HOW they do it though, which is sort of what I am trying to get at here I guess.

Risette

A Good Citizen
If you're looking for interesting dynamic difficulty systems, you must check out (most of) Shinobu Yagawa's games. The dynamic rank in his games are basically their defining traits. While he isn't the only one who's made shooters with rank, the rank systems in his games are more esoteric than average, to say the least.

Here's a bit from a strategy guide of Battle Garegga:
WHAT IS RANK?:
In case you hadn’t heard of it before, “rank” is the term used to describe an invisible “system” of sorts which a shoot-em-up will use to automatically adjust its difficulty level based on the player’s status and/or performance. One simple example is the Gradius series: in those games, the more powered-up your ship is, the harder the game gets. Different games use many different factors to determine rank, but Battle Garegga’s rank system is particularly complicated, and dependent on a large number of factors which the player MUST understand and consciously manipulate in order to complete the game. This makes Garegga’s gameplay system much more unorthodox than it first appears, and quite challenging to master: the information contained in this guide exists to give you some idea of what exactly you’re up against.

WHAT DOES RANK AFFECT?:
A game’s difficulty, of course, is dependent on several factors, and depending on the status of Battle Garegga’s rank, the following elements can change:

Enemy Aggression:
Enemies are more willing to attack you point-blank, charge straight at your craft, or engage in other aggressive behaviors.

Enemy Fire Rate:
Enemies fire bullets at you with greater frequency.

Enemy Bullet Speed:
Enemy bullets travel more quickly.

Enemy Bullet Number:
Enemy bullet patterns contain more bullets and tighter formations.

Enemy Resilience:
Enemies take more shots to destroy. Note that this particular characteristic recedes much more slowly (if at all) compared to the others: basically, if the game’s rank increases by a large amount (thus intensifying all of the factors listed here) and then is decreased by a large amount, enemies’ aggression, fire rate, etc. will drop substantially, but their resilience will remain at or close to the high level they were at before the rank drop.

Item Falling Speed:
Items dropped by enemies fall offscreen faster.

Needless to say, it’s to your advantage to put forth sufficient effort to keep the rank under control: if you fail to do so to enough of an extent, later stages of the game will become literally impossible to beat. Not “very hard,” not “extra difficult,” Impossible, with a capital “I”. That said, there are several things you can do to control and manipulate the rank in this game, as detailed in the following sections, so read on.

BASIC RANK-CONTROLLING STRATEGIES:
Now that you know what the game’s rank can do to you if you don’t handle it properly, it stands to reason that you’ll want to know exactly how to do just that. This guide will get into a bit more of the “nitty-gritty” aspects of rank control as you read further in, but for starters, here is a sort of “digest” version of the “main” things you’ll want to do to succeed at Battle Garegga, which breaks down at least most of the basic strategies you’ll want to use to successfully tackle the game and its demanding rank system. The guide will explain the listed items in more detail later on, but the stuff here ought to give you at least a general idea of what you’ll need to do.

Don’t hoard lives.
Perhaps the toughest of Garegga’s rank control methods to get used to, but once you do so, things will actually get easier, rather than harder (as it might sound at first), for you. As you might have heard before even reading this guide, you’ll need to make sure that you get shot down periodically to lower the rank. Moreover, as will be elaborated upon below, the fewer lives you have in reserve when you die, the greater the (positive) effect the death has on the rank. As such, you’ll want to never have more than one or two extra lives in reserve at a time, so that your deaths, whenever they happen, help you the most. This means, if you’re scoring well enough to be earning regular extends, you should make sure to lose a life or two on a regular basis, rather than hoarding them and then dying a whole bunch of times at once (likely at a rough area). Obviously there’s a good deal of risk to having fewer lives to fall back on, but as you practice you’ll become confident enough to tackle previously-tough areas without a whole lot of backup.

Play for score.
As the previous item brought out, you’ll need to sacrifice quite a few lives along the way to keep the rank from getting too high, and aside from the single item extend in stage 3, the only way to earn those lives back is to score well. Battle Garegga’s (default) extend rate is pretty generous when you’re taking advantage of scoring opportunities properly, so you definitely want to exploit that fact as best you can. In some shmups you can more or less choose to play either “for survival” or “for score”: in Battle Garegga, the two are, to a large extent, the same thing. You MUST learn to score well to survive in the long term, so read the stage-specific guides or watch some superplays (or just do a bit of experimenting) to figure out how.

Don’t hoard bombs.
In most shmups, players are encouraged (even rewarded) for using bombs as little as possible, letting them go only when in a tight spot or to make up for a mistake. Garegga, on the other hand, includes bombs (or, as some have argued, not really even “bombs” but “special weapons”) primarily, not for survival purposes, but to help you score more, largely through background scenery destruction and a few other “tricks.” As such, for most areas of the game (barring a few exceptions, like the flamingoes in Stage 2), you’ll want to be using your bombs regularly to destroy scenery and uncover hidden medals to boost your score: oftentimes this means having no full bombs on hand, using only a few fragments at a time (since that’s all you’ll have handy) to take out the scenery. In similar fashion to having fewer lives as explained above, having fewer bombs to rely on to get out of a tough spot can make for some extra-tense situations: in the same manner, though, practice will see you through.

Limit your firepower.
Similar to the above-mentioned treatment of bombs, most shmups encourage you to power yourself up fully as fast as you can: if you do so in Garegga, the rank will likely end up out of your control before long. To prevent this, do your best to get as far as you can with as little firepower as possible: until you’re forced to upgrade, stick with a lower-powered main shot (use the tables below to decide with which planes/characters this will be to your greatest advantage), fewer options, and non-hidden option formations. As with the previous few items on this list, doing this may sound prohibitively difficult, but give it a try and you may be surprised how far you can get with what you might have previously viewed as a mere “pea shooter.” Of course, later levels pretty much require you to have high firepower to progress, but the longer you can go without it, the better.

Limit your shooting.
The more shots you fire the angrier you make the rank, so as a matter of principle, when there’s nothing to shoot at, let go of that fire button and stop shooting. Unlike in many other games, where you have little incentive to ever let go of the fire button, in Battle Garegga you’ll want to “conserve ammo” in the few spots where you’re able to do so, although most of the time you’ll have no choice but to fight enemies off. Just keep this thought in the back of your head and you’ll be fine.

Use large items to power up when possible.
Using small shot or weapon items a handful of times won’t utterly decimate your rank, but when possible you’ll want to use large shot or weapon icons to power yourself up, as in each case they end up doing less damage to your rank than their smaller counterparts will, especially in the case of the small shot icons, which can permanently affect your “per-frame” rank (detailed below).

Beware of raising the autofire rate.
Battle Garegga gives the player the ability to raise (but not lower) the game’s autofire rate during play, which gives you the ability to do more damage to enemies more quickly. This is certainly tempting, but it comes with a steep price: raising the autofire rate has a drastic effect on the rank, and should be used with extreme discretion, since its effects are impossible to reverse once activated. As mentioned earlier, later levels require greater firepower, but earlier on try to go without it.

Don’t collect power-ups when your power is “maxed.”
As in many shmups, if you collect additional power-up icons after you’re already at full power, you get a few extra points. However, in Battle Garegga, such items give you only paltry points in most cases (especially compared to the regular 10,000 apiece you can get from keeping your medal chain going) and increase your rank much faster than if they were collected when not at full power. As such, it’s generally in your best interests to avoid collecting further “enhancements” once you get to that point.

Don’t lose your medal chain.
Speaking of medals, this point bears repeating: not only are medals a vital source of points (and all-important extra lives), but losing your chain and being forced to collect lower-value medals instead of higher-value ones will raise your rank many times faster than if you’d been able to keep the high-value medals coming. As with everything else, practice makes perfect.

Make sure the starting rank level is as low as possible.
A relatively minor thing, but every little bit helps: in short, every time the game is played, the starting rank will become slightly more difficult. As such, you might want to either reset it (via switch or Option menu) or let the attract mode sequence run for awhile before trying again, to ensure that you don’t have the odds stacked too high against you right from the get-go.

Don’t seal too many enemy bullets.
Also relatively minor compared to some other tips, but it can make a difference: while it may be tempting to sit right on top of that big ol’ tank to take advantage of its “dead zone” and prevent it from sending that nasty spread at you, those bullets are still hurting you, so to speak, even when they’re not actually fired at you. Sealing a few bullets here or there won’t destroy your game, but do it too much and you’ll likely wish you hadn’t.

Persevere!
Battle Garegga is a tough game by almost any standard, and its unorthodox play style goes even further to ensure that you’re not going to master it quickly. As such, don’t get frustrated or discouraged when you have a tough time; you can always try again later, and the more you play, the better you’ll get. Starting off focusing on certain rank elements only, while not bothering with others (or maybe even none at all), might help to ease you into things, and gradually work your way up to trying to handle everything at once, but there’s no need to rush yourself, just so long as you don’t give up. You’re supposed to be having fun, after all.

Rubius

Eternal Darkness didnt have "difficulty" per say, but it made the three play though necessary to complete the game with the true ending, fully different and some are more difficult than other.
Depending on what god you choose at the beginning, enemies will either suck out your Health, Mana or Sanity.
Getting your health suck out is obviously the more difficult version of the game.

Toma

If you're looking for interesting dynamic difficulty systems, you must check out (most of) Shinobu Yagawa's games. The dynamic rank in his games are basically their defining traits. While he isn't the only one who's made shooters with rank, the rank systems in his games are more esoteric than average, to say the least.

Here's a bit from a strategy guide of Battle Garegga:

This stuff is so damn interesting. One of my favourite shmups of all time (Gradius V) does that stuff, and its so freaking amazing that I did not notice that. Thanks for the link btw! Going to read through it later :)

Eternal Darkness didnt have "difficulty" per say, but it made the three playthough necessary to finish the game fully different and some are more difficult than other.
Depending on what god you choose at the beginning, enemies will either suck out your Health, Mana or Sanity.
Getting your health suck out is obviously the more difficult version of the game.

Definitely fits the topic. Great that they thought a bit outside the box for that one. I wish more developers atm did that. I should go through the top 20 best selling games in 2011 and see how many games actually went the extra mile there to offer interesting "difficulty settings".

Top Bottom