• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you LOVE but you find it difficult to Recommend.

54-46!

Although I pimp Project Reality everywhere I can I never really recommend it to people personally because there's a whole lot in the game traditional shooters fans won't enjoy.

You might spend 30 minutes sitting in the same spot, defending the same position without ever engaging the enemy. There are a lot of slow moments and you have to take orders from others which doesn't really appeal to everybody.

woopWOOP

Trip World - Gameboy

Super charming 2D-platformer with many different creatures, fun enemy AI and very nice level details. I adore it.

It can also be finished within 10 minutes as the levels are short and 70% of the enemies don't even hurt you. It's on the EU eShop for €5, but I don't really recommend buying it for that price.

Kid Icarus Uprising and wonderful 101.
Great games, even masterpiece concerning ki:u, but yeah, controls are weird.

These would be my choices. It's hard for me to imagine not recommending something I enjoyed to anyone no matter my qualms, but these in particular would limit the people I recommend them to to about 2 that I know irl.

wow at a legit rec for giten megami tensei, that may be an internet first, amazing!

how exactly does it take after MT2? that game quickly became one of my favorites.

Mostly in some setup and plot elements. Game opens with characters in a bunker, revolves around main character becoming a Devil Buster, bunker gets invaded by a few demons and inhabitants are zombified. Good amount of the significant demons are the same too, mostly with Baal's role in the plot. Everything in Giten from a very basic perspective just feels like a more in-depth version of MT2's storytelling, right down to the MacGuffin hunt (MT2 had pillars, Giten has your girlfriend's bodyparts). Giten feels pretty different overall, but a lot of MT2's skeleton and influence is there.

Double Dragon III on NES.

The game is way too hard especially for now, but apart from that, it's really awesome.

According to AVGN the controls are broken , But I'll trust you and try it someday.

Metal Gear series.

Strangely enough, except for MGS5. Is a no-brainer for every newcomer because it throws everything out in the toilet. You don't need to know anything going into MGS5 other than it has absolutely stellar gameplay.

But the other games are driven by the story and either you get into it or have a very reasonable: "what the fuck is this shit?".

I always recommend MGS V, the only problem with that is that people who have played V went and played MGS 2 and 3 and couldn't handle the master controls.

nateify

Sonic Adventure 1. I 100%'d as recently as this year and for some reason had a lot of fun with it. But I have to admit it's pretty damn janky... also Big's campaign is the worst.

BibiMaghoo

I think the Sniper Elite v2 is a good example of this. The core mechanics are really fun, and shooting people through the face doesn't really get old, but it is so bare bones beyond that, that I find it hard to recommend as a game. The sniping is like a 9/10. The game itself is like a 6, raised only because of the former.

My second choice would probably be GTAIV. The game is awesome and yet carries so much baggage with it all the way through. Obviously 5 is out and a much better game at this point, but forgetting that, I still recommend San Andreas over it, even though IV is the better game. It's just not as fun, and a primary reason for recommending something is that they have fun.

PillarEN

Katawa Shoujo because of sex scenes. I mean that's not exactly something the average person wants to hear even though they can be turned off.

In Europe (not including UK/France) Nintendo games because nobody has any of their systems to begin with. That's on you NoE marketing/prices/region locking.

Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword (DS)

Games makes good use of the DS' touch screen however it forces you to hold it on its side. You may find it uncomfortable.

All attacks are input with touch movements. This may put you off as all face and shoulder buttons block. Not even a case of multiple options. Nimpo attacks require you to scratch the screen rapidly to charge and on higher difficulties, you'll wanna do this fast.

You may damage your screen playing this game. Unless you have a screen protector you WILL scratch it, best case scenario.

Other than that, fucking great game.

old

Hearthstone

Very fun and addictive. But there's a barrier to entry for actually competing and unfortunately that barrier is growing with every new expansion or set release.

ShogunX

Viva Pinata - mainly because it looks like a kids game and people think I'm taking the piss when I tell them it's actually a deep garden/breeding simulator.

Codename STEAM. Brilliant game but its either too difficult or too easy depending on who I am trying to recommend it too. The best way I could describe it is a First Person View Advance Wars, hell, the game should have been called SteamWars and I bet it could have sold better.

Also
Dorothy
is extremely cute in this game, too bad she is like the last character to unlock.
I never knew I wanted an Advance Wars in the style of Codename STEAM until now.

On the subject though, I couldn't recommend something like Pikmin to casual gamers. I think games with timer mechanics/resource management stress casual gamers out more often then not.

Duster

When it comes to real-life recommendations basically everything as it never goes well, most people's eyes glaze over outside the most mainstream games, the rest stick to their small niches they know better than me anyway.
When I recommended Tearaway to a girl who used to love PS1 platformers, owns a Vita and does papercraft she still wasn't interested, I must just be a bad salesman (of course it turned out nobody is interesting in poor old Tearaway).

God knows what would happen if I recommended Danganronpa, so there's this evil bear...

When it comes to real-life recommendations basically everything as it never goes well, most people's eyes glaze over outside the most mainstream games, the rest stick to their small niches they know better than me anyway.
When I recommended Tearaway to a girl who used to love PS1 platformers, owns a Vita and does papercraft she still wasn't interested, I must just be a bad salesman (of course it turned out nobody is interesting in poor old Tearaway).

God knows what would happen if I recommended Danganronpa, so there's this evil bear...

Thats sad , Media Molecule is one of the few companies in gaming willing to take some form of creative risk and do some bold .

Unfortunately that means , after watching the press conference and trailers for their 'Dreams' (New PS4 Game). I still have no idea how that game works. Its a lot easier to tell people , its like Call of Duty , Its an open world game when you give recommendations . Its harder to tell people , you create abstract dreamlike environments for people to traverse and explore.

Bogeypop

36777-Digimon_World_[U]-2.jpg

I love to clean up shit.

ftfy

Persona 2. I love the game to death and it's pure quality for those who are interested but it's also quite clunky and not as accessible as the later entries. I can see people dismissing the visuals and the battle system, especially when the later entries are so much more accessible. And once they play P3/4, it becomes even more difficult to go back and play P2.

Persona 1 would be even worse, I can only imagine.

Deadly Premonition. It's an amazing game but how exactly do you convey that to someone who is unfamiliar with it? It's the kind of game that ONLY sells through word of mouth because nothing about it is appealing at first glance.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Deadly Premonition. It's an amazing game but how exactly do you convey that to someone who is unfamiliar with it? It's the kind of game that ONLY sells through word of mouth because nothing about it is appealing at first glance.

I've heard things about this game but never really got an 'elevator pitch' for it... how would you sell the game if you could? (especially to me, someone whose diet is mainly niche Japanese games).

I've heard things about this game but never really got an 'elevator pitch' for it... how would you sell the game if you could? (especially to me, someone whose diet is mainly niche Japanese games).

I'm with you on the niche Japanese games (of which this is one), but I was sold on Deadly Premonition largely due to the whole thing being an homage to Twin Peaks.

eagledare

I was going to say the Souls series, but OP took it to another level with a MC that "rapes people".

Nah.

Nah, I gotta pass.

I'd say I have had many that I love, but are hard to recommend unless certain conditions. Some like Codename S.T.E.A.M., Fragile Dreams, Wonderful 101, and Kid Icarus: Uprising are already mentioned so here we go with my list.

SG_PSVita_PEGI_2D-smaller-320x320.jpg

Steins;Gate (PS3, Vita, PC)

The reason I put this game here is that it's a visual novel with various science and otaku terms inside it. So, you would probably have to like reading at least a little to get into it and not mind the anime references along with the science talk. Definitely worth it for the story and characters and is my GOTY currently. I'd also add other visual novel series like Zero Escape and Danganronpa, which differ a lot with Zero Escape having escape-the-room puzzles to break the text for the most part and Danganronpa has trials with mini-games to break up the novel text along with a dating-sim like mode where you learn more about the characters.

Xenoblade-Chronicles.jpg

Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) along with various other Rpgs

While I focus on Xenoblade here, I mainly talk about most RPGs I play, mainly JRPGs in particular. I just think that RPGs are the most opinioned type of games to play. Some people will like the characters, some people will despise them and others will think they are okay. Some people will love the combat system, others will loathe it entirely while the last group will be indifferent. There's so much going into an RPG that could good or bad and every opinion is just taste.

Far as Xenoblade goes, I liked the combat as I went through the game. I absolutely adored the OST as it's one of my favorite of all time. I love the characters as I feel they are solid, but have some kind of trope inside them typical of most JRPG characters. I loved the imaginative environments and the feeling of this fantasy world unlike any game I've played. The feeling of exploration in this game was so great to me, finding hidden places, gaining exp, fighting unique monsters hidden away in some cases, etc. The story was solid enough to keep me invested in the end, but I could see most people say it's a typical shonen manga type story. I didn't even mind the side quests as I just ended up accepting them, doing them without knowing, and getting the reward immediately, but most of them were typical fetch quest so I understand why they can't be like so.

dota 2, I find most people I try to get the game into give up after a game or two.

If you start with a low MMR , which often happens to newbies , you end up grouped with people who think they are superstars but play like shit. Can you blame them?

Catherine.

It's a great game, but it's a tough sell telling people that it's a puzzle game with social elements included and a plot about infidelity. I love the game, but even I had to put the difficulty on easy; I'm just not super into puzzle games. But as an overall package, I love Catherine.

Other M, because it's a fantastic game but you can't talk about it because too many people have read about "the baby" and the "samus can only do things when a MAN says she can" and deride it without actually having played it, to the point that my voice gets drowned out.

MilkBeard

SaGa Frontier, or any SaGa game. They are incedibly niche in a genre that is already niche to begin with. Not to mention the games are difficult and hard for casual players to enjoy.

Also, jrpgs in general. Most of the people i know are into western games and scoff at the visual styles of most jrpgs.

Yeah, my favorite game of all time is Mirror's Edge but within my circle of friends, "minimal combat/encouraged to never engage in combat", "bold colorful art style", "mellow electronic/synth-pop soundtrack" "free-running/reflex based gameplay" and "oriental female protagonist" will ensure they never even look at the cover art.

imBask

Banned
The original DayZ mod was a pretty hard sell

• it's impossible to install
  • it never works right
  • it's buggy as hell
  • Arma 2 controls are terrible in general
  • it's one of the best gaming experience i've ever had

God Hand. I love it, but I recommended it to three friends (hardcore gamers as well) and they disliked it. I still recommend it nowadays, but not as often as I used to.

Congrats OP, in definitely going to play that game now.

My own would probably be Codename: STEAM, at least from recent memory. The art style is weird, the gameplay is a unique mix of turn based strategy and 3rd person shooter. But man, does it nail that strategy goodness.

Another one for me is probably Bound By Flame. It's not really that great, but I had a lot of fun with it and some of its mechanics are actually quite intuitive. The last boss is a bitch though, and lots of the story moments are laughably bad.

Edit: Actually, I do have a way to maybe one-up OP. Saya no Uta, or Song of Saya. Very interesting visual novel with a compelling and twisted story. Unfortunately, is also has
sex scenes
. Play at your own risk, but if you are into VNs it's actually quite good. I don't think I could recommend that to many people I know.

Mephala

Haha, that OP is amazing. Didn't expect it one bit. Thought h-games like Rance were not allowed on Gaf?

To be honest these days I don't recommend games I love to any body any more because if discovered that my tastes are niche and what I like best is not at all what most enjoy.

Katawa Shoujo is an obvious one for me. If you get past the reading then the VN part then the sex there is the part where you need to tell them the game is full of people with disabilities and you get to try and have sex with the girls. No good way to make it sound not awful.

anariel

Neo Member
I'd be pretty hard pressed to recommend Drakengard 3, despite the fact that it's pretty far up there on my list of favourite games.

I couldn't even tell you why I love it so much. The framerate is a mess, the load times are awful, the graphics are barely above PS2-grade, the combat is largely uninteresting, the plot takes forever to unfold and the tone is all over the place. The list goes on.

And yet I absolutely adore it.

You probably shouldn't play it.

Zojirushi

For me this is Far Cry 2.

That game's ten times more interesting than its mainstreamed successors but yeah, it can be a pain to play if you don't know how to deal with its quirks.

Congrats OP, in definitely going to play that game now.

My own would probably be Codename: STEAM, at least from recent memory. The art style is weird, the gameplay is a unique mix of turn based strategy and 3rd person shooter. But man, does it nail that strategy goodness.

Another one for me is probably Bound By Flame. It's not really that great, but I had a lot of fun with it and some of its mechanics are actually quite intuitive. The last boss is a bitch though, and lots of the story moments are laughably bad.

Edit: Actually, I do have a way to maybe one-up OP. Saya no Uta, or Song of Saya. Very interesting visual novel with a compelling and twisted story. Unfortunately, is also has
sex scenes
. Play at your own risk, but if you are into VNs it's actually quite good. I don't think I could recommend that to many people I know.

I'm glad at least someone tried my recommendation , hopefully it suits your taste.

Haha, that OP is amazing. Didn't expect it one bit. Thought h-games like Rance were not allowed on Gaf?

To be honest these days I don't recommend games I love to any body any more because if discovered that my tastes are niche and what I like best is not at all what most enjoy.

Katawa Shoujo is an obvious one for me. If you get past the reading then the VN part then the sex there is the part where you need to tell them the game is full of people with disabilities and you get to try and have sex with the girls. No good way to make it sound not awful.

Its always easier to recommend a game with Blood, decapitation , even genocide is fine as long as the race is not human than a game that has any kind of sexuality. Even saving princesses is getting flak .

Yeah, my favorite game of all time is Mirror's Edge but within my circle of friends, "minimal combat/encouraged to never engage in combat", "bold colorful art style", "mellow electronic/synth-pop soundtrack" "free-running/reflex based gameplay" and "oriental female protagonist" will ensure they never even look at the cover art.

At least you get a sequel. I'm still waiting for Vanquish 2.

Azurik: Rise of Perathia (Xbox): I've played the game from start to finish several times and would love to play again. I love the environments, the music, and the use of elements in gameplay. Yet the combat is repetitive, everyone hates the Fire Realm, this one part of the Water Realm requires a lot of patience to solve (since it uses the 5-minute day/night cycle), and the Metacritic score is 52.

QaaQer

FFXIII

Love the shit out of it, but I know its not a great FF game.

My choice too. It has kind of ruined other jrps for me. The battle system is slooooow good once everything unlocks. The world and lore they built was really fantastic. And the music and art direction are to die for. It's a shame it had to be called Final Fantasy.

OBias

NiGHTS Into Dreams. The gameplay loop is somewhat difficult to explain, and without understanding it the game is not as enjoyable as it should be. Also, it is very arcade-y, and many modern gamers aren't familiar with arcade games.

OBias

Half-life 2 death match
I had an amazing time with this up to 2010 (it became increasingly hard to find matches) but it was too simplistic compared to where shooters were going for me to recommend. I once gifted it to a friend in Steam. He played it for five minutes and responded with a "huh?" Whatever. Pinning someone to a wall from across a killcube and then getting ragdolled by a radiator to the face has never been done better.
It's completely broken through engine updates and filled with cheaters who abuse bugs, and Valve doesn't give a shit about it since the launch. I wish there was a community-maintained version of HL2DM that fixes bugs and maybe adds new modes.

Ninja Dom

Bayonetta2boxart.png

Ninja-Gaiden-360-VS-Ninja-Gaiden-Sigma-PS3-2.jpg

Bayonetta series & Ninja Gaiden series.

Amongst my favourite games ever made.

But I play them for the intricate combos and battle systems. Very, very technical games. Far more technical than any of my other gaming friends are prepared for. It's as if they simply just cannot see what I can see.

espher

Heh, I forget where I first heard the Sengoku Rance OST (YouTube on some 'best of list' maybe) but I thought it was fantastic, so I remember I went to look up the game and, well, I was not expecting to find what I found.

For me, it would be Planetside 2, just because it's so brutally unforgiving to new players. There is so much going on, the objectives aren't always clear (they're simple, but since it's persistent world and there's no tangible 'scoring', people get lost), and people don't seem comfortable with the fact that you will die a lot, all the time, early on (and even still after you 'get good'). Also content/update development is (or was) all over the place and new bugs get introduced all day erry day.

Game is fantastic and there's no experience close to it out there in the PC space atm, but it's a hard sell even as a F2P title w/ a totally not P2W monetization model.

Doop

I find it very hard to get my friends to share my love for the binding of Isaac.

It's a weird game, because once you play it for a long time the blood, guts, wombs, and poop don't even register. I showed it to my sister and realized how off putting it is, so her not liking it didn't shock me too much.

Top Bottom