• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

poodpick

Very little details for this one. It was a demo I played on PC in the 90s. Top down shooter where you fought soldiers and maybe aliens? I think you could eat milk duds for health.

Fou-Lu

First was definitely Lufia! Thanks guys. Is it a good game?

Second isn't Secret of Mana, I've played that one enough to have remembered it.

Duress

There's a game for the NES? You were ninjas and you could transform into wave racers and other forms. I think it had 2 player coop. I can't remember for the life of me.

This is really bugging me now, cause it seems familiar xP
But i havent been able to find what it is yet, are there any other distinguishing features you remember? Anything like a word in the title, the amount of discs, name of the developer/publisher, anything else on the box, were there screenshots on the back that you can remember?

Not really, sadly. I believe there was a mean looking father and a mother there as well, and it had a bit of a circus-feeling to it, I guess. I don't know exactly what to compare it to, but I'm pretty sure it was edgy, with some dark humor in it. The thing that bugs me is that I never actually got to play it. I just remember it so vividly, and being so curious as to its contents. But there was a family there, that I remember. That guy with the knife is not the only guy there, at all.

A PC point and click adventure set in an academy where you were planning a sleepover. You had to go around and collect items like sleeping bags etc and I seem to remember at one point trying to find some rope so you could climb out of a window or something. I think it was an all girls academy too. Quite old now, probably released around late 90s.

Circinus

Two platformers that I remember having jungle and train levels are Megaman X4 and Spirou.

Oh yeah, I should have clarified that it was a 3D platformer though. It was 3D platformer with more of an isometric perspective iirc.

But thanks, because I looked up Spirou and thanks to that I saw the Infogrames logo again and now I remember that the game I'm looking for was also an Infogrames game iirc!

So thanks, I might just need to look up a game of games published by Infogrames now. :)

There was a 3D platforming-action game I liked playing on PC when I was a kid (when I was 4 or 5 years old or something I think, so it's probably a game that came out in ~1999 or 1998 (possibly earlier)). I don't remember much of it, but I know there was a level on a train and one level in a more lush, organic, jungle-ish environment.

And it had eggs as collectibles iirc.

I'm not sure, but I think the enemies in the jungle-ish level were insects.

I remember that the graphics were awesome.

It's possible that it was just a demo. It's also possible it's a game from a cereal box.
:p

Edit: It was a 3D platforming games and I think published by Infogrames

EDIT: I found it! ^.^

It's Zapper: One Wicked Cricket

Z0038692.jpg

I was probably like 6 or 7 when I played this game so forgive me if my description is vague. I don't remember much other than I enjoyed playing it for the few days I rented it.

I think it was a SNES platformer where you play as a caveman. I believe you could play with two players.

I was probably like 6 or 7 when I played this game so forgive me if my description is vague. I don't remember much other than I enjoyed playing it for the few days I rented it.

I think it was a SNES platformer where you play as a caveman. I believe you could play with two players.
Joe and Mac Caveman Ninja?

I have been looking for two games that i remember from my childhood.

1. This is the easier one as i remember this one more clearly.

Basically it was a 3d fighting game for the ps1 (think tekken). I remember a couple of characters from this game as well as some of the systems. There was this guy that was invisible but he wore bandages all over his body and a brown trench coat. When he did his super he would fly up and a moon would appear behind him.
There was also a robot looking guy that i think looked like Alphonse from Fullmetal alchemist.
I could also swear that some guy that looked like tomba was a character in this game but i cant be sure.

2. This one is a bit harder as i only played the game a couple of times and i dont know what console it was on (might even have been a pc game).

It was a 2d side scroller that made me think of Metroid. The first level had blueish metal tubes all over and the main character might have had the same colors as Samus.
I never got to play the game for long but the thing that stuck with me was that if you left the game on the title screen a demo reel would play and show you all the moves that you could do later in the game. I remember huge beams and different kinds of bomb.

I tried to include as many details as i could about the games but this was a long time ago (for me) so i might have misremembered some things.

Takao

Banned
I don't think I ever played this game, but I remember reading a story about a PSone game that finally broke even on its original development costs years later on PSN. It was a Japanese game. Google comes up empty.

jimboton

I have been looking for two games that i remember from my childhood.

1. This is the easier one as i remember this one more clearly.

Basically it was a 3d fighting game for the ps1 (think tekken). I remember a couple of characters from this game as well as some of the systems. There was this guy that was invisible but he wore bandages all over his body and a brown trench coat. When he did his super he would fly up and a moon would appear behind him.
There was also a robot looking guy that i think looked like Alphonse from Fullmetal alchemist.
I could also swear that some guy that looked like tomba was a character in this game but i cant be sure.

2. This one is a bit harder as i only played the game a couple of times and i dont know what console it was on (might even have been a pc game).

It was a 2d side scroller that made me think of Metroid. The first level had blueish metal tubes all over and the main character might have had the same colors as Samus.
I never got to play the game for long but the thing that stuck with me was that if you left the game on the title screen a demo reel would play and show you all the moves that you could do later in the game. I remember huge beams and different kinds of bomb.

I tried to include as many details as i could about the games but this was a long time ago (for me) so i might have misremembered some things.

2 sounds like it could be a Turrican game. Did the music absolutely rock?

Who

Banned
Alright GAF I'm convinced this game is a figment of my imagination, please help me retain my sanity.

It was an asteroids type game on the PC with a lot of different ships to choose from. One was a teddy bear IIRC. It scanned files from the computer and had you shooting file icons and labeled them as viruses... Any help?

I think I downloaded it from AOL games.

2 sounds like it could be a Turrican game. Did the music absolutely rock?
I actually had turrican on the nes, but it was not the game i was describing. The one i played looked better/newer and the robot design was different. I took a quick look at all the later turricans to be sure but it wasnt any of them. All i remember is that the first level had blue pipes as platforms and a mostly black background. Cant remember what the music sounded like unfortunately.

Alright GAF I'm convinced this game is a figment of my imagination, please help me retain my sanity.

It was an asteroids type game on the PC with a lot of different ships to choose from. One was a teddy bear IIRC. It scanned files from the computer and had you shooting file icons and labeled them as viruses... Any help?

I think I downloaded it from AOL games.

That is Operation: Inner Space. It was awesome! My favorite ship was the red demon/bat.

Shareware version here.

Who

Banned
I actually had turrican on the nes, but it was not the game i was describing. The one i played looked better/newer and the robot design was different. I took a quick look at all the later turricans to be sure but it wasnt any of them. All i remember is that the first level had blue pipes as platforms and a mostly black background. Cant remember what the music sounded like unfortunately.

That is Operation: Inner Space. It was awesome! My favorite ship was the red demon/bat.

Shareware version here.

Dude... Thank you

Qwark

I remember seeing a video of a game on a forum, can't remember what it was called though. It looked like Sonic but for SNES (I think), except the walls rotated a lot. There was a lot of platforming, in a factory/mine like setting, and you collected coins/rings or something. The main character may have had a weapon, I don't remember. I think people use it to show off the speed of the SNES, but it looked pretty miserable to play.

LGom09

I remember seeing a video of a game on a forum, can't remember what it was called though. It looked like Sonic but for SNES (I think), except the walls rotated a lot. There was a lot of platforming, in a factory/mine like setting, and you collected coins/rings or something. The main character may have had a weapon, I don't remember. I think people use it to show off the speed of the SNES, but it looked pretty miserable to play.
*barf*

lcap

Guys, I remember playing a demo of a game when I kid. It was a PC fighting game with a rat and other animals that transformed into robots or something, do any of you remember that?

Once I played a 2D arcade fighting game. I remember 2 attacks: A tsunami flooding the arena and a giant hand grabbing the player.

Does anyone remember that?

Nocturnx

1. I can't remember if this was a JRPG or action-rpg, on the Sega Genesis and like in typical JRPG fashion the game starts with your character waking up in a mysterious land. You have amnesia too I think. The town you wake up in or find at the beginning of the game is inhabited by walking talking bears. It's kind of a forest village. I think it may have played like a Zelda game.... can't quite remember. I think the first dungeon was a cave along a river. Any ideas?

2. An old PC game or Commodore 64 game. You ran through the halls of a hotel or mansion side-scroller style and go in different doors which would make you play classic arcade games. So you would go in a door and have to play a round of Space Invaders. Some of the doors were a joke and would just be a bathroom maybe.

1. I can't remember if this was a JRPG or action-rpg, on the Sega Genesis and like in typical JRPG fashion the game starts with your character waking up in a mysterious land. You have amnesia too I think. The town you wake up in or find at the beginning of the game is inhabited by walking talking bears. It's kind of a forest village. I think it may have played like a Zelda game.... can't quite remember. I think the first dungeon was a cave along a river. Any ideas?

That's Landstalker. 1st town definitely has talking bear people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rWEOtY-wLI

dearodie

I have nothing to go on for this game I'm trying to remember except that

1. It was on the original game boy
2. It was a fighting game
3. I think maybe one of the characters could jump off the side of the screen and come back with the hard ass attack to dodge, kind of like Vega in SF2 but he would actually go completely off the screen.

And I'm not even all that sure about #3. :lol Super vague, but I know I'll remember it when I see it.

::edit::
Also, I think all the matches actually took place in a ring, like a boxing ring with ropes and such.

"The Kickboxing"? Aka "Best of the best: Championship Karate"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cspquDS8kX4

EDIT: Oops, wrong page .. :(

eso76

2. An old PC game or Commodore 64 game. You ran through the halls of a hotel or mansion side-scroller style and go in different doors which would make you play classic arcade games. So you would go in a door and have to play a round of Space Invaders. Some of the doors were a joke and would just be a bathroom maybe.

Lazy Jones

Citadel

Very little memory of these two games... Hell, they both could be the same one.

1) I believe it was a turn-based JRPG for the SNES... All I remember is the party fighting some winged (red?) demons over a cliffside.. or maybe falling down a cliffside.

2) Another turn-based JRPG for the SNES but this one had something to do with crystals. You had a large party of characters to use/switch/play with. At the end of the game, the entire cast is standing around talking around a crystal, i think.

mazpratim

1) I believe it was a turn-based JRPG for the SNES... All I remember is the party fighting some winged (red?) demons over a cliffside.. or maybe falling down a cliffside.

2) Another turn-based JRPG for the SNES but this one had something to do with crystals. You had a large party of characters to use/switch/play with. At the end of the game, the entire cast is standing around talking around a crystal, i think.
Final Fantasy 4?

urfe

I once asked about a game, and it looks like it turned out to be Robowarrior for the NES, but I had remembered another game as part of if, and I have very few details.

I think it was a side scrolling game like Contra with different weapons, one of them being where the bullets bounced on the ground. I also think in between levels you entered trees and could buy or receive new weapons.

Very hazy, and info may not be true.

Any ideas anyone?

Niahak

The only west-released JRPGs for SNES I remember with really large casts are Final Fantasy 3/6 or Paladin's Quest (where you can only switch out at the end). 7th Saga might qualify since your entire quest revolves around gathering orbs and you have 7 characters, but you really can't switch in that one very easily. Could it have been fan-translated?

There aren't really all that many turn-based ones released here. The Final Fantasies, Lufia 1&2, Breath of Fire games, and a few other oddballs.

I once asked about a game, and it looks like it turned out to be Robowarrior for the NES, but I had remembered another game as part of if, and I have very few details.

I think it was a side scrolling game like Contra with different weapons, one of them being where the bullets bounced on the ground. I also think in between levels you entered trees and could buy or receive new weapons.

Very hazy, and info may not be true.

Any ideas anyone?

Xexyz? Fun game, pretty odd though.

1) Kinda sounds a little like Bahamut Lagoon.

Bahamut_Lagoon_-_1996_-_Square_Co.,_Ltd..jpg

lordy88

Doesn't fully fit the bill but maybe Chip's Challenge? It's a somewhat frequent game asked in these kinds of threads.

It's not Chip's Challenge, but thanks for the thought.

Kye?

Edit: Could possibly be a member of the Hero's Heart family, too.

It's similar to Hero's Heart, but that's not the one. I can only think of a level with a dark background where you had to enter a door at the end of the level, with some odd looking enemy in your way. I could have sworn the character you control looked similar to a blue Pac-Man ghost.

Alright, trying to sort out a game.

I'm trying to help the guy above with the smiley face game that's similar to Chip's Challenge. During the same time period of Windows 3.1 I played a game that might be the same but is likely just a clone of others that went around.

First off, it's like Kye. I had completely forgotten about this game until I started this search for the other person's game and then started searching for this mystery game of my own. To get a good idea, here's Kye: http://xye.sourceforge.net/kye.php

I'm really certain the game I'm thinking of was called Heart or Hearts. Or possibly that was just part of the title. Also, it's NOT Heartlight except it appears to play pretty much the same as that. Heartlight's characters and graphics are too zoomed in. But the concept seemed the same and I believe the character you moved around might have been elven (again, zoomed out old Windows 3.1 graphics and 20+ years past since I played, could be a bit off). I distinctly remember a grassy tileset, water that you died in, rafts to cross water, ice that made you slide from one side to the next, rocks that fell when you collected the ground below them (often puzzles dealt with the rocks), and snakes that would only move one tile closer to you as you moved. I know there were other enemies and obstacles (pretty sure fire was another as well as arrow trap things).

Looking at all the stuff on Heartlight it's almost an exact match but graphically it's way different so I'm sure the game I'm thinking of is just a clone. I feel like I'm so close to finding it but I can't. Ugh.

Kye?

Edit: Could possibly be a member of the Hero's Heart family, too.

Just quoting a post of mine from a couple years ago because mclem inadvertently found the game I was trying to find. Hero's Heart was the one.

I just happened to go down to my father's home where he had four boxes of old PC stuff he gave to me, mostly just big cardboard game boxes, but also had tons of floppies that I figured I'd get a 3.5" drive just so I could go through them and find the game since I knew I had saved a bunch of the maps I had created for the game. I also came across Herman and the Falling Rocks in a game pack when I was looking through the stuff and thought maybe that was the game and I had messed up a bunch of details. I'm glad to see I wasn't crazy trying to remember Hero's Heart.

Thanks mclem!

mclem

Just quoting a post of mine from a couple years ago because mclem inadvertently found the game I was trying to find. Hero's Heart was the one.

I just happened to go down to my father's home where he had four boxes of old PC stuff he gave to me, mostly just big cardboard game boxes, but also had tons of floppies that I figured I'd get a 3.5" drive just so I could go through them and find the game since I knew I had saved a bunch of the maps I had created for the game. I also came across Herman and the Falling Rocks in a game pack when I was looking through the stuff and thought maybe that was the game and I had messed up a bunch of details. I'm glad to see I wasn't crazy trying to remember Hero's Heart.

Thanks mclem!

Heh. I remember that first post, and I just couldn't get beyond Heartlight at the time, despite your denials!

Trying to remember a game that has been annoying me for a few years,

Things I remember about the game

Was released on the Amiga 500
It was a top down shooter
Futuristic
You played as robots and could upgrade your legs/weapons/etc..
You had objectives
It had digitised photos of real people/enemys
Its had a blue/grey colour palette

Thats it, hope you can help!

Edit: Found it SOON after, sorry guys. For anyone interested it was Universal Warrior

Top Bottom