• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

didevol

Hey! I'm looking for 2 PC games. I think I've played them on Windows 3.1 (was 6 or 7 yo).

First one was some kind of first person RPG and point&click, I don't really remember the enemies/bosses but I think it was about dragons...

The second is a game with mecha, you can upgrade your mecha/part of your mecha. I have so little memory of this game expect the fact that I didn't understand shit and ir was pissing me off :/

Shadowgate maybe?

AmyS

I love this thread cause I always wanna try out games I never heard of, forgotten about or haven't played in a long time.

There was an xbox orignal fighting game where one character was a big prisoner and had a ball n chain connected to his hand or something. Name included a number I think like 'Number 23' or something.

It had stages like Rise of the Imperfects, not 2D.

Never remember it for the life of me.

Was it Tao Feng: Fist of the Lotus?

There was an xbox orignal fighting game where one character was a big prisoner and had a ball n chain connected to his hand or something. Name included a number I think like 'Number 23' or something.

It had stages like Rise of the Imperfects, not 2D.

Never remember it for the life of me.

Barbarian. Has a character named 21 that has a ball and chain I believe.

jerry1594

There's a game on ios where you direct a line to an endpoint, you can slow down the speed temporarily and it kind of looks like vector graphics. published by Nicalis. It seems to have been completely removed though. I didn't find it on the app store or my apps list.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
There's a game on ios where you direct a line to an endpoint, you can slow down the speed temporarily and it kind of looks like vector graphics. published by Nicalis. It seems to have been completely removed though. I didn't find it on the app store or my apps list.

Well, this is what the Nicalis wikipedia says:

Developed
1001 Spikes (Steam PC / OS X / Linux, PS4, PS Vita, 3DS, and Wii U) with 8-bit Fanatics
Big Brother (Mobile)
Cave Story (3DS, DSiWare, Wiiware) with Daisuke Amaya
Cave Story 3D (3DS) with Daisuke Amaya
Cave Story Plus (Linux, Mac OS X, Windows) with Daisuke Amaya
Castle in the Darkness (Mac OS X, Windows) with Studio Pixel
Dance Dance Revolution (Mobile)
Dance Dance Revolution: Mobius (Android)
Grinsia (3DS, Windows)
Guxt (3DS)
Ikachan (3DS) with Daisuke Amaya
Legend of Raven (PS4, PS Vita, Xbox One)
MLB Power Pros Baseball (Mobile)
NightSky (3DS, iOS, Linux, Mac OS X, Windows) with Nifflas
Rock Revolution (Mobile)
Swift Switch (iOS)
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (Mac OS X, PS4, Linux, PS Vita, Windows) with Edmund McMillen
The Electric Company Wordball! (iOS)

Published
1001 Spikes (3DS, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One)
Castle In The Darkness (Windows)
Cave Story (3DS, DSiWare, Wiiware)
Cave Story Plus (Linux, Mac OS X, Windows)
Grinsia (3DS, Windows)
Guxt (3DS)
Ikachan (3DS)
Legend of Raven (PS4, PS Vita, Xbox One)
NightSky (3DS, iOS, Linux, Mac OS X, Windows)
Swift Switch (iOS)
The 90s Arcade Racer (Wii U, Windows)
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (Mac OS X, PS4, Linux, PS Vita, Windows)
Toribash (Linux, Mac OS X, WiiWare, Windows)
VVVVVV (3DS)

So, any of those?

A game from the Genesis era. I I remember you could be a warrior, barbarian or some type of ranged character. The last battle took place on a black and white tile floor in a large area like a castle maybe. The main bad guy is a big Sauron-esque Armored guy. Any idea?

I wish I had more info, but I may have been 3 or 4 when I watched my older brothers play it. They remember the game, but can't for the life of us remember the name.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
A game from the Genesis era. I I remember you could be a warrior, barbarian or some type of ranged character. The last battle took place on a black and white tile floor in a large area like a castle maybe. The main bad guy is a big Sauron-esque Armored guy. Any idea?

I wish I had more info, but I may have been 3 or 4 when I watched my older brothers play it. They remember the game, but can't for the life of us remember the name.
Golden Axe?

He says that's not it. =

I thought you were right.

A long shot but maybe Street Smart? Do you know why he thinks it might be Weaponlord? Is it the graphics, the setting, is there something there that reminds him of the game? Did it have hand drawn or real actors like Mortal Kombat? I'm thinking it might also be Eternal Champions or Time Killers, but I don't think the crowd cheering fits.

Was it sidescrolling like Golden Axe or maybe isometric or top-down like Gauntlet or Arcus Odyssey?

A long shot but maybe Street Smart? Do you know why he thinks it might be Weaponlord? Is it the graphics, the setting, is there something there that reminds him of the game? Did it have hand drawn or real actors like Mortal Kombat? I'm thinking it might also be Eternal Champions or Time Killers, but I don't think the crowd cheering fits.

Negative on Street Smart, Eternal Champions, and Time Killers. I suspected Primal Rage, but he shot that one down.

He couldn't really elaborate on why he thought it was Weaponlord. He just said it "kinda fit". I pulled out my SNES and verified that there is no crowd cheer when you do fatalities in that one, so unless someone miraculously figures it out, he may be out of luck.

Golden Axe 2 on Megadrive has a high-tech checker board stage, and you fight a beautiful golden Sauron-esque armoured guy. Actually, come to think of it, it might not have been an in-game level, but a sort of 'battle arena' like Guardian Heroes had.

Paasei

I remember 2 ps1 games.

One was a game where you were a giant robotic red beetle or spider. You had to shoot terrorists at the docks (demo). You could walk on everything, no matter how steep. Like a true insect.

Other one is a diving game. You could capture and kill fish. Were long levels instead of wide. Entire levels were spent underwater. Don't remember much else about it, sadly.

eso76

I remember 2 ps1 games.

One was a game where you were a giant robotic red beetle or spider. You had to shoot terrorists at the docks (demo). You could walk on everything, no matter how steep. Like a true insect.

Other one is a diving gam. You could capture and kill fish. Were long levels instead of wide. Don't remember much else about it, sadly.

1st is Ghost in the Shell

I remember 2 ps1 games.

Other one is a diving gam. You could capture and kill fish. Were long levels instead of wide. Don't remember much else about it, sadly.

Ghost in the Shell, it sounds like.

Bii

A long shot here, but maybe it'll pan out. Friend is trying to remember a game from the SNES/Genesis era. He says all he can remember is that it's either a fighting game or brawler (I'm not ruling out a wrestling game because I didn't play those back then) where there is a crowd cheering noise. This noise occurs only during either the completion of a combo or during a finishing move. He also says that the sound almost the crowd is saying "hoot yeah".

He's ruled out MK2, but says he thinks it's Weaponlord. I don't remember Weaponlord having crowd effects. I brought up the Mutant League games, but they don't fit the descriptions.

Anyone got an idea?

Maybe Astral Bout 2? It's a fighting/wrestling game, Maeda does a quick "hoot yeah" when he finishes certain moves and there's a crowd in the background:

https://youtu.be/wdfovUeBN5Q?t=282

Golden Axe?

Was it sidescrolling like Golden Axe or maybe isometric or top-down like Gauntlet or Arcus Odyssey?

Golden Axe 2 on Megadrive has a high-tech checker board stage, and you fight a beautiful golden Sauron-esque armoured guy. Actually, come to think of it, it might not have been an in-game level, but a sort of 'battle arena' like Guardian Heroes had.

Golden Axe 2. You guys... are AWESOME! That's it! I've toiled away for years trying to find the name of this game. Thanks again!

PS1 game, pretty sure it was sci-fi, and it may have taken place in space.

But right off the bat, you're walking down a hallway, and you're stopped by someone who says "Slowly turn to the right." (or left, don't remember which), and if you oblige, you're fine, but if you turn the wrong way, they shoot you and you have to start over.

Golden Axe felt so obvious I didn't even dare suggest it, lol.

Hah, I feel so stupid. I didn't know it was one of the greatest megadrive games of all time. I was simply a 3 year old kid watching his brothers play a game that got lost.

Some day they'll be a kid saying something like "You're a soldier and a nuke went off... Can't remember anything else" and I'll know how you feel.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Hah, I feel so stupid. I didn't know it was one of the greatest megadrive games of all time. I was simply a 3 year old kid watching his brothers play a game that got lost.

Some day they'll be a kid saying something like "You're a soldier and a nuke went off... Can't remember anything else" and I'll know how you feel.

No worries, man. Can't know about every stupid game out there. Glad you found what you were looking for.

mclem

Nah. 95% of the time, it's a description of something from the first level. Admittedly, that might be because the era we're generally talking about people would replay the first level repeatedly, which doesn't really happen these days!

Here's one that popped into my head the other day. It was a PC game (DOS maybe?) from the mid 90s but it might be older than that. I can barely remember how it played but it might've been a sidescroller with cartoony graphics. The main thing I remember about it was the level select screen was the map of the US but everything was messed up. I distinctly remember California having broken off into the Pacific after an earthquake and it's now a chain of islands.

Any ideas? It's pretty vague but it was driving me nuts. The title might've even had "USA" in it.

Skulldead

I try to remember a game on PC during year 93-95, it was a platformer in 2D with a guy how look like a barbarian with a sword. I remember i was able to grind Max Hp (red round or square like gauge if i remember) by enemies drop or by killing endless enemies. I think the demo was in castle like background with wooden Bridges.

I play a demo on a shareware Demo disk with Doom, Beavest and Butt Head point and click to place the era of the release.

Here's one that popped into my head the other day. It was a PC game (DOS maybe?) from the mid 90s but it might be older than that. I can barely remember how it played but it might've been a sidescroller with cartoony graphics. The main thing I remember about it was the level select screen was the map of the US but everything was messed up. I distinctly remember California having broken off into the Pacific after an earthquake and it's now a chain of islands.

Any ideas? It's pretty vague but it was driving me nuts. The title might've even had "USA" in it.

Souns like it might be Arcade America. Man, I knew exactly what the game's name was but google straight up refused to give me results, I was starting to become a bit paranoid right there.

sHOC40g.png

I try to remember a game on PC during year 93-95, it was a platformer in 2D with a guy how look like a barbarian with a sword. I remember i was able to grind Max Hp (red round or square like gauge if i remember) by enemies drop or by killing endless enemies. I think the demo was in castle like background with wooden Bridges.

I play a demo on a shareware Demo disk with Doom, Beavest and Butt Head point and click to place the era of the release.

Old PC games with Barbarian-esque protagonists that I can remember:
Savage
Barbarian II (Axe of Rage)
Gods
Unreal
Conan The Cimmerian
Deathbringer
Targhan
Wrath of the Demon
Realms of Chaos
Trojan
Onslaught
Knight Force
Rastan

Vbrasa

I remember as a kid, I played this arcade machine that I loved a lot, but cannot seem to remember the name of it.

You were a kid wizard and had to go through levels (kinda like ghosts and goblins) and you used spells as your weapon, and sometimes you'd get power ups and stuff that would change your spell.

You had to save your girlfriend from either a dragon or a wizard (I can't fully remember for the life of me, because I never made it to the end).

It might have been either a Namco or Konami game, and it was 8-bit like graphics I believe.

-Stryder-

It's like Contra it's top down on the NES.

Most of the world looks yellow and pink.

two players.

All I remember

Not Contra

jester_

Great platformer on Genesis where the character was green and could shape shift. Started with a V or something I think!

DTJAAAAM

I remember as a kid, I played this arcade machine that I loved a lot, but cannot seem to remember the name of it.

You were a kid wizard and had to go through levels (kinda like ghosts and goblins) and you used spells as your weapon, and sometimes you'd get power ups and stuff that would change your spell.

You had to save your girlfriend from either a dragon or a wizard (I can't fully remember for the life of me, because I never made it to the end).

It might have been either a Namco or Konami game, and it was 8-bit like graphics I believe.

Wardner?

two players.

All I remember

Not Contra

Ikari Warriors?

Who

Banned
Ok.

It was an educational video game I played on the school computers in elementary school. All I remember is one minigame where you're in a helicopter dumping rain on a fire in the rain forest. I also remember little cheetah and jaguar sprites running around.

Hanmik

Could it be (one of my favourite arcade games) Midnight Wanderers..?

va9ntIE.png

niuqqRf.png

It was in a special arcade machine with 3 games.
uxP00Cl.jpg

Glassboy

I cannot for the life of me remember this game and it has been bothering me for some time. Here are a few details
-PC game
-Maybe released around the same time as "Incoming", as I remember seeing previews at that time
-I believe it was a squad shooter
-very bloody
-desert setting
-I remember a girl and boy character

That's about it. Someone please help me!

eso76

Going to take a wild stab at this and say it's:

Wardner

WardnerArcadeScreen1.png

Feck, someone suggested Wardner already

Menthuss

I vaguely remember a 2D sidescroller on PC where you controlled (bear with me here) a flat surface or plate that punched enemies with disembodied hands. Sounds very bizarre I know but it's just about the only thing I can remember about it. It might have also had the word "Electric" in the title.

EDIT: Funny, I just remembered the name myself: Electronic Popple

3823-ElectronicPopple.jpg

Niahak

two players.

All I remember

Not Contra

In addition to other suggestions, could be Guerilla War. I'm not sure about pink but plenty of the stages are yellowish (more so than some other games).

Souns like it might be Arcade America. Man, I knew exactly what the game's name was but google straight up refused to give me results, I was starting to become a bit paranoid right there.

YESSSS! That's totally it! Wow watching a video of the intro is bringing back memories. Thank you!

Who

Banned
Ok.

It was an educational video game I played on the school computers in elementary school. All I remember is one minigame where you're in a helicopter dumping rain on a fire in the rain forest. I also remember little cheetah and jaguar sprites running around.

Anyone? It's driving me nuts :(

Anyone? It's driving me nuts :(

Could you give us a rough time period, was it the 8-bit home computer era or PC DOS/Windows, approximately which year? Some detail about the graphics, colors, quality or similarities with other games? Also the point of view, was it top-down, isometric, side view etc?

Top Bottom