• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Farks!

I remember playing the demo for a jRPG on the PS1 back in the day. The encounters began with a screen melting effect and a swooshing sound if I remember correctly. Don't recall much else about it.

There was a game I used to play on PC. It involved a bunch of people on an island. You could build things maybe and you solved mysteries on the island. It seemed like a mobile game but this was before the mobile game trend. I thought it was called islanders.

mclem

There was a game I used to play on PC. It involved a bunch of people on an island. You could build things maybe and you solved mysteries on the island. It seemed like a mobile game but this was before the mobile game trend. I thought it was called islanders.

Virtual Villagers?

Neonsands

Neo Member
I remember playing a demo for some crazy PS1 game. It was japanese (I think), and super simple. You played as a white hand holding some kind of blue stick. And you had to navigate a maze without touching the walls. I think there was a timer too.

I remember playing a demo for some crazy PS1 game. It was japanese (I think), and super simple. You played as a white hand holding some kind of blue stick. And you had to navigate a maze without touching the walls. I think there was a timer too.

OK, I've never played or seen the game before, but this has to be Irritating Stick.

Sounds like Denryu Ira-Ira Bou.. I believe one version of it came out here as Irritating Stick.

Ok, time for a weird one... It was a 90's PC game about blue aliens that go into a house under a bed. They meet a living pencil and get chased by a cat. It was kind of a choose your own adventurey game with multiple paths, if I remember correctly. It was in that "sort of CGI, but not quite" style of computer games of that era. I played it on a Windows 3.1 if that helps...

Engell

I have one from the C64 era(maybe amiga, but 95% it was C64)..
you where this dude who was making music, and you had to collect samples in the city(they where different colors for their styles), then when you had enough you had to go back to you sampler/keyboard/computer and put them together to form some kind of rhythm, the game would then in some way judge the track and if it was good enough you could get to perform it(where you could do some extra things like clap, drums etc.), think the goal was to get a record deal.

Gradon

The only game I can recall that I do not remember fully (and probably doesn't exist/made up in my child mind?) was a SNES game with two playable characters, pink and blue is all I remember and a girl and a boy. It had mechs I think? Anime styled? And it played like Metal Slug?
Gosh I don't even know if I fully remember it because it was when I was like 3 years old, so it might not even exist but that's all I remember.

Might as well try again... no-one's cracked this so far, though!

PC game, late 90's early 2000's, seemed to come pre-installed with the computer.
Anyway, it was a kind of flying/shooting game where you piloted a ship around space caves (best I can do...) environments varied from weird futuristic buildings to rugged terrain. There were a multitude of enemies, like robots that fired missiles at you. Anyway, I could have sworn the levels were procedurally generated - either that or it was one big random map, with random spawn points I believe... I always tried looking for particular places once I'd respawned but could never find them? Maybe I was just young and stupid(er). Either way it seemed big. Graphics were dark, early 3D... sprites too.
I'm trying to remember if it was open world, and I think it was... you seemed to be able to fly around at will. Remember playing this on either a Gateway 2000 PC.

Anyway, any guesses? Had a bunch of suggestions in the past but no such luck :(

The only game I can recall that I do not remember fully (and probably doesn't exist/made up in my child mind?) was a SNES game with two playable characters, pink and blue is all I remember and a girl and a boy. It had mechs I think? Anime styled? And it played like Metal Slug?
Gosh I don't even know if I fully remember it because it was when I was like 3 years old, so it might not even exist but that's all I remember.

Are you sure it wasnt a Genesis game called Gunstar heroes?

Edit: Unless if you meant MegamanX......lol

mclem

you where this dude who was making music, and you had to collect samples in the city(they where different colors for their styles), then when you had enough you had to go back to you sampler/keyboard/computer and put them together to form some kind of rhythm, the game would then in some way judge the track and if it was good enough you could get to perform it(where you could do some extra things like clap, drums etc.), think the goal was to get a record deal.

Could that be the decidedly odd Give My Regards To Broad Street?

Yes, based on the movie

Hells Salesman

Neo Member
ok this is a hard one i could never find out.

facts i remember:
ca. 1997 on a shareware games cd out of a magazine there was this game.
you fly a small spaceship/jet through a level where the only objective is to finish the level without crashing. so you only change directions and slow down/speed up.
the track kinda floats in space and if you leave it you crash/fall down. the track has of course all kinds of traps and variations.
graphics are 2D, kinda like viewpoint. also the isometric view was very similar to viewpoint on neogeo.

mclem

I love this thread so much. It should be a sticky.

I keep meaning to go through the thread and try to get some sort of tally of how often certain games appear on it (For instance, Incoming and Skyroads, both of which are, I think, approaching double figures in appearances), and get some sort of association between a game and the sorts of things people recall about it. If nothing else, it might be useful as a reference material for people to go to first, before asking the thread.

Gradon

Are you sure it wasnt a Genesis game called Gunstar heroes?

Edit: Unless if you meant MegamanX......lol

It could've been Mega Drive, but no I don't think it was Gunstar Heroes... The playable female character was in pink and the male character was in blue. Or on the character select screen one side was pink and one side was blue? My memory is so foggy.
Also not Megaman lol.

Engell

Ok, time for a weird one... It was a 90's PC game about blue aliens that go into a house under a bed. They meet a living pencil and get chased by a cat. It was kind of a choose your own adventurey game with multiple paths, if I remember correctly. It was in that "sort of CGI, but not quite" style of computer games of that era. I played it on a Windows 3.1 if that helps...

wild guess would be "pajama sam", he is kind of a blue alien and almost everything talks

Could be "To be on Top" with music from Chris Huelsbeck, who made Hits like Turrican and Apidya.

It could've been Mega Drive, but no I don't think it was Gunstar Heroes... The playable female character was in pink and the male character was in blue. Or on the character select screen one side was pink and one side was blue? My memory is so foggy.
Also not Megaman lol.

Was it a Playstation game maybe? Rapid Reload - Gunners Heaven was also a 2D-game like Metal Slug and had a blue boy and a pink girl.

Glowsquid

I'm looking for a game I played as a kid.(around 95-99) I don't know the pattform but I'm quite sure it was a console since I think I played it against my brother, but could be that I'm mixing it up with SF2 here.

Its a fighting games and all I really remember is that two characters were robots(or robot looking) and one was blue and the other one was red.
I think one of the maps was the roof of a tall building.

A stretch, but maybe Street Combat? Two of the player characters are guys in vaguely robotic-looking armour and one of the stage is atop a construction site.

Übermatik;171054227 said:

PC game, late 90's early 2000's, seemed to come pre-installed with the computer.
Anyway, it was a kind of flying/shooting game where you piloted a ship around space caves (best I can do...) environments varied from weird futuristic buildings to rugged terrain. There were a multitude of enemies, like robots that fired missiles at you. Anyway, I could have sworn the levels were procedurally generated - either that or it was one big random map, with random spawn points I believe... I always tried looking for particular places once I'd respawned but could never find them? Maybe I was just young and stupid(er). Either way it seemed big. Graphics were dark, early 3D... sprites too.
I'm trying to remember if it was open world, and I think it was... you seemed to be able to fly around at will. Remember playing this on either a Gateway 2000 PC.

Could be a number of games, I'm sure, but I'll suggest Terminal Velocity as I feel that got some heavy demo play. I know I played it only as some form of shareware at a friend's house.

Could always be something like Forsaken or Descent, too.

Aggie CMD

Here is one I'm being to doubt ever existed and is a figment of my childhood mind (like an imaginary friend)...

I remember it being a gift from my grandmother which is odd because she really isn't the gift giving type. It was for the NES and was a paint-style game (like Color A Dinosaur). This was before Mario Paint and my knowledge of MS Paint so it was something else. Not really, I can only recall it being incredibly boring. The cart sticker had a picture of a tiger. Like a photo of a real tiger not a cartoon tiger. This leads me to believe the game was called something along the lines to Tiger Art or Tiger Paint or Tiger Something Something. I sold it in a garage sale with my NES to fund my purchase of a SNES. Never saw it again.

GAF, what game is this?

Could be a number of games, I'm sure, but I'll suggest Terminal Velocity as I feel that got some heavy demo play. I know I played it only as some form of shareware at a friend's house.

Could always be something like Forsaken or Descent, too.

Definitely not Terminal Velocity, Forsaken's graphics are way too good for it to be that (also not familiar at all) it COULD be Descent (remember someone else suggesting this), but I seem to remember the graphics being crappier and the setting as in space, not in 'corridors'... Only thing is, Descent's menu seems familiar.

Hmmm. Still not sold on it, though.

*EDIT* Just had another look at Terminal Velocity... some of it seems very familiar. Perhaps you were right. Again, still not convinced, but I think that' because a) it was a long time ago and b) there were a lot of similar games around that time.

If it help this was the same time as Blam! Machinehead.

*EDIT2* I'm now pretty sure it's Terminal Velocity! It has a kind of boost mechanic? I remember that. Did you take damage from collisions? 'Cos I remember that too. I think I must have had a demo disk, because I distinctly remember the dark/space levels, but I could never have been good enough at such a young age to actually get that far in the full game...

Here is one I'm being to doubt ever existed and is a figment of my childhood mind (like an imaginary friend)...

I remember it being a gift from my grandmother which is odd because she really isn't the gift giving type. It was for the NES and was a paint-style game (like Color A Dinosaur). This was before Mario Paint and my knowledge of MS Paint so it was something else. Not really, I can only recall it being incredibly boring. The cart sticker had a picture of a tiger. Like a photo of a real tiger not a cartoon tiger. This leads me to believe the game was called something along the lines to Tiger Art or Tiger Paint or Tiger Something Something. I sold it in a garage sale with my NES to fund my purchase of a SNES. Never saw it again.

GAF, what game is this?

Heh, at first I thought of the horrible LJN Video Art Console, but the Tiger cover art says it's definetly Videomation for the NES.

mclem

Übermatik;171061466 said:
Definitely not Terminal Velocity, Forsaken's graphics are way too good for it to be that (also not familiar at all) it COULD be Descent (remember someone else suggesting this), but I seem to remember the graphics being crappier and the setting as in space, not in 'corridors'... Only thing is, Descent's menu seems familiar.

Hmmm. Still not sold on it, though.

*EDIT* Just had another look at Terminal Velocity... some of it seems very familiar. Perhaps you were right. Again, still not convinced, but I think that' because a) it was a long time ago and b) there were a lot of similar games around that time.

If it help this was the same time as Blam! Machinehead.

*EDIT2* I'm now pretty sure it's Terminal Velocity! It has a kind of boost mechanic? I remember that. Did you take damage from collisions? 'Cos I remember that too. I think I must have had a demo disk, because I distinctly remember the dark/space levels, but I could never have been good enough at such a young age to actually get that far in the full game...

For what it's worth, take a look also at Fury3 and Hellblazer, which aren't sequels to TV but share the same engine.

Dinjoralo

I remember my babysitters bringing over a game for the PS2 when I was young. It was an amine style RPG with an in game clock, and it involved time travel with a train. And there was some puzzle involving butterflies that were different colors of the rainbow.

DTJAAAAM

I remember my babysitters bringing over a game for the PS2 when I was young. It was an amine style RPG with an in game clock, and it involved time travel with a train. And there was some puzzle involving butterflies that were different colors of the rainbow.

Shadow of Memories?

Teppic

Übermatik;171054227 said:

Maybe Radix: Beyond the Void.

Dereck

I'm looking for a SNES JRPG, where in the beginning of the game, you start out in the middle of the woods. You have party of what I think is 4-5 different people, and you fight a pack of wolves.

Piccoro

Hi, sorry but I'm trying to remember the name of a game. It is not an old game, but an upcoming game.
I hope it's OK to ask here.

A few months ago I saw a picture of a upcoming indie PS4 game (I think?). It is 2D. Two players standing on a fixed screen, one on the left, the other on the right. The characters had some sort of weapon on their hands. They shoot (?) and hit a flying ball trying to score a goal on the opposing side.
It felt like some kind of futuristic sport, with the graphics reminiscent of the 16-bit era.
Anyone has any idea what game this is? It's driving me crazy...

I'm looking for a SNES JRPG, where in the beginning of the game, you start out in the middle of the woods. You have party of what I think is 4-5 different people, and you fight a pack of wolves.

Tales of Phantasia?

Final Fantasy 2 might also fit the description of how the game starts better, but your fighting 4 knight horsemen, not wolves.

Edit: nvm, forgot FF2 (real FF2) was not on SNES....

Dereck

Tales of Phantasia?

Final Fantasy 2 might also fit the description of how the game starts better, but your fighting 4 knight horsemen, not wolves.

Edit: nvm, forgot FF2 (real FF2) was not on SNES....
It's probably just a part of Chrono Trigger, I never believe that my memory is anything but bad.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Hi, sorry but I'm trying to remember the name of a game. It is not an old game, but an upcoming game.
I hope it's OK to ask here.

A few months ago I saw a picture of a upcoming indie PS4 game (I think?). It is 2D. Two players standing on a fixed screen, one on the left, the other on the right. The characters had some sort of weapon on their hands. They shoot (?) and hit a flying ball trying to score a goal on the opposing side.
It felt like some kind of futuristic sport, with the graphics reminiscent of the 16-bit era.
Anyone has any idea what game this is? It's driving me crazy...

Sounds like Gunsport, by Necrosoft Games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc8zaslMkgo

doomquake

Hi all - made an own thread about this but will post it where it belongs now!

Seeking help remembering an old game - Commodore64 or Amiga 500

For many years I've been trying to track down a game I (vaguely) remember, but haven't had much luck. I've tried on Lemon64 and Amiga forums some years ago, but recently this memory started to bug me again so I would like to start the search again - and figure why not ask GAF?

The game is most certainly from Commodore 64 or Amiga 500 - very low chance it was on Commodore 4+ (would be funny).

In my memory it is a 2D scroller akin to Rick Dangerous. I clearly remember shooting at soldiers in gray uniform and them collapsing into a pile of bones. I also clearly remember being able to put on the gray uniform and walking through holes in the wall. I remember the screens had a sky and ground (not caves). I don't remember if there were ladders.

Perhaps you have sometime to share some thoughts?
let's go!

magiustra

For many years I've been trying to track down a game I (vaguely) remember, but haven't had much luck. I've tried on Lemon64 and Amiga forums some years ago, but recently this memory started to bug me again so I would like to start the search again - and figure why not ask GAF?

The game is most certainly from Commodore 64 or Amiga 500 - very low chance it was on Commodore 4+ (would be funny).

In my memory it is a 2D scroller akin to Rick Dangerous. I clearly remember shooting at soldiers in gray uniform and them collapsing into a pile of bones. I also clearly remember being able to put on the gray uniform and walking through holes in the wall. I remember the screens had a sky and ground (not caves). I don't remember if there were ladders.

let's go!

It's Joe Blade on C64, I guess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8bjwlTu9-Y

R.

mclem

let's go!

I'll move my comments to here!

My first thought was a member of the Joe Blade family. Certainly has grey uniforms - which I'm pretty sure you can disguise yourself as - and I think I recall characters collapsing into piles of bones.

2KJu0Zq.gif

Terrified

Ok, I'm gonna finally throw my mystery hat into the ring with a bit of a doozie.

I recall a game that I only ever played the demo of. I know it was in the mid 90's (ish), and I genuinely can't recall if it was for the Amiga or the PC (in my head it's PC, as I seem to recall booting into DOS to play the game, but I may be confused on that).

It was an action platformer that took place in a forest of sorts. All I can remember is that the guns you had were customisable, and collecting different bits of gun (may have been powerups) allowed you to shoot extra bullets. I also think there may have been a flamethrower attachment, although again I may be misremembering. Platforming was slightly Metroidy, in terms of reaching new bits of the forest as you progressed.

If memory serves right, the game had a one word name, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. I've searched high and low through pages and repositories of both Amiga 500(+) games and PC games from that era, and can't find anything that fits the description. Nothing at all.

If anyone can work out what this is, please help, as my sanity has been slowly spiralling away since I half-remembered this game about 3 years ago...

Top Bottom