• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Dizzy-4U

There was a football game on the SNES, which had pretty realistic penalties from behind the player. The only thing I remember other than that is the sound of the ball being kicked in open play being weirdly metallic, like a bucket being punted or something.

Any ideas?
Soccer Shootout maybe? It has the wet old bag sound (as we called it) when you kick the ball.

Anyone know of this web game? It was a puzzle game in a grid based map where you have to lead a mouse to a mouse hole. you had with you arrow spaces and a chain of animals starting with cats, that scares the mouse to move in the opposite direction and then the next chain (eg a dog) could scare the lower chain animal and so on until the final animal, a elephant, which can be scared by the mouse.

I think it was one of those early shockwave games or maybe a MSN Gaming Zone game.

Seiniyta

Powerquest?
hqdefault.jpg

YES! Thank you!

There was a Sega Genesis game I had as a kid where you played as an anime school girl to start, but then changed into a warrior woman (bikini armor with cape) and was able to us a sword. It played like a platformer/action game of that time, so it wasn't an RPG.

Was gonna say Kendo Rage but thats on the SNES. Good game too.

Tomtis

I'm looking for a late 90:s freeware game which could be found at sites like gamehippo (didn't they have another name before that?). However, the game i'm searching for is a 2D top down shooter, pretty much like Hotline Miami. Don't remember much more than that local multiplayer was included and you could create your own maps. I think it was somewhat nazi-related since i remember you could use the swastika as a carpet when building levels. So i guess you killed nazis.

Anyone? I have searched for this for a long time, would make my day if someone helped me find it!

Could it be Goal? The sound effects are definitely strange in this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wplhYyRKtrs

There's a sequel as well (also with quite odd sound effects): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdeHWs3wU7g

Soccer Shootout maybe? It has the wet old bag sound (as we called it) when you kick the ball.

Hmmm, they all seem plausible, and maybe I'm misremembering it, but I could've sworn it was more of a metallic sound, like a "thunk".

I recall the penalties looking more realistic than the regular game, with the view from behind the penalty taker

Stevey

There was a game, either PS2 or Xbox, you were on a spaceship or in a lab or something and you just had to destroy everything. You might have been a cat or had a cat sidekick.

There was a game, either PS2 or Xbox, you were on a spaceship or in a lab or something and you just had to destroy everything. You might have been a cat or had a cat sidekick.

Not a cat but possibly Whiplash? https://youtu.be/LUr3gL_5uO8?t=472

It's a weasel and a rabbit, I believe. But definitely fits for a lab setting (and maybe space? Can't recall) and destroying the environment has a dollar amount tied to it so you're encouraged to do so.

tearsofash

It was some sort of freeware Mario Bros multiplayer game for the PC that was like 1-on-3 battles for coins or something. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

It was some sort of freeware Mario Bros multiplayer game for the PC that was like 1-on-3 battles for coins or something. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

Are you using Mario Bros to say it's 2D or they actually just used the assets and it's some Flash game that was around or something? The only multiplayer coin-based game that comes to my mind isn't freeware but it is 2D with Mega Coin Squad - http://store.steampowered.com/app/312510/

Bubbins

I have one. It was a GBA or Gameboy Color game about a monkey. All I remember was there was an ad for it on TV (that ran during pokemon) and the voice over was like "and a monkey on the a quest to find the ultimate power..." it was a 2D sidescroller.

Glowsquid

I remember watching someone play a PC FPS in the late 90's, or early 2000s... I don't rememberm much about it except that the gameplay looked like the first Quake, and one of the loading screen had a FMV sequence showing a futuristic helicopter fire at a futuristic tank in a snowy mountain setting.

I scoured the internet for that game, but alas to no avail. The only games I could find that kinda resemble the one you described are Sewer Sam and Electrician.

Do you have any more details you can share with us?

I found it and edited the first post.. Sorry for not responding. It was Drol. Pro tip don't Google Drol

retroman

I found it and edited the first post.. Sorry for not responding. It was Drol. Pro tip don't Google Drol

No problem, mate! I already saw your edit a while ago.

Coincidentally, I'm from Holland, and the Dutch meaning of that word is exactly the reason why it shouldn't be Googled :)

woopWOOP

I remember some random guy streaming this PS1 or perhaps a Dreamcast game not too long ago (think it was console atleast). It was a 3D, first person horror game where you walked around these corridors while avoiding something else (a monster?). You could check both your and the enemy's location with a map. You could also go in doors and talk to NPCs hiding inside that room and whatnot. The corridors had an old, wood-like look to them too, or atleast in that area.

Didn't know what the game was and now I'm kind of curious what that was about.

Spades

C64 game where you control some superhero trash-man. View I always remember is of him flying, top-down view and you had to fly over and under things. Cannot remember for the life of me what it was called.

dlauv

Ok, I just beat The Darkness 2 again. I'm kind of freaking out because I explicitly remember a sequence in which I battle
Angelus
to save
Jenny's soul
. The fight is kind of like a chase with trash mobs and an impending fog. At the end I
weaken her
, and
Jenny regains enough control to sort of sacrifice herself to close out hell
or something.

I remember it being the super secret ending. But now I think I imagined it or am getting it confused with either the first game or some other game. Does anyone remember a sequence like this from anything?

Greddleok

OG Xbox.

It was a strategy game set in Afghanistan/Iraq/Unnamed middle eastern country.

You controlled a squad of American troops, split into two units, I believe it was Alpha team and Beta team.

The game mainly revolved around getting one team to a corner, suppressing the enemy, while the other team flanked them and shot them.

It had Xbox live play where each player controlled one of the teams.

Anyone know what game this is? I've been thinking about it recently.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
There was a turn based RPG on the nes (might have been the SNES) where you are a ninja I Japan. No idea the name but i rented it as a child and never beat it. Wanted to try though.

Niahak

There was a turn based RPG on the nes (might have been the SNES) where you are a ninja I Japan. No idea the name but i rented it as a child and never beat it. Wanted to try though.

Probably Inindo: Way of the Ninja by Koei on SNES. Neat ideas, but a little tedious to play.

C64 game where you control some superhero trash-man. View I always remember is of him flying, top-down view and you had to fly over and under things. Cannot remember for the life of me what it was called.

Found this by chance, it's called Oink! It's basically a collection of mini-games, and the second one is called "Rubbishman".

OBQ3Yx2.png

The Rizza

Glad to see this thread pop back up. This one's been killing me for awhile now. It was located in a Chuck E. Cheese-like place in my hometown. The big machine had a large, red motorcycle you would get onto. You rode through a tron-like track that was mostly red and black. I can't remember the goal or objective, but mannn did I really love that game as a kid. Anyone have idea what it could've been?

Glad to see this thread pop back up. This one's been killing me for awhile now. It was located in a Chuck E. Cheese-like place in my hometown. The big machine had a large, red motorcycle you would get onto. You rode through a tron-like track that was mostly red and black. I can't remember the goal or objective, but mannn did I really love that game as a kid. Anyone have idea what it could've been?

S.T.U.N. Runner?

Nosgotham

yeah STUN Runner i think.

i have one. it was a game i used to play in jr high computer class on these old crappy macintosh black and white computers. it was a first person perspective, maze type game and there mummies and other enemies i believe. i think it had something to do with finding a scarab or beetle or something like that. used to play the hell outta that

retroman

i have one. it was a game i used to play in jr high computer class on these old crappy macintosh black and white computers. it was a first person perspective, maze type game and there mummies and other enemies i believe. i think it had something to do with finding a scarab or beetle or something like that. used to play the hell outta that

Scarab of Ra?

tumblr_lpf668CDhc1qba7guo1_500.png

angrylamp

Neo Member
Trying to find this:

Lates 80s, early 90s orange handheld in Canada.

Game: You were a witch or something with a cross, that had to stop bats.

The background changed a bit, and it also acted as a clock, and ran off watch batteries.

Dezzy

It's gotta be Inindo. Very hard game.

Sometimes I feel like trying it again but I'm not really sure why. It just intrigues me for some reason.

Trying to find this:

Lates 80s, early 90s orange handheld in Canada.

Game: You were a witch or something with a cross, that had to stop bats.

The background changed a bit, and it also acted as a clock, and ran off watch batteries.

Was it a Tiger Electronics handheld game?

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Probably Inindo: Way of the Ninja by Koei on SNES. Neat ideas, but a little tedious to play.

It's gotta be Inindo. Very hard game.

Sometimes I feel like trying it again but I'm not really sure why. It just intrigues me for some reason.

Thanks guys, I think you are right. I got about 1/2 way through a playthrough when a buddy and me rented it years and years ago. Never finished it. I expect there is no where else to get it now?

So I decided to look for the second game (from the old post below I made several years ago) again, and... I found it, finally!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35049466&postcount=2980

I was thinking about it and thought the name was "moto" something, most likely, but couldn't find anything under that name. But after some searching, I managed to find a game called "Dare Devil", which has a Mobygames page: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/dare-devil And it looks like the game I remember for sure. That's got to be it. So, I was wrong about the name, right?

Well, despite the game being freeware, it took a while to find a copy somewhere online I could download; it's quite obscure, apparently. But I eventually found it, and once I unzipped the download... while the title screen indeed calls the game "Dare Devil", what is the file name? motoman.exe. So yeah, my memory was right, it was just the filename and not the title screen name, which are different for some reason. :)

As for the game, it's a pretty bad and absurdly short little game. It is a single-screen bike-jump game as the screenshots in the Mobygames page show, but at least in the version I found, and seemingly in Mobygames' one too so maybe that's just how the game is, you don't actually need to jump over them! You can just land in the middle of the busses, that's fine. All you need to do is land flat, which is tricky because you don't angle your bike with the arrow keys or something, you only have accelerate and decelerate buttons and that's it. So you need to be at just the right speed, then brake in the air to try to land flat and not at an angle, which will cause you to crash. But do you actually need to jump over all the busses? Nah... so yeah, once I figured out how to land, I beat the game (by jumping over busses 9 times, up to having 9 on screen) in like five minutes, max. So yeah, not great. But I found it again. There are other games in this style which look like better games, such as one called Biker Dave, but this is definitely the one I played in the early '90s. And yes, it's got to be a simplified knockoff of the Spectrum game "Dare Devil Denis" mclem mentioned when I first posted this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35049572&postcount=2981 but I couldn't find this game then, as Mobygames didn't have it listed yet back in 2012... but they do now. :)

As for that pac-man-ish-looking game I also describe in the link at the top of this post, though, I still have no clue what that is.

Top Bottom