• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

mr_chun

I've tried this one before, but never got a convincing answer.

>PC
>Point and Click
>Creepy atmosphere and music
>Opening level prominently features cow skull hanging on (green?) wall
>Was included on a Windows "72 Game Pack" shareware disc sometime around 1996-1998

That's all I got.

>PC
>Point and Click
>Was included on a Windows "72 Game Pack" shareware disc sometime around 1996-1998

That's all I got.

I believe Gahan Wilson's The Ultimate Haunted House had a cow skull in one of the rooms. If you clicked on it, its teeth rattled or something like that.

long2905

Neo Member
Can someone help me with this?

>PS1
>Action shooter
>Opening level start with a train to a container warehouse
>there is a two-headed boss or enemy that can be one or two hit killed with an RPG
>there is a ladder down to the sewer with scary monsters down there (I was 8 at the time)
>I played the game in Russia then, could be a Russian game?

Been looking and asking forver without finding anything :(

The game I'm thinking of was more photo-realistic than cartoony iirc.

VooDoo Kid maybe? Do you remember if the graphics were more like actual photos, or maybe more pre-rendered 3D? Did you see the protagonist or was it in first person (like Myst)? Do you remember something about the interface maybe, how the cursor looked, did it change while floating over a point of interest or something of the sort?

Indeed. I wonder how much stuff from back then has been lost...

That's got to be it, yes! No question, that's the game. How did you find it?

I was going through Win 3.x games on Mobygames, puzzle games and top down at first, then tried action - arcade - top down and as luck would have it, ran into it soon enough.

>PS1
>Action shooter
>there is a two-headed boss or enemy that can be one or two hit killed with an RPG
>there is a ladder down to the sewer with scary monsters down there (I was 8 at the time)

Can you tell us something more about the genre, what kind of action shooter (any similar games?), what was the camera angle like (top-down, isometric, full 3D fixed at the back of the player, side view, dynamic in some way, multi-camera like Resident Evil etc.)? Do you remember something about the player character?

Niahak

Thanks guys, I think you are right. I got about 1/2 way through a playthrough when a buddy and me rented it years and years ago. Never finished it. I expect there is no where else to get it now?

It's not on Virtual Console or anything, and Koei doesn't do remasters (that they release here, anyway). I think you'd have to pick it up on eBay or a local retro game store, although from what I've seen it's fairly rare so eBay would be the best bet. Shouldn't be as expensive as most SNES RPGs or other Koei games (looks like $25 cartridge only).

Gandour

Neo Member
There was a game on genesis that was a mix of mega man and sonic, the charachter had eletrical abilities and could run fast and bounce while charged. Does anybody remember this?

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN

>PS1
>Action shooter

C-12

There was a game on genesis that was a mix of mega man and sonic, the charachter had eletrical abilities and could run fast and bounce while charged. Does anybody remember this?

Bounce when charged makes me think Rocket Knight/Sparkster?

edit: ah looks like pulseman fits better

A old PC games (very ancient old) that you play as a husband and your partner is an old man, you're on the quest to rescue your wife. You control the sword via mouse. I read about the game on an old PC magazine, always want to play it but can't remember the name :\

bjork

A old PC games (very ancient old) that you play as a husband and your partner is an old man, you're on the quest to rescue your wife. You control the sword via mouse. I read about the game on an old PC magazine, always want to play it but can't remember the name :\

Like Apple II ancient?

>PC
>Point and Click

That's all I got.

Was it The 7th Guest or The 11th Hour?

SDCowboy

A need help remembering a really old DOS PC game. It was a cartoony zombie game, in a mansion, and you went up the floors killing zombies. And remember being able to throw a knife at them. Pretty simple game but it's driving me nuts trying to remember the name.

todahawk

Anyone know of a place to look up side scrolling coin-op games from the 90's? Haven't found a good resource. Used to play the crap out of one from around 95 but can't remember the name.

It's not R-type or Side Arms but it's in a ship with Zentraedi type (Robotech/Macross) enemies. Power ups are for ship movement, orbiting pods, etc. and you can boost them to multiple upgrades. About half way through the first level you reach the front of the alien ship and reverse direction and fly back down to the rear of the ship. End of first level is fighting enemies as the ships engines fire up and you have to dodge those blasts as well.

Can't recall if your ship transforms. It might. Been bothering me for a bit and thought I'd ask GAF for help.

Weird, pixellated as heck platformer with some sort of creepy baby as a main character, with the word 'baby' in the title. Played on either Windows XP or even earlier versions, on a pretty ancient desktop in roughly 2006-2007. I have been looking for it for absolute years now and can't find anything.

-PS1 game
-On rails shooter. looks like a lightgun shooter like house of the dead with the blue and red cursor aiming at the screen
-Theme is japanese mythology, I think. Or it could be japanese horror fantasy.
-I remember some kind of fairy
-Not sure if there is an english version cause I played it in japanese only

-PS1 game
-you play as a futuristic cop car or a plane helicopter thing
-vehicle battle
-I remember the color blue and yellow on the vehicles
-Can be coop or competitive 2 player, I think

KillySG10

Neo Member
-PS1 game
-On rails shooter. looks like a lightgun shooter like house of the dead with the blue and red cursor aiming at the screen
-Theme is japanese mythology, I think. Or it could be japanese horror fantasy.
-I remember some kind of fairy
-Not sure if there is an english version cause I played it in japanese only

-PS1 game
-you play as a futuristic cop car or a plane helicopter thing
-vehicle battle
-I remember the color blue and yellow on the vehicles
-Can be coop or competitive 2 player, I think

Only thing i could find that might be the first is Elemental Gearbolt.

On the second, sounds a hell of a lot like Future Cop LAPD.

This is an obscure one that I recall seeing in an arcade a while back(late-80s/early-90s, though the game could be from early-mid 80s). It was a vertical ascending platformer where you fight enemies on long platforms, and the stages' goal is to ascend upwards while clearing enemies. If I can give somewhat of an example(this is the only thing that springs to mind), it's like the first three Underworld stages of Kid Icarus(sorta), particularly this part(with those cloud-type things):
Kid-Icarus-UE-0.png

I think the game is Asian themed(Chinese-lore or something) and recall after seeing kids(who were playing the game) ascend to a point where they fought a boss that had a lot of arms (made me think of imagery like these kind of deities):

This is an obscure one that I recall seeing in an arcade a while back(late-80s/early-90s, though the game could be from early-mid 80s). It was a vertical ascending platformer where you fight enemies on long platforms, and the stages' goal is to ascend upwards while clearing enemies. If I can give somewhat of an example(this is the only thing that springs to mind), it's like the first three Underworld stages of Kid Icarus(sorta), particularly this part(with those cloud-type things):
Kid-Icarus-UE-0.png

I think the game is Asian themed(Chinese-lore or something) and recall after seeing kids(who were playing the game) ascend to a point where they fought a boss that had a lot of arms (made me think of imagery like these kind of deities):

Not sure if it fully fits your description, but Skyblazer had a boss who was like a multi-armed Vishnu character.

A need help remembering a really old DOS PC game. It was a cartoony zombie game, in a mansion, and you went up the floors killing zombies. And remember being able to throw a knife at them. Pretty simple game but it's driving me nuts trying to remember the name.

Sounds like Horror Zombies from the Crypt. If not, maybe Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion.

Anyone know of a place to look up side scrolling coin-op games from the 90's? Haven't found a good resource. Used to play the crap out of one from around 95 but can't remember the name.

It's not R-type or Side Arms but it's in a ship with Zentraedi type (Robotech/Macross) enemies. Power ups are for ship movement, orbiting pods, etc. and you can boost them to multiple upgrades. About half way through the first level you reach the front of the alien ship and reverse direction and fly back down to the rear of the ship. End of first level is fighting enemies as the ships engines fire up and you have to dodge those blasts as well.

Can't recall if your ship transforms. It might. Been bothering me for a bit and thought I'd ask GAF for help.

Sounds pretty familiar but I'm sure there are quite a few horizontal shmups with giant, level-sized bosses like that. Maybe try Raiga - Strato Fighter? Maybe someone more knowledgeable of horizontal shmups will chime in.

As for good sources to look up arcade games in general, Mobygames has a decent list, but I actually mostly use MAME (MAMEUIFX) with all of the screenshots, mameinfo.dat, history.dat and catlist.ini (a category list, sorting the games to groups such as "Shooter / Flying Horizontal" etc.). That way you can quickly go through a genre, run into a few familiar looking screenshots and then look the game up on youtube or something, so you don't even have to have a single ROM, if you're avoiding that sort of stuff.

Kid-Icarus-UE-0.png

Pretty sure this is China Gate (Sai Yu Gou Ma Roku). I believe it's based on "The Journey to the West", one of the playable characters is "Gocoo".

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Descriptions somewhat reminds me of Zombies Ate My Neighbours but I don't think that was ever released on PC...

Ok, got one:

-Arcade shmup I played during the early to mid 90s
-First stage is set in space. Might've flown over a larger ship or space base at one point, but I'm not sure
-I also don't remember if I got to select a stage, or if it just starts you there
-Gameplay was 1942 style (i.e. vertical)
-I don't remember much about the enemies, but some of them looked like Tie Fighters and they'd have shields on the sides to protect themselves. These shields might've changed positions, but I'm not so sure
-The graphics were pretty crude compared to the other games around it. Probably 8-bit.

Super vague, I know, but that's all I remember. I was pretty young at the time and my memories of it are extremely hazy (I only got one quarter to play it), so I'm not really expecting success with it. I still want to give it a shot, though.

long2905

Neo Member
Can you tell us something more about the genre, what kind of action shooter (any similar games?), what was the camera angle like (top-down, isometric, full 3D fixed at the back of the player, side view, dynamic in some way, multi-camera like Resident Evil etc.)? Do you remember something about the player character?
i think it is a shooter, maybe third person while running and not aiming, but first person when aiming and using rocket launcher.

The view is fixed behind the back as far as I can remember, controlling a male character.

The opening scene is the protagonist on a train jumping down into a container field or warehouse with some enemies standing a top the containers shooting down.

Then maybe on the second level there are mutltiple pathways, one of which is a ladder down to a sewer with very scaray looking monsters there so i go back up. Along the way i got a rocket launcher which then allow me to kill a two-headed boss with one or two hit(i thought he was a boss because he had his own health bar in the bottom of the screen).

That's all i can remember.

C-12 from some other guy's suggestion looks close at first but nope, not that.

A game I remember I loved to play some 15-20 years ago with my NES, but I cant remember the name and tried to search for it without results. Believe I rented the game several times.

NES
A top-down shooter, located in space.
You was walking around and could shoot objects, behind the objects you could find different weapons and power ups I believe

If I remember right, the game starts at a space ship. You walk up, to get into the "next screen". The first stage you have to work yourself in the right direction .

I only managed to get to stage 2 or something. Believe it was quite a colorful game (and challenging for me at that age..)

Please anyone know? :)

Phediuk

A game I remember I loved to play some 15-20 years ago with my NES, but I cant remember the name and tried to search for it without results. Believe I rented the game several times.

NES
A top-down shooter, located in space.
You was walking around and could shoot objects, behind the objects you could find different weapons and power ups I believe

If I remember right, the game starts at a space ship. You walk up, to get into the "next screen". The first stage you have to work yourself in the right direction .

I only managed to get to stage 2 or something. Believe it was quite a colorful game (and challenging for me at that age..)

Please anyone know? :)

Sounds like Dash Galaxy.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/dash-galaxy-in-the-alien-asylum

Guardian Legend is another possibility: http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/587320-the-guardian-legend/images

Or Isolated Warrior: http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/587361-isolated-warrior/data

ethanny2

A point and click adventure game PC where you play as a kid who woke up as a monster. In the morning your parents knock on the door when you wake up, if you open it your dad kills you wotha shotgun and thr game ends

Tizoc

I used to have this one SEGA Genesis game, what I can remember from it is that you would start in an area in the sky and there were panels that would break off and if you fell down you lost a life. Anyone know what games this is?

I used to have this one SEGA Genesis game, what I can remember from it is that you would start in an area in the sky and there were panels that would break off and if you fell down you lost a life. Anyone know what games this is?

It was a sidescroller? Top down?

Thank you for the reply, although it was none of them
To my surprise, my brother actually still had the copy (including the box i mint condition whoo)

The game was
Robo Warrior

I have never played a bomberman game before, otherwise I could have refered the game as a clone to bomberman I guess.

Review of the game - Just as challenging as I remembered
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYCK3CH17xE

Long shot, as I don't have any concrete details as I never actually played the game, just saw the trailer It was a PS1 era game, I'm pretty sure it was featured on one of those old demo disks that had a few playable demos + trailers, but the trailer featured...
+ Almost exclusively took place in dark tunnels (sewers?)
+ Robots/mechs of some kind?
+ Dark oppressive atmosphere that only mid 90's early CG could produce.
+ PSX game, saw the trailer on demo disk.

Remembering what the hell that game even was has been an itch that's plagued me for years, so any hints would be greatly appreciated.

retroman

Long shot, as I don't have any concrete details as I never actually played the game, just saw the trailer It was a PS1 era game, I'm pretty sure it was featured on one of those old demo disks that had a few playable demos + trailers, but the trailer featured...
+ Almost exclusively took place in dark tunnels (sewers?)
+ Robots/mechs of some kind?
+ Dark oppressive atmosphere that only mid 90's early CG could produce.
+ PSX game, saw the trailer on demo disk.

Remembering what the hell that game even was has been an itch that's plagued me for years, so any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Tunnel B1, perhaps?

It might also be Defcon 5.

Top Bottom