• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

StuBurns

Banned
Guys, could you help me out with a game my wife wants to find. She said that she would play it online in the early 2000s, so I'm thinking like Newgrounds or something like that. The way she described it was the hacking mini game from Bioshock 1, but with soda. Apparently you would match the different straws to bring the soda to a thirsty frog. Does this ring a bell to anyone, or can you give me a viable alternative?
Those games are called PipeMania (sometimes Pipe Dream), not sure about a frog one though.

kai3345

Banned
Ok, it was a driving game, I remember it being kind of similar to Grand Theft Auto.

It was on PS2, I remember the pedestrians we're flat. And I also remember you being able to adjust traffic and pedestrian levels as well as the weather.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, there was a game on the nes that I have a vague memory of and its been bugging me for about a year.

You play as a ninja or samurai and you went from town to town defeating the evil lords. you had a pal that looked kinda like Mario who you'd find trapped in a cage from time to time. He'd give you tips when released. I remember one boss was a little green flea like guy who would bounce all over the screen. getting touched by him would hurt you and he grew larger as he took damage... I know it's not much to go on, but this has been bugging to hell out of me.

Grath

This one is gonna be hard.

I played a SNES game, it was a turn based RPG.

All I remember, is that at the start of the game, you're in a forest, you have a party of 4-5 people, and the first enemy was a pack of wolves.

Any idea?

Eye of the Beholder?

mclem

Any help would be greatly appreciated, there was a game on the nes that I have a vague memory of and its been bugging me for about a year.

You play as a ninja or samurai and you went from town to town defeating the evil lords. you had a pal that looked kinda like Mario who you'd find trapped in a cage from time to time. He'd give you tips when released. I remember one boss was a little green flea like guy who would bounce all over the screen. getting touched by him would hurt you and he grew larger as he took damage... I know it's not much to go on, but this has been bugging to hell out of me.

This sounds like it might be one of the Legend of the Mystical Ninja (Goemon) games, but the first one in the west wasn't - to the best of my knowledge - until the SNES iterations. Might you be misremembering the platform?

Edit: Except Ebisimaru - who's the guy I imagined 'looked kinda like Mario' - is player 2, not trapped in a cage in the first SNES game. Hmm.

Maluf360

I was a small kid, I've just played it once on SNES

It's a contra-like game, and I just remember of climbing a waterfall and there was a helicopter at the top

wrowa

Okay, I've just seen this thread and, hey, I'll try my luck. It's something that's been on my mind for a few years already, but I've never got around asking this since... well, my memory is pretty vague.

Back when I was 5 or 6 years old, I got my uncle's old C64 and I used to play a load of games on it. Suffice to say, all he owned was a gazillion pirated floppy discs -- already back then I didn't quite understand why these games came without a nice label and how you were able to buy so many different games on a single disc? I assumed that back when the computer was new you were able to load games on your own discs in stores or something. :lol

Well, anyway. I remember a game I used to play, but the details are very scarce. I only remember that it took place in a middle-age themed setting and that the first level saw you walking on the walls of some castle (it was a plattformer). I think at the end of the level you actually entered it... I have some pictures of the game in my mind, but nothing I am able to put into words. So, that's pretty much all I know.

Except one thing! This is the important bit, I guess. I remember that a year or two later, I discovered that a friend of mine owned the same game. But not for the C64, but for his GameBoy! As far as I remember, it was more or less the same game except a little easier...

eso76

I hope somebody actually remembers this game:

It was an arcade shoot-them-up, from the 90's, where you controlled a beaver (or some sort of rodent) dressed as an old-time pilot (big goggles, scarf), which flied on a airplane where its legs (the rodent's legs) where hanging. And the other thing I remember is that the bullets where diamond shaped.

Does someone remembers that game?

i do.
i can't remember the name though : |
i'm pretty sure it's mame'd though, so i'll browse snapshots and may find it when i get home

eso76

I only remember that it took place in a middle-age themed setting and that the first level saw you walking on the walls of some castle (it was a plattformer). I think at the end of the level you actually entered it... I have some pictures of the game in my mind, but nothing I am able to put into words. So, that's pretty much all I know.

Must be Hunchback

hunchback_01.gif

it was rather popular back then

This sounds like it might be one of the Legend of the Mystical Ninja (Goemon) games, but the first one in the west wasn't - to the best of my knowledge - until the SNES iterations. Might you be misremembering the platform?

Edit: Except Ebisimaru - who's the guy I imagined 'looked kinda like Mario' - is player 2, not trapped in a cage in the first SNES game. Hmm.

No, i'm a fan of the Ganbare Goemon games... The game I'm remembering was also a
2D side-scroller, Mystical ninja had an isometric view. Thanks for the suggestion though.

peronmls

There's this GBA or GBC game that was like pokemon. You can keep monster, encounter others and fight them...

... I think I also remember that at the beginning of the game you can have someone baby sit your monsters. ...I also think there was a ship...I THINK

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Something that just came to mind today... an early XBLA or XBL Indie game where you played as a robot, going around fighting other robots and collecting upgrades. It was a 3D action/adventure game in the third person and I do believe it was made with Unreal. I remember people making a big deal of it at the time since it was one of the first fairly graphically intensive 3D game on XBLA, when what was originally there were ports of old arcade games or stuff like Geometry Wars.

Baroni9

Something that just came to mind today... an early XBLA or XBL Indie game where you played as a robot, going around fighting other robots and collecting upgrades. It was a 3D action/adventure game in the third person and I do believe it was made with Unreal. I remember people making a big deal of it at the time since it was one of the first fairly graphically intensive 3D game on XBLA, when what was originally there were ports of old arcade games or stuff like Geometry Wars.

RoboBlitz?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RoboBlitz

Li Kao

Hello Gaf,
Some time ago I posted here asking for the name of a really obscure genesis game, and the answer was just some pages ago, yeah me and my karma. But tonight as some time has passed I thing I can ask for the second item on my 'wtf is this game called' list.
So it was on an arcade machine.
Same camera angle as bad dudes vs dragon ninja.
Maybe bigger sprites like sly spy.
And I remember a sort of lethal weapon vibe, as in the characters looked like detectives, cops, wathever.
Annnnd, my biggest lead, the second level consisted of killing bad guys while jumping from driving trucks to other driving trucks.

mrplaid

Hello Gaf,
Some time ago I posted here asking for the name of a really obscure genesis game, and the answer was just some pages ago, yeah me and my karma. But tonight as some time has passed I thing I can ask for the second item on my 'wtf is this game called' list.
And I remember a sort of lethal weapon vibe, as in the characters looked like detectives, cops, wathever.
Annnnd, my biggest lead, the second level consisted of killing bad guys while jumping from driving trucks to other driving trucks.

Crime City perhaps? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOPn0owNpxc)

Hello Gaf,

Rolling Thunder?

Edit: Just saw MrPlaid's response. He nailed it. I've never played Crime City but it looks like something I'd have lost my mind for as a kid.

There's this GBA or GBC game that was like pokemon. You can keep monster, encounter others and fight them...

... I think I also remember that at the beginning of the game you can have someone baby sit your monsters. ...I also think there was a ship...I THINK

For GBC, Dragon Warrior Monsters (1 or 2) maybe? Or isn't Robopon sort of like that too?

I was a small kid, I've just played it once on SNES

It's a contra-like game, and I just remember of climbing a waterfall and there was a helicopter at the top
Hmm... slight chance it could be Gunforce?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Seeing this thread made me remember something and I need to ask about it! It's not exactly a game, though it was kind of like a very early form of Second Life. It played it probably sometime between 96' and 98'. You could pick an avatar (very few selections, but one was a dinosaur) and then walk around this 2D world talking with people. You could build your own house and the decorate area around it (As well as set midi music to play in your plot of land. Pretty sure I choose FFVI music. :O)

The memory is so vague it feels more like a dream, but it nags at me every so often. No one else seems to know of it. I just want to put a name to it. D:

Li Kao

Spot on, thank you mrplaid ! I didn't remember the strange 'elevators' between some cars but that must be it, no doubt.

Ok so I remembered Kuri Kinton (arcade) and Granada (Genesis) by myself, and Gaf helped for the two hard ones, Star Cruiser (Genesis) and Crime City (arcade). Thanks again, I'm impressed by this quick reply.
Well now I'm down to two obscure games, but I fear the level of details I could provide condemn them to forgotten status.

Lost arcade game #1 - (edit - found it I think, Googled 'arcade tube shooter' - Tube Panic)
- Same time period as Crime City.
- Space shooter.
- Some levels were the movements were on a 'plane' (I think) and some levels in a circle/tube (I'm sure).
- Don't thing it was wireframe but it was very limited graphically.
- Actually this spatial representation disturbed me at the time, maybe it was my first contact with pseudo-3d, maybe it was the emptiness of the thing, but, yeah, disturbed.
- Confidence in Gaf : hmm now that I thing of it, 100%

Lost arcade game #2 -
- Same time period
- Same camera angle as Crime City, Bad dudes etc...
- Tiny/cute character
- Plate-former
- Maybe fruits as bonus, not sure, but the thing was cute, maybe flying ennemies, the thing was hard
- First level had a sort of fantastical asian fortress setting. Like you wandered in a level with paper/wood as walls
- Confidence in Gaf : 10% how could you find a game with so bad an explanation ? I'm preparing myself to forget it entirely, too vague a memory.

Syril

There's this really weird PC game I'm trying to figure out. It involved choosing body parts to create a creature to reincarnate as and had kind of a grotesque art style. I think it had a first person view with static perspectives similar to Myst. If you picked the wrong kind of creature to reincarnate as, a weird face would fly at you and kill you instantly shortly after you reincarnated. I think it was a Japanese game, too.

atomico

Lost arcade game #2 -
- Same time period
- Same camera angle as Crime City, Bad dudes etc...
- Tiny/cute character
- Plate-former
- Maybe fruits as bonus, not sure, but the thing was cute, maybe flying ennemies, the thing was hard
- First level had a sort of fantastical asian fortress setting. Like you wandered in a level with paper/wood as walls
- Confidence in Gaf : 10% how could you find a game with so bad an explanation ? I'm preparing myself to forget it entirely, too vague a memory.

Mr Goemon (or Mr. Kabuki)??

Valkyr47

Banned
there was this educational game on the Mac. My cousin had it

was similar to Myst. static screens you could move between. Had various puzzles to solve, like feeding a lizard in a tank the right amount of food to get a key or something

it might have been called Spelunker or Spelunk! because it took place in a cave or something, but google doesnt find anything

mclem

there was this educational game on the Mac. My cousin had it

was similar to Myst. static screens you could move between. Had various puzzles to solve, like feeding a lizard in a tank the right amount of food to get a key or something

it might have been called Spelunker or Spelunk! because it took place in a cave or something, but google doesnt find anything

Well, I'd have to start by suggesting Manhole or Cosmic Osmo, two earlier games from Cyan.

I was just reminded of a game I first played on a mame emulator over a decade ago. It was some kind of medieval side-scroller game where a key feature was upgrading equipment. I remember going through several armors and that there was this spikeball attack that had a very distinct 3-4-frame animation possibly with variable range. Maybe even a dragon boss/enemy? And perhaps picking up a meat item restored HP, but I can't remember.
What was the name of this game?

Narag

I was just reminded of a game I first played on a mame emulator over a decade ago. It was some kind of medieval side-scroller game where a key feature was upgrading equipment. I remember going through several armors and that there was this spikeball attack that had a very distinct 3-4-frame animation possibly with variable range. Maybe even a dragon boss/enemy? And perhaps picking up a meat item restored HP, but I can't remember.
What was the name of this game?

Black Tiger?

YES! That's the one. Thanks! Wow, it seems so familiar now. Back then I didn't know it was a Capcom game otherwise I would have noticed the obvious swirly object and Zennys. Remembering back to the mame days, there was also this slow-paced island game I also sort of remember. Main character was kind of large for the map and I think it had something to do with monkeys? It was also in isometric perspective. Those 2 games are probably the most memorable games I played considering I can still remember some of it. Such a wonderful feeling of nostalgia.

eso76

YES! That's the one. Thanks! Wow, it seems so familiar now. Back then I didn't know it was a Capcom game otherwise I would have noticed the obvious swirly object and Zennys. Remembering back to the mame days, there was also this slow-paced island game I also sort of remember. Main character was kind of large for the map and I think it had something to do with monkeys? It was also in isometric perspective. Those 2 games are probably the most memorable games I played considering I can still remember some of it. Such a wonderful feeling of nostalgia.

isometric monkeys...
has to be Sega's Congo Bongo

congo_bongo.png

This one is gonna be hard.

I played a SNES game, it was a turn based RPG.

All I remember, is that at the start of the game, you're in a forest, you have a party of 4-5 people, and the first enemy was a pack of wolves.

Any idea?

J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings: Volume 1?
gfs_47112_2_1.jpg

xk0sm0sx

In the Windows 95 days, I played this game:

You control a futuristic plane.
From a top down isometric view, with fairly decent 3D graphics
Camera is fixed with you at the centre.

The first stage is a forest, not very dense.
You mainly destroy other planes, and turrets shooting at you.

Distinguishing feature is the destroyed enemy ships will drop weapons where you can pick up.
I also distinctly remember one enemy plane with claws that would charge at you.

Second game, this one in the Windows 98 days:

It has an RTS interface, but it's an action game.

Distinguishing feature is the characters are all toys. I used to think the game was related to Toy Story, but realised no RTS Toy Story exists.
It's not Army Men (Nor Toy Soldiers). The characters are much more bigger and distinguishable.

It is level based.
At the start of each level, you pick a number of characters. There are 6 types. I think you can have less than 10 units in total?
As you go through the stage and defeat enemies, you get points to rehire more units.
The stages all takes place in a house environment.

You pick characters from a Toy Chest.
The character designs are all cute, toy story-like. They are not army men figures.
I remember a rocket launcher guy, a brute force melee guy.
Stage traps including spiked floors, flame throwers... It's an action game where you also have to move your units to avoid those traps.

Upate: After a long time, I found a post that gave me the answer. It's Toy Soldier Squad Commander :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8xzoXqOyUI

On a side note, anyone else played WarWind?
warwind2.jpg

In the Windows 95 days, I played this game:

You control a futuristic plane.
From a top down isometric view, with fairly decent 3D graphics
Camera is fixed with you at the centre.

The first stage is a forest, not very dense.
You mainly destroy other planes, and turrets shooting at you.

Distinguishing feature is the destroyed enemy ships will drop weapons where you can pick up.
I also distinctly remember one enemy plane with claws that would charge at you.
Hmm... could potentially be SWIV 3D? There are other options for sure though, of course.

I played this game at a friend's house once.

Early-mid 90s, PC, something like an adventure game starring Robin Hood or a similar protagonist in that type of setting. I'm not sure that it was a side-scroller per se but I remember viewing the character and scene mostly from the side.

Any ideas?

YES YES YES!
omg thanks so much, the name is really too generic!

Man the graphics looks worse than how I remembered it... In my mind it was decent 3D graphics
Yeah, Fire Fight's a 2d game really, so I didn't think of that one... but that was an okay game. I never managed to get it running in Vista, though, because it seems to require a full-screen resolution below 640x480 and it's a Windows game, not DOS... has there ever been a fix for that?

I played this game at a friend's house once.

Early-mid 90s, PC, something like an adventure game starring Robin Hood or a similar protagonist in that type of setting. I'm not sure that it was a side-scroller per se but I remember viewing the character and scene mostly from the side.

Any ideas?

King's Quest?
Kings_Quest_Tandy.png

ok, so I don't remember much more of the game than it's premise, but as far as I remember seeing in a review of it (90's PC RTS game), the idea was that a probe had been sent to Jupiter and accidently brought a virus or something to the local juvian / jovian (not sure what they were called exactly) and that forced them to attack humanity.

I *think* there may have been an 'xcom' type campaign in it where you need to support regions to avoid them falling to the juvian invaders.

that's about all I remember though. Any help would be appreciated.

mrplaid

ok, so I don't remember much more of the game than it's premise, but as far as I remember seeing in a review of it (90's PC RTS game), the idea was that a probe had been sent to Jupiter and accidently brought a virus or something to the local juvian / jovian (not sure what they were called exactly) and that forced them to attack humanity.

I *think* there may have been an 'xcom' type campaign in it where you need to support regions to avoid them falling to the juvian invaders.

that's about all I remember though. Any help would be appreciated.

I believe that's Conquest Earth (http://youtu.be/tV35SWHVwoE).

I remember being stoked for this game years ago, but it was incredibly disappointing.

Online PC game from at least 4 years, TPS with guns and sword in your back for close quarters. Base had two waypoints... It was futuristic design. Basic multiplayer arena. Sorry I can't remember much. Probably Korean stuff. Free to play or something

It's not Gunz.

Edit : S4 League. Got it.

GrayFoxPL

I wonder...

Many many years ago I saw an arcade with broken controls.

It looked like Shadow Dancer, White ninja and a dog/wolf. The problem is the sprites seemed really big and it might be a beat'em up?

My memory could be playing tricks on my and it was probably SD, but do anyone know if maybe a Shadow Dancer clone with beat'em up gameplay ever existed?

Narag

I wonder...

Many many years ago I saw an arcade with broken controls.

It looked like Shadow Dancer, White ninja and a dog/wolf. The problem is the sprites seemed really big and it might be a beat'em up?

My memory could be playing tricks on my and it was probably SD, but do anyone know if maybe a Shadow Dancer clone with beat'em up gameplay ever existed?

Probably the arcade version of SHadow Dancer itself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eXgWV5x5kQ0#t=7s

Top Bottom