• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Syril

I wonder...

Many many years ago I saw an arcade with broken controls.

It looked like Shadow Dancer, White ninja and a dog/wolf. The problem is the sprites seemed really big and it might be a beat'em up?

My memory could be playing tricks on my and it was probably SD, but do anyone know if maybe a Shadow Dancer clone with beat'em up gameplay ever existed?

Maybe it was Sengoku?

Tetraeon

There was a game with this ninja dude who went to a bunch of planets and you could run on walls and stuff, cartoony style. I thought it was pretty fun for a PS2 demo.

eso76

Nah, I finished Sengoku, awesome game.

Thing I think about probably doesn't exist. :

There was a character in samurai shodown who had a dog, other than that idk
He's generally wearing a blue outfit, but I think you could pick him in white, and that would make him look similar to SD guy

I remember this one game, I think it might have been exclusive to those arcade cabinets that had like 20-something classic arcade games to select from. It was like Gun.Smoke/Ninja Commando/Ikari Warriors, ya know a top-down vertical shooter where you ran along the ground, only this was a sci-fi one.

It was a PC game around the 2000's, might have come bundled with Windows, but not sure... You flew around in a space ship shooting blocky robots and other ships and stuff... quite an open world, you had a normal gun and a limited number of rockets... difficult to explain, but you could fly around and shoot stuff... there might have been buildings you could destroy too.
Kinda like BLAM Machinehead, but you weren't fixed on the ground, it was free flying. Crappy-ish 3D graphics... spacey kinda style...

Any ideas?

pants

Übermatik;45460105 said:
It was a PC game around the 2000's, might have come bundled with Windows, but not sure... You flew around in a space ship shooting blocky robots and other ships and stuff... quite an open world, you had a normal gun and a limited number of rockets... difficult to explain, but you could fly around and shoot stuff... there might have been buildings you could destroy too.
Kinda like BLAM Machinehead, but you weren't fixed on the ground, it was free flying. Crappy-ish 3D graphics... spacey kinda style...

Any ideas?

Descent?

Portugeezer

Can't remember name of an old PC game, probably from the early 90's (I had a Windows 95), don't know if it ever was popular but it was on some demo CD I had.

circuitry.jpg

It was a 2D platformer, dude wore some sort of space suit and helmet I believe (NOT the game you are thinking of right now!), it was like the world was circuitry, floaty physics, some enemies shot things at you.

Probably not a good game, but a lot of nostalgia for me.

Foshy

Can't remember name of an old PC game, probably from the early 90's (I had a Windows 95), don't know if it ever was popular but it was on some demo CD I had.

circuitry.jpg

It was a 2D platformer, dude wore some sort of space suit and helmet I believe (NOT the game you are thinking of right now!), it was like the world was circuitry, floaty physics, some enemies shot things at you.

Probably not a good game, but a lot of nostalgia for me.
Sounds like Commander Keen. Not sure about the circuitry though.

Portugeezer

Sounds like Commander Keen. Not sure about the circuitry though.

It's not Commander Keen.

"dude wore some sort of space suit and helmet I believe (NOT the game you are thinking of right now!)"

I knew someone would mention it (couldn't remember the name Commander Keen though)

Übermatik;45460105 said:

Any ideas?

Tunnel B1?

Woorloog

Banned

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/NikonF5/reliability/circuitry.jpg[IMG]

It was a 2D platformer, dude wore some sort of space suit and helmet I believe (NOT the game you are thinking of right now!), it was [I]like [/I]the [B]world was circuitry[/B], floaty physics, some enemies shot things at you.

Probably not a good game, but a lot of nostalgia for me.[/QUOTE]

Micro man or some such? I think i know what you mean.

[IMG]http://img.brothersoft.com/screenshots/softimage/m/microman-adventure_1-16163-1228801852.jpeg

Mikeside

This is pretty vague, but I was thinking about this game today and I have no idea what it was called and only the vaguest recollection of it - but I remember having a blast with the demo when I was a kid.

It was a sci-fi RTS, you could recruit civilians who were just milling around the map & I think the units were customisable?

I think it would've been late 90s

Übermatik;45460105 said:

Any ideas?

Terminal Velocity? Or, its Windows exclusive sibling Fury3?

mclem

It was a sci-fi RTS, you could recruit civilians who were just milling around the map & I think the units were customisable?

I think it would've been late 90s

The bolded makes me think Syndicate (although late 90's makes that Syndicate Wars instead), but I'd imagine that's not obscure enough to be yours.

antitrop

Übermatik;45460105 said:

Any ideas?
Perhaps Incoming?

xKBiM.jpg

I had this game in the early 2000s and I believe that it came bundled with my Voodoo 2 card.

Here's gameplay footage of the Dreamcast version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izu9KeR-llQ

CzarTim

I believe there was a F2P MMO (or at least one with a free trial) it was military themed. All I remember about it was the combat was terrible, and I was farming enemies for some kind of gold/platinum bar which was valuable. I think the weapons were rifles like the M14. Early 00s, if that helps.

Luigison

I'm looking for a browser game that starts out in monochrome goes to 8-bit, 16-bit, etc. or something like that. It's a sort of meta game in a Zelda like style that progresses through gaming generations adding colors, resolution, movement, etc. My daughter saw me playing it about a month ago and wants to play it now.

vladdamad

ok, this one's been bugging me for years. the game was a point'n'click adventure, possibly came on a demo cd of macworld (i think there was a demo of an educational game with a mouse called mia on there as well),late 90'/early 00's. I was pretty sure it was called 'Twister', but apparently not, because the name doesn't produce any results through google searches.

the game starts with a tornado coming into a small town. regular point'n'click gameplay, basic puzzles; after a short introduction, you figure out that you have to hide in the basement and switch off the light, which results in you ending up in a weird, magical land - if I recall correctly, it's pretty much Oz, complete with yellow brick road. Now, I was about 6 at the time, so I wasn't able to progress past that part, but I vaguely recall there being poisonous mushrooms as objects you could carry, and the 'Drink Me' bottle from alice in wonderland. I think there was also a sub-plot about a mummy.

I've been trying to find this game for about 10 years now, if anyone here is able to figure out what it is, you will be my hero

Red UFO

It was a PS1 game, a side scrolling shooter, where you could play as either a character with blue hair, or one with pink hair (or both in multiplayer). That's all I can remember, can anybody help? :(

It was a PS1 game, a side scrolling shooter, where you could play as either a character with blue hair, or one with pink hair (or both in multiplayer). That's all I can remember, can anybody help? :(

The only thing I could find close to that, but not exact, is Rapid Reload / Gunner's Heaven. It's single-player only but you can pick a blue-haired guy or a brown-haired girl. So check out just to make sure your memories aren't fuzzy. Odds are I'm simply wrong but I couldn't find anything else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a04lX_nRZHQ

Is it a shooter like Gunstar Heroes or like Gradius? What style are we talking about here?

ckohler

ok, this one's been bugging me for years. the game was a point'n'click adventure, possibly came on a demo cd of macworld (i think there was a demo of an educational game with a mouse called mia on there as well),late 90'/early 00's. I was pretty sure it was called 'Twister', but apparently not, because the name doesn't produce any results through google searches.

the game starts with a tornado coming into a small town. regular point'n'click gameplay, basic puzzles; after a short introduction, you figure out that you have to hide in the basement and switch off the light, which results in you ending up in a weird, magical land - if I recall correctly, it's pretty much Oz, complete with yellow brick road. Now, I was about 6 at the time, so I wasn't able to progress past that part, but I vaguely recall there being poisonous mushrooms as objects you could carry, and the 'Drink Me' bottle from alice in wonderland. I think there was also a sub-plot about a mummy.

I've been trying to find this game for about 10 years now, if anyone here is able to figure out what it is, you will be my hero

I looked at a big list of point'n'click adventure games and all I saw that was close was Emerald City Confidential.

Red UFO

The only thing I could find close to that, but not exact, is Rapid Reload / Gunner's Heaven. It's single-player only but you can pick a blue-haired guy or a brown-haired girl. So check out just to make sure your memories aren't fuzzy. Odds are I'm simply wrong but I couldn't find anything else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a04lX_nRZHQ

Is it a shooter like Gunstar Heroes or like Gradius? What style are we talking about here?

Yeah it's Rapid Reload! Thank you so much! :D

xk0sm0sx

An RTS I remembered half of the name:

Played in Windows 95-98
Setting is traditional, sort of like Warcraft 2.
Graphics around Red Alert 1's standard, 2D.

Remembered a chinese woman unit that sets things on fire.
And very nice fire effects on buildings.
Distinctly remembered the name goes "Legend of" -

I kept thinking the name was Legend of Red Dragon, but that led me to a MUD
any ideas?

Dawg

I remember an old ps1 (or ps2..not sure) demo I played. Pretty sure it was a horror game and I was walking outside (misty area) and there were like undead dogs (wolves?) crawling out of their pens and attacking me.

That's the only part I remember, don't remember any of the other enemies/

Noi

May as well.

I'm trying to remember a PC game from way back. It was a 3D space shooter with full-on FMV backgrounds, transition cutscenes and enemies that flew towards the screen from the background. The first stage was on a red, rocky planet that ended with a boss fight against a robot-base thing which required you to shoot down multiple turrets in addition to the boss itself. There was a water planet too, but I can't remember what happened in it.

I played it about the same as I played The Journeyman Project on Windows, if it helps. So circa 1994.

Top Bottom