• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Reposting this because its still bothering me. It was definitely on the NES it was not a Goemon game.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, there was a game on the nes that I have a vague memory of and its been bugging me for about a year.

You play as a ninja or samurai and you went from town to town defeating the evil lords. you had a pal that looked kinda like Mario who you'd find trapped in a cage from time to time. He'd give you tips when released. I remember one boss was a little green flea like guy who would bounce all over the screen. getting touched by him would hurt you and he grew larger as he took damage... I know it's not much to go on, but this has been bugging to hell out of me.

EDIT:
OK I figured this one out. And I was really foggy on a lot of the specifics.

It was Clash at Demonhead You were a futuristic commando... but as a kid i just thought he was a ninja and the bullets were throwing stars... The guy that you run into that looks like Mario is Michael. He kinda resembles Mario...

http://youtu.be/RvYPsa1Pbrs?t=1m59s

http://youtu.be/-hxTMlhCC4g?t=2m56s

okay i need help here, anyone remember a NDS RPG (pretty sure it was a JRPG) with time traveling, some of the characters counterparts (from other time) come from these portals to warn about things during the story, though i dont remeber the "main party" traveling (maybe they travel later in the game), 3d battles with party system and that's pretty much all i remember.

it wasn't randiant historia or chrono trigger, help me guys.

What was the setting? Fantasy? Sci-fi?

Reposting this because its still bothering me. It was definitely on the NES it was not a Goemon game.

EDIT:
OK I figured this one out. And I was really foggy on a lot of the specifics.

It was Clash at Demonhead You were a futuristic commando... but as a kid i just thought he was a ninja and the bullets were throwing stars... The guy that you run into that looks like Mario is Michael. He kinda resembles Mario...

http://youtu.be/RvYPsa1Pbrs?t=1m59s

http://youtu.be/-hxTMlhCC4g?t=2m56s

damnit, it seems so obvious now.....

okay gaf, i'm testing your skills:

i'm searching a learning game possibly for DOS or windows 95. you played a alien (i think) and there were different tasks you had to do. one thing was flying with a jetpack and do math. you were flying upwards and you can only pass through the gates with the right solution to an equation. or something like that.

in a second part of the game you were sorting trash, possibly with math questions too. might be a german game not sure about that.

Math Blaster?

okay i need help here, anyone remember a NDS RPG (pretty sure it was a JRPG) with time traveling, some of the characters counterparts (from other time) come from these portals to warn about things during the story, though i dont remeber the "main party" traveling (maybe they travel later in the game), 3d battles with party system and that's pretty much all i remember.

I searched for about an hour yesterday, I have no idea...

ameratsu

Alright there's this one game..

RTS where you built stuff on sky islands along with tons of bridges that allowed you to expand and build defense and offensive structures to defeat opponents. I think you had to harvest stuff from geysers to accumulate resources but my recollection is kinda fuzzy. There were different elemental types for the structures you built (wind/sun for example). It was online enabled and had a leveling system where you could unlock higher tier structures.

Alright there's this one game..

RTS where you built stuff on sky islands along with tons of bridges that allowed you to expand and build defense and offensive structures to defeat opponents. I think you had to harvest stuff from geysers to accumulate resources but my recollection is kinda fuzzy. There were different elemental types for the structures you built (wind/sun for example). It was online enabled and had a leveling system where you could unlock higher tier structures.

Netstorm, still one of the best RTSes ever!

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
OK, this is very vague, and the game was never actually released. But I remember a while back in the 16 bit era, there was a game preview in EGM for a Genesis\Mega Drive game. The title was something like Star Voyage, but I don't think that's exactly right. The picture was of a first person space game from the cockpit with a 3d pseudo-polygonal planet surface. It's times like this I wish I didn't toss my old EGM collection.

DTJAAAAM

OK, this is very vague, and the game was never actually released. But I remember a while back in the 16 bit era, there was a game preview in EGM for a GenesisMega Drive game. The title was something like Star Voyage, but I don't think that's exactly right. The picture was of a first person space game from the cockpit with a 3d pseudo-polygonal planet surface. It's times like this I wish I didn't toss my old EGM collection.
Star Control?

DeadTrees

OK, this is very vague, and the game was never actually released. But I remember a while back in the 16 bit era, there was a game preview in EGM for a Genesis\Mega Drive game. The title was something like Star Voyage, but I don't think that's exactly right. The picture was of a first person space game from the cockpit with a 3d pseudo-polygonal planet surface. It's times like this I wish I didn't toss my old EGM collection.

Could be Shadow Squadron or Warpspeed.

bakedpony

Suikoden Tierkreis?

ultron87

The other question about sky islands made me think of another game:

The gameplay was driving around in a customized driveable sky island fortress thing and would battle other islands. You could build your island up how you wanted and could even just put huge spikes on the sides to ram into other islands. I think you could set up cannons and maybe tesla towers too?

It was a PC game and I only remember ever playing the demo. I'm thinking late 90s or early 2000s based on the graphics I can see in my head.

I had another shareware title of old pop into my head. It was basically a depraved version of crazy taxi. It was 3D but like, Doom 3D. I think it was a bit cyberpunky and probably the vehicles had guns. And I guess I ran it on a 486. That's all I remember...

The other question about sky islands made me think of another game:

The gameplay was driving around in a customized driveable sky island fortress thing and would battle other islands. You could build your island up how you wanted and could even just put huge spikes on the sides to ram into other islands. I think you could set up cannons and maybe tesla towers too?

It was a PC game and I only remember ever playing the demo. I'm thinking late 90s or early 2000s based on the graphics I can see in my head.

Stratosphere. I only played the demo too... and I know I wondered whether they'd gotten the idea from NS. I know they're different genres, but NS is so much better...

(The OTHER other PC floating-islands game from the late '90s/early '00s, by the way, is Project Nomads. It's a FPS/strategy game; you play as a person in a world of floating islands. It's okay and somewhat interesting.)

I had another shareware title of old pop into my head. It was basically a depraved version of crazy taxi. It was 3D but like, Doom 3D. I think it was a bit cyberpunky and probably the vehicles had guns. And I guess I ran it on a 486. That's all I remember...
Quarantine.

Servbot24

Banned
A very old side-scrolling game on the PC where you played as a mushroom. That's all I remember of it, used to watch my friend play it. :p

Oh, and one on Game Boy where you played as a Cheerio or something? :S

mercviper

There's a game I'm trying to find. I think it's called crazygame, but I could be wrong. I know it was something simple like that though. It's basically a ridiculous bullet hell game where you just try to survive for as long as you can for high scores. You're basically a pixel that starts off in the midst of a bunch of orange pixels that slowly move in one direction towards you, but as the game progresses, they gain random power ups stuff so they can change trajectory to follow for a bit, or home in on you etc.

My highest score was something like 40 seconds, with an average of 6 seconds.

Edit: some other info about it, it was a small pc game download, like 137kb or something, and it had a japanese (i think) website where high scores got uploaded to. I'm pretty much looking for the website to download and play the game again. :x

I remember years ago watching my neighbor play a game and the only part I remember is there was some sort of underground boxing match going on. There were quick time events in the fighting sequences I believe. It was on either Xbox/Gamecube/PlayStation 2/Dreamcast.

Probably way wrong but it's not Black Sigil by any chance?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Some game on NES where you went around on rollerblades and beat the shit out of people. Or was it skates? I dont remember. No it wasnt dj boys

There was some game I played long ago on the computer (i think it was an Apple with floppy disks...) It was either a series or games by the same people. The first had a creepy house and the second started with a plane crash in the jungle. Other than that, the details are pretty sketchy from my memory. I remember the second had a "get across the ravine" puzzle pretty early on. Any help would be great.

Celine

It was the US localization of Star Cruiser eventually canned by Namco.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yND5V85iPHc

There was some game I played long ago on the computer (i think it was an Apple with floppy disks...) It was either a series or games by the same people. The first had a creepy house and the second started with a plane crash in the jungle. Other than that, the details are pretty sketchy from my memory. I remember the second had a "get across the ravine" puzzle pretty early on. Any help would be great.

The first sounds like Hugo's House of Horrors whilst the 2nd sounds like the 3rd game in the series Jungle of Doom?

bjork

The ravine bit reminds me of an old game called Death in the Caribbean, from like 82 or 83. But that was a graphic text adventure, not sure if that's the right genre.

Okay, I have three. Hope that's okay.

1: An 80s arcade game where you were some sort of Conan the barbarian type and you could get a flame sword and stuff. 2D sidescroller, can't remember much more.

2: A copter/jeep co-op arcade game that was also a sidescroller and I believe the two vehicles combined at the end of the level.

3: A 1942/Raiden style game where you could drop bombs and they'd make holes for you to fly into at which point the game becomes more like R-Type.

Any ideas?

eso76

Okay, I have three. Hope that's okay.

1: An 80s arcade game where you were some sort of Conan the barbarian type and you could get a flame sword and stuff. 2D sidescroller, can't remember much more.

2: A copter/jeep co-op arcade game that was also a sidescroller and I believe the two vehicles combined at the end of the level.

3: A 1942/Raiden style game where you could drop bombs and they'd make holes for you to fly into at which point the game becomes more like R-Type.

Any ideas?

1. Rastan Saga

2. Silkworm (but i don't remember the vehicles combining)

3. Terra Force

cold_matches

Neo Member
Neither but doing a bit of google search with those two names you mentioned I somehow managed to find it: Prehistorik Man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVCXhbqCVNA

Thanks for the help!

arf! My bet was on Chuck Rock !
chuck1.png

mclem

While I think the Hugo games are the more likely answer, I should add that they weren't released on Apple systems. If you actually mean Apple, then the first game might be Mystery House.

eso76

Thanks guys. I might have been wrong about the vehicles combining :p I will try and remember what game THAT was now.

Thinking about it...maybe you're right.
The chopper and the jeep didn't really combine, but iirc, if you managed to make them 'clash' you could unleash some special firepower, like a smartbomb.
I'll go look that up

edit: can't find it and maybe i just imagined everything. Man, it's been 25 years :|

bjork

Thinking about it...maybe you're right.
The chopper and the jeep didn't really combine, but iirc, if you managed to make them 'clash' you could unleash some special firepower, like a smartbomb.
I'll go look that up

The jeep/chopper combo wants to make me say Firepower 2000, but that was overhead and SNES. Don't know if there were any other ports or versions.

mercviper

There's a game I'm trying to find. I think it's called crazygame, but I could be wrong. I know it was something simple like that though. It's basically a ridiculous bullet hell game where you just try to survive for as long as you can for high scores. You're basically a pixel that starts off in the midst of a bunch of orange pixels that slowly move in one direction towards you, but as the game progresses, they gain random power ups stuff so they can change trajectory to follow for a bit, or home in on you etc.

My highest score was something like 40 seconds, with an average of 6 seconds.

Edit: some other info about it, it was a small pc game download, like 137kb or something, and it had a japanese (i think) website where high scores got uploaded to. I'm pretty much looking for the website to download and play the game again. :x

Found it! I had the brilliant idea to add .exe to my google search and there it popped lol.

http://sydney.edu.au/engineering/it/~niu/games/

It's the crazygame.exe file for those of you that like beating your heads against walls. I dunno about the rest of the stuff in that folder though.

Okay, two memories.

1. FPS with various strength, shield and ammo pick-ups, about 10 years old. In the twisted future, killing is a sport shown on TV. Guy (cop?) enters one such killing arena consisting of killing champs, to take revenge or because he has nothing to lose, after his family is killed/lost. Name of the game consists of 3 letters I think, and if I try a bit more I'll remember it. Used to play it around 2006 in an internet cafe.

2. Another game from said internet cafe, from 2006 again. You can choose one of three civilizations, fighting each other for supremacy upon the earth. One civ consists of flying creatures like angels, one from hellish creatures, and another one from skeleton-like creatures. Upon starting the game you are asked to fight a strong battle to the death against a creature from the other civilizations (or your own?), to prove your worth. Game looked a lot like an MMO, but was single-player, and didn't have voice-overs.

thefil

It was a PS2 game published by Atari in which you piloted mechs. There was a very red team and a very blue team. That's all I remember. :(

mrplaid

Here's one I posted back in 2011. I'm still trying to find the name of this damn game.

Here's a tough one...

I'm trying to remember the name of a single-player PC RPG from around 1994-1996 (right around the time Myst reached its peak popularity). You played from a first-person perspective and... that's about as visually descriptive as I can get. It was very grey... I don't remember anything about the plot, either. It was all medieval times and wizards and shit.
For some reason, the thing that always stuck out to me about whatever this game is called (and the reason that I want to remember what it was) was the fact that you could fucking kill your father right at the start of the game. You might have had to run an errand or two before he'd give you your sword, but once it was in your inventory you were free to murder his old ass with impunity. If I remember correctly he put up a pretty good fight, but he would eventually succumb to liberal amounts of stab wounds.
I'm pretty sure the patricide happened in real-time, too, but I don't remember for sure. Everything was probably pixelly and horrible-looking since this was a sprite-based first-person RPG. My dad probably bought it in a bargain pack of ten or so other horrible PC games.

Any idea what I could be talking about?

Additional details: I think the first area you could go to after optionally murdering your father was some kind of foggy wooded area.

Top Bottom