• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Niahak

okay i need help here, anyone remember a NDS RPG (pretty sure it was a JRPG) with time traveling, some of the characters counterparts (from other time) come from these portals to warn about things during the story, though i dont remeber the "main party" traveling (maybe they travel later in the game), 3d battles with party system and that's pretty much all i remember.

it wasn't randiant historia or chrono trigger, help me guys.

If it's the one I was thinking of, it's Suikoden Tierkreis. It's not time-traveling, though, it's a sort of multi-verse.

The silver-haired girl's other-world counterpart comes to your world several times to help out and warn you about what's happening over there. Your party never does travel to another world, though they are impacted by them and the main character gets visions of the other world(s).

Decent game, though not nearly as good as the core Suikodens.

I have a nostalgia fever, and the only cure is to find an old game which name I can't remember!

A MS-DOS game, top-down puzzle; you have to maneuver a smiley face through "mazes" filled with traps like bows that shoot arrows and clouds that drop lighting. There were potions that give you a brief moment of invincibility against the traps.

No, it's not Supaplex. It's not a "eat every square and avoid things suddenly falling" game. It's more of a "find the way around the traps" game. I think there were "scrolls" in the ground that gave hints and treasure chests.

Kainazzo

Was there ever a beta of Panzer Dragoon Zwei in store kiosks? I remember years ago being in Toys R' Us and playing a demo of what looks like the forest level in Zwei, only with minor tweaks. It took place at night, and instead of a boss fight and "Stage Clear!" screen transition, you would fly straight from the forest across a gap to a castle courtyard to shoot at a giant airship. You could run on the ground or fly, but if you chose the former, you had to jump over obstacles. Said courtyard also had an all-range mode like in Star Fox 64.

The dragon had an orange beam attack similar to Zwei, but it was solid and only traveled in a straight line (you could stand still in all-range and aim the head though). I also remember the framerate being higher, getting to 60 in plenty of stretches.

I suspect it was Zwei, but Youtube's version is fairly different from what I clearly remember. If Zwei came out in 1996 then that lines up, but did major stores still have Saturn kiosks that late?

PS1 game. I remember that you played as some sort of robot, although it was depicted as a man in a hulking suit in the cutscenes IIRC. It was a sort of platformer/shooter in third person, and the second level (or the first level that isn't a tutorial) had your character with a limp, meaning he couldn't jump. Any ideas?

BooJoh

I have a very vague memory of a PC demo I played once... everything I remember about it would suggest it was Elder Scrolls: Arena, except I'm fairly certain it wasn't. I recall starting the game (the demo anyway) outdoors. I don't really remember how the combat was or anything, mainly just that it had flat landscapes with 2d sprites for trees. I doubt I'll figure it out, but I figure it's worth a shot.

If it used ASCII/ANSI art it could be ZZT, Super ZZT, or any number of Roguelikes. I do believe ZZT had an invincibility item though, and definitely had you navigating mazes full of traps.

I remember playing a game where the main character was an animal wearing blue clothes or something. I also vaguely remember him flying in some sort of airship or airplane.

The game would be Rocket Knight if it wasn't for my memory screwing with me because I remember playing it on the original PlayStation and to my knowledge, no Rocket Knight game was released for the PlayStation.

So my question is, was there a game similar to Rocket Knight on the PlayStation or has my memory deceived me and I was actually playing it on a Genesis?

^Tail Concerto?
gfs_43045_1_21.jpg

mclem

I have a very vague memory of a PC demo I played once... everything I remember about it would suggest it was Elder Scrolls: Arena, except I'm fairly certain it wasn't. I recall starting the game (the demo anyway) outdoors. I don't really remember how the combat was or anything, mainly just that it had flat landscapes with 2d sprites for trees. I doubt I'll figure it out, but I figure it's worth a shot.

Other RPG first-person games at around the same time (I'm not sure all have exterior sections, but the first definitely does; I think the first is the most likely)

Betrayal at Krondor (Or the sequel, Betrayal at Antara)
Drakkhen (Kinda)
Hexx: Heresy of the Wizard
Legends of Valour

If it used ASCII/ANSI art it could be ZZT, Super ZZT, or any number of Roguelikes. I do believe ZZT had an invincibility item though, and definitely had you navigating mazes full of traps.

No, the game I'm looking has better graphics, I think it may been released in the early 1990s. It isn't a roguelike.

spekkeh

Banned

Ah yes, ZZT, that was the name I was looking for. Though apparently he wasn't lol.

MAX PAYMENT

There's a game from my childhood that I cannot remember the name. I believe it was an NES game. It had River City Ransom art style, but the game was about sporting events. I remember swimming stuff. Shot put. Etc. what was this game?
Edit: found it. Crash n the Boys: Street Challenge

I definitely remember it being side scrolling, which adds to the..."I was probably playing it on the Genesis argument."

Kind of a silly guess, perhaps, but any chance you're thinking of Sparkster, the sequel to Rocket Knight Adventure? It was on the Genesis.

Edit: And a quick look around looks like there's an airship in level 2 of the SNES and level 3 of the Genesis versions of the game.

Megazeux was a spiritual successor to ZZT that wasn't as confined to character-set graphics. A possibility?

Nah. The game I'm looking for was more like this: here's a level, find the way to the exit, go to next level. Let me recap and reword, and add some more details I forgot before:

* Top-down view.
* You have to maneuver a smiley face through levels filled with traps like bows that shoot arrows if you move in front of them, and clouds that drop lighting if you move under them.
* There were potions that give you a brief moment of invincibility against the traps.
* I think there were scrolls in the ground that gave hints (like in DROD)
* Not a roguelike.
* Probably released in the early/mid '90s.

FryHole

Nah. The game I'm looking for was more like this: here's a level, find the way to the exit, go to next level. Let me recap and reword, and add some more details I forgot before:

* Top-down view.
* You have to maneuver a smiley face through levels filled with traps like bows that shoot arrows if you move in front of them, and clouds that drop lighting if you move under them.
* There were potions that give you a brief moment of invincibility against the traps.
* I think there were scrolls in the ground that gave hints (like in DROD)
* Not a roguelike.
* Probably released in the early/mid '90s.

This is just a wild stab in the dark (for one, it's a ball, not a smiley face) - how about Rock 'n Roll? Even if this wrong, I loved this damn game!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_'n'_Roll_(video_game)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DOXRmWiY-0

Fandangox

There was this game I think it was on the PS1 or PS2. It had a desert setting, side scroller/platformer, colorful sprites and had an uniqute art style. The structures sort of looked like dbz domes.

I remember some of the enemies looking kind of like those brown cactus-looking thing from the Kirby games, and if you killed an enemy their ghost would rise to the sky. (Or it was probably if npcs died, don't remember)

The memories of me playing this are extremely fuzzy, by this point in time I am not even sure if this is a dream I had or something.

DTJAAAAM

There was this game I think it was on the PS1 or PS2. It had a desert setting, side scroller/platformer, colorful sprites and had an uniqute art style. The structures sort of looked like dbz domes.

I remember some of the enemies looking kind of like those brown cactus-looking thing from the Kirby games, and if you killed an enemy their ghost would rise to the sky. (Or it was probably if npcs died, don't remember)

The memories of me playing this are extremely fuzzy, by this point in time I am not even sure if this is a dream I had or something.

Silhouette Mirage?

Alright, trying to sort out a game.

I'm trying to help the guy above with the smiley face game that's similar to Chip's Challenge. During the same time period of Windows 3.1 I played a game that might be the same but is likely just a clone of others that went around.

First off, it's like Kye. I had completely forgotten about this game until I started this search for the other person's game and then started searching for this mystery game of my own. To get a good idea, here's Kye: http://xye.sourceforge.net/kye.php

I'm really certain the game I'm thinking of was called Heart or Hearts. Or possibly that was just part of the title. Also, it's NOT Heartlight except it appears to play pretty much the same as that. Heartlight's characters and graphics are too zoomed in. But the concept seemed the same and I believe the character you moved around might have been elven (again, zoomed out old Windows 3.1 graphics and 20+ years past since I played, could be a bit off). I distinctly remember a grassy tileset, water that you died in, rafts to cross water, ice that made you slide from one side to the next, rocks that fell when you collected the ground below them (often puzzles dealt with the rocks), and snakes that would only move one tile closer to you as you moved. I know there were other enemies and obstacles (pretty sure fire was another as well as arrow trap things).

Looking at all the stuff on Heartlight it's almost an exact match but graphically it's way different so I'm sure the game I'm thinking of is just a clone. I feel like I'm so close to finding it but I can't. Ugh.

bjork

Was there ever a beta of Panzer Dragoon Zwei in store kiosks? I remember years ago being in Toys R' Us and playing a demo of what looks like the forest level in Zwei, only with minor tweaks. It took place at night, and instead of a boss fight and "Stage Clear!" screen transition, you would fly straight from the forest across a gap to a castle courtyard to shoot at a giant airship. You could run on the ground or fly, but if you chose the former, you had to jump over obstacles. Said courtyard also had an all-range mode like in Star Fox 64.

The dragon had an orange beam attack similar to Zwei, but it was solid and only traveled in a straight line (you could stand still in all-range and aim the head though). I also remember the framerate being higher, getting to 60 in plenty of stretches.

I suspect it was Zwei, but Youtube's version is fairly different from what I clearly remember. If Zwei came out in 1996 then that lines up, but did major stores still have Saturn kiosks that late?

Yes, because that's when I played it and thought I might want to get back into gaming after a stint on the sidelines. It was there for a little while before the holiday 96 lobby display with Saturn/NiGHTS - N64/Mario - PS1/Crash that most stores had going.

Though, I don't remember the details specifically aside from the canyon level of Zwei.

Kiryu

I remember when I was 6 or 7 years old... I got PC and my dad got me Flight Controller and the game (It should be 1993-2000).

I can't remember the name but it is the game that

I am the "Turret" or Anti-Plane Turret/Cannon something, and I do not move at all on the ground. I shoot all the alien ships and one mothership in the air.

The background (ground/mountain/grass) is so brown even the sky are tan and most of colors are dark brown.

mclem

I remember when I was 6 or 7 years old... I got PC and my dad got me Flight Controller and the game (It should be 1993-2000).

I can't remember the name but it is the game that

I am the "Turret" or Anti-Plane Turret/Cannon something, and I do not move at all on the ground. I shoot all the alien ships and one mothership in the air.

The background (ground/mountain/grass) is so brown even the sky are tan and most of colors are dark brown.

Incoming? That's cropped up in this thread quite a few times, it's one of those games lots of people can remember but can't recall the name of :)

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
A game where you you have to defend yourself from waves of dinosaurs and your behind a fence with machine guns. It's on xbla I believe.

Crub

Depending on how sure you are it was a hot air balloon, it could be Secret Agent. The parachute could be remembered as a hot air balloon.

While the title screen doesn't ring any bells, the gameplay sure does. Pretty sure that's the game I was thinking of, thanks!

Z_Y

This has been bugging me off and on for a week now.

There was this XBLA game announced a year or so after the 360 launched. I'd say it was the "2nd Gen" of XBLA where they were getting away from rom dumps and Popcap games and devs were making games solely for the XBLA platform.

This game was a 2-D basketball type game with hoops on either side of the screen but the setting was anything but a traditional basketball court setting...it was almost fantasy like with animal like characters bouncing around the screen trying to score. I feel like the screen had an orange-ish hue as if the sun was setting with volcanoes in the background.

I'm guessing it was a 2-4 player game. Was that game ever released? What was it called? Does anybody else even recall what I'm talking about? Am I losing my mind, GAF?

This has been bugging me off and on for a week now.

There was this XBLA game announced a year or so after the 360 launched. I'd say it was the "2nd Gen" of XBLA where they were getting away from rom dumps and Popcap games and devs were making games solely for the XBLA platform.

This game was a 2-D basketball type game with hoops on either side of the screen but the setting was anything but a traditional basketball court setting...it was almost fantasy like with animal like characters bouncing around the screen trying to score. I feel like the screen had an orange-ish hue as if the sun was setting with volcanoes in the background.

I'm guessing it was a 2-4 player game. Was that game ever released? What was it called? Does anybody else even recall what I'm talking about? Am I losing my mind, GAF?

Really depends on what you mean by 2D. My guess is Hoopworld: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8z2kBgTWAA

I believe most the shots made it look like all the action was shot from the side, so perhaps it looked 2D to you? And the coloring, themes, and characters were all quite vivid. The time period also matches as it was announced in 2005 and shown a number of times after that I believe. It was eventually released on WiiWare in 2010.

Z_Y

Really depends on what you mean by 2D. My guess is Hoopworld: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8z2kBgTWAA

I believe most the shots made it look like all the action was shot from the side, so perhaps it looked 2D to you? And the coloring, themes, and characters were all quite vivid. The time period also matches as it was announced in 2005 and shown a number of times after that I believe. It was eventually released on WiiWare in 2010.

Yes! Thank you!!

My memory was a bit hazy...I didn't remember it being 3-D. Thanks again!

KYZR

Might have been a Genesis (mega drive) game, all I remember was it was in space and I think shit was flying at you, (might have been stuff like flaming rings / orbs), I also remember the music being awesome.

Haven't touched a genesis since I was 5 years old so I have no idea if this game (assuming I haven't imagined it) was quite niche or a huge title back then...I want to listen to that music again so bad. Help GAF!

wizard341

PC game back during the early 90's. I believe the combat was a like Jagged Alliance. The units were all bugs, I specifically remember a praying mantis as a unit.

I believe there was an army motif, so you were following orders from your general. The combat took place on small objects that appeared to be big because of how small the units were (i.e a pool table or a shelf).

I asked about this a while back, no luck. Maybe someone will know it this time:

A DOS-era game based on the Halloween movies. First-person, Doom-like engine, you play as Michael Myers. In the demo I downloaded, you start out on a street at night with rows of houses around you, and you could walk around the houses and...not much else. There's a button to swing a knife so I guess the object is to kill people, but I couldn't find a way to get into any of the houses and didn't see any NPCs. There was a HUD, but no options or menu that I could find. Maybe it wasn't even a full game, like a fan project or something, but I'm sure it existed. The engine was roughly Doom-level, all sprites and simple geometry but it wasn't a Doom mod. I probably downloaded it around 98-2000.

mclem

PC game back during the early 90's. I believe the combat was a like Jagged Alliance. The units were all bugs, I specifically remember a praying mantis as a unit.

I believe there was an army motif, so you were following orders from your general. The combat took place on small objects that appeared to be big because of how small the units were (i.e a pool table or a shelf).

Well, it sounds like Battle Bugs, but that's not really *that* much like Jagged Alliance. Still, it might be what you're after.

RoadDogg

I asked about this a while back, no luck. Maybe someone will know it this time:

A DOS-era game based on the Halloween movies. First-person, Doom-like engine, you play as Michael Myers. In the demo I downloaded, you start out on a street at night with rows of houses around you, and you could walk around the houses and...not much else. There's a button to swing a knife so I guess the object is to kill people, but I couldn't find a way to get into any of the houses and didn't see any NPCs. There was a HUD, but no options or menu that I could find. Maybe it wasn't even a full game, like a fan project or something, but I'm sure it existed. The engine was roughly Doom-level, all sprites and simple geometry but it wasn't a Doom mod. I probably downloaded it around 98-2000.

While I have never seen or heard of such a thing, it sounds awesome. Here is a more recent game that sounds kind of similar in concept. Maybe it evolved from what you remember?
http://pigfarmergames.com/

Might have been a Genesis (mega drive) game, all I remember was it was in space and I think shit was flying at you, (might have been stuff like flaming rings / orbs), I also remember the music being awesome.

Haven't touched a genesis since I was 5 years old so I have no idea if this game (assuming I haven't imagined it) was quite niche or a huge title back then...I want to listen to that music again so bad. Help GAF!

A 16 bit Space Harrier maybe?

Here's one for the detectives on Gaf.

Trying to remember this, I think Amiga game by a noted programmer on the UK scene (like Jeff Minter, Andrew Braybrook etc). From what I remember you played as a fugitive in a dystopian society where you had to avoid getting detected by the police while accessing computer terminals. I think it played from a first person perspective and came in an enhanced version for the A1200.

I've been racking my brains trying to remember and it's driving me nuts.

Top Bottom