• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games You'll Never Play Because You Just Won't

Evilmaus

So I'm wondering what games people on Gaf admit they'll probably never play, without having any real reason not to.

For me, that game is Final Fantasy VIII.

And I really have no idea why. I love JRPG's. I've played plenty of Final Fantasy games. Started with FFVII in 97. Went back for the earlier ones years later. IX is my favourite. I slogged through XIII and XIII-2. Have plans to play Lightning Returns at some point. Looking forward to XV and VII Remake. Sunk plenty of time into A Realm Reborn. Played the Remaster of X and X-2.

I've even played Triple Triad through mobile apps and online, but I will probably never actually sit down and play FFVIII. I don't have anything against it. I don't really even know that much about it. I could make the time if I wanted to, and I've got the money to purchase it. But, for whatever reason, I don't have any real desire, and so will probably never play it. Because fuck FFVIII.

Who else has a game like this that they know they're just not going to play for no particularly good reason?

5taquitos

Piggybacking off of OP, I'll never play FFXIII.

Just too much bad word of mouth, and I ain't got time to waste on mediocrity.

This is coming from a big FF fan.

Warxard

Banned
I will probably never play Nier considering how sterile the gameplay is apparently.

Bought the soundtrack tho

Wagram

All WoW clones, mostly all pseudo-online MMO games (ex. Destiny, Division), and competitive online only titles like Overwatch. Just not my style.

One big example that comes to mind recently is Undertale. A section of that fan-base is so obnoxious that they've ruined any and all willingness I had for it.

Any AAA western open-world game (e.g. Witcher, Elder Scrolls). Nothing against them but I'm personally just not interested.

The Last of Us.

This is a good one too. Honestly, most AAA western games in general, come to think of it. There's a few I like (e.g. Uncharted, Mirror's Edge, Overwatch) but the typical stuff isn't really my thing. Yeah, I'm a hipster.

Pejo

Titanfall. I think it's the arrogance of Microsoft at its launch and all the connotations that came with it. "Have you SEEN Titanfall?" Couple this with the fact that I suck at and don't enjoy multiplayer shooters, and there you have it.

Also, probably not Overwatch for similar reasons (minus the MS part).

I always get the feeling Bayonetta is a boring button-masher and Undertale is an Earthbound copy. I know I should try them, but I probably never will. I'm just not interested.

Kadin

I'll never play Heroes of the Storm. And I love just about every Blizzard game I've ever played. It just doesn't appeal to me and yet I can easily download and play it any time I want. Part of me thinks I should but I know I never will.

HvySky

The Last of Us.

All of my friends have played and loved it, but whenever I look at it (and everything Naughty Dog has done post-UC2) I'm filled with complete apathy. I've restarted it four separate times and always get to around the same area, stop for the day, and just never go back to it. It just never really left an impression on me, at least not enough to warrant returning to it, I guess.

I doubt I'll ever go back to it.

Never playing any MOBA and most online multiplayer shooters (although Splatoon is one of my favorite games) like Titanfall, Overwatch, TF2, etc, and strategy games that aren't X-Com.

Sports titles (excluding racers)

54ffe5266025c-dog1.jpg

Also:

MOBA/RTS
Mobile
God games/world builders

Up until a week ago I would've said Civ because I've just never been into the whole Strategy genre. After giving it a try though, holy shit is it addicting.

Uncharted games 'cause they are just not my cup of tea. Also any moba or tower defense game. There are tons of others, but I'm blanking right now.

Sulik2

Zelda: Wind Waker, Zelda shouldn't be a looney toon thank you very much.

Mortal Kombat X, way too much gore.

PSqueak

Banned
The souls series and bloodborne, because of the obnoxious fans, i normally don't let the awful fandoms of things sour them for me (i mean, for fucks sake, i watch Steven Universe) but souls fans somehow managed to break my limit with their obnoxiousness.I concider this "no reason" because it's not actually based on the game's actual merit.

Dargor

The Last of Us.

All of my friends have played and loved it, but whenever I look at it (and everything Naughty Dog has done post-UC2) I'm filled with complete apathy. I've restarted it four separate times and always get to around the same area, stop for the day, and just never go back to it. It just never really left an impression on me, at least not enough to warrant returning to it, I guess.

I doubt I'll ever go back to it.

Didn't even read the thread title? Lazy Gaf at it again ;P

Edit: Forgot to participate my list of probably never going to be played games lol

In my case, I'll probably never play the MS strong trio: Halo, Forza and Gears.

Not because they are bad games or anything like that, but because I really disliked that, for a long time, it felt like MS was only making Halo, Forza and Gears games. I really didn't want to support that type of business model, even if they were, in fact, releasing other games beside those.

MikeyB

Nintendo IP outside of Animal Crossing. I know that they're good, but I cannot bring myself to care about them.

mcz117chief

Dota 2 and pretty much any Blizzard game (Starcraft 2 is ok), their design is extremely off putting and makes me very uncomfortable.

what. this is my exact list. let's check: do you play Souls games a lot? did you fall into the Destiny sinkhole? Hearthstone?

Obsessed with Souls. Bloodborne is in my top ten of all time (obnoxious Souls fan here). I have Destiny but can't bring myself to actually play it. Haven't tried Hearth.

Matush

Most, if not all JRPGs/eastern produced games in general, I cant stand anime/japanese design of games, shows or whatever it is. Not into it.

There's NOTHING I'll ever not play. Even if it's something my friend's really into and I don't get it. It'll take time sure but I can eventually get around to liking any game :D

DJ_Lae

MOBAs and sports games.

I mean, I guess I do have some reasons - the community, for MOBAs, and I just don't give a shit about sports in general so playing them in a game isn't appealing - but they're two things I'm immediately dismissive of.

MOBAs in particular seem like horrible time sinks with the worst aspects of humanity.

Overwatch

Had a pretty hilarious message convo this morning with an old Quake III & Phantasy Star Online friend of mine trying to get me to buy it.

"Are you anti blizzard?"

"You sound like a republican."

Ogawa-san

I downloaded P.T. back then, I still have it, it still works. I'll never, ever play it. Same goes for that Amnesia I got on a bundle, sitting unplayed on my steam library for years.

Horror games, world of nope.

Bonus points if it comes with survival mechanics like limited ammo and whatnot. I gave up on trying to like RE after 2.

Alavard

Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes / The Phantom Pain.

I've tried many times to get into the MGS games, having tried MGS, MGS 2, MGS 3, MG4, and Peacewalker at various times, and just never being any good at them or enjoying myself. I have a great deal of respect for the games, but they're just not for me, so I'm not going to waste my time trying any more of them.

I have a great deal of respect for the games, but they're just not for me, so I'm not going to waste my time trying any more of them.

Wish more folks had this kind of attitude toward games. There's a lot of games I don't like that I don't shit on from above just because I don't like them. I don't care for The Last of Us but I have a great deal of respect for the obvious talent that went into it in every facet.

IvanJ

Banned
Plenty of games I never intend to play, just because I dislike many genres. But to narrow it down: Never will play any JRPG, as well as "sword and sorcery" games like Witcher, Skyrim, Dragon Age, Dark Souls etc...

No matter the critical acclaim, these games do not interest me at all.

Bayonetta
Final fantasy
Baseball games
Yokai watch
Any thing by platinum. Wonderful 101 and transformers turned me off of them.
RPGs
Mobas

Horohoro

Any AAA western open-world game (e.g. Witcher, Elder Scrolls). Nothing against them but I'm personally just not interested.

The Last of Us.

This is a good one too. Honestly, most AAA western games in general, come to think of it. There's a few I like (e.g. Uncharted, Mirror's Edge, Overwatch) but the typical stuff isn't really my thing. Yeah, I'm a hipster.

Thats very interesting...
On topic though I guess this is hard for me I'll give just about anything a chance 99% of the time.
But horror games I guess... idk I like RE but outright horror stuff is more of a bore to me(I beat P.T. but its just not for me. I get a jump scare but meh....)

Ensoul

Any Dark Souls game. I don't have any desire for games that are overally difficult.

Any MMORPG. Just don't have the time and care enough. I did buy everquest back in its heyday (1999 maybe) and it was just a HUGE waste of money. Played it for about 15 minutes and I was like how the heck are people addicted to this game?

Top Bottom