• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games You'll Never Play Because You Just Won't

StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void

I tried Wings of Liberty and wasn't a huge fan compared to the original and Brood War, but I could tolerate it. Then Heart of the Swarm doubled down on everything I hated about it.

No more money from me, Blizzard. If my brother-in-law is insistent enough I'll pick up Overwatch, but knowing me even that won't happen.

Metroid Prime Federation Force

I actually expect that, like Luigi's Mansion 2, it'll actually be a pretty fine game even if it uses a very different storytelling and level design structure compared to the previous ones. Next Level Games is a pretty good developer.

But I'm not a fan of the direction Nintendo's been taking the Metroid IP since Other M. They need to realign with the stuff that made the original/Super/Prime great, or I'm out.

Anything else from Platinum Games

Most of their games that I've played fail at controls in one way or another. The exception being Bayonetta, which was good (and I'm glad I played it) but not that good that I'm hungry for more.

Final Fantasy VIII

I tried playing this a couple years ago but failed to understand how stat growth actually worked. Made it through the first couple discs (multi-hour boss fights since I hadn't used the Junction system properly) and then hit a wall where I was too weak to progress. Now that I understand how everything works, I'm actually less interested in going back and playing through it correctly than I was before.

Final Fantasy X-2

I love the battle system, and I'm even good with the offbeat story, characters, music, and overall tone. But I can't get over the godawful mission design. Nope.

karasu

Uncharted(except half of 2),the last of us. I'm just not in not naughty dog characters, gameplay, or focus on cinematic set pieces. They do nothing for me. Just like call of duty campaigns. I don't find it impressive.

Ullus

PVP survival games (The Culling and DayZ)

I like PVP, and I like survival games. But putting them together does nothing for me.

*sigh*

Is it shit on FFVIII day or something? Getting tired of seeing this.

Anyways, the Souls/Bloodborne games (I did try the original Demon's Souls though) and Overwatch
unless they magically decide to make a single player campaign someday
would fit this recently for me. Just not my cup of tea.

Azriell

I'll probably never play an Uncharted game, outside of the Vita game (unless they go on IGC PS4). I don't really know why, but the games have never appealed to me. I hated the Vita game, but I don't hold that against the main series. I enjoyed Tomb Raider, which I acknowledge is probably a just a lesser version of Uncharted. I'm at least 75% of the way through The Order, and I'm even enjoying that much to my surprise (although I find the setting, story, and characters to be right up my alley, whereas Uncharted's cast and seeing don't excite me very much).

Dargor

I can't really think of any games that I would straight up refuse to play without giving it a fair shake. I'll try just about anything! I got maybe 30-60 minutes into TLOU each time and gave up. Now whenever anyone recommends I play through it, my usual response is "nah, I'm good" without any actual reason. Seems like a pretty apt example, all things considered!

Don't sweat it man, its just that this thread is about games we never played and probably never will, but then you went about a game you played several times lol, I just had to make a little joke about it.

Hey, at least you tried it, even if you never got close to the good parts ;) hehehe

KingJ2002

Life is Strange
Dark Souls
Warcraft / Starcraft
Borderlands

and MOBA's (Paragon isn't hooking me like i thought it would)

ChrisD

If it's Sports and doesn't have to do with Mario or rocket powered battle cars I've never played it and may never do so in my life.

Most FPS games, especially those in a modern or historical military setting. I've never been big on guns, and I generally find the first person perspective to be boring. The FPS games I do play tend to have a comparatively heavy focus on role-playing mechanics and some kind of fantastical setting.

Mulgrok

GTA, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed

Nothing I have seen has appealed to me. I guess open world games are not really my thing.

EDIT: oh ya, MOBA's too

CHC

Borderlands - they're graphically ugly and the humor is stupid. I might enjoy the games, I might not, but really I prefer to just avoid them.

Older Ubisoft games - I actually really like Ubisoft's games for the most part, but no matter how much I might enjoy the latest Far Cry or Assassin's Creed, there's no way I'm going to go back in time and try to catch up on playing all the older titles. My mentality with the yearly games like those is you miss a few, you play a few, it really doesn't matter.

Retromess

Neo Member
Genre - RTS. Just not my type of game, can't handle all the multi-tasking and micro-managing they require and I just don't have fun playing them.

Game I own - Witcher 3. I was hugely disappointed with the game, tried my hardest to get into it but after like 7ish hours I just wasn't having fun. Haven't played it in about a year and no interest to try it again.

Closer runner up is the Civilization games. Same with RTS style games, I just can't get into them at all.

enoki

I have a feeling I'll never play Yo-kai Watch. I love Level-5, I like monster catching, but for some reason I don't have a shred of desire to even try it.

Uncharted for me, just couldn't get into the first one and haven't tried the others since they are so story heavy. Maybe one day I'll give them another shot. Also GTA, but that's because I actively dislike the entire premise of that game. Playing as a criminal/gangster has little to no appeal to me, especially a modern one.

DandySpike

Neo Member
Any Call of Duty game (shocking). Played a good amount of Black Ops, and that was all that I needed. Also Minecraft, it is a good game, but I don't have the patience for that type of game.

Any Japanese game not made by Nintendo or one of Sony's studios. Though Sony seems to be more International than Japanese so I'm not sure if I even need to include that clarification

TheYanger

People that play Overwatch will never play Battleborn yet still feel the need to shit on it because the mere existence of Battleborn takes away their ability to enjoy Overwatch.

Pretty much the dumbest non-reason to not play a game I've ever seen.

That's...not what the thread was asking? Battleborn fanboys that martyr themselves and think people don't like the game because of Overwatch.

See that's also not a 'game I'll never play' - that's people that are ridiculous.

Back to topic, I'll almost surely never play ... I struggle to think of something I'm just NEVER going to play for any reason other than 'hey you just happened not to play that'. I don't really like most sports games but I certainly can and could play them. Let's say Homefront the Revolution? That looks uninteresting AND due to it bombing hard most likely I will doubtful ever play it.

grand-theft-banner.JPG

I just don't understand the appeal. I get to play as a dick, steal cars, rob banks, murder pedestrians? No thanks...

I remember when GTA3 was released on the same day as The Two Towers. My friends berated me for buying The Lord of the Rings game instead of GTA. To this day I still believe it's one of the best decisions I ever made =)

Genuine question, have you actually PLAYED GTA? because the appeal isn't 'murder pedestrians and steal cars' at all.

SomTervo

I think Dark Souls 3.

Just feel like i've had my fill with DeS and DaS1, which i never finished. Completed. Bloodborne and finished about 60-70% of the first two, and i feel like i've had enough or a lifetime.

I love them all, but no incentive or urge to go ahead with Dark Souls 3. Looks largely like more of the same, with some great refinements.

Anything with a persistent online community. The only time my consoles are online is to do a firmware update or to download a game/dlc. Otherwise they're disconnected.

Genuine question, have you actually PLAYED GTA? because the appeal isn't 'murder pedestrians and steal cars' at all.

Nope, just as the thread title says. No interest in even trying it. And if that isn't the appeal of these games, then Rockstar are doing an awful job by mis-advertising them. The violence, guns, and crime are the key selling points judging by all the trailers. Not the open world gameplay. I get that fix from TES, The Witcher 3, and Assassin's Creed.

Assassins Creed games, Bethesda RPGs, Overwatch, mobas, free to play games, western mmorpgs, sports games (racing and skating is great)

99,9% of the online shooters. They're all the same. And then I'm interested in Overwatch and that new WW1 BF. I just doubt that I can justify the cost if I'm not going to play them that much.

Also Far Crys, all future Assassin's Creeds, MOBAs, 95% of the sports games. And now I'm beginning to think I most likely will skip all the puzzle games in the future as well as I don't have time for them. Same goes to MMOs (except Destiny). F2P games. Bethesda RPGs. Dragon Ages.

xVodevil

Assassins Creed games, Bethesda RPGs, Overwatch, mobas, free to play games, western mmorpgs, sports games (racing and skating is great)

Bethesda RPGs
Yup... I've tried Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3. The most I've got is 5 or 6 hours with Skyrim, but none can hold my interest any further than that.

pur

Neo Member
Gears/God of War, two of the most popular franchises from the last gen and I have zero interest in playing either.

With very few exceptions, most strategy RPGs and stealth games fall under the "will never play" category for me. They're just not my cup of tea, though some of them can be very interesting to watch other people play.

jennetics

GTA V and probably future GTAs as well. Just not really into that realistic open world anymore. Plus I don't like GTA characters at all.

woopWOOP

Probably that pile of NDS games I still have to remove from plastic. They're there and ready to be played, but I end up spending my time with endless multiplayer modes of other games or some hot new release. I want to play them! ...but not as much as the other games.

Top Bottom