• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games You'll Never Play Because You Just Won't

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I'll probably never get around to playing an Assassin's Creed or Gears of War game. There are too many other games I'm more interested in, so there's zero chance of me getting around to these.

Nosgotham

I never understand the comments where it's the "fanbase" that is the barrier. Is the fanbase whispering in your ear as you're playing something? Playing a game, especially a single player game like Undertale, is a completely individual experience. Regardless of how big or loud or whatever a fanbase is, it isn't there while you're playing. That reason always comes across as a lame excuse IMO

i get it. just like with anything, if the fans annoy you, you link that negative connotation to the media or object they praise. its not rational but i've done it before with music. like i said, its not rational but i totally get where hes coming from

Maz

Free to play. As soon as I see free to play I lose complete interest and will never play it. God how I hate free to play, if I had one wish before I die it would be for free to play to burn in hell.

Mobile games, touch controls are a complete turn off. Tried a few popular mobile games and no thanks. Vita/3DS is all I need for portable gaming.

Anything MP only or MP focussed. I'll break for Co Op and the rare MMORPG campaigns.

I won't even consider competitive MP only games.

F2P and MOBAs (which is covered in the MP only) also.

The premise behind the story. I always liked that it had a first person Assassin's Creed vibe to it, but I cannot get behind the ludicrous nature of the story and it seriously drove me away from the game.
The steampunk Victorian/Lovecraftian world is part of the game's strength. But I guess I could see why one wouldn't like that

Star Ocean

I bought 1 and 2 for PSP and they're going to sit there forever. There's just too many games to play to get around to 'lesser' ones like this.

Menitta

Undertale. I don't think the game looks particularly good, I don't like those style of puzzles, and I just don't want to. I want to play the games I want to. I'll take recommendations, but I'll always be less motivated to play those games.

Lebneney

Banned
Undertale. I don't think the game looks particularly good, I don't like those style of puzzles, and I just don't want to. I want to play the games I want to. I'll take recommendations, but I'll always be less motivated to play those games.

Holy shit, I thought I was the only one!

eXistor

Undertale is mostly (and rightly) praised for its writing, music and combat system. If you're into quirky, clever rpg's like Earthbound, then it's a no-brainer, but I can see people just not liking it and that's fine.

Spyware

I was thinking I'd never play Undertale, but I actually started it today. Not really into it so far but I'm happy I finally gave it a chance.

Maybe the GTA-series. I enjoy the genre and happily play Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row and stuff. I just don't want to play GTA. Yuck.

Kalamoj

Overwatch - looks ok, but I don't have time to play any mp game regularly, and the community doesn't seem noob friendly
Fallout games - 3 was so bad it killed the series for me, NV seems awesome, but I heard the ps3 version is unplayable

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I read the OP as games that you would probably like but don't have any will to play for one reason or another. Not a game/genre that you flat out dislike.

So anyways, Baldur's Gate 2 would be a perfect example of a game I might like but don't have the will to try. I hear talk about how great it is, I've played through other Bioware games (with various degrees of liking and disliking), I've nothing against dated interfaces or older games (and in fact have completed Planescape which runs on the same engine). But hearing that it's a 100+ hour game, in that tired Tolkein-inspired fantasy setting, causes me to lose interest... I think if I have limited time to play a game, the fresher settings and more palatable combat of the various Japanese RPGs I haven't played take precedence over the longer/more epic western RPGs. And the whole 'choice and consequence' that western RPGs, especially Baldurs, are known for was never much of a selling point for me, the western RPGs I like, I like for other reasons (Planescape and Witcher for story, Mass Effect for music and environment, Fable 2 for it's quirky British humor and shallow sim elements)

Nerokis

I never understand the comments where it's the "fanbase" that is the barrier. Is the fanbase whispering in your ear as you're playing something? Playing a game, especially a single player game like Undertale, is a completely individual experience. Regardless of how big or loud or whatever a fanbase is, it isn't there while you're playing. That reason always comes across as a lame excuse IMO

Particularly when the complaints about fanbases seem selective and exaggerated. It's one thing to emphasize the negative experiences, which more often than not comes down to cognitive biases, and quite another to double down on those negative experiences to the point of refusing to check something out. In general, I would put "x fanbase is terrible" talk close to the bottom tier of forum discussion.

Anyway, one game that comes to mind for me is GTA V. I have it sitting around, I loved past GTAs and dig open-world games in general, but for some reason it never manages to be a priority. At this point, even though it's right there waiting to be played, I've pretty much come to see it as a cultural thing I'll never experience myself.

Spyware

I didn't really understand the fanbase thing until I tried to check if there was an option for sound for Undertale and was met with... that fanbase. It's some of the worst I've seen. People screaming that if you dislike a single thing about the game you "don't deserve to play this INTELLIGENT AMAZING BEST GAME EVER ANYWAY"

And no they don't stand beside me and whisper in my ear but the screaming about the game being so much better than everything else and SO FUNNY and better written can be heard in my head as soon as something happens in the game.

In the beginning
a flower that seems friendly turns out to be evil, oh what a twist!
and I have seen people say that this is such an amazing start to a game and it's mega special in sooo many ways. And it's really... not. It's good, but remembering that stuff people says makes it less good "in comparison" and makes it all feel a bit annoying. I'm usually not one that listens to hype and let such things ruin my experience, but these people are so many and so mega obnoxious that I almost feel like I don't want to have anything to do with the game.

I did start it and I aim to get through it but I can really see why people can't be bothered due to "the fanbase".

Top Bottom