• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games You'll Never Play Because You Just Won't

DOTA/MOBAs in general.

Part of me knows that if I start going down that road I won't be able to stop. I made the call all the way back in Uni to never touch it for fear of my grades dropping and I'm sticking to that.

I like being productive.

takriel

GTA
Final Fantasy
Assassin's Creed
Far Cry
Deus Ex
Dead Space
BioShock
Mass Effect
Call of Duty
Battlefield
Sports games
Xenoblade Chronicles X

I don't play a whole lot to be honest.

Bizzquik

Dishonored

All the promotional material before launch was talking about how killing lots of people led to the 'bad' climax...which made me wonder why they made the kill options so enticing.

Either unable or unwilling to play the 'right' way....I just stopped playing 20 minutes in.

The Last of Us, Undertale (the general annoyingness of the fanbase doesn't help), any Tales game, almost any FPS shooter, Bethesda RPGs.
I never understand the comments where it's the "fanbase" that is the barrier. Is the fanbase whispering in your ear as you're playing something? Playing a game, especially a single player game like Undertale, is a completely individual experience. Regardless of how big or loud or whatever a fanbase is, it isn't there while you're playing. That reason always comes across as a lame excuse IMO

Robot Pants

So many just off the top of my head

All the Halos
Gears of War 4
Sunset overdrive
Gears UE
All the resistances

And all mobas

Oh and half life 3 cause it'll never come out

KevinCow

Banned
Rayman 3

I've tried playing it on three separate occasions. All three times, something went wrong and I couldn't play it. First time was a Gamecube disc that turned out to be scratched. Returned it to Gamestop and they didn't have any replacements, so I got something else. Second time was a PS2 disc that seemed to work at first, but failed to load some vital stuff in the first level so I couldn't complete it. Third time I don't entirely remember, but I think maybe I tried playing it for the PC and it kept crashing? Something like that.

Anyway, it's become clear to me that the universe just doesn't want me to play Rayman 3 for some reason.

I would never play an Assassin Creed title, I gave AC II a shot back in the day, got really bored, really quick, I've never had any interest to play any of them since.

Same as above applies to Final Fantasy series, Japan anime, or JRPG's just do not appeal to me.

There are tons of games or rather more accurately many genres I just can't get into for the life of me.

The only competitive online game I play is SFIV (USFIV) I guess I would play SFV as well if I had a capable PC or a PS4.

The only other online competitive game I spend many hours playing was Uncharted 2 multiplayer.

I can never play Call of Duty or Battlefield types of games online, although I do enjoy the single player campaign modes of those games... no matter how short or/and crappy.

Mostly MMOs, RTS', JRPGs, Anime inspired games and such, and lot of the PC titles in the spirit of Kerbal S.P. Tower Defense, God (build your world), Sim series etc. Would never play... I guess you can argue I am "casual" gamer, but I have beaten all the Fallout games since Fallout 3, all the GTA games since GTA3, All the Resident Evil games from one to 5 .. I don't want to touch 6 with a ten foot pole... I always like to see games to the end (ones that do have an ending) And I always like to play games on the hardest difficulty.. unless there's "crushing".

And yeah.. I probably put in like 10,000 hours in SFIV online.

Daft Punk

Banned
I never understand the comments where it's the "fanbase" that is the barrier. Is the fanbase whispering in your ear as you're playing something? Playing a game, especially a single player game like Undertale, is a completely individual experience. Regardless of how big or loud or whatever a fanbase is, it isn't there while you're playing. That reason always comes across as a lame excuse IMO

It's more so, "I'm sick of hearing about this game, the memes, the cries of 'greatest game ever!' that I just don't want to play it at all." I felt that way about Life is Strange (until I finally started it up. It's ok) and that's how I currently feel about Undertale. The hype has turned me off to it.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
You have a point, but I have to admit, I completely understand what they mean. Sometimes a fan base is so irritating, that I can't help but forever associate that irritability with the game in question. I always try to avoid that, but sometimes it's inevitable unfortunately.

It's more so, "I'm sick of hearing about this game, the memes, the cries of 'greatest game ever!' that I just don't want to play it at all." I felt that way about Life is Strange (until I finally started it up. It's ok) and that's how I currently feel about Undertale. The hype has turned me off to it.
It's a valid way to feel. I didn't play TLOU for ages because of the toxic way fans responded to criticism of it.

No but it's kind of annoying to have part of your social media feed somewhere turn into Toby Fox's personal unpaid, overzealous PR team. I mean, in general I feel apathetic about Undertale, and then my mind can't help but make the connection with an irritating fanbase when I do think about it, which doesn't make me any more likely to want to play it.

No but it's kind of annoying to have part of your social media feed somewhere turn into Toby Fox's personal unpaid, overzealous PR team. I mean, in general I feel apathetic about Undertale, and then my mind can't help but make the connection with an irritating fanbase when I do think about it, which doesn't make me any more likely to want to play it.
I guess it depends on what your social media is like. I never come into contact with that kind of stuff

I can understand the desire to avoid hyperbole. I was much the same way when I first encountered the fanaticism for it. Once I saw the thread about it having one of the highest PC game Metacritic scores, and read the reviews that were rating it so highly, I realized that that fanaticism sprung up because it was actually that good.

Skewed expectations can ruin one's enjoyment too. I've gone back to the great classics like Fallout 1 & 2, and Deus Ex, and while I can see why they're so acclaimed, I always end up quitting my runs halfway through. They're just too dated for me.

The sad truth,

I can't play JRPGs and bigger open world games committed, I just don't have the time to progress in them, but I own all of them

At this point, gaming for me has really been about trying to play the titles Im actually interested in, which are various titles throughout all platforms.

Last of Us
Uncharted 2
Battlefield
GTA
Call of Duty

Not that they are bad, for some reason I just can't get around to them. Though I actually want to play Ucharted 2... just don't see it happening anytime soon lol. I can say "oh that trailer is cool" but I certainly won't be interested in buying them, at least day . That said when I played entries in these franchises I did not think they were terrible. Aside from GTA which, outside the comedy aspects did not appeal at all, terrible story, characters, and especially controls.

Lagamorph

MOBAs.
Just...seriously, how the hell does anyone enjoy playing this, let alone watching other people play.
Not to mention the incredibly toxic community surrounding them.

Also, Souls games. Tried the first and it was difficult by being cheap, not challenging. Of course any criticism of PRAISE THE GOAT SOULS!!!!! is met with "git gud" bullshit.

I'll give anything a shot, but iphone games that look bad or moba's that look generic really don't interest me. Example, I will never play paragon. It looks like the most generic game the ps4 could have.

KevinCow

Banned
I will never, ever touch Fire Emblem Fates because I'm still, and will forever be, salty as fuck that fucking Corrin made it in as the final DLC character in Smash 4.

Monocle

Realistic military shooters. I've tried quite a few and I just can't get into them.

I like stabbing people with bayonets and other pointy things though. That part is OK.

GTA
Final Fantasy
Assassin's Creed
Far Cry
Deus Ex
Dead Space
BioShock
Mass Effect

Call of Duty
Battlefield
Sports games
Xenoblade Chronicles X

I don't play a whole lot to be honest.
stahp

So much fun you're not having...

this

Also most Nintendo games just do not appeal to me, especially Mario related (except MK)

Bayonetta
MOBAs
GTA series
Most Japanese RPG
Do you like action games? Or, you know, good games? You're making a huge mistake.

I can't think of any to be honest. I definitely respect the OP, but I don't think other users comprehended the main point. This topic reeks of close mindedness because of the massive dismissal of game genres and series.

Realistically, I won't be able play most games on Sega Saturn because of the high prices and lack of re-releases. Otherwise, I would be willing to play them.

SomTervo

Indeed, that's a huge misconception. There's not of ton freedom in the campaign missions, the player has very little agenda.

Uh, okay? You're not wrong, but that's irrelevant.

The person talked about beating randos up. You only do that when free roaming. There's no mission in the game that says 'Go beat up a rando.'

I mean this is true. But having played through 3 GTAs now I can understand how the whole schtick can be unappealing. The games are long and the 'joke' can only be sustained for a while. I think it's one reason I enjoyed RDR so much, it was so nice not having to deal with that tiresome set up. I guess I like the structure of the game but the setting leaves me fairly cold.

Not untrue, but the schtick isn't a reason to skip the entire series. There's plenty of great gameplay to be had there.

I doubt very much I'll play any Assassin's Creed games other than IV. It's not that they look bad to me as much as when they come out, I'm usually playing something else.

Shtof

Call of Duty. Popular twitchy-shooter with what I understand is fast, addictive gameplay. Too bad its art design is bland and unimaginative and the game world feels very static and lacking in features.

J-Roderton

Silent Hill
Bioshock
Uncharted Series
Elder Scrolls
Assassins Creed series. Rented the first one and it was just awful.

N30RYU

any real life simulator aka Sims

also any other nintendo game/console. WiiU is my last nintendo console.

DarkTom

Anything Warcraft related. I tried Heartstone but I find the design so hideous that I could not stand it more than 15 minutes.

Steejee

On the broad side:
Anything from EA
MOBAs
Sports games
Simulation racing games

More specifically I'm probably never going to play any of the PS4/XBox One exclusives at this rate - I have too big a backlog of PC/WiiU/3DS games to go through, and neither has enough I'm really interested in to override that. I'd be more inclined to pick up a PS4 at some point, but now I'm in the 'Wait for Neo to see what's up' boat, which may push me back into 'never bother' territory.

For more specific big games, GTA and AssCreed are two I'll probably never touch again. GTA3 was the last I really got into. Never going to bother with CoD, future Far Crys, and I doubt I'll ever get an MGS game.

Despite all that my actual collection of games is fairly diverse as far as genre/style. An X-Com run was my last game, currently playing Bravely Default, and Witcher 3 / SOMA / Stellaris are on my near future list.

Still don't get the appeal of GTA titles. I kinda stopped after 3 and every time I pick a new one up, it doesn't hold my interest past a 20-40% mission completion.

Also Minecraft is too ugly for me to play, I'm visually turned off, but I love the idea of virtual Legos.

Top Bottom